Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a House

Options
  • 05-01-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been done before but we are a young couple and we have decided to build our house this year but at the minute we are clueless as to where to start i.e who should we be talking to first architects/engineers/local authority engineers??? The financial side of it is fine as I work in the finance indusrty so I know where to start there!
    Its the actual building of the house that we are unsure of,does anyone have any good websites where we could look at different types of plans/costings etc so we can see what we like and what we can afford?

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Do you have a plot of land set out and planning permission?

There is some useful info on this site I think:

http://www.iaosb.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ascuteasabutton

Noxin wrote: »
    Do you have a plot of land set out and planning permission?

There is some useful info on this site I think:

http://www.iaosb.com/

We have the site but we are wondering do we need plans before we seek planning permission or do we look for planning permission first and then set about getting proper house plans?
    We are clueless as this is our first time undertaking something like this!

Thanks for the linky will take a look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

probably better to ask for this to be moved to the construction forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

We have the site but we are wondering do we need plans before we seek planning permission or do we look for planning permission first and then set about getting proper house plans?
    We are clueless as this is our first time undertaking something like this!

Thanks for the linky will take a look :)

One thing I noticed when browsing the site:

b) Talk to your local planning department before you decide on any method or design for your build. It is very important that you ask the opinion of the local planning engineer as they can guide you towards what is allowed and what would not be even considered. By doing this you might save yourself a lot of time and paperwork for getting your permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Thepropertypin.ie would have all this info.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

Speak to an architect in your local area/county. They will know what designs will be acceptable to the council and will also attend the pre-planning meeting with you.

They will do nearly all the work for you. You give them a brief of what type of house you want and they will sketch some plans and you decide if you like it or not.

You will need 5-6 years of proof that you are living in the area including school records etc.

You will need a soil test done which your architect should be able to advise on.

So...golden pages or the web for your local architect. Oh and ask to see some examples of houses he's done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ascuteasabutton

Thanks very much everyone for all the info much appreciated :)

I like the idea of the Architect doing all the work :D We have an idea of the type of house we want we just need someone to do the plans properly!!

Cheers again :) If anyone has anything else to add that would also be appreciated.

Advertisement