Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to use up alot of parsley

Options
  • 05-01-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a load of parsley growing in my garden. I always forget its there when I am cooking so I want to honour its existence by making something heavily parsley based.

I have already decided to make Parsely Pesto ala Darina Allen but would love some more suggestions.

Thank u.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Gremolata?

Great on fish and white meat and as a seasoning mix to finish stews and braises.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/seasoningflavoring/r/gremolata.htm

By the way if you make the parsley pesto and omit the cheese you can freeze it in ice cube portions. The add cheese at that point jobs a good un'.;).

I've used boxes(literally) of excess herbs in the past in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sell it to your local green grocer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Ddad wrote: »
    Gremolata?

By the way if you make the parsley pesto and omit the cheese you can freeze it in ice cube portions. The add cheese at that point jobs a good un'.;).

I've used boxes(literally) of excess herbs in the past in this way.

That recipe is perfect, thanks. I always have those ingredients at hand.

Great tip on the pesto too, thank you.

Sell it to your local green grocer

Good idea but Id get more satisfaction from eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Stuffing made with parsley can be frozen.

Chimichurri sauce is lovely.

You could make a herb oil using parsley?

• Advertisement

trackguy wrote: »
    Stuffing made with parsley can be frozen.

Chimichurri sauce is lovely.

You could make a herb oil using parsley?

Just got a nice recipe for Chimichurri sauce (had never heard of it previously) - will be nice with meat. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

You can also make some flavored butter: mix room temperature butter with a lot of parsley, some garlic, a bit of salt and pepper. Then shape however you want it, wrap in cling film and freeze.

You can use it in a million ways: stick bits of it under a chicken's skin before roasting, on top of the mash in a shepherd's pie, for escargots if you feel adventurous, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

MaudL wrote: »
    You can also make some flavored butter: mix room temperature butter with a lot of parsley, some garlic, a bit of salt and pepper. Then shape however you want it, wrap in cling film and freeze.

+1

I make the garlic & parmesan butter from this garlic bread a *lot* & keep it in a jar in the fridge. so very good melted over potatoes, with chicken, spread on bread, eaten (shamefully) off a spoon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I freeze parsley in ice cube trays with a tiny amount of water and use as needed in sauces etc.

Great ideas here, thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I like to replace the pine nuts with hazelnuts in a parsley pesto - the earthiness of the hazelnuts work really well with the parsley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

You can freeze herbs easily enough. You just need to lay sprigs of it on a baking tray and put them in the freezer. Give them a few hours and then take them out and you can put them in freezer bags and put them back in the freezer. You can just grab them whenever and throw in your cooking. If you just put them straight in to freezer bags you'll end up with just one solid lump of herb so don't do that! Also, as has been suggested you can make ice cubes with them.

I do it regularly with flat leaf parsley (which grows like a weed in our garden) and mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Tabbouleh needs lots of parsley. Gives you an excuse to do a nice Mediterranean meal which is simple cooking especially when there are so many great Irish "Greek style" yoghurts available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Tabbouleh needs lots of parsley. Gives you an excuse to do a nice Mediterranean meal which is simple cooking especially when there are so many great Irish "Greek style" yoghurts available.

+1

I love this stuff. Serve it with lamb, hummus and butterbeans and tomatoes.

I like my tabbouleh with very little (or no) bulgar wheat and lots of lemon juice.
    It should be a green herb salad with at most flecks of white bulgar not a bulgar wheat salad with some herbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

+1

I love this stuff. Serve it with lamb, hummus and butterbeans and tomatoes.

I like my tabbouleh with very little (or no) bulgar wheat and lots of lemon juice.
    It should be a green herb salad with at most flecks of white bulgar not a bulgar wheat salad with some herbs.

I'm Lebanese and I approve this comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Jaafa - do you have a traditional recipe that you could share?

I made the parsley pesto this evening to start with - parsley, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil and cheddar (I didnt have parmesan as per the recipe - made without any cheese to begin with but it lacked a certain je ne sais quoi i.e taste so I tried some cheddar and improved it). Tried it with some mashed potato and it was quite nice...but not amazing.

[IMG][/img]20u3440.jpg

Any suggestions on how to liven up my tame pesto?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Jaafa - do you have a traditional recipe that you could share?

Kousa Mahshi is quite nice I find. It's basically stuffed zucchinis into which you put rice, mince meat (beef or lamb usually), chopped tomatos etc (you can add what you like).

Here are the instructions take from another site because I can't cook, or give instructions. :P

Ingredients:
    7 oz Ground beef or turkey meat
    8 Medium zucchinis
    1 cup short grain brown rice
    1 32 oz can chopped canned tomato, drained
    1 tsp salt
    ½ tsp black pepper
    1 tbsp olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups water
    4 tbsp lemon juice

Directions: 1. Preparing the Zucchini:

Cut stems off with a paring knife. Remove the inside creating a hollow
    center (leave approximately ¼ thick shell intact). Wash zucchini
    thoroughly and retain the filling for other uses.

2. Preparing the filling:

Cook brown rice according to directions on the package.

3. In a lightly greased frying pan, fry 2 minced cloves of garlic for 30
    seconds or until fragrant. Add the meat and brown with constant stirring
    (approximately 5 minutes on medium heat). Remove from heat and let
    cool for 10 minutes.

4. Preparing the sauce:

In a medium bowl, mix the olive oil, the tomatoes, the black pepper, the
    salt, the lemon juice, and the remaining garlic

5. Finishing up:

Preheat oven to 375F. Mix the meat and the brown rice thoroughly.

Stuff each zucchini with the mixture. Arrange stuffed vegetables on the
    pen and spoon sauce over them.

6. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

Image of what it looks like along with alternative (but similar) recipe at the bottom. http://cavewomancafe.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/kousa-mahshi/

EDIT: Just to make this more relevant please do stick it some parsley it'll go fine with it too. ;)

Jaafa wrote: »

EDIT: Just to make this more relevant please do stick it some parsley it'll go fine with it too. ;)

lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement