Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear away trees

Options
  • 05-01-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Three large pine trees (Pinus radiata) down in last night's winds. Each about 50 feet high. Anyone know of someone who might be interested in cutting them up and taking them away for firewood?

Odd thing: Home insurance will cover damage caused by falling trees but will not cover the cost of removing the trees.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Floyd Soul

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Word of advice, who ever you do a deal with gratis or otherwise do NOT let him take the firewood before he takes away all the useless greenery, otherwise you will be left with skip fulls of greenery and he will be gone with the firewood, this is from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Try and get a few bob for it as well. Too good to be giving it away for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Many thanks for the comments and advice. I have two people calling to have a look at the situation and one PM with a similar interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Black Dog wrote: »
    Odd thing: Home insurance will cover damage caused by falling trees but will not cover the cost of removing the trees.

Are the trees on your property or communal ground?
    I would increase the insurance claim to pay for the removal & I know
    that's going to bring on a load of 'you can't do that'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

The trees grew on the boundary between our garden and our neighbours and fell into our neighbour's garden. Fortunately, they didn't fall on house or car or anything else so it seems I will not be able to claim for any damage done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 g021283

I have 5 very large pine trees behind my house. The land owner said I can cut them but one local objected because of crows living on them (where would the crows live! Etc). Is there anything I can do? The trees are very close to the house. I cant go out in the garden or ill get s*/t on. The house is also cover with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

g021283 wrote: »
    I have 5 very large pine trees behind my house. The land owner said I can cut them but one local objected because of crows living on them (where would the crows live! Etc). Is there anything I can do? The trees are very close to the house. I cant go out in the garden or ill get s*/t on. The house is also cover with this.

Yeah you can go out there and cut them down! Screw your neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 g021283

Im afraid its not the easy. The trees are very old and tall. Its most likely one would fall on the house if I did it myself! I'll need to get someone with proper machinery. Does anyone know what the cost of getting one of these taken down?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

You also would probably need a felling licence, and if they are very old planning permission, you would be better off getting the advice of a tree surgeon who would advise you if they are safe, as this is probably the only legal way You can feel them as they are not your property.don't listen to the preceding advice unless you want a tonne of **** onyour head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

wellboytoo wrote: »
    You also would probably need a felling licence, and if they are very old planning permission, you would be better off getting the advice of a tree surgeon who would advise you if they are safe, as this is probably the only legal way You can feel them as they are not your property.don't listen to the preceding advice unless you want a tonne of **** onyour head

You need planning permission if the trees are protected (which if they are pine i doubt they are), give planning a ring and ask them.

As for the birds nesting you are not allowed fell trees at certain times of the year (not sure of exactly when it starts, its early spring and lasts most of the summer).

You will need a competent, insured contractor to do the work in case of misphap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Crows are classed as vermin. If you know anyone with a gun license, they can shoot away! (unless it's in an urban area of course)

Advertisement