Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Ireland

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    2-3 times after having a bad experience i have gotten into a African taxi driver and i always ended up regretting it.

Most taxi drivers don't appreciate being entered in fairness so I'm not surprised the experience was bad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

ste551 banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I regularly use taxis during the weekend and I have rarely ever had a problem with them, whether they be Irish or foreign. When I read about people saying that "The Irish taxi driver's days are numbered" I just put it down to our seemingly in-built Irish inferiority complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Which Supreme Court Judgment do you refer to? 1990 ?

The year was actually 1992, my bad. Abortion in limited circumstances, the x case, has never been legislated for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

One white Irish man beats a black man, the entire country is racist.

One black non Irish taxi man rapes a woman and all black non Irish taxi men are evil.

Human logic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

no, irish logic

• Registered Users Posts: 17 little feat

cloptrop wrote: »
    If you honestly think someone from poland would be refused payment because they arnt paying long enough your quite niaeve. As if the goverment would just let someone starve.

Theyll let you starve in Poland though. There if you leave a job you'll get minimum benefit for 3 months and if you're sacked you get it for six months and after that not a sausage, diddlysquat. You can beg at the church. Here you can arrive and do a spot of waitressing and then settle down to a life on benefits till you pop your clogs. Anyone who thinks this can go on forever is insane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Nodin wrote: »
    The year was actually 1992, my bad. Abortion in limited circumstances, the x case, has never been legislated for.

fair enough, that was partially dealt with by the ECtHR. What has that to do with this topic? Ireland has also , as seen by Metock 2008, ignored immigration issues.

fair enough, that was partially dealt with by the ECtHR. What has that to do with this topic? Ireland has also , as seen by Metock 2008, ignored immigration issues.

....that a court order doesn't neccesarily equate to the enaction of legislation. Thus until I see a minister/department stating that it has been, I remain to be convinced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Nodin wrote: »
    ....that a court order doesn't neccesarily equate to the enaction of legislation. Thus until I see a minister/department stating that it has been, I remain to be convinced.

Don't hold your breath, expect another referendum

Again, what has this to do with racism and immigration

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭nosey guy

Irish are the fatest ,and probably drink more per head than most countries.and I would have to say probably has the most ignorant population when it comes to other races in all of europe. That is the simple truth. Im irish by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

nosey guy wrote: »
    Irish are the fatest ,and probably drink more per head than most countries.and I would have to say probably has the most ignorant population when it comes to other races in all of europe. That is the simple truth. Im irish by the way.

Hmm, good point. And I assume you have actual evidence to back up this claim or are you confusing your own opinion with fact?

Hmm, good point. And I assume you have actual evidence to back up this claim or are you confusing your own opinion with fact?

OECD..and

.[24] A 2008 EU-MIDIS survey of attitudes to minorities in the 27 EU States found that Ireland had the most racist attitudes to black Africans in the entire EU.[25]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Oh you're one of those self-hating Irish are you? :rolleyes:

No i just happen to have been born here.

And am aware of the facts.

Thats all.

Don't hold your breath, expect another referendum

Again, what has this to do with racism and immigration

...your implication that because a case had gone to a court in Europe it would be automatically enacted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

OECD

:confused:
    I would have to say probably has the most ignorant population when it comes to other races in all of europe. That is the simple truth.
    [24] A 2008 EU-MIDIS survey of attitudes to minorities in the 27 EU States found that Ireland had the most racist attitudes to black Africans in the entire EU.

Did you actually read that report? It doesn't say that "Ireland had the most racist attitudes to black Africans in the entire EU."

It shows that there are various other EU nations in which there are higher rates of racial discrimination against various ethnicities than there is in Ireland. It also says that Malta had the highest rate of cases of discrimination towards Africans. Ireland only had the highest rate of discrimination towards Sub-Saharan Africans but it was a lower rate than that of Malta.

So basically, the report says that racial discrimination is widespread throughout Europe, including Ireland (I'm not denying that). It is not evidence that Ireland "has the most ignorant population when it comes to other races in all of europe."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

:confused:

Did you actually read that report? It doesn't say that "Ireland had the most racist attitudes to black Africans in the entire EU."

It shows that there are various other EU nations in which there are higher rates of racial discrimination against various ethnicities than there is in Ireland. It also says that Malta had the highest rate of cases of discrimination towards Africans. Ireland only had the highest rate of discrimination towards Sub-Saharan Africans but it was a lower rate than that of Malta.

So basically, the report says that racial discrimination is widespread throughout Europe, including Ireland (I'm not denying that). It is not evidence that Ireland "has the most ignorant population when it comes to other races in all of europe."

I wouldnt worry about it too much , Im Irish and white, Im not racist but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I dont lose sleep if Ireland is rated as racist .I also dont care about the price farmers are getting for eggs in moyross. I do care about the state of the construction industry , and the housing market.
    Why do people lose so much sleep over a taxi man who doesnt like black people. Why does it affect you . Its his brain let him blame who he wants for his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Suppose that's what happens in a country that continually puts itself down, maybe it's the old Catholic guilt we hear so much about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I have only skimmed through this thread so bear with me if I am repeating anything that's already been said and or concluded.

I am an african girl (I find it hard to refer to myself as a woman even though I am 28 but I digress) who's been living and going to university here for the last six months and I have to say, I have been pleasantly surprised. I didn't really know what to expect when I first came out here. Have I met with racism? Some. Are Irish people generally racist? I don't think so. Then again, this is just my experience and I am sure there are people here who have experienced hard core racism and would beg to differ but I imagine one is going to meet with elements of hard core racism wherever one goes and this is not unique to Ireland.

All I am saying is that yes, I have been on the receiving end of unsavoury comments from a few ignorant people but I have also been on the receiving end of kindness and overall niceness from lots more people so I would argue that Irish people are a lot nicer and more tolerant than they are being given credit for on this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement