Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Garden Shed

• 05-01-2012 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi All

Looking for some advice, I need to move a garden shed from My Uncles House to my Own, Its in great condition (Hence the reason for not wasting it)

Can anyone advise the best way to dismantle and reassemble? Is there a step by step guide to it? It is one of the smaller types of wooden Garden sheds

Apologies if my question and description are so vague,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Depends, is it a wooden shed held together with nails?
    Would you be able to just lift it onto a truck and carry it as is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭mcnewberson

Hi Biko

Thanks for you response, Its a wooden shed held together by nails I think, I presume it would have been from a nail gun. Does that mean that it will be harder to take down?

I guess what I am asking is where to start? ad further more how to reassemble. Is this even feasible?

Unfortunately moving directly is not possible as I cannot get at it. Its a terraced house and only has enough room to take the shed out in pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There are surely YouTubes on this but here's a description of how to do it anyway.
    It's much easier than you might think. A shed is just a box with a roof and floor. Two people make the job easier and don't do it on a windy day!
    You'll need a minimum of step ladder, hammer, chisel, a jemmy or pry bar, stout gloves and any other safety gear necessary, tea and biscuits for disassembly.
    You'll need felt nails, nails or screws to replace any which are not re-usable and a spirit level for reassembly. And more tea and biscuits.

1. Empty the shed, obviously.
    Remove the roof felt. Almost impossible to do without damage so you will probably need to buy a new roll before re-assembling. You'll need to remove all nails before you put on new felt.

2. Remove roof panels (2). These are normally nailed through the wall plate upwards but sometimes they are nailed through the roof downwards. Sometimes they are nailed through the little fascia board onto the wall plate. You will need to prise the roof panels upwards or remove the nails if they are nailed through the fascia into the wall plate.
    They are always nailed together at the apex or ridge.

3. Now you have a four sided box with a floor - what order you take the sides apart doesn't really matter but I usually take the panel with the door off first.
    Number each panel and the floor where they meet, in case the floor is off square.
    The panels are generally nailed onto the floor. Remove these nails first from all of the panels.
    Each panel is simply nailed to the next panel through the end uprights.
    There might be small strips of timber (fillets) over the gaps where the frames butt up to each other.
    Getting a purchase on the nails can be the trickiest part although some sheds are screwed together. If the nails are sunk into the timber you might need to use an old chisel to clear a bit of space around the nail heads to get a grip on them.

4. Disassemble the four panels taking care to knock back any protruding nails.

5. The floor is usually just sitting on blocks and is probably shimmed to make it level.

Assembly is just the reverse - you will get the hang of the construction method in the process of taking it apart.
    It ain't brain surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Home base selling mineral shed felt for less than 30 euro for a roll..(small roll - enough to do a shed)... Just cut the old felt along the ridge and dont lose a load of time trying to pull nails out of the existing stuff. Then stick the new stuff over the old, when you have the shed completely assembled

Important thing, in my experience, is to make sure the base (floor) is level, and adequately supported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

alproctor wrote: »
    Home base selling mineral shed felt for less than 30 euro for a roll..(small roll - enough to do a shed)... Just cut the old felt along the ridge and dont lose a load of time trying to pull nails out of the existing stuff. Then stick the new stuff over the old, when you have the shed completely assembled

Important thing, in my experience, is to make sure the base (floor) is level, and adequately supported.

Proctor, what glue do ya use or is it sticky back?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

ronan45 wrote: »
    It's normally nailed onto shed roofs - not glued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

ronan45 wrote: »

Just an expression man - "stick it on" - It's nailed on - ask for felt nails in any hardware - short as you like - 15mm or so is plenty....

Advertisement