Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Leftist wrote: »
    ell, to be frankly honest I couldn't give a flying fart.

If someone thinks it's hurtful that an irish man says something bad about ireland then I think I'll get over it. Especially when they themselves haven't uttered a word in opposition to actual racism.

You're saying that if you had 10 experiences that shaped your opinion of an entire race, that it is expected that you would learn from that point, to associate all members of that race with that same behaviour.

And then you play the pc gone mad card.

Just, think about it for a second instead of replying the same rubbish.
    What about hotels avoiding hosting traveller weddings or bars refusing admission to stags and hens, why would businesses turn away paying customers? Clearly due to negative experiences with these groups in the past.

If a person has had a couple of bad experiences with black taxi drivers, it is an unfortunate but entirely natural consequence that the person with avoid black drivers in the future. It is unfair to the guys driving their cabs who never met this person and do a good job, but such is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 limerickbanter

I am not denying that there is racism in this country. Point out where I did. What I questioned was the claim that most Irish people were racist. That frankly is a load of bollocks and if you agree with that then it is you that has issues with others.

There are geniune people in this country who except others with tolerence its a lovely thing to see. I want to make it perfectly clear to others and yourself that yes a lot of people are! have you ever experienced racism yourself ? Probably not. The point Im tryin to make is that the Iris arent really as tolerant as they could be. If I had an argument with someone the first thing they would point out is my race. I have a strong irish accent grew up here all my life on my passport it says Im Irish but the first thing they point out is my ethnicity. This comment may mean nothing to you but maybe It would change 1 persons opinion on tolerence and acceptance. Thats the point Im getting across.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

most of the thread is irish people taking offense to the claim that racism is a big problem in ireland.
    They are more interested in protecting the image of irish people than actually giving a flying fart about real racism towards minorities.
    But sure you were carrying on at great length about how fat Irish people were yesterday, despite being thoroughly demolished. I think there's a problem here alright and its not Irish people.

Did an Irish person eat your swans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

What about hotels avoiding hosting traveller weddings or bars refusing admission to stags and hens, why would businesses turn away paying customers? Clearly due to negative experiences with these groups in the past.

If a person has had a couple of bad experiences with black taxi drivers, it is an unfortunate but entirely natural consequence that the person with avoid black drivers in the future. It is unfair to the guys driving their cabs who never met this person and do a good job, but such is life.

Please.

Don't even do that.

Just, don't.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    But sure you were carrying on at great length about how fat Irish people were yesterday, despite being thoroughly demolished. I think there's a problem here alright and its not Irish people.

Did an Irish person eat your swans?

Oh poor doc, I'm sooo sorry. :(

Get out yer fiddle there lad and we'll sing an auld rebel song.

To be sure the sons of erin won't go down without a fight begorrah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 limerickbanter

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Talking out of your arse then.

I am not denying that there is racism in this country. Point out where I did. What I questioned was the claim that most Irish people were racist. That frankly is a load of bollocks and if you agree with that then it is you that has issues with others.

More presumptuous nonsense. You know absolutely nothing of my background yet you make rubbish claims. You are no better than those you are criticising.
    Please.

Don't even do that.

Just, don't.

Leftist I think youve gone so far from the point its crazy, You mean well but its a little to PC. Makes me wonder have you ever encountered racism at all in your life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Sorry pal I was being facetious. An attempt at sarcasm on my part. most of the thread is irish people taking offense to the claim that racism is a big problem in ireland.
    They are more interested in protecting the image of irish people than actually giving a flying fart about real racism towards minorities.

still going?

how can you claim that you can judge an entire nation on a sample group.

and on the other hand get extremley upset at some people who try judge a race on a sample group?

I know you are just trolling, but do you not see the irony in your arguments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Fuinseog wrote: »
    some Irish do not like travelers, based on previous experience. with nigerians its no different. why suffer in silence and pay for the priveledge?

i would distinguish between a dark skinned african and a nigerian. if you are around them long enough you recognise the differences. i find it hilarious that three nigerians could use the same ID and Irish people would not recognise teh difference

Just wanted you to know what you wrote up there is total BS and very moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

This wont matter eventually as the world will be coffee coloured shortly.

This century will be known for it's phenomenon of miscegenation at a higher rate than ever before thanks to globalisation.

You'll see countries like America, Australia, Canada, and even countries like Britain become minority-majority nations somepoint all this century I reckon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Yep, an African taxi driver said the same thing to me about 2 months ago here in Dublin. He told me he gets racist abuse all the time, and every day somebody slams the door on him upon seeing he is black. He said, "It is ignorance. You wouldn't get this attitude in England or America." I had to agree with him.

bruschi wrote: »
    still going?

how can you claim that you can judge an entire nation on a sample group.

and on the other hand get extremley upset at some people who try judge a race on a sample group?

I know you are just trolling, but do you not see the irony in your arguments?

I'm irish pal. I'm aware of our cultural idiosyncrasies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

so, really the story is 'Taxi driver gets attacked'.
    is it cos he is black? No, it's because he is a taxi driver and has to deal with a fair amount of pissed up scum.

As for 'qualified accountant', is his qualification relevant here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Vomit wrote: »
    You wouldn't get this attitude in England

Leftist I think youve gone so far from the point its crazy, You mean well but its a little to PC. Makes me wonder have you ever encountered racism at all in your life.

he equated banning stag parties from hotels to avoiding services provided by black people.

Think about it.

so, really the story is 'Taxi driver gets attacked'.
    is it cos he is black? No, it's because he is a taxi driver and has to deal with a fair amount of pissed up scum.

As for 'qualified accountant', is his qualification relevant here?

here we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Oh poor doc, I'm sooo sorry. :(

Get out yer fiddle there lad and we'll sing an auld rebel song.

To be sure the sons of erin won't go down without a fight begorrah.
    Maybe you can give us a sneak preview of whats to come and just list off all the distasteful attributes you believe "Irish people" have.
    • Racist
    • Fat
    • ..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Just wanted you to know what you wrote up there is total BS and very moronic.

Can you explain to me your reply. Why is it BS. I'm white and I think I understand the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Maybe you can give us a sneak preview of whats to come and just list off all the distasteful attributes you believe "Irish people" have.
    • Racist
    • Fat
    • ..?

* Fiddles
    * Songs
    * Father Ted

• Racist
    • Fat
    • ..?

Inferiority complex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Example 1.
    OOH, AAH, PAUL McGRATH

SAY OOH AAH PAUL McGRATH...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Please.

Don't even do that.

Just, don't.

Why because race is soooo sacred and everyone is so sh!t scared of being called a racist (oh nos!) by the thought police.
    People make judgements based on past experiences, always have, race is not immune. Get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Gnobe wrote: »
    This wont matter eventually as the world will be coffee coloured shortly.

This century will be known for it's phenomenon of miscegenation at a higher rate than ever before thanks to globalisation.

You'll see countries like America, Australia, Canada, and even countries like Britain become minority-majority nations somepoint all this century I reckon. :)

There's times I like the idea of everyone being brown but look at Brazil, doesn't seem to work out that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

And I think it's absolutely classic irish (as an irishman; 100% pure white btw) that the topic of racism within Ireland towards black people can be turned into victimhood of irish people, by another irish person.
    But the real victims here are the irish people who have been insulted on this thread. Their heroics in struggling through such brutal treatment is a lesson to you and your kind.

All anyone did was question your belief that most Irish people are racist. And none of the people who disagree with you deny that there is an element of racism present in Ireland, they just want you to show that you have any idea what the hell you're going on about.

You then, instead of replying logically to any of these questions, created this straw man argument of "Irish victims".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

really? described a black person as coloured has no racial implications to you? By describing someone as coloured you are basically lumping all non-whites into a bracket. Really nice. Whites and non-whites, that's the division.

I don't buy the excuse that it was fine in the past. Hanging black people was fine in the past.

what do you mean...it was fine in the past? No,it actually wasn't fine but hey, that statements speakes volumes about you leftist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    For all the uproar on boards about that "Horrible chav English woman" on the tram abusing those immigrants, are we any better? Seems to be happening on a large scale in Ireland. This is shocking stuff, in this day and age Irish people are carrying on like this. I've often seen people avoid taxis because the drivers are black, and I'm ashamed to say I have friends at home who do the same. Are we inherently narrow minded? My own view of it was that Africa is an exploited corrupt sh*thole and we should at least try and offer some of them a better life.

You pay the piper so you call the tune. I would not get into a cab with a yob-looking cab driver nor would I get into a cab if it didn't look clean. Now the former may be a very nice man but have an unfortunate look about him and the latter might be driven by a father of 12. However, as it's my call, I can stay in the queue and pick the one I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Someone should tell this taxi driver that it is unacceptable to use the word coloured, just ask Alan Hansen ( sorry if this was said already i haven't read the full thread)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

1210m5g wrote: »
    Someone should tell this taxi driver that it is unacceptable to use the word coloured, just ask Alan Hansen ( sorry if this was said already i haven't read the full thread)

We will all be looking forward to liverpool togging out in Alan Hansen tee-shirts next weekend so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I have not read the thread but did someone say we should not call the black people coloured . What are we supposed to call them African Irish that's a load of bullsh1t . And for what it's worth I wish a few more of them would go home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

For all the uproar on boards about that "Horrible chav English woman" on the tram abusing those immigrants, are we any better? Seems to be happening on a large scale in Ireland. This is shocking stuff, in this day and age Irish people are carrying on like this. I've often seen people avoid taxis because the drivers are black, and I'm ashamed to say I have friends at home who do the same. Are we inherently narrow minded? My own view of it was that Africa is an exploited corrupt sh*thole and we should at least try and offer some of them a better life.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/lsquoi-get-daily-racist-abuse-for-being-a-coloured-taxi-driverrsquo-2980239.html

go to nigeria and see how racist they are towards white people... what goes around comes around, welcome to life!!

Im afraid I am a racist. More and more when I go for a taxi I can't help hopeing to avoid a white taxi driver. I try and be open minded but I simply can't take any more of the racist ranting, adrian fcuking kennedy or bitching about deregulation. Im not proud of it and I know not all white taxi drivers are Irish. Last week I got a a lovely white guy, hungarian i think, and Im trying to mend my ways

i know plenty of white drivers that are sound. offer better fares that our foreign taxi drivers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

My own view of it was that Africa is an exploited corrupt sh*thole and we should at least try and offer some of them a better life.

Yes
    We can help every country we have colonized and pillaged their resources

Can you make a list?

Or how about the old colonial powers step up and do more instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Yes
    We can help every country we have colonized and pillaged their resources

Can you make a list?
    1: Iona

didnt the "Monk" drive a taxi for years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm a racist.. I try my very best not to be, mostly it works.. But scratch the surface and I'm just like probably everyone else in this thread who has ever cracked a black joke, or laughed at the Chinese car thief joke (Tomi Tukamomo) or the Russian wanker (Pul Mekocoff).

Only pisses me off when people try to be holier than thou about the whole fecking thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I have not read the thread but did someone say we should not call the black people coloured . What are we supposed to call them African Irish that's a load of bullsh1t . And for what it's worth I wish a few more of them would go home

What are you supposed to call a black person? Em let me think.....black?. I'm not white. So would i be colored too or do you just reserve that for black people? I'm Mexican and i'd be expected to be called brown considering i'm as brown as the shít you just wrote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

I'm a racist.. I try my very best not to be, mostly it works.. But scratch the surface and I'm just like probably everyone else in this thread who has ever cracked a black joke, or laughed at the Chinese car thief joke (Tomi Tukamomo) or the Russian wanker (Pul Mekocoff).

Only pisses me off when people try to be holier than thou about the whole fecking thing.

Surely just cracking an ethnic joke doesn't make you a racist does it?

Chinese car thief joke (Tomi Tukamomo)

Japanese ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ah, but if you make a racist joke in a forest and no black person is around to hear it, is it really a joke? Or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

`

I laugh if funny at all sorts of jokes,even paddy Irish/kerry/dublin/men jokes,Depends on the context wouldent think I be a racist or am I ?

