Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Galway Forum.

Options
  • 05-01-2012 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I was banned for raising an opinion in the occupy galway thread I said they should be pepper sprayed which i fair considering they are committing a crime can i please get this resolved as i have done nothing wrong or will someone please explain how i deserve this ban? because its still not clear to me
    biko wrote:
    padraig91
    I suggested you start a thread in the DRP forum so we don't have to PM back and forth.
    Since you and I both have made our views clear I'd say it's up to the cmods now.

DRP forum here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1397
    padraig91 wrote:
    Yes i was banned back in novemeber and i accepted i was wrong in that instance but this ban has no grounds, would you ban me if i wrote on a thread that i think a rapist should be pepper sprayed or a robber? although they are different levels of crime compared to the protesters setting up illegal camp its still breaking the law and in my opinion they should be dealt with. and by 3rd ban in a short time u mean 1 ban now and 1 ban in November and then 1 in January last year? just because you dont have the same opinion as me biko is not grounds to ban me, for any length of time. and to be fair if i get a ban for several months im just going to create a new user which will just add inactive accounts on the server. which just causes hassle for all involved
    biko wrote:
    Padraig neglects to mention that he was threadbanned in November but came back and started posting again in the thread.
    I didn't notice until he started acting up again.

Last time he was banned for wishing death on the protesters and now he wants them pepper sprayed.
    He got a day or two for the pepper spray comment but three weeks for posting in thread after being threadbanned.

I can shorten the ban to 7 days but if padraig91 posts in thread again I will ban him from Galway forum for several months.
    This is his 3rd ban from the forum in a very short time.

//biko

Black Swan wrote:
    Hi padraig91,
    Thank you for your PM. Please be advised that I will share this issue with biko and my co-Cmod Mr Magnolia to ask for their input, as well as to take the next few days to investigate this ban (we are volunteers), and then get back to you.

Sincerely,
    Black Swan
    padraig91 wrote:
    Hi Black Swan

i was banned from the occupy galway thread by bicko and i have discussed it with him and it was to no avail
    and i think the ban is unfair
    the reason for banning was because i said i feel the protesters should get pepper sprayed by the police and i only said this after another poster said that if the police tried to move them the police would have a bigger problem (insinuating that they would resist being moved by the police) and considering the protesters are breaking the law and it was suggested that they would resist the police if the police decided to move them i think pepper spray is reasonable.
    just wondering if you could lift the ban because it seems unfair
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

SUMMARY:

Poster padraig91 received 2 bans on same Occupy Galway Group thread. Both concerned advocating violence against a group of persons, which is generally prohibited by the spirit and intent of the Boards.ie Terms of Use guidelines.

Poster padraig91 is not contesting the first ban in this DRP, but rather the 2nd ban that concerned his advocating the use of pepper spray by gardai against those persons involved in Occupy Galway.

The below documentation of both successive bans on the same thread have been shown, as the 1st was related to the 2nd in terms of content and the increase of ban length for the repetition of a similar offense (1st ban 4 days; 2nd ban 21 days).

Advocating ("love to see them all getting peppered sprayed") with this non-lethal weapon by garda officers, and not specifying if the Occupiers were peaceful or not, appeared to be a celebration of violence, especially after the 1st ban that occurred on the same thread that was clearly violent ("to b e quite honest i hope one of them dies...").

Added to this, when defending his actions in the above DRP claim, it appeared that padraig91 threatened to re-reg ("... and to be fair if i get a ban for several months im just going to create a new user.."), which was something NOT to say on boards.ie!

Consequently, I agree with mod biko that some action was required for similar posting behaviour by padraig91, especially after having received a substantial warning with the 1st ban issued earlier on the same thread.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
    • The 2nd ban was justified (as was the 1st).
    • If biko wishes to extend the olive branch and give padraig91 the benefit of the doubt by reducing the ban from 21 to 7 days with conditions (quoted in the DRP above), I would support him in that decision.
    • It is strongly recommended that padraig91 review his posting behaviour in accordance with the charters and Boards.ie Terms of Use, as he has received 4 bans since 30 January 2011 (about a year's time) from 3 different mods, with 3 of these bans in Galway City.
    • And lastly, if padraig91 is suggesting that he may avoid a ban in the future by re-regging, he should please be advised that such action may result in a Galway City ban, Regional ban, and boards.ie site ban.

DOCUMENTATION FOR THE RECORD:

On 26 November 2011 a 4 day ban issued by biko for “wishing death on the protestors.” See post #822 :
    padraig91 wrote: »
    to b e quite honest i hope one of them dies in the frost that is going to come over the next few weeks, then perhaps the rest of them would **** off...
    Mod note user banned
    On 4 January 2012 a second 21 day ban was issued by biko for “posted after threadban, comments wishing violence upon the protestors.” See post #1043:
    ...and i hop the guards kick them out would love to see them all getting peppered sprayed
    biko wrote: »
    padraig91 was already banned from thread. Now very long ban.
    Poster padraig91 acknowledged his 2nd ban on the same thread with the following post (before the ban could be issued):
    sorry about that but please look at post #1047
    There were several bans issued to posters on this somewhat contentious thread of well over 1000 posts, not just the 2 issued to padraig91, so no evidence of personal bias towards padraig91 appeared to exist in moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

When i said i hoped they got pepper sprayed it was as a reply to this comment

"They have a right to set up a protest. The inequity of the current financial climate calls for protest from ordinary decent citizens. The Occupy movement is getting some empathetic support from the public at large. If the authorities were to become heavy handed in their approach, they'd have a bigger problem to deal with believe you me."
    which i took to mean the protesters would resist any police force, therefore pepper spray would be a reasonable tool to use.
    How can i get banned for saying that? (yes im aware of the other bans but in this case i did nothing wrong its merely a matter of opinion)
    Also i didnt mean to say that re registering as a threat. i just said it would be easier for me rather then go through this dispute and i have already shown that i have no problem taking a ban assuming i deserve it

I would also like to point out biko is obviously bias as the majority of his bans go to anti occupy posters and in one post i think he even said he would go to the camp and join them. so perhaps biko should not be moderating that particular thread

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've been asked to add my opinion to this. I agree entirely with Black Swan and see no reason whatsoever as to why this ban should be rescinded. You were banned for being a disruptive force on that thread and when you're ban expired you returned and continued to be a disruptive force: "..and i hop the guards kick them out would love to see them all getting peppered sprayed".

The ban stands, it's up to Biko whether he decides to reduce the duration or not.

aright thanks for your time anyway i will just close my account its far easier that way. however i would hardly call it a disruptive force for what i have said on that thread.
    i would also like to point out that biko should hardly be allowed to moderate that particular thread as he has said in it that he even joined the protesters and throughout the whole thread i think he has only banned one person who supported the protesters and loads of anti occupy people (unless of course he has banned them and not put it on the thread)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ban upheld as per Cmod decision. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement