Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU problem or something else?

Options
  • 05-01-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I’m hoping someone can help, in case I fry something else. Last night my PC was on and I left the room for a while. When I returned, the PC was off.
    I tried to turn it back on however nothing happened at all when I hit the power button. When I removed all power for a bit and tried to turn it on, it seemed to try to start for a split second but then went off and again nothing happened when I hit the power button again.

On opening the case, the light on the motherboard is on, so there is power getting there, however nothing happens when I hit the power button. When I reset the CMOS, remove all power for a bit, it does the above thing again where it seems to try to start for a split second.

I then starting removing things like memory, sound card, etc., to see if that solved anything. At that stage I turned the PC on, but the Graphics Card started to smoke and the smell was pretty bad! I tried it again to be sure and again, smoke, etc. The damage to the card is visible, so I'm not sure that will be working again.

So I appear to have fried the Graphics Card. My question to you guys is, do you think it was the graphics acard which caused the problem, or could the power supply be the problem? I am on the lookout for a cheap Nvidia 9800GT or something to try to see if I can get the machine working again, but don’t want to fry another card. Let me know what you think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Full computer specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

It's getting on a bit. Off the top of my head, Core 2 Duo 6600, 9800 GT (RIP), can't remember the MB Asus P5 something or other I think, Soundblaster X-Fi Sound Card, 4 GB RAM, Windows Vista. Onlt replaced the GPU in Augustm, however it was a 2nd hand one and not sure how much use it had gotten before. PSU is probably getting on a bit too but was a good quality one. 580Watts I think.
    Sorry I'm a bit vague. I can pull the full specs if required.

Sorry, maybe I should have been a bit more specific. I'm really only interested in motherboard, PSU, and case. If you can get exact models for those, it would be great.

If you're not sure if your PSU, pop the door of your case, and just get a shot of the specs sticker on the side of the power supply.

Sorry.
    PSU
    Tagan Easycon 600W, Modular Cables,135mmFan, 4xSATA, ATX/EPS, SLI, 20/24pin

MB
    Asus P5Q PRO, P45, Socket-775, DDR2,ATX, GbLAN, Firewire, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)16

Case
    Antec Performance One P180 Miditower,Black, Aluminum

PSU is from 2007, MB from 2009

They all look to be ok. I'd be weary of a Tagan PSU, but the couple of reviews I've found of it seem to indicate it's ok.

Since nothing will turn on, it's a bit difficult to diagnose, but I'd say your PSU is the more likely culprit. That's not to say that it didn't fry the motherboard - you might have to get that replaced as well before anything will work - and it could have taken the GPU too... If you have another computer, try the GPU in it, if it works, try the motherboard and CPU, if they work, replace the PSU. (Don't try it)

• Advertisement

Sorry for asking a silly question, would just bunging a cheapo GPU in there to check be an option? I don't really have any other equipment to test MB, etc., with. I've picked up a GTX 460 for 85 quid so was gonna try it. I oviously don't want to fry that also though. I assumed if the PSU fails, the whole thing just won't start.

You could, but I'd only do that if you didn't have another option.

The PSU might not have failed on you - if it's starting for a split second after you take all power-stuff out, that sounds motherboard to me - it might only have been a power surge or something that fried the GPU, in which case it might do it to the next one you plug in there.

There's no easy way around it I'm afraid, if you haven't got other stuff, may as well try the GPU. If it fails, then you can at least bite Tagan's head off, and maybe get them to cover the blown components.

Thanks for the help mate. I assume that the MB should power on even if I don't have the GPU in place. At least that might tell me that they were kinda okay, even though obviously I could not verify this. But I assume if these stay running, it may be okay to then attach the gpu and see if it stays on or goes off. If that then makes it shut down, I know that there is a problem with MB or PSU and can just start a new build or something.

If you try and power on the motherboard with a GPU, you'll probably get a beep or something, but yeah, it should power on and stay running.

I picked up a GTX460 last night for €85. Ran the PC without any cards plugged in and it powered on okay. Put the soundcard back in,l still powered on. Then put the new GPU in and it stayed on. Could not get a pic until I realised that I needed to plug a second power source into the GPU. So it ran fine. Did a quick Lost Coast benchmark and there were no problems. Will give it a proper run tonight with Skyrim! Thanks for your help mate, hopefully it was just the old GPU that caused the issue.
    I did pull quite a bit of dust out of it after it failed, although the smoke appeared to be coming from a smaller chip, that is, not the main GPU chip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement