Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive Admin Charge on Refund?

Options
  • 05-01-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Have done a search but can't seem to find an exact answer.

Anyway, I recently ordered a set of contact lenses from a supplier in the UK (have done so numerous times in the past with no problem from same supplier).

Anyway, within two days of my most recent order, the supplier got back to me informing me that my prescription provided was out of date. Owing to the timing I asked if my order could be cancelled and I would reorder in the New Year after obtaining a new prescription from a local optician. This wasn't a problem and the supplier agreed to such.

The problem is such: My account had been debited with the full value by the time I had cancelled. The company have stated that they will refund my account subject to a 10% handling charge. Am I correct in believing that I should be refunded the full value of the contact lenses (of which were never actually sent in the first place)? And in any event, is the 10% handling charge over excessive?

I do appreciate any help you could offer!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i would think 10% is excessive, if it was bought through Credit Card you could probably query the transaction and have the full amount returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

That's a common problem, I've experienced it before with Aer Lingus and Ryanair. It's usually cheaper to book a new ticket, or if you cannot go on the day, asking for a refund of €40 might have cost €100 in admin charges. Crazy stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

hada wrote: »
    Hi All,

Have done a search but can't seem to find an exact answer.

Anyway, I recently ordered a set of contact lenses from a supplier in the UK (have done so numerous times in the past with no problem from same supplier).

Anyway, within two days of my most recent order, the supplier got back to me informing me that my prescription provided was out of date. Owing to the timing I asked if my order could be cancelled and I would reorder in the New Year after obtaining a new prescription from a local optician. This wasn't a problem and the supplier agreed to such.

The problem is such: My account had been debited with the full value by the time I had cancelled. The company have stated that they will refund my account subject to a 10% handling charge. Am I correct in believing that I should be refunded the full value of the contact lenses (of which were never actually sent in the first place)? And in any event, is the 10% handling charge over excessive?

I do appreciate any help you could offer!

Thanks.

What are the terms and conditions you signed up to?

If they say there is a 10% handling fee on refunds, then you agreed to them charging it.

However, under the circumstances, point out you dont need a refund and ask them to send out the order when they get the updated prescription. You may get around it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The supplier seemed to start with the position that the prescription was out of date and should not be filled. If that is a fair interpretation of the conversation, then it looks as if OP's order was declined. The debit should have been treated as an error, and refunded in full.

If the supplier's position was different, along the lines of "we would just like to draw your attention to the fact that your prescription is out of date, but if you want the lenses, we will go ahead", then it is a different matter.

Whether or not 10% is excessive depends on the value of the transaction. 10% of £100 is not that much; 10% of £500 would look excessive to me. But, as superscouse said, it depends on the T&C you accepted when you ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Would go back to supplier , remind them they are not the only contact lens supplier out there, and how much you have spent in the past.

No change , then shop around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Thank you very much for all your extremely helpful responses.

The T&C refer to 10% for any returns made that are not faulty/damaged on receipt by the buyer (i.e. me). As I didn't receive the lenses, there is no question of the return of faulty good, etc to the supplier.

I've contacted the lens supplier (who declined to sell me the lenses), and will hopefully get a resolution!

Once again, thanks everyone, I very much appreciate the effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Are you sure they actually declined to sell you the lenses? I just don't see why they would do that rather than point out your mistake and let you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The T&C refer to 10% for any returns made that are not faulty/damaged on receipt by the buyer (i.e. me). As I didn't receive the lenses, there is no question of the return of faulty good, etc to the supplier.

That sounds more like it, a 10% re-stocking fee.

But you didnt even get you item so, I think its their mistake, e-mail them and point out no order was sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Zab wrote: »
    Are you sure they actually declined to sell you the lenses? I just don't see why they would do that rather than point out your mistake and let you decide.

UK law does not permit the sale of contact lenses without a valid prescription. The reason this sale was declined as opposed to my past order, is because my lens prescription was over two years old (a recheck is a requirement every 2 years for a valid prescription).

The debiting of my credit card was done immediately (or at least the process whereby it is debited) upon my ordering. The checking of the prescription is done the day or two after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

hada wrote: »
    UK law does not permit the sale of contact lenses without a valid prescription. The reason this sale was declined as opposed to my past order, is because my lens prescription was over two years old (a recheck is a requirement every 2 years for a valid prescription).

I had no idea that that was the case. However, given that it is I would in no way pay a 10% fee for something they either shouldn't have sold you or are refusing to sell you and can surely never have actually put into a production process. Tell them this and if they won't budge after a few exchanges then dispute the charge with your bank imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement