Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under rated Rappers

• 05-01-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭

Right I've been meaning to start this up since the over rated thread was started

I'll start it of,
    Tribe called quest, not as well known as they should be and they are one of my favourite groups, I can listen to literally anything they've recorded unlike a lot of other people i listen to.

The Pharcyde, absolutely class group again if you ask anybody who the pharcyde are they won't be able to tell you, they should be a lot more well known for the beats they have used which are unbelievable

Leaders of the new school, they were quality in there short existence and they could have received a lot more fame had it not been for busta stealing the lime light and then the group breaking up but in saying that he was definitely the best member but Dinco and Charlie brown were both brilliant too.

Mos Def, again he doesn't receive as much mainstream success as he should.

Xzibit, the lads lyrics are just pure class if you listen to him and he doesn't get as much mainstream attention either.

Lauryn Hill, people seem to forget that she's the best female MC that ever lived and it's an absolute shame she doesn't rap anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I agree except for Pharcyde who I have not listened to outside of the track a day thread.

Lauryn and Xzibit are the most underrated there purely because they just should be more well known as Lauryn was well known through Fugees and Xzibit was very tight with aftermath and then in movies/tv but neither crossed over and found huge success although both deserved it.

The others deserve more attention but I do not see them having Jay-z, eminem etc status in the mainstream but should be more known.

Also on a separate note Mos Def or whatever he goes by now is one of the smartest people in Hip-Hop. Because of that he would unlikely get mainstream acceptance.

Leaders of the new school and all its members are also excellent but a bit too eclectic for huge mass appeal.

Personally I think Sage Francis has been consistently amazing for years now and could/should have wide appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Inspectah Deck. Unreal lyrics, flow. My personal favourite outta the Wu. He was meant to release an album in 95 I believe but it got pushed back about 4 years because a load of the RZA's beats for the record were lost/wrecked in a flood. Still a very nice album.

All that waiting cant have done his career much good tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Inspectah Deck. Unreal lyrics, flow. My personal favourite outta the Wu. He was meant to release an album in 95 I believe but it got pushed back about 4 years because a load of the RZA's beats for the record were lost/wrecked in a flood. Still a very nice album.

All that waiting cant have done his career much good tho.
    +A million on Deck. He has the most precise flow out of any mc I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

OC, AG, Black Rob, Sean Price, Kurupt, Cormega, Infamous Mobb, Sauce Money, MOP, Buc Fifty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Harry the Red

u guys probbly dunt no this but boyzone is achtuily (mite have unspelt that) very good rappers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Harry the Red

what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 DHennessy

definitely agree with xzibit
    also, proof, evidence, joe budden and maybe Royce da 5 9 but hes been getting a lot of recognition lately even though his older stuff is better.
    but i think my top one would be joell ortiz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I agree except for Pharcyde who I have not listened to outside of the track a day thread.

Lauryn and Xzibit are the most underrated there purely because they just should be more well known as Lauryn was well known through Fugees and Xzibit was very tight with aftermath and then in movies/tv but neither crossed over and found huge success although both deserved it.

I agree with most suggestions but Lauryn had massive success with The Miseducation, she was a huge star when that dropped.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miseducation_of_Lauryn_Hill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Agree 100 per cent with pharcyde, I'm a huge fan got into them when I was around 15, my local barber who's a huge late 80's/90s hip hop fan gave me a pharcyde mix he had burnt onto a blank cd big fan ever since, Can't keep runnin away is one of my all time fav songs.

My underrated rappers would of the top if my head : Freddie Gibbs, Jadakiss and styles ,Lloyd banks, AZ, Freeway, big krit, Busta rhymes when he stays of that techno rubbish, bishop lamont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Joe budden is also another under rated rapper, the lads lyrics are so complex and his use of metaphors is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Jeru the Damaja's first 2 albums are really good.

Any of the Gang Starr albums are good too if you don't mind your rap "clean" (no bad language!)

My favourite Pharcyde track is "Drop", and not just for the awesome video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3qMdkucM0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Going REAL old school, check out some of The Egyptian Lover's early stuff, especially House on the Nile or Egypt, Egypt.

Or Kool Moe Dee's early stuff, right up to How Ya Like Me Now.

Or Kid Frost's Hispanic Causing Panic album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,834 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yeah Paddy sure i never even heard of the first 3 groups you put up until you told me about them, still havent really listened to much leaders of the new school but tribe are one of my favourite groups now, I think slaughterhouse are pretty underrated and even more is joell ortiz as a solo artist.

Yeah Paddy sure i never even heard of the first 3 groups you put up until you told me about them, still havent really listened to much leaders of the new school but tribe are one of my favourite groups now, I think slaughterhouse are pretty underrated and even more is joell ortiz as a solo artist.

Yeah and I still can't stand slaughterhouse ozzy, I just don't see the appeal in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Lauren hill is far from under rated and xibit is simply not that good so he is not under rated either, his albums always hugely dissapointed.
    Hill was rated as one of the best I should add.

Plus why are people equating how an artist is rated by fans with the main stream succes they may or may not have achieved.

Unless the question is who should be selling more music than they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Lauren hill is far from under rated and xibit is simply not that good so he is not under rated either, his albums always hugely dissapointed.
    Hill was rated as one of the best I should add.

Unless the question is who should be selling more music than they do.

Lauren sold a load of albums and was huge back in the day along with been critically adored by everyone. :o

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Yeah and I still can't stand slaughterhouse ozzy, I just don't see the appeal in them.

Well they're a good group and they're all great solo artists too, they have songs across a variety of topics and each artist has their own style and personality. Just check this out

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Lauren sold a load of albums and was huge back in the day along with been critically adored by everyone. :o
    Ye I know that was my point, badly emphasized ha.
    Not sure wat wud make anyone think she was under rated, the miseducation is a brilliant album and giving every piece of credit it deserves.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Ye I know that was my point, badly emphasized ha.
    Not sure wat wud make anyone think she was under rated, the miseducation is a brilliant album and giving every piece of credit it deserves.

well id say shes under rated in the sense that shes kinda forgotten by most people nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

just thinking there too, pharoahe monch is under rated big time imo!!, k'naan also springs to mind!

Under rated means they deserve more credit/success for the music they do.

I agree 100% with proof, his albums deserved more attention instead of being known as a glorified hypeman to Em and a member of d12.

Not underrated in general but in light of the overrated thread I would suggest people re/listen to 2pac.

• Advertisement

Under rated means they deserve more credit/success for the music they do.

I agree 100% with proof, his albums deserved more attention instead of being known as a glorified hypeman to Em and a member of d12.

And when he worked with Dilla or Dj premier his songs were flawless.

And when he worked with Dilla or Dj premier his songs were flawless.

I dunno who produced what but his albums were amazing.

well id say shes under rated in the sense that shes kinda forgotten by most people nowadays.
    Gotta disagree with that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Here's a few that come to mind:

Brother Ali
    Slug
    El-P
    I Self Devine
    OC
    Chino XL
    POS
    Sims
    Killah Priest
    Freeway
    Yasiin Bey ;)
    Blu
    Fashawn
    Elzhi
    Reks
    Edan
    Captial D
    Apathy
    Celph Titled
    Sage Francis
    B. Dolan
    Qwel
    Oddisee
    The Last Emperor
    Fresh Daily
    Trek Life

Going to stop now, this could go on for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Never thought Lauryn Hill was underrated myself. She was huge back in the day, and the Miseducation was amazing, I don't think anyone would disagree. I agree that she could have given much more after that given her talent, but it's her own doing. She decided herself to go off and have a million children, so clearly she just doesn't want to be in on it anymore. Maybe she'll come back. I hope so. I'd love to hear another great record from her.

I said in the overrated rappers thread that I thought Big Boi was a bit underrated. Always been a bit overshadowed by Andre, I thought. He's great in his own right though.

Not to repeat many that were already mentioned but one deserves repeating.

Sage Francis, easily one of the most underrated.

Jedi Mind Tricks (AOTP also)
    Scroobius Pip (Dan le sac with him also)
    Fort Minor

Not to repeat many that were already mentioned but one deserves repeating.

Sage Francis, easily one of the most underrated.

Jedi Mind Tricks (AOTP also)
    Scroobius Pip (Dan le sac with him also)
    Fort Minor

I never understood the appeal with JMT, I find them unbearable.

I never understood the appeal with JMT, I find them unbearable.

All of it? They have been going for around 14 years at this stage.

I like Stoupes production and the various rapping styles and most of the lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

Brother Ali
    Sage Francois
    Binary Star
    El-p
    to name but a few..
    also Homeboy Sandman and Soul Khan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Brother Ali
    Sage Francois
    Binary Star
    El-p
    to name but a few..
    also Homeboy Sandman and Soul Khan

Boy Sand could be getting there now after being shnapped up by Stones Throw

Advertisement