Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share permissions on windows member server

Options
  • 05-01-2012 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I have a Windows 2000 Server member server. Logged on as a domain admin.

I created a share and gave full share and security permissions to a domain user. When the user tries to access the share they get the access denied message.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

They need to have access over both the folder and the files in the folder as well as the share to access it.
    shayser wrote: »
    I have a Windows 2000 Server member server. Logged on as a domain admin.

I created a share and gave full share and security permissions to a domain user. When the user tries to access the share they get the access denied message.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭tech

check the security tab, also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Screenshots of the sharing & security tabs. I think I have got everything but still these two users are being denied access to the share.

187380.jpg

187381.jpg

187382.jpg

187383.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭tech

what share permissions did you give the standard users??
    Also after changing permissions did you logout and login back in on the client pc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

tech wrote: »
    what share permissions did you give the standard users??
    Don't quite get the question, sorry! Just working with the three users in the screenshots.
    tech wrote: »
    Also after changing permissions did you logout and login back in on the client pc?
    Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

You have shown the share permissions for administrator in the screenshot but not for the other two users. Could you confirm them? To be honest i think it is generally easier to have the share permissions fairly relaxed (allow domain users have full permissions to the share) and make the security permissions very restrictive. It makes troubleshooting considerably easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

set the share permissions to be Full control for the specific group then set the NTFS permisisons as you need them.

permisisons are most restrictive so if the Share is read only or not set then they wont be able to access them regardless of teh NTFS permissions

that way the group can access the share across the network and then the NTFS permissions dictate what lefel of access they have. FC/R etc

Advertisement