Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If this was my daughter, I'd be proud of her!

• 05-01-2012 2:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Short version:

* After burying her husband a week before - 18 Year old girl with her baby inside their home, trapped but armed - shoots robber dead with her gun. He was armed too. He had an accomplice.

* She asked the police twice was it ok to shoot!

* Self-Defense - she will NOT be charged.

Long version:
    * 'Is it OK if I shoot now?': Widowed teen mom gets permission from 911 operator to kill intruder... after waiting for him to break in.

* Sarah McKinley, 18, lost husband to lung cancer on Christmas Day

* Shot dead intruder on New Year's Eve who broke in carrying 12-inch knife
    Was on phone with 911 dispatchers for 21 minutes

On Christmas Day, 18-year-old Sarah McKinley lost her husband to lung cancer, leaving her the sole caregiver to their three-month-old son.
    On New Year’s Eve, the Oklahoma mother proved she was anything but defenceless after she shot and killed an intruder breaking into her home.

Two men tried breaking into Ms McKinley’s house, one armed with a 12-inch hunting knife. While on the phone with 911, the young mother shot and killed one of the intruders with a 12-gauge shotgun after he passed the threshold.

After her husband’s funeral the previous week, a man named Justin Martin stopped by Ms McKinley’s house, claiming he was a neighbour and only wanted to introduce himself.
    Ms McKinley, 18, was suspicious. She said he was calling late at night, when it was ‘pitch black outside.’

Martin returned on New Year’s Eve, this time in the middle of the day and armed with a hunting knife and an accomplice – a man identified as 29-year-old Dustin Stewart.
    The new mother told KOCO News that the men started knocking aggressively on her door, Martin in front and Stewart in the back.

She described to the Oklahoma station what she did: ‘I walked over and got the 12-gauge, went in the bedroom and got the pistol, put the bottle in his mouth, and then I called 911.’
    She also barricaded the front door with a sofa.

Ms McKinley asked the 911 dispatcher what to do should the two men break in.
    ‘I’ve got two guns in my hand – is it okay to shoot him if he comes in the door?’ she said.
    ‘I’m in here by myself with my infant baby, can I please get a dispatcher out here immediately?’
    Once the 911 dispatcher confirmed with the young mother that her doors were indeed locked, Ms McKinley asked again if she could shoot the intruders.

‘I can’t tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby,’ the dispatcher told her.
    Ms McKinley was on the phone with two dispatchers - which represented two neighbouring counties - for a total of 21 minutes.
    Around 2pm, Martin kicked in the door and Ms McKinley shot him once in the torso. Since police said the shooting was in self-defence, she will not be charged.

Police found Martin, 24, slumped over a floral-print sofa with a single gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

His accomplice, Stewart, told police he fled after he heard the gunshot and later was later driven to the police station by his parents, Newson6.com reports.
    He’s being held in Grady County jail on felony murder charges and will be arraigned later today, NewsOK.com reports.
    Detective Dan Huff told KOCO-TV that under some circumstances, shooting a person is permissible.

‘You’re allowed to shoot an unauthorised person that is in your home,’ he said.
    'The law provides you the remedy, and sanctions the use of deadly force.
    The Oklahoma Castle Doctrine, otherwise known as the Make My Day law, states you can only shoot an intruder if they have entered your home.
    Attorney Doug Frieson told Newson6.com that the law always protects someone in their home, no matter the circumstances.

‘The simple fact that you’re unauthorised in the home is enough that allows the homeowner to use deadly force.’
    She said that though the shooting was justified, it was by no means an easy decision to make.
    ‘It was either going to be him or my son. And it wasn’t going to be my son,’ she said. She added: ‘There’s nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child.’

Detectives will continue their investigation after they obtain a search warrant for Martin’s car.
    Grady County Sheriff Art Kell told MailOnline that a shooting case like this is rare. ‘Around the state, maybe two to three people get shot,’ he said.
    He said there are three deputies to cover the county’s 12,000 square miles, meaning a response could hardly be immediate.
    Mr Kell added: ‘When (our dispatcher) got the call, we need to get more information, what’s the reason for the guy outside.’
    Since Ms McKinley was calling from a cell phone, her exact location was hard to pinpoint. But, he added, ‘the deputy was en route within seven minutes.’

He said that Ms McKinley’s husband was in his 50s and the couple were married two years ago.
    Mr Kell said one of his dispatchers, Diane Graham, handled the call 911 call.
    ‘I knew she was scared because she was whispering,’ Ms Graham, a 911 dispatcher from the Grady County Sheriff’s Office told KFOR-TV.
    ‘Anything can be serious in a moment’s notice, so you need to believe what they say when they call and get the help to them as quick as you can,’ Ms Graham explained.

She stayed on the phone with the scared mother before transferring her to the Blanchard Police.
    Ms McKinley was gracious to the dispatchers for helping her in the difficult situation. ‘The 911 dispatcher was awesome,’ she told KFOR-TV. ‘I was feeding off her and she was calm, so I could be calm.’

Det. Huff told KFOR-TV that he and his fellow detectives believe the home invasion to have been ‘premeditated.’
    The attack, as new reports reveal, may have been premeditated. Ms McKinley’s mother told Newson6.com that Martin stalked her daughter at a rodeo two years ago.
    The two have since bumped into each other at a nearby convenience store. Ms McKinley said she didn’t know who he was until after the shooting, when she pieced everything together.

In addition, two of her dogs were recently found dead.
    Since news has spread, members of the Blanchard community are eager to help the young widow, donating clothes and gifts, as well as starting long-term funds for her son.
    Ms McKinley is touched by the kindness. She told KFOR-TV: ‘You don’t realise how many good people there are until tragedy happens and then they step forward.
    'Kinda lose faith in the human race, but when people help, it puts that back in.’
    ARAH MCKINLEY'S 911 CALL TO GRADY COUNTY SHERIFF

DISPATCHER: What's going on?
    SARAH MCKINLEY: There's a guy at my door. I’ve got some dogs that keep coming up missing. This guy’s up to no good. My husband just passed away. I’m here by myself with my infant baby. Can I please get a dispatch out here immediately?

DISPATCHER: Hang with me a second. Are your doors locked?

SARAH MCKINLEY: Yes, I’ve got two guns in my hands. Is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?

DISPATCHER: Well, you have to do whatever you can do to protect yourself. I can’t tell you that you can do that, but you do what you have to do to protect your baby. Is he trying to get in the door?

SARAH MCKINLEY: He just keeps knocking.

DISPATCHER: Okay. Alright. Do you have like an alarm on your car that you can set off with your remote control that might scare him and get him away?

SARAH MCKINLEY: No, I don’t.

DISPATCHER: Alright, that’s okay.(rustling)

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082210/Sarah-McKinley-Teen-mom-shoots-dead-intruder-week-babys-father-died-cancer.html#ixzz1iafLzckC

By the looks of things, the crooks might have killed off her dogs too in preparation for their attack.
    Having a go at her so soon after burying her husband, what they didn't reckon for is the calibre of the girl to stay calm!

Well done to her! fair play to her. I wish her well.

Moral of the story: NEVER underestimate anyone - especially a person willing to defend their baby and home!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Justin N' Dustin - a promising comedic burglar duo name until that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Proper order. Your home is your castle. Enter uninvited at your own risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why not shoot him in the legs?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I'd do the same if I had a 12-gauge shotty. Until then, any robber will have to say hello to my other little friend, the baseball bat.

Assuming she couldn't with a couch blocking the aim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Then he'd probably live.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I assume once he got through the door with his mate, he would be moving fast.
    As we can assume she would be no expert crackshot, the easiest thing to do to ensure the safety of herself and baby, was to aim for the largest part of the target.
    Add to that, shooting him in the leg was NO guarantee that it would stop him.
    Even if she was even lucky to aim right and do it, he could still with his mate, in anger, attack her and kill her!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Because he is breaking into your house with a giant blade....so **** him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Because he was armed too! He could still shoot back if he was shot in the leg.

F*ck him. He got what he deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

LOL

"The make my day law"

The girl done good, she had little choice.

Pinko liberal bit.

I wouldn't want to cross somebody that waited patiently and silently for the moment when it became legal to shoot somebody dead even if they were horrible people. She should have called out that she was armed.

Not shedding any tears for somebody that breaks into a house armed knowing a single mother is there, mind you. Just saying it sounds a little like clinical execution. Perhaps the law in that state helps by basically legally guaranteeing burglar turkey-shoots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DISPATCHER: Okay. Alright. Do you have like an alarm on your car that you can set off with your remote control that might scare him and get him away?
    A new use for the Panic button on my car keys; I thought it was just for when I got lost coming back out of walmart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

How does she know what weapons he has on him. For all she knows he might have a gun and if she only wounds him in the leg that leaves 2 hands to shoot her with...

She made the right decision

Its America you have to assume he is armed with a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Fair enough to expect that kind of rational thinking from a cop or a soldier trained to deal with those kind of situations, but a teenager trying to protect her baby from a guy with a hunting knife? No guuarantee a shot to the legs would stop him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Proud? I don't know if I'd want my 18 year old daughter married to a guy in his 50s. Unless she was doing some gold digging and passing on the profits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

18 and already married with a baby???? No daughter of mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Well it looks like she shot him........

*put on glasses

Justin time.

YEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Normally these threads end up in a battle between gung-ho, frothing at the mouth loonies who want to be able to do anything they want to an intruder, no matter what danger they actually pose, and those of us who believe in civil and human rights.

In this case however, I think there is no doubt that she had the right to defend herself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK fair play, I'd do similar myself if I had to. Dunno about proud mind you. Blasting someonee stopped by a couch is hardly mission impossible. but anyone else note that her husband who died was in his 50's and she's 18 and they were married for two years. So she was 16ish year old girl with guy at least in his late 40's when they met? WTF? I hear banjos.

Edit others beat me to it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

The Oklahoma Castle Doctrine, otherwise known as the Make My Day law, states you can only shoot an intruder if they have entered your home.

