Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oohhh BROTHER!

Options
  • 05-01-2012 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭

Mods I dont even know if this deserves to be in the Press clippings,please move if you feel it is .Our ol pal John Tierney...This time its personal.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Why give the guy free promotion by posting his article here?

"Anti-gun, hunt Saboteur says something provocative. Alert the media" :rolleyes:

Answer me one fing yea?

51QMV1Y38BL._SS500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well seeing that you are currenttly in the Czech republic...Why would you be botherd???:rolleyes::rolleyes: Maybe some of us are that are still at home.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So, all he can get to is indymedia.ie?
    Yeah, I'm not bovvered.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Well seeing that you are currenttly in the Czech republic...Why would you be botherd???:rolleyes::rolleyes: Maybe some of us are that are still at home.

I am a member of the NARGC and I pay my dues every year despite the unfortunate economic situation that forced me to move here for a job.

I was fortunate enough to get out on the first day of the season as I was at home.

I care about issues to do with hunting.

I don't care what John Tierney writes or gets printed for as he is not even a lobbyist. He is an anti hunting, in its many forms, activist and saboteur.

So again I ask, why give him or his article any promotion by putting it here. I am sorry if you have a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It *is* Tierney though. There's a special kind of irony in his hand-wringing about the potential for violence given what the hunt sabs have gotten up to. I don't think we need to give him much of a platform. Certainly I don't think the wider public does. Just more unfounded crap really. No logical consistency or coherence either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

LOL very in depth article!!!!!! But couldn't you say that about armies as well? Wouldn't wipe my arse with it either,just a sad little man with a Wikipedia account

syklops wrote: »
    I am a member of the NARGC and I pay my dues every year despite the unfortunate economic situation that forced me to move here for a job.

I was fortunate enough to get out on the first day of the season as I was at home.

I care about issues to do with hunting.

I don't care what John Tierney writes or gets printed for as he is not even a lobbyist. He is an anti hunting, in its many forms, activist and saboteur.

So again I ask, why give him or his article any promotion by putting it here. I am sorry if you have a problem with that.

Good to hear and sorry for you having to move to find work from this "great little country".
    I just put it up as I found it offensive and I thought people here would be intrested in seeing it and maybe replying once it hits the national media "letters pages" when it does happen,as that will be the next place it wil appear. If it doesnt bother you well and good,but unfortunatly your 1st reply came over rather high horsed [to me anyway].
    What publicity is he going to get here??Its not if the antis read every word we write here.

BTW I should add this was sent to me from a contact who doesnt post here for reasons we wont go into,and its from the Metro Herald newspaper.One step up from toilet paper I know..But its still out there,and knowing the way media works on "Rip and read".It will be in the usual suspects by Sat I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Its not if the antis read every word we write here
    Believe me Grizz they are organised and do read everything on hunting forums.
    Tierney is worth worrying about, the whole country knows what type headcase he is, but he still manages to get publicity and most people believe everything they read.

In a radio conversation with John Tierney of "The Hunt Saboteurs", he was asked him if he was opposed to keeping pets, and he replied, "A companion animal is alright." Animal Rights activists insist on companion animal as the term for what we call a pet. The reason they give, is that the animal's rights are infringed or can be infringed when we call it a pet. As a pet we can decide to end its suffering by putting it down, but as a companion animal it enjoys the same rights as a person and euthanasia is illegal.

This is the kind of rubbish these people go on with.

marlin vs wrote: »
    Tierney is worth worrying about, the whole country knows what type headcase he is, but he still manages to get publicity and most people believe everything they read.

Yup, but that's not a ban on shooting topics, it's because Tierney writes in and we don't.
    And we've already proven that.

So the question is how best to respond to Tierney - do we point 400,000-odd people in fieldsports to the task of rebutting 20-odd loons; or do we ignore them, not dignify them with a response until they become a real pest (and then sue them for defamation, not just write pissy letters to the editor), and in the meantime turn 400,000-odd people in fieldsports to the task of promoting fieldsports?

Personally, I think the latter is more productive, but that's just me...

Sparks wrote: »
    So the question is how best to respond to Tierney - do we point 400,000-odd people in fieldsports to the task of rebutting 20-odd loons; or do we ignore them, not dignify them with a response until they become a real pest (and then sue them for defamation, not just write pissy letters to the editor), and in the meantime turn 400,000-odd people in fieldsports to the task of promoting fieldsports?

Been waiting 25 years for them to put a foot wrong in their letter writing...If we had group defamation ,we would have sorted this out years ago.Maybe we could get them under incitement to hatred,or if we were a religion under the blasphemy laws.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Been waiting 25 years for them to put a foot wrong in their letter writing...If we had group defamation ,we would have sorted this out years ago.Maybe we could get them under incitement to hatred,or if we were a religion under the blasphemy laws.:rolleyes:

*shrug*
    Point 400,000 people to promote fieldsports and tell me a year later that despite all the improvements that would bring, that you still give a flying monkey about what Tierney's Twenty think...

Hi Marlin,
    I've been keeping a very close eye on Tierney,Wright,Fitzgerald et all for a looonggg time,even before the interweb came around.I proably know more than their parents about them.So I'm well aware that they read this forum..but so what??Its not like we dont read theirs either..:rolleyes:
    Nor are they going to learn anything about our feindish plans for world domination here either.:D

*shrug*
    Point 400,000 people to promote fieldsports and tell me a year later that despite all the improvements that would bring, that you still give a flying monkey about what Tierney's Twenty think...

As you always say the "2% rule" which would make us 8000 hardcore who will actually do somthing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

As you always say the "2% rule" which would make us 8000 hardcore who will actually do somthing?

Even allowing for the 2% rule, 8000 is substantially more than 20. :p

Hi Marlin,
    I've been keeping a very close eye on Tierney,Wright,Fitzgerald et all for a looonggg time,even before the interweb came around.I proably know more than their parents about them.
    Just think - if you'd spent that time on the range...
    So I'm well aware that they read this forum..but so what??Its not like we dont read theirs either..:rolleyes:
    I don't. Don't listen to liveline either.
    Life's too damn short Grizz...

Yup...

...but 8000 is at a rough guess about 7800 more than we have actually *doing* something in *all our sports combined* right now...

[Just think - if you'd spent that time on the range...
    IF there had been ranges around when I started in the 1980s,and somone has to do it.:D
    I don't. Don't listen to liveline either.
    Life's too damn short Grizz...
    Oh pleuzeeee.Even I know my limits!:rolleyes:

Yup...

...but 8000 is at a rough guess about 7800 more than we have actually *doing* something in *all our sports combined* right now...

True,but it wouldnt hurt to be more proactive once in awhile in the media spotlight?

@Fodda,True that can work both ways for them and against them too.I mean we are referred to as ",Blood morons" " Kill junkies" "small penises making up for their insecurity with big guns"
    We have never advocated violence or needed to publish bomb making manuals on our sites[Arson around with Auntie ALF being a famous one on the ALF site].Or need to invite terrorists to give lectures in Dublin pubs.
    So whos in better shape on the moral high ground?

True,but it wouldnt hurt to be more proactive once in awhile in the media spotlight?
    Oh hell yes. But that's not what you're talking about here. Responding to Tierney's latest ramblings isn't being proactive, it's being reactive. And to quote Wayne Gretzky, skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been. Responding to Tierney just means Tierney leads the conversation so that it's always going to start with "Hunting is bad, m'kay?" while what you really want is for the conversation to be starting with "Hunting is good, look what we've done this week".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Ireland's own foul-mouthed version of Michael Moore talking out of his rectum again.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Ireland's own foul-mouthed version of Michael Moore talking out of his rectum again.

tac

At least Michael Moore is into guns :pac:

Oh hell yes. But that's not what you're talking about here. Responding to Tierney's latest ramblings isn't being proactive, it's being reactive. And to quote Wayne Gretzky, skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been. Responding to Tierney just means Tierney leads the conversation so that it's always going to start with "Hunting is bad, m'kay?" while what you really want is for the conversation to be starting with "Hunting is good, look what we've done this week".

