Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesser spotted Galway

Options
  • 05-01-2012 9:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34

Hi,
    Could anyone be able to tell me of landmarks or special places in Galway that might not be that well known. I'm not back in college until next Tuesday feel like going on an adventure for myself :) any ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hidden valley

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 MikeM

sounds good, can you tell me where it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Merlin Park castle.
    Try to get a book called Hidden Galway by William Henry on the topic.
    Also, did you go to the city museum?

Thanks i will look for that book tomorrow when i am in town, and go to the musuem , i havent gone yet i have being saying for ages i will go so tomorrow i will definitly go. merlin castel yip being dere right beside me so i have that one done. ah i just looking to see if people knew of any places that werent as well know but yet just as nice but i will look for that book thanks for letting me know about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MikeM wrote: »
    ... merlin castel yip being dere right beside me so i have that one done.

You're from the east ... so:

Barna Woods
    Silverstrand
    Rusheen Bay
    Cappagah Park

(dunno what any of 'em will be like in winter)

or even Dominic St :D

• Advertisement

the east? haha not at all no im from thw west. No i just wanted to see were there any hidden gems that i wasnt aware of is all. as for Dominic st ill leave that one until im looking to get in the Roisín late on a Saturday nite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

+1 Cappagh park is nice for a stroll & it joins up with Barna woods.

Half way up/down Circular Rd at the entrance to Bailey (whatever) estate, there is a beautiful view of the city at night. I still like to go up there every now & then, but have fond memories of just watching all the lights as a child.

In Knocknacarra, if you go up to the top of Ard Fraoigh (off Clybaun Rd) there is a pathway that goes up a hill which brings you to a clearing. From here you will be able to see all over Knocknacarra & Galway Bay. Again it's cool at night (bring a friend), but on a sunny day it's beautiful also.

+1 Cappagh park is nice for a stroll & it joins up with Barna woods.

Half way up/down Circular Rd at the entrance to Bailey (whatever) estate, there is a beautiful view of the city at night. I still like to go up there every now & then, but have fond memories of just watching all the lights as a child.

In Knocknacarra, if you go up to the top of Ard Fraoigh (off Clybaun Rd) there is a pathway that goes up a hill which brings you to a clearing. From here you will be able to see all over Knocknacarra & Galway Bay. Again it's cool at night (bring a friend), but on a sunny day it's beautiful also.
    now your talking!!! ill have to go up for a look, would you say its better to go during the day or at nite looking out over the lights?

now your talking!!! ill have to go up for a look, would you say its better to go during the day or at nite looking out over the lights?

Cities at night have always fascinated me, so that's when I would go and what I'd recommend. If it's quiet from your observation point all the better and that's the great thing about those 2 places, it generally is and you can see everything.

If checking out the place in Knocknacarra at night, bring one or more people with you as it's off road and there are no street lights along the path or at the clearing the top.

Enjoy ;)

Cities at night have always fascinated me, so that's when I would go and what I'd recommend. If it's quiet from your observation point all the better and that's the great thing about those 2 places, it generally is and you can see everything.

If checking out the place in Knocknacarra at night, bring one or more people with you as it's off road and there are no street lights along the path or at the clearing the top.

Enjoy ;)

Just being out there , WOW!!!! some view wish i had a camera with me. had to walk up on my own my girlfriend was too afraid to get out of the car :( and ya never told me about the dog he scared the crap out of me when he started barking :) thanks again its definitly a little gem !!!

Mike

• Advertisement

Just being out there , WOW!!!! some view wish i had a camera with me. had to walk up on my own my girlfriend was too afraid to get out of the car :( and ya never told me about the dog he scared the crap out of me when he started barking :) thanks again its definitly a little gem !!!
    Mike
    LOL, Yeppedy little fecker isn't he (the dog). I assume you are referring to the little white(ish) fella on the right at the start of the path. Don't worry, he's small and he can't get out, and even if he did, he's just highly strung, not dangerous. If memory serves the back wall of a garden is on your left further up the path. There was a lovely Golden Retriever that used to come out and visit me when I'd go up there. He was a gentle giant though and just wanted to play. I had a job one time to get him to stop following me on the way back down.

Bring your girlfriend back on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

You haven't been to Galway unless you have walked the salthill Promenade. It is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Walk the bridge from train station over lough atalia.

The beach by renmore

Woods in clarinbridge

Theres an underground place, old track. Read about it in another thread. I dint know about it.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Walk the bridge from train station over lough atalia.

The beach by renmore

Woods in clarinbridge

Theres an underground place, old track. Read about it in another thread. I dint know about it.

Thank you can you tell me where I start is it a little pathway beside homeless shelter ?do you have anymore information on the underground place?

Thank you can you tell me where I start is it a little pathway beside homeless shelter ?do you have anymore information on the underground place?

ya, the path. WAlk it in daytime just to be safe....

There was some talk in boards, this forum about the underground path thingy. use the search.

Also, sounds normal but walk from bottom of Taylors Hilll to the top and then down to Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Grab a sandwich and have lunch down by Steamer's Quay, buy a half loaf to feed the ducks if you're so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

There was some talk in boards, this forum about the underground path thingy. use the search.

that the old prospect hill rail tunnel?

Treadhead wrote: »
    that the old prospect hill rail tunnel?

Ya, that's it. I'd like to see some photos of it, would give me a proper picture of what it is like, size etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The old rail tunnel is AFAIK under Shannon dry cleaners on Prospect Hill, but I have not seen it. I don't know if they'd let you. If you walk down the path to Renmore from the bus station you can see a bridge it used to go under, behind the band building.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Spot the lesser spotted female on Ladies beach.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Spot the lesser spotted female on Ladies beach.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

This may sound odd to you but you should go to silverstrand! It's so much more beautiful during the winter then it is during the summer, we went there this time last year after a friend oddly brought it up, he didn't even know about the good views there!

When we went there was a slight bit of fog coming in over the bay that sheltered the hills and the sea, standing on top of the hills closest to the car park and looking across the beach was one of the most amazing sights i've ever seen! I've stood high on snow covered mountains in the Rockies and it wasn't near as impressive as the views I seen that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    The old rail tunnel is AFAIK under Shannon dry cleaners on Prospect Hill, but I have not seen it. I don't know if they'd let you. If you walk down the path to Renmore from the bus station you can see a bridge it used to go under, behind the band building.

If you've ever been down the platform as far as the turning wheel, the tunnel starts down there. AFAIK it's been closed for decades.

If you go over to the plots, the raised embankment is where the train used to run, across the river (the two supports are still there, above the weir) and through the college grounds somewhere. After than I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The 25" map from the osi.ie site shows only a short tunnel going under Prospect Hill, the rest is just a cutting or embankment as appropriate.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,530170,725683,7,9

I think the bridge over the Corrib was dismantled in 1936.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Thanks for that map!

ya, the path. WAlk it in daytime just to be safe....

Also, sounds normal but walk from bottom of Taylors Hilll to the top and then down to Salthill.

how far did you say that pathway brings ya ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    The 25" map from the osi.ie site shows only a short tunnel going under Prospect Hill, the rest is just a cutting or embankment as appropriate.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,530170,725683,7,9

I think the bridge over the Corrib was dismantled in 1936.

great site that osi site, use the Overlay slider which shows the modern mapping underneath, makes it easier to get a handle on locations

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Go to the NUIG sports ground on the Moycullen rd and walk along the Corrib for a nice view of Menlo castle and the tea folly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

wet-paint wrote: »
    Grab a sandwich and have lunch down by Steamer's Quay, buy a half loaf to feed the ducks if you're so inclined.

It's a bit boring for some, but our perfect family day is going to the playground on university rd by the cathedral, walking down upper canal st to feed the ducks, continue on along the canal past the locks to dominic st, then run your errands / go to the market and loop back to bridge street to walk the path along the corrib. Makes a nice loop and is a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Advertisement