Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cats - change in behaviour - not worried buttttt

• 05-01-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

morning all , just a quick one for ye.

have 3 cats - we used to let them out daily for an hour or two over the summer but put a stop to it as we couldnt handle the worrying something might happen. since then they have been kept in .
    of the 3 2 are social and 1 (me boy) is quite and distant - doesnt play doesnt meow , just sits looking out the window or fighting with the neighbours cat through the window (when he isnt headbutting me :) ) however recently and more specifically since the wind started picking up they all seem more excitable - he has started to play and has become very vocal demanding attention (which i will be honest - i love) . however we have also noticed that suddenly 1 cat(not sure which as it seems to happen only at night)is not using the litter occasionally . we are going to worm them to be sure (its due) and i believe it is the weather scaring them .

should i be worried about the abrupt change in behavior ? he seems healthy and happy but hes me boy and i worry .

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

How many trays do you have? You need 1 tray per cat plus 1 extra, so 4 trays preferably in different spots, if one of the cats is guarding the tray and preventing another cat from using it.

Is it poos or pees your finding? Don't rule out a medical problem such as a uti or what's more serious in males a blockage. Watch them during the day to make sure there all peeing and pooing normal. Then move onto working on the behavioural aspect of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We have three cats too and they have gone absolutely nutso in the last week with the wind.
    Ours are also indoors cats and we've resorted to keeping them awake in the evening, playing with them and then feeding them loads before bedtime in order to get them to sleep.
    On Monday night we only got two hours sleep because they kept howling or tearing lumps out of each other the entire night.
    The mild weather doesn't seem to help either.
    Glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

Edit: and it's the male who is the worst behaved at the moment, not our two females!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

is not using the litter occasionally

That is something you should take seriously, along with the change in behaviour

I've two who are brother and sister, and a third who was an injured stray tom cat that I took in
    Taking him in led to our first male cat's behaviour changing as he was very stressed out, he stopped using the litter tray to urinate

Turned out to be Cystitis, caused by stress which made it too painful for him to use the tray to uruinate
    If I hadn't caught it at the start it would have led to very serious problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Our other two cats got cystitis earlier last year after we took the female stray in.
    Providing plenty of fresh water in several bowls around the house ensures they constantly drink and this definitely helps prevent it.

Advertisement