Coulldnt agree more with you on all of the above..But what have we done again this week??We have had to REact yet again for the umpteenth time to this lots drivel,and had to REact with the Ballymaloe house affair.

This is the cruncher what can we do to PROact for once?I know you will say that we can do so and you proved that last year in the letters page.Funny that you were the only person who got published mostly.:p
    Letters in the paper are todays news, tomrrows chipper wrappings.
    What I,and many others would like to know is ..

What can we do to take it to them for once??I mean it seems any good idea to try and get some positive publicity on the back of the antis proactive move is shot down [pardon the pun].I mean the idea of the 1000 pheasents I thought was brilliant,as thats a thousand dinners given maybe to people who have never eaten game and would try it.[Thats if Ballymaloe house can handle that many birds]
    It would be nice for once to actually see the fieldsports lobby do somthing that gets us some good visible PR and backfoots the antis forcing them to rEact for once.

• Advertisement

What I,and many others would like to know is ..
    What can we do to take it to them for once?

But that's my whole point.
    You don't take it to them. Why the hell would anyone take anything to Tierney's mob? They're not worth talking to. The thousand pheasants idea is a PR gag, and it'd be funny, but that's all it'd be. You have to turn your head around completely and lose this idea that you have to beat Tierney in the PR game - the reality is that you're not playing against him, and don't want to.

Why not promote the sport by writing about the actual sport rather than writing about why its critics are wrong? Where are the articles about the hard work that leads up to the day you release the latest crop of poults; or the training of a good dog; or the game recipes; or any of the other positive moments? And don't write them to Tierney; write them to the almost four million people out there who've never hunted and know nothing about it and show them why deriving satisfaction from a hard job well done isn't something to be ashamed of!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Why not promote the sport by writing about the actual sport rather than writing about why its critics are wrong? Where are the articles about the hard work that leads up to the day you release the latest crop of poults; or the training of a good dog; or the game recipes; or any of the other positive moments? And don't write them to Tierney; write them to the almost four million people out there who've never hunted and know nothing about it and show them why deriving satisfaction from a hard job well done isn't something to be ashamed of!

Because to anybody that aint interested which is 99% of the population .....it's boring!......just like you being lectured on knitting.

Joe public (just like you and me) will form his opinion on the first set of junk he is presented with in an acceptable way, this usually means a pair of breasts or an acceptable celeb cook or somebody.

Killing furry things and knocking holes in paper isnt sexy, looks barbaric or is the stuff for bored train spotters..........to the average joe.

What could be done would be to get celeb chefs and the like to do a good run on county sports, country life and eating game.

This was done in the UK 20 years ago with Floyd and the 2 fat ladies.......and it worked, but i dont see anybody that springs to mind in Ireland even though i admit i watch little tv.

But then you have to clean it up and distance yourself from parts of countrylife and putting things in print which arent and never will be acceptable.

fodda wrote: »
    Because to anybody that aint interested which is 99% of the population .....it's boring!......just like you being lectured on knitting.
    See, I'd believe you... if we hadn't already proven you're wrong.

By all means, celeb chefs and the like as well; but don't think that any newspaper is going to ignore a market of 400,000 people if they know it's there...

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

See, I'd believe you... if we hadn't already proven you're wrong.

By all means, celeb chefs and the like as well; but don't think that any newspaper is going to ignore a market of 400,000 people if they know it's there...

Sorry sparks i am not someone to argue with somebody who actually did something, but i see nothing there to show me that the majority gives a monkeys.

Think it whats the advertising world call "trying to make concrete sexy".

Think it whats the advertising world call "trying to make concrete sexy".

Yeah, there's no way you could make concrete interesting or sexy...

VICTORIOUS2.jpg
    University of Wisconsin concrete canoe team winning the 200m women's sprint event

concrete_canoe_use_t600.jpg
    University of Kansas concrete canoe team in difficulties

Advertisement