Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesser spotted Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

+1 Cappagh park is nice for a stroll & it joins up with Barna woods.

Half way up/down Circular Rd at the entrance to Bailey (whatever) estate, there is a beautiful view of the city at night. I still like to go up there every now & then, but have fond memories of just watching all the lights as a child.

In Knocknacarra, if you go up to the top of Ard Fraoigh (off Clybaun Rd) there is a pathway that goes up a hill which brings you to a clearing. From here you will be able to see all over Knocknacarra & Galway Bay. Again it's cool at night (bring a friend), but on a sunny day it's beautiful also.

this is such a great thread so it is! you have answered a question that i have been wondering for months,. i remember when i first moved to galway(about 6yrs ago) a friend brought my sister and i for a spin around the place one night and after a little while we landed up at this viewing point that looked down over all of the city. was so cool.all twinkly lights at night time.and so quiet aswell.

fast forward to the present,that image came into my head few months ago and i was asking my sister where the hell was it that we had gone,she couldnt rem at all.not a clue. i knew it was someone out that direction. it was bugging me for so long and now i have found it. well i am sure this must be the same place anyways. so thank you so much.
    gonna check it out again some time,prob during the day though cause i am not too familiar driving over that side of the city. yeahhh!!!
    thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

I found this interesting :http://g.co/maps/xepmc

It's rahoon house it shows up on the first OS maps from 1845 (I think): http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,527241,725342,6,7

Couldn't find out much about it other than some developer tried to turn it into 4 apartments but couldn't get planning as it is a protected structure!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In the daytime, there's a great view over Galway Bay from a spot somewhere to the left behind Ballybane church.

It's an ... umm ... interesting neighbourhood, some lovely people live there, and some who might not be quite so lovely. So I wouldn't recommend wandering around by yourself.

JustMary wrote: »
    In the daytime, there's a great view over Galway Bay from a spot somewhere to the left behind Ballybane church.

It's an ... umm ... interesting neighbourhood, some lovely people live there, and some who might not be quite so lovely. So I wouldn't recommend wandering around by yourself.

Care to be more specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MilionMilesAway

If you can get your hands on a boat, then the Hidden Lakes up the Corrib are really cool.
    Menlo, particularly down by the peir.
    The view from Tonabrooky Reservoir and the reservoir on Circular Road.
    Lough Corrib and the Old River Corrib. very quiet.
    The rocky beach that goes from Blackrock to Gentian Hill, bring walking shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

12 element wrote: »
    Care to be more specific?

No. Except that I wasn't going to post the view without an accompanying warning. And yes, I have been up there to see it.

Did you notice the post about the view in Knocknacarra has a comment "take a friend if you're going after dark"? Same idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Castlepark. It's rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

From my experience Castlepark aint rough.
    A good mate of mine lives in Castlepark and according to him its pretty quiet living there.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Jaysus I can see this decending into a "that's my homeplace how dare you call it rough" crapfest.

Can we all just agree that if you are concerned about personal safety, don't go anywhere unknown on your own due to the lions and tigers and bears, oh my. If you disagree with that outlook, wander at your own risk. of murder, rape and disembowelment. or rabid badgers. or both.

Back on topic, out past Inverin you can take a right turn (an Bothar Bui) that leads you up to the base of the wind farm. It's eerie and beautiful on a wild bright day, the swoosh of the sci-fi-looking blades coupled with the barren beautiful natural landscape -mmm, delicious contrast.

JustMary wrote: »
    No. Except that I wasn't going to post the view without an accompanying warning. And yes, I have been up there to see it.

Did you notice the post about the view in Knocknacarra has a comment "take a friend if you're going after dark"? Same idea.

I meant more specific than "from a spot somewhere to the left behind Ballybane church"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

do a historical walking tour of Galway?

Advertisement