Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely Slow Drivers in Limerick

• 05-01-2012 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭

I do not know if there is some sort of strike recently this Christmas that certain individuals are driving extremely slow. I for people slowing down for safety so they can avoid poor drivers to prevent accident but this driver this morning was ridiculous slow. Slower than the Majority old age pensioners I see driving on the roads. There was no ice or Frost at temp according to my car is 9C and it was definitely warm. There was not any form of rain or any visual impairments, even the wind was low. The Road had no debris or any containments and was dry as the high winds was drying it off between showers and was in it usual perfect condition.

So starting Today, I am naming (If I can) and shaming car owners who drive extremely slow for no genuine reason other than sheer incompetence.
    <mod snip>

I probably believe he (in his 60's) was incompetence to drive or just blatant arrogant enough to piss off other drivers. I know that in other countries they punish these extremely slow drivers for no genuine reasons for holding up traffic causing traffic chaos. I for that law to be applied here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Pretty sure that there is a legal issue in Ireland with regards to putting up another person's full car reg, along with the model car etc and then adding a claim (incompetent or arrogant) with regards to why they were driving in the manner you deemed them to be.

At the very least I would edit out the reg to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Probably fine to post it...you should see the obnoxious parking thread over on motors...no hiding or blanking out the regs there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Kess73 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that there is a legal issue in Ireland with regards to putting up another person's full car reg, along with the model car etc and then adding a claim (incompetent or arrogant) with regards to why they were driving in the manner you deemed them to be.

At the very least I would edit out the reg to be on the safe side.
    If you can mention that Law or breach of Policy in this website then I will do it, otherwise It stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The standard of driving in Limerick has really deteriorated in recent times. The amount of people running red traffic lights is unreal, the lights at the A1 bar in paticular.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Maybe they're unhappy punters who have been forced away from cruising on Catherine St after the recent Garda sting operation there to catch kerb-crawlers.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Did alot of driving home over Christmas, on 3 occasions I was stuck behind drunk drivers around the Bruff/Holycross area. 40-50 kmph and all over the road. One guy braked every single time a car came near him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Anyone is free to take a picture in a public place, and to publish it, without the permission of the pictures subject. Once of course it is not for financial gain. This is because there is no presumption of privacy in a public place. I would presume the same applies to what the OP has done above, however I would urge caution.

A picture generally says all that needs to be said, whereas with printed words it is easy to find yourself exaggerating, and that is where the problem lies. If exaggerated even a little it could leave the poster open to being accused of defamation.

limklad wrote: »
    If you can mention that Law or breach of Policy in this website then I will do it, otherwise It stays.

I'm not a mod in this forum and am not telling you what to do in this forum, I was just offering some friendly advice seeing as you made a claim that you belived the driver was either incompetent or deliberately driving in a fashion that impacted on other road users and you put up his full reg and car details in the same post.

If you want to leave the full reg in the same post that you made that claim in, then that's up to you, but I can name an act under Irish law that gets broken if a claim gets made about another person and enough information is given with the claim for the person to be identified. It is called the Defamation Act and it was modifed to include formats like web forums.

source wrote: »
    Anyone is free to take a picture in a public place, and to publish it, without the permission of the pictures subject. Once of course it is not for financial gain. This is because there is no presumption of privacy in a public place. I would presume the same applies to what the OP has done above, however I would urge caution.

A picture generally says all that needs to be said, whereas with printed words it is easy to find yourself exaggerating, and that is where the problem lies. If exaggerated even a little it could leave the poster open to being accused of defamation.

Yes anyone is free to take a picture in a public place and publish it although there are a few caveats to that.

But when a person makes a claim with regards to a person's competetence or that the person was intentionally doing something illegal such as driving in a manner that impacted upon other road users, and puts that claim alongside details that would identify the person they are making the assrration about, then the Defamation Act can be brought into play.

All I was trying to do was offer a bit of friendly advice to the OP and I was certainly not telling him to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Not to hijack the original post, but regarding trafficlights and junctions, has anyone noticed the situation at Ivan's Cross when the lights are red for traffic coming in the Ennis Road towards the city centre?

When the lights turn to green for the city-bound traffic, the last few cars coming from the Northern Ring Road direction are still traversing the junction, turning out the Ennis Road before the traffic heading into town can start moving. Not sure if the lights are a bit out of sync, or the last few cars from the Clareview direction are breaking the lights but there is often a scary moment when the first city-bound car in the queue is almost broad-sided by the light-jumping traffic from the Clareview direction. This is a regular happening as I travel that junction daily.

John.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I will be leaving this thread closed. I have removed the reg from the original post. Whether mods in other forums are willing to leave regs be posted that's up to them. But i don't think the Limerick forum is the place for this. Its too easy to trace someone based on the reg of their car and that could lead to issues for both the OP and boards.ie

If people have issues with this PM me and i can pass it to admin around the legality of it. But i dont think its worth it for a bad driving thread.

Thanks

D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement