Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticks!

Options
  • 05-01-2012 2:02pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just looking at the survival tin on the BOB thread and it reminded me that I put one of these into mine last year
    turn-otom-tick-twister.jpg

If you don't know about ticks, you need to educate yourself and I'd recommend the following site http://ticktalkireland.org/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Annoying little shaggers them ticks. Never been bit by one here, only in England. Are they more common over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Blech. Hate ticks. I thought lyme disease was only in North America though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Doc Ruby wrote: »

Not at all, more info here
    http://www.hpsc.ie/hpsc/A-Z/Vectorborne/LymeDisease/Factsheet/

and

http://www.caireland.org/our_campaigns/rural_livelihoods_campaigns/Are_You_Tick_Aware?/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Doc Ruby wrote: »

No. My girlfriend has had it, you don't want to get it - seriously & genuinely.

You're planning on heading to Connemara? That's where she picked the little critter up. Those tick tools do work well, have removed a little tosser out of her daughter last year.

Not so careful with myself, familiarity breeds contempt being a sheep farmer they're part of the job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

And now I hate ticks even more. Still just doing a bit of quick study on it:
    Remember, an infected tick must be attached for more than 24 hours to successfully transmit B. burgdorferi to humans.
    So you should be alright with regular self inspections, which I'd do anyway.

Although why..?
    No. Although there had been a vaccine against human Lyme disease, this vaccine is no longer marketed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Ticks eh?
    The_Tick_Wallpaper_by_emucoupons.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

no not the tick :D:D

ticks

Yes there is Lymnes disease in places like Killarney national Park it is supposed to occur in places that have Deer I heard warnings about it when i used to go orienteering there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

As a wee fella, I was always told to avoid Bracken. That was where you were sure to pick up Scíortháins (sp).

And it is true, Bracken is one of the favoured habitats of both deer and sheep ticks.

Here's advice on how to remove the creatures.
    http://www.bada-uk.org/defence/removal/indextickremoval.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MaxWalker

Hello,
    I get these from the vet every time I can't find the old ones :D
    They come two to a pack, one for for larger ticks, the other for smaller.
    Instructions on small insert. Cost under £4 for the pair.
    As the ticks use a local anesthetic type 'spit', you may not be aware you have one till inspection, and unless you have a friend, mirror or very bendy neck, you will not be able to check all your bits.
    Hope this is of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

just so everyone knows getting bitten by a tick does not equal limes disease its only if there are wild(?) deer that harbour limes disease in the area you are walking.

whoops:eek::o

completely wrong in all the wrong ways

• Advertisement

sheesh wrote: »
    just so everyone knows getting bitten by a tick does not equal limes disease its only if there are wild(?) deer that harbour limes disease in the area you are walking.

Nope.

There are zero deer in my area, trust me, I've looked :D Herself wasn't anywhere else and still got it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

sheesh wrote: »
    Ixodes ticks are hosted by a wide range of mammals including deer, sheep and cows;
    http://www.hpsc.ie/hpsc/A-Z/Vectorborne/LymeDisease/Factsheet/

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tick Talk

Ticks are usually carried on smaller mammals when they are tiny. The adults tend to crawl higher up in a 'questing' position so they can detect carbon dioxide from passing animals & latch on with their hooked feet. The smaller larvae & nymphs however can hang around closer to the ground & may latch onto ground feeding birds, squirrels, mice & of course dogs sniffing around in tall grass & humans sitting or playing where the ticks maybe hiding. It's important therefore to be aware that ticks can grab onto you even if deer are not present in the area. In American the deer tick is the one most commonly known to carry Lyme diease (it's the sheep tick in Ireland, Ixodes ricinus) so it is often thought that only deer carry it but deer tend to be more suited as breeding gounds for adult ticks rather than being direct carriers of the disease. Tick Talk Ireland recently published a tick study where they asked members of the public to report where they had seen ticks. Kerry & Connemara came very high in the results, this backs up some of the data that was found by University Hospital Galway where they found Connemara to be endemic.

A copy of this article can be found on our site at http://ticktalkireland.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/lyme-mapping-west-of-ireland/

Blessed with ticks, rock, and rain we are, Gods country :D

Rocks and rain we need, but ticks we could do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Kerry & Connemara figures because they lurk around in heather & bracken, which there would be a lot of in those counties!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Advertisement