• Advertisement

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Surely just cracking an ethnic joke doesn't make you a racist does it?

Depends who you're slagging - see we're all equal, but it would seem that some races are more equal than other's.

What are you supposed to call a black person? Em let me think.....black?. I'm not white. So would i be colored too or do you just reserve that for black people? I'm Mexican and i'd be expected to be called brown considering i'm as brown as the shít you just wrote.

we call you Hommes ;)

Depends who you're slagging - see we're all equal, but it would seem that some races are more equal than other's.

Please continue, really. I also look forward to your follow-up post in the Stephen Lawrence thread.

amacachi wrote: »
    Japanese ffs.

Your thinking of the baby with the sh*tty nappy - Saka Poo Poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I know it's only one man's story, but I've seen it so many times, people skipping taxis because of the driver being black. It's just pathetic, I feel sorry for them.

If you see a black person walk past white drivers to get a black driver do you consider this to be racist too? I have seen this happen too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

listen to matt cooper today fm ..right now

update: if you missed it, there was a black taxi driver based in Ennis talking about the racism he has to deal with on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It comes from our enviroment, which was dominated by one race, one religion and sectarianism.

While true our dislike for these facts are manys reason for embracing multiculturalism more than other countries.

Scumbags will be scumbags, the only part of society I've seen that are truly racist are the older age groups and sure they won't be around for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

This story is going beyond the point of parody, the black taxi driver was attacked not because he was black but the attacker is a thug with 14 previous convictions. The colour of his skin was used to insult him the same way someone uses the term paddy to insult an Irishman or someone with ginger hair or a culchie or jackeen as an insult.

The thug has justifiably received a prison sentence, but many taxi drivers are attacked including Irish drivers and this don’t make the news, why? Because some in Ireland can’t shake off the hand ringing and catholic guilt despite Ireland never being a colonial power.
    While I don’t condone racist behaviour the black community have not done themselves any favours in Ireland, they arrived on mass with nonsense stories about persecution or anchor babies and have had their hand out ever since.

Interestingly despite the apparent racism the man intends to stay in Ireland also the Indian psychiatrist will stay in racist Ireland until his lucrative contract expires in 2016. In the latter case I believe it’s an organised PR stunt by either the Indian guy or some quango trying to protect its funding.

In the case of the taxi driver he was assaulted and the thug is in jail, so I have no idea why the case is being portrayed as a racist incident.

Interestingly the attacker’s first name is not Irish? Thus he cannot be a racist because everybody knows the only racist people in the world are white Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think Ireland has more of a problem with what I would politely refer to as 'vicious scumbags' than it has a problem with racism.

I regularly see instances of intimidating behaviour aimed at all sorts of people and it's always from the same idiots who really should be getting knocked back into line with heavy-duty community service orders.

I've been attacked on the street because I am tall. Some idiot started screaming 'get the lanky f***er' when I was 18 and I ended up with a broken nose.

My grandmother was given a load of nasty abuse on a Dublin bus on several occasions.

I was on a 16 bus in Dublin recently and this bunch of teenager girls got on just south of the river and started giving these two girls who had strong Northside Dublin accents serious abuse. To the point that one of them burst into tears. Stuff like "I don't know why they let northsiders on the bus, the smell!" "OMG, do you shop at Pennys. Can you not afford proper clothes"... etc etc

It's exactly the same mentality that seems to branch out into racism and homophobia.

Another elderly person I know also had some 20-something guy start shouting in her face and threatening her randomly on the street in Dublin with the usual 'whatya looking ah?' nonsense.

None of this is dealt with because there are no consequences for this kind of behaviour and the general public, both here and in Britain, are terrified of these scumbags and won't challenge them as they might have in the past.

Also, we fill our prisons with people who have failed to pay the TV license while we let people who are actually violent criminals out without any penalty at all.

If someone decks someone on a Saturday night, they should go to jail and have a criminal record! Not only that, they should be sued for damages too!

We have violent, petty crime and scumbags threatening people with all sorts of abuse, including racism, because we accept it and we will not do anything about it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement