Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hibernia Secondary Hdip

• 05-01-2012 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

At the moment in this country we have a surplus of secondary school teachers.I think its a bit of a joke that the teaching council can go and sanction the hibernia secondary teaching dip.This will attract more out of work graduates into a career where very few jobs exist.Money spinner for hibernia yes but is not helping younger teachers looking for work.Im amazed that the unions did not query this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's not the Teaching Council's decision as to which courses are offered by colleges. Their function is to decide if the courses that are offered are suitable as teaching qualifications.

The Hibernia dip is accredited by HETAC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I agree with this. I already think it's crazy the amount of people getting onto the primary teaching postgrad. Seeing as they have two intakes per year on top of the people other colleges the market's flooded. They're fooling people who are parting with a lot of money to do the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kimchi99

Im having my own probs getting into teaching here, but my opinion is there should be more scrutiny of teachers and teaching practices.
    How many teachers do you know have been let go because they are incompetant?
    With more and more people getting into, or trying to get into teaching. The best teachers should be kept but those who are not up to the task shouldnt. The unions should be more concerned with raising standards than they are, and not on protecting those who have been privaleged enough to get a position.
    There are lots of good teachers out there, but in my own opinion and experience there is enough dead weight which should be gotten rid of if they are not up to the task......

ICANN wrote: »
    I agree with this. I already think it's crazy the amount of people getting onto the primary teaching postgrad. Seeing as they have two intakes per year on top of the people other colleges the market's flooded. They're fooling people who are parting with a lot of money to do the course.

Not really for this thread, but they're not fooling anyone. Anyone that has been watching the news for the last three years will have seen cuts in education in each of the last four budgets, including losses of teaching jobs. There will always be a certain amount of people who want to be primary teachers but anyone applying for a primary or secondary teaching qualification whether it be with Hibernia or otherwise should be going into it with their eyes wide open, and know that there is a strong possibility that after paying out 6k that they will not have a teaching job at the end of it. If they are not willing to accept that possibility on enrollment they are only fooling themselves.

Anyone doing the primary/secondary post grad in any of the other colleges is also paying out a substantial amount of money to do the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pjfogarty

Not really for this thread, but they're not fooling anyone. Anyone that has been watching the news for the last three years will have seen cuts in education in each of the last four budgets, including losses of teaching jobs. There will always be a certain amount of people who want to be primary teachers but anyone applying for a primary or secondary teaching qualification whether it be with Hibernia or otherwise should be going into it with their eyes wide open, and know that there is a strong possibility that after paying out 6k that they will not have a teaching job at the end of it. If they are not willing to accept that possibility on enrollment they are only fooling themselves.

Anyone doing the primary/secondary post grad in any of the other colleges is also paying out a substantial amount of money to do the course.

Its nonsense to be providing a brand new course for a career where there are no jobs.People have their eyes open but no one has come out and said that if you do the hdip you will be working abroad.With eperienced teachers unable to find work,these new graduates will be either emigrating or will be on the dole.I know for a fact that a lot of people entering the hdip courses at the moment do NOT know how hard it is to find work.If they did they would stay clear.Obviously it doesnt make sense for a private company to tell incoming students this.It seems to be about making money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

pjfogarty wrote: »
    Its nonsense to be providing a brand new course for a career where there are no jobs.People have their eyes open but no one has come out and said that if you do the hdip you will be working abroad.With eperienced teachers unable to find work,these new graduates will be either emigrating or will be on the dole.I know for a fact that a lot of people entering the hdip courses at the moment do NOT know how hard it is to find work.If they did they would stay clear.Obviously it doesnt make sense for a private company to tell incoming students this.It seems to be about making money.

Who's fault is it that people entering into the PGDE course don't know that there is no teaching jobs in Ireland? Are you implying that it is the course provider's?

While I am of the opinion that we need to significantly cut back on the number and the quality of student's enrolling I am also of the opinion that it is the responsibility of the person them self to research the job market and the likelihood of getting a job prior to undertaking the course.

pjfogarty wrote: »

I agree that it makes no sense to offer a course in an area that's over subscribed, but don't think for one minute that it's the college's responsibility to warn students about their job prospects. These are all third level graduates. At the age of at least 21 they should be able to do some research into the likelihood of employment on graduation from the dip. And it's not just a money making scheme for Hibernia. All of the other colleges are well able to charge for the course as well, it's a huge money spinner for them too. They all know there are few jobs to be found but they aren't cutting back on places either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seamulay

Hmmmm so young people should not train for the career they wish to pursue because of the current climate? If that was the case, then I'm sure loads of third level courses should be scrapped of the CAO!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

I have looked and can't seem to tell what is the difference between PGDE and GDED.

Ok well I get the names ;) edit is the PGDE for secondary/specific subjects teaching?

I am currently doing LC Irish to apply for Primary Teaching, and I have a B.ENG (H) in Software level 8.

I don't know where I should be applying, direct to colleges or the pac.ie?
    Any help appreciated.

Also my Irish is terrible doing a Tues night & Sat morning course and the gaeltacht any good sites you know of?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seamulay

shellita wrote: »
    I have looked and can't seem to tell what is the difference between PGDE and GDED.

Ok well I get the names ;) edit is the PGDE for secondary/specific subjects teaching?

I am currently doing LC Irish to apply for Primary Teaching, and I have a B.ENG (H) in Software level 8.

I don't know where I should be applying, direct to colleges or the pac.ie?
    Any help appreciated.

Also my Irish is terrible doing a Tues night & Sat morning course and the gaeltacht any good sites you know of?

There is loads of info on all this if you research on boards! Plus basic google! This is clearly the wrong forum!

• Advertisement
Advertisement