Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Leftist wrote: »
    Really? you would recognise the difference, based on appearance between a nigerian and senegalese or congolese?

Oh but the fact that people treat travellers as second class citizens is enough reason for the blacks to shut up moaning.

It's unbelievable. and some cretin has just after suggesting that we can't even say black ice as a means to degrade the damage racism can do to a community.

its not a good idea to refer to other posters as cretins, but if thats the level you are at.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

So is this thread about taxi noes ?

Back to the subject. Is Ireland rascist yes it's.

I've been on the bus and when the bus is full the last place one sit is beside the foreigner and some would rather stand than to sit next to a foreigner.

When I mean foreigner I'm not talking about Easter Europeans enemy though they're I talking about Africans Indians pakistans etc.

The thing most people don't not do it on purpose, some dont know they even do it.

Subconsciously they're being rascist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Jesus Christ.

FENTON!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Fuinseog wrote: »
    while the dude in Naas should have expressed himself in more diplomatic fashion he spoke the truth.

The truth?

here's the transcript:
    I just made the decision, a conscious decision, earlier this year, that I just was not going to, myself personally, was not going to take on representations from black Africans.

Forget you. You're a lost cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it's a stupid question.

You are basically asking me if black people acted all the same could I then form an opinion of them based on their race.

IT's like asking if every Protestant you met was rude, would you think protestants were rude.

Why would they all be rude? it's absolute horse ****.
    So what youre saying is, when it comes to groups of people, you are incapable or unwilling to learn and make judgements based on past experiences. In evolutionary terms thats quite an unfortunate trait, perhaps youre missing a chromosome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

So is this thread about taxi noes ?

Back to the subject. Is Ireland rascist yes it's.

I've been on the bus and when the bus is full the last place one sit is beside the foreigner and some would rather stand than to sit next to a foreigner.

When I mean foreigner I'm not talking about Easter Europeans enemy though they're I talking about Africans Indians pakistans etc.

The thing most people don't not do it on purpose, some dont know they even do it.

Subconsciously they're being rascist.

never noticed that one to be honest. I certainly have no problem with it, even it they have their bag on the empty seat I will still request space, which they sometime only grudgingly give.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Fuinseog banned.

So what youre saying is, when it comes to groups of people, you are incapable or unwilling to learn and make judgements based on past experiences. In evolutionary terms thats quite an unfortunate trait, perhaps youre missing a chromosome?

Yes, the fact that I am not willing to associate an entire race with a couple of unsavoury individuals makes me unevolved.

Brilliant stuff.

BNP called. Wants to know if you can stop embarrasing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Irish people have a strong reputation for racism. As emigrants to USA, Uk and Australia.
    It comes from our enviroment, which was dominated by one race, one religion and sectarianism.
    Oh would you ever fuck off. Between this nonsense and the thread about fat Irish people, maybe you could go post on a website in the UK rather than trolling this one like a good lad.

Irish people have a strong reputation for racism.
    Yes, the fact that I am not willing to associate an entire race with a couple of unsavoury individuals
    ...unless they happen to be Irish right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Every country has racists. Ireland is no different.

End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 limerickbanter

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    excuse me for interupting your little rant, free speech is what I believed everyone is entitled to and I think your missing the point completely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think you are full of bull Leftist - I'm mixed race and rarely suffer racism -

Yes, the fact that I am not willing to associate an entire race with a couple of unsavoury individuals makes me unevolved.

Brilliant stuff.

BNP called. Wants to know if you can stop embarrasing them.
    BNP eh?
    Perhaps you'd like to call me a nazi next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

There are only two things I hate: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Irish.:rolleyes:

But in fairness Irish isn't a race.

While I applaud Leftist's contempt of racism, I think he's going too far in his crusade, in accusing most Irish people of being racist. while there is undoubtably racism in Ireland (and any is too much) I think Leftist's accusations are exaggerated and unfounded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Wait until you read the replies to that from the knuckle draggers.

The thread about the FG mayor of naas really brought them out of their holes.

Irish people have a strong reputation for racism. As emigrants to USA, Uk and Australia.
    It comes from our enviroment, which was dominated by one race, one religion and sectarianism.

Interesting to see he describes himself as a 'coloured man'. Alan Hansen was deemed a racist for using this description recently. It really is a funny ole world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 limerickbanter

I think nobody should be PC, if someone called me coloured it would affend me. Im black call me black! What Id advise is to get in that black taxi drivers car hes not gonna kill you, sit beside that person of colour on the bus whatever nationality there not gonna bite. Appreciate our differences Ireland has come along way since I was growing up. Im black but I class myself as Irish, proud of that. Read up on what black people had to go threw. Be more tolerant and acceptant. Always remember the irish were once imigrants and are again now can you imagine your family member in australia recieving racism you wouldnt like it. So dont do it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I always find the people that make the biggest noise about racism are people that have never experienced it and probably never witnessed any.

As a non white living in Ireland I can honestly say I don't find Irish people racist on the whole. Of course there are some idiots that will use ones race when arguing or just being a scumbag in general. If a different color or race wasn't available to them they'd use something else. To me racism isn't the real motivation for a lot of the instances of racism reported.

I actually find Ireland very PC about stuff like that. I was out recently and a girl asked me where I was from and general inquisitive questions about my race while we were talking. I then heard her friend a while later tell her not to be asking that as it's a bit racist. What a load of bollix. Had to say it to the girl that she should have no worries asking those types of questions.

poor irish again. Weep for erin on a cliff of potatos for me. 800 years of oppression. Nobody knows the troubles we've seen.

give me a break.

• Advertisement

BNP eh?
    Perhaps you'd like to call me a nazi next?

why don't you delve more into your 10 black men theory.

So kids, if 10/10 black people are bad, are all black people to be avoided?

If you disagree you are evolutionarily inferior.

Belgium called, wants to know if you can take the congo back for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hibernianeggs

Sure I wouldnt be able to commit to the whole racism thing. The farming takes up most of the day and at night I just like a cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

poor irish again. Weep for erin on a cliff of potatos for me. 800 years of oppression. Nobody knows the troubles we've seen.

give me a break.

Is that the only response you can give when someone questions your views or do you have any real reason/evidence that most Irish people are racist and everyone of any other race is destined to be abused here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

give me a break.

Not really, he kind of has a point there. You say it's bad to make judgements about entire groups of people, but you have stated that Irish people have a strong reputation for racism and you then go on to imply that being a whingey complainer is a very Irish trait.

I think Doc has a valid point...and i think it's as simple as we can, all of us, occasionally say things that might be perceived as being judgmental generalisations but this does not always mean there is a racist motivation behind them.

I mean, i don't think you have any particular issue with Irish people, i just think you can't see the disconnect between some of your posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I think the poor standard of the African/Aisan drivers puts a lot of people off and also they huge numbers of them that came in the last few years

How are so many Non Eu nationals working in the taxi trade?Is there a skill shortage in the industry?

Dublin and Limerick seem to have huge numbers since 2007 and before that i cant rememember getting an African/Aisan driver

But in fairness Irish isn't a race.
    More of a race than many European countries. Even were that not the case, of course you can be racist against Irish people, in the same way you can be racist against Polish people or Nigerian people. That the Irish were most often on the receiving end of racism as emigrants makes his comment all the more galling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

i find it gas the way some people speak of 'knackers' but will not tolerate a bad word against 'blacks'

From the way I'v heard the word 'knacker' used over the past ten or twenty years, its become more a word used to describe 'someone of low morals' instead of a derogatory term for a traveler. I don't think its fair to compare the usage of the terms.

I don't believe that the default Irish mentality is one of racism, I think its a minority of attention craving idiots who have learned that they get the most attention if they spout racist dogma.

Not really, he kind of has a point there. You say it's bad to make judgements about entire groups of people, but you have stated that Irish people have a strong reputation for racism and you then go on to imply that being a whingey complainer is a very Irish trait.

I think Doc has a valid point...and i think it's as simple as we can, all of us, occasionally say things that might be perceived as being judgmental generalisations but this does not always mean there is a racist motivation behind them.

I mean, i don't think you have any particular issue with Irish people, i just think you can't see the disconnect between some of your posts.

And I think it's absolutely classic irish (as an irishman; 100% pure white btw) that the topic of racism within Ireland towards black people can be turned into victimhood of irish people, by another irish person.

Do you see where I'm coming from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Whats funny is the amount of posters that use Nigeria.

Lool if I woke some up at night an ask we're you from ? NIGERIA.

Hahaha

why don't you delve more into your 10 black men theory.

So kids, if 10/10 black people are bad, are all black people to be avoided?

If you disagree you are evolutionarily inferior.

Belgium called, wants to know if you can take the congo back for them?

Youre missing the point, presumably on purpose.

If someone takes 10 taxis in a month, all the drivers are black and all are negative experiences, it does not follow that this person will have a dislike for all black people. However, the next time this person takes a taxi, I wouldnt blame them for avoiding the black drivers, you see? And yes, by definition making decisions based on race IS racist but a person is entirely within their rights to do so.
    Dont personally avoid back cabbies btw

And I think it's absolutely classic irish (as an irishman; 100% pure white btw) that the topic of racism within Ireland towards black people can be turned into victimhood of irish people, by another irish person.

Do you see where I'm coming from there?

I do indeed, but i also think that follows the same kind of logic as the 10/10 black men argument from earlier in the thread.

I mean, you could simply call that person out on there opinion, instead of making it a "classically Irish" thing, making jibes about potatoes etc etc

That is basically my point...it's very easy to say things that others might construe as being racist where no racist intent was meant.

Although i guess a better term there would be prejudiced instead of racist maybe?

• Advertisement

Youre missing the point, presumably on purpose.

If someone takes 10 taxis in a month, all the drivers are black and all are negative experiences, it does not follow that this person will have a dislike for all black people. However, the next time this person takes a taxi, I wouldnt blame them for avoiding the black drivers, you see? And yes, by definition making decisions based on race IS racist but a person is entirely within their rights to do so.
    Dont personally avoid back cabbies btw

I see your question, did from the start, I just think it's ridiculous.

You're basing it on some wild notion that you will get obnoxious bad services from 10 individual taxi drivers in succession.

It's entirely speculative.

if you had bad experiences with 10 jewish money lenders, would you use an 11th etc.

That whole notion is fertile soil for racism imo.

I do indeed, but i also think that follows the same kind of logic as the 10/10 black men argument from earlier in the thread.

I mean, you could simply call that person out on there opinion, instead of making it a "classically Irish" thing, making jibes about potatoes etc etc

That is basically my point...it's very easy to say things that others might construe as being racist where no racist intent was meant.

Although i guess a better term there would be prejudiced instead of racist maybe?

Do you really think as an Irish man, a white catholic (raised) irishman, making culturally self depreciating remarks, can be equated in any way, with white on black racism?

Or could even be construed as racist?

I'm belittling the age old irish sensitivity of victimhood.

Do you really think as an Irish man, a white catholic (raised) irishman, making culturally self depreciating remarks, can be equated in any way, with white on black racism?

Me personally, nope. I am simply saying that other people might take something up as being prejudiced.

You're basing it on some wild notion that you will get obnoxious bad services from 10 individual taxi drivers in succession.

if you had bad experiences with 10 jewish money lenders, would you use an 11th etc.

Fertile soil indeed.
    I guess what I'm really asking is, should people be allowed to exercise their own reasoned judgement and free will without fear of cries of "RACIST!" ?

Personally I dont mind being called a racist, I know in myself what I am and anything that separates me from the awful souless snivelling crawling penpushing creeps that make up the PC brigade is to be welcomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

i would distinguish between a dark skinned african and a nigerian. if you are around them long enough you recognise the differences. i find it hilarious that three nigerians could use the same ID and Irish people would not recognise teh difference

I know you're banned, but still, LOL at being able to tell a Nigerian from say a Ghanian just by looking at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Took three taxis in the past couple of months: the first was a black guy who asked if it was okay to stop the meter and help out a cyclist who'd come off his bike (it absolutely was; luckily the cyclist wasn't badly hurt), the second was another black guy who didn't talk at all except to confirm where he was going (suited me grand as I was in no fit state to engage in conversation), and the third was a white Dubliner who spent the journey telling my girlfriend that teachers were lazy overpaid parasites who didn't deserve half of what they were getting - AFTER she mentioned the fact that she's training as a teacher.

For whatever reason, the classic obnoxious-taximan archetype doesn't seem to have transferred to the non-native taxi drivers, in Dublin at least. The ones I get are either friendly and easygoing, or just don't talk much. Far better in both cases than someone mouthing off at all the things he thinks are wrong about the country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

your trolling is reeling in lots.

do you not see the error in your arguments?

on one hand, you say an entire race can not be judged based on a sample group.

yet you are calling 'most' of Ireland racists based on the same principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

racism is part of my culture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭zindicato

m a foreigner myself living here in ireland for 6 yrs, racism if you are a foreigner living in a different country is to be expected but it depends on you how you react when it happens to you.

One of the main thing that i find absolutely stupid is generalization/ stereotyping, putting people in the same category bcos of skin colour or comes from the same community ex. travelling community.

I hate hearing the words that foreigners are only here to have kids and collect from the social..or we are here because of the benefits.

I manage a nursing home and my wife works as a nurse for one of the hospices here in Dublin.

I always tell my wife that if its just insults or words they use against you just to let it go. but there were instances were in she was walking on the road and a group of teenagers blocked her and one of the girls that was in the group smacked her on the side of the head and told her to go back where she came from and ran away.

One time we were out visiting our friends near crumlin we had the baby in the buggy waiting for the bus on the side of the road when a car slowed down and a passenger threw a bottle in our direction while shouting profanities, the glass broke but luckily didnt hit us.

The other people who were in the area were very apologetic, Dont get me wrong ive been here long now and i like it here compared to Austria.... majority of the irish people are decent, lovely people..... its just a shame that some people are narrow minded plus with the economy gone to bits there would be finger pointing everywhere and unfortunately emigrants/ foreigners based on social history tends to get some of the blame.

I lived on mainland europe ( austria ) for 7 yrs before coming here. One thing that gets me here is that most foreigners dont try that hard to integrate themselves into the local community ex. learn the language, learn the customs, some of the things that's acceptable in your country is not acceptable here., where you are living try to befriend your neighbours cos you might need thier help someday or they might be needing your help right now and try to not to judge them too.

All in all at the end of the day we have to adjust to our new adopted country and they dont have to adjust to us.

Me personally, nope. I am simply saying that other people might take something up as being prejudiced.

ell, to be frankly honest I couldn't give a flying fart.

If someone thinks it's hurtful that an irish man says something bad about ireland then I think I'll get over it. Especially when they themselves haven't uttered a word in opposition to actual racism.

Fertile soil indeed.
    I guess what I'm really asking is, should people be allowed to exercise their own reasoned judgement and free will without fear of cries of "RACIST!" ?

You're saying that if you had 10 experiences that shaped your opinion of an entire race, that it is expected that you would learn from that point, to associate all members of that race with that same behaviour.

And then you play the pc gone mad card.

Just, think about it for a second instead of replying the same rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Africa is an exploited corrupt sh*thole and we should at least try and offer some of them a better life.

In Africa for sure, they have better climate, minerals, soil etc ~ what needs to stop is despot black governments giving 12 years old's Kalashnikovs and a thousand rounds.

Read up on the slave trade to get an idea of what happened to Africa and by whom. Eye Opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

You're saying that if you had 10 experiences that shaped your opinion of an entire race, that it is expected that you would learn from that point, to associate all members of that race with that same behaviour.

Again, oh the irony.

zindicato wrote: »
    m a foreigner myself living here in ireland for 6 yrs, racism if you are a foreigner living in a different country is to be expected but it depends on you how you react when it happens to you.

One of the main thing that i find absolutely stupid is generalization/ stereotyping, putting people in the same category bcos of skin colour or comes from the same community ex. travelling community.

I hate hearing the words that foreigners are only here to have kids and collect from the social..or we are here because of the benefits.

I manage a nursing home and my wife works as a nurse for one of the hospices here in Dublin.

I always tell my wife that if its just insults or words they use against you just to let it go. but there were instances were in she was walking on the road and a group of teenagers blocked her and one of the girls that was in the group smacked her on the side of the head and told her to go back where she came from and ran away.

One time we were out visiting our friends near crumlin we had the baby in the buggy waiting for the bus on the side of the road when a car slowed down and a passenger threw a bottle in our direction while shouting profanities, the glass broke but luckily didnt hit us.

The other people who were in the area were very apologetic, Dont get me wrong ive been here long now and i like it here compared to Austria.... majority of the irish people are decent, lovely people..... its just a shame that some people are narrow minded plus with the economy gone to bits there would be finger pointing everywhere and unfortunately emigrants/ foreigners based on social history tends to get some of the blame.

I lived on mainland europe ( austria ) for 7 yrs before coming here. One thing that gets me here is that most foreigners dont try that hard to integrate themselves into the local community ex. learn the language, learn the customs, some of the things that's acceptable in your country is not acceptable here., where you are living try to befriend your neighbours cos you might need thier help someday or they might be needing your help right now and try to not to judge them too.

All in all at the end of the day we have to adjust to our new adopted country and they dont have to adjust to us.

That is disgusting. Sorry to hear that.

But the real victims here are the irish people who have been insulted on this thread. Their heroics in struggling through such brutal treatment is a lesson to you and your kind.

Just don't ask me to get in your taxi.

Do you really think as an Irish man, a white catholic (raised) irishman
    I don't believe you. Not to say that its impossible, far from it, there are some yokes in this place, but your casual racism towards Irish people under the blanket of "being Irish" comes awfully easily to you, in this and other threads.
    I'm belittling the age old irish sensitivity of victimhood.
    Sensitivity of what? The Irish have been made victims for many years, at home and abroad. If we aren't sensitive about it we bloody should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

classic irish victim mentality that.

Lets ignore racism from irish people towards blacks and turn it into oppression of poor white irish people.

Talking out of your arse then.

Its more of a fact than a statement, no use not seeing how others think and how others percieve people, Its better to know and try to change it than living in denial with your eyes closed.

I am not denying that there is racism in this country. Point out where I did. What I questioned was the claim that most Irish people were racist. That frankly is a load of bollocks and if you agree with that then it is you that has issues with others.
    As someone of mixed race living in that enviroment I wonder who has more experience of this, limerick banter or minstrel (nice choice of name btw).

Oh but the poor irish, 800 years and soup kitchens 150 years ago make us the blacks of europe

More presumptuous nonsense. You know absolutely nothing of my background yet you make rubbish claims. You are no better than those you are criticising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But the real victims here are the irish people who have been insulted on this thread. Their heroics in struggling through such brutal treatment is a lesson to you and your kind.

Your quest for a reaction continues, I see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

gbee wrote: »
    In Africa for sure, they have better climate, minerals, soil etc ~ what needs to stop is despot black governments giving 12 years old's Kalashnikovs and a thousand rounds.

Read up on the slave trade to get an idea of what happened to Africa and by whom. Eye Opening.

Read up on which European nation was ultimately responsible for genocide in Rwanda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭zindicato

Apologies i didnt say where i came from Im a Filipino and no i dont drive a taxi. if that happened to us how bad do you think is it for the '' black community'' with a few people stereotyping them.

there is no insult done here to the irish people....there is only insult to a certain few and insults are meaningless if you disregard them and just consider them as words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Read up on which European nation was ultimately responsible for genocide in Rwanda

I wouldn't bother there.....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75614900&postcount=263

• Advertisement

zindicato wrote: »
    Apologies i didnt say where i came from Im a Filipino and no i dont drive a taxi. if that happened to us how bad do you think is it for the '' black community'' with a few people stereotyping them.

there is no insult done here to the irish people....there is only insult to a certain few and insults are meaningless if you disregard them and just consider them as words.

Sorry pal I was being facetious. An attempt at sarcasm on my part. most of the thread is irish people taking offense to the claim that racism is a big problem in ireland.
    They are more interested in protecting the image of irish people than actually giving a flying fart about real racism towards minorities.

Advertisement