Greatest name ever:) Fair play to her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Sarah McKinley, 18
    He said that Ms McKinley’s husband was in his 50s and the couple were married two years ago.
    What. The. ****?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Because it was Life, not a Video Game or Dungeons and Dragons.

Because she barricaded the door with a couch and his legs weren't even exposed.

Because being shot in the legs doesn't not mean you are going to stop.

Because when someone comes at you with a hunting blade and breaks into your house it's to Rape and/or Kill you, not carve a turkey.

update: And because a Double Barrel shotgun has 2 shells; one per intruder.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Pinko liberal bit.

I wouldn't want to cross somebody that waited patiently and silently for the moment when it became legal to shoot somebody dead even if they were horrible people. She should have called out that she was armed.

Seems like an unfair advantage to give to someone trying to rape you. Not only would that let him know to watch out for it but also where she was set-up. I really don't feel they are owed any warning: they busted into the house, and got shot. End of the story lads. Not 'oh this one has a gun, let's go terrorize someone else'.

Pinko Liberal indeed. How many chances do you both think a home invader is owed??
    Normally these threads end up in a battle between gung-ho, frothing at the mouth loonies who want to be able to do anything they want to an intruder, no matter what danger they actually pose, and those of us who believe in civil and human rights.
    Dumbest loaded over-generalization I've heard since "Anti-Life".

28064212 wrote: »
    What. The. ****?

Let's be honest:

Overheal wrote: »
    Seems like an unfair advantage to give to someone trying to rape you.'

That's a surmise. Possibly an accurate one but still a surmise.

Not that I care that much about whether a armed burglar got shot, but I'm not sure I love the orgiastic congratulatory overtones either which seem to be distantly related aspects of the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Every right to defend herself like she did.

If she did indeed scare them off, what was to stop them coming back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Not that I care that much about whether a armed burglar got shot, but I'm not sure I love the orgiastic congratulatory overtones either which seem to be distantly related aspects of the same problem.

**** them anyway. they weren't dropping in for a chat.

Indeed. Young, 18, they had been stalking her, knew she was alone, possibly even vulnerable. What else would I break into the house for. It wasn't for valuables, if it was valuables they wouldve gone when she wasnt there. They were after her, in my estimation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Fear Uladh wrote: »

Scared of getting shot... that would stop me going back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Cos it wouldn't be half the 'fun'
    If I was in her position I wouldn't have been leaving him alive either!

Ah tis stories like this that warm the cockles of your heart :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The leg shot is a Hollywood myth, no one trained in weapons would advise such a shot it would be an extremely stupid move in what was life or death situation. It's even dafter to suggest an untrained person should try and pull of something that's both difficult and ineffective.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    **** them anyway. they weren't dropping in for a chat.

True.

The local men are going to lining up to ride her after this.

Still not 19 and already one life notch on the bedpost.

Yee-Hah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i think it's more a reaction to how different things are in a country where the rights of the innocent outweigh those of the guilty.

Honestly put your loved one in the situation of that girl and consider if you would be discussing the nature of her response and asking her if she could have considered chancing a warning shot and maybe scaring them off

There is no joy to be got from the loss of life, but there is relief to see the law protecting the innocent.

Fear Uladh wrote: »

And better armed.

Its a case of persistence not paying off, the burglar spent 20 minutes breaking in.

I have to say if I caught someone in my house, it would lead to a messy end, one of us is going to get severely hurt.

Wibbs wrote: »
    OK fair play, I'd do similar myself if I had to. Dunno about proud mind you. Blasting someonee stopped by a couch is hardly mission impossible. but anyone else note that her husband who died was in his 50's and she's 18 and they were married for two years. So she was 16ish year old girl with guy at least in his late 40's when they met? WTF? I hear banjos.

Edit others beat me to it.

You have a point about the later aspects - but to be clear - I'd be proud of her staying calm, thinking of feeding the child a bottle with one hand to keep it quiet and not give away her position, hold two guns with the other hand and still holding them all, managed to stop an incoming danger - while still on the phone!

The above to do takes a person of exceptional composure!
    Thats why I say I'd be proud of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Biggins wrote: »
    You have a point about the later aspects - but to be clear - I'd be proud of her staying calm, thinking of feeding the child a bottle with one hand to keep it quiet and not give away her position, hold two guns with the other hand and still holding them all, managed to stop an incoming danger - while still on the phone!

The above to do takes a person of exceptional composure!
    Thats why I say I'd be proud of her.
    That's mammy's for ya, clean the clothes, feed the baby, shot intruder, hoover the sitting room then off to the shops to get dinner.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's mammy's for ya, clean the clothes, feed the baby, shot intruder, hoover the sitting room then off to the shops to get dinner.

It makes for a hell of a Christmas!
    What did we do for Christmas! :D

Police found Martin, 24, slumped over a floral-print sofa with a single gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Jesus.. a floral print sofa.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Why let thrash like that live if its lawful to shoot him. Why give him the benefit of the doubt.

Besides shooting him in the leg may not have been enough to restrain him if he had a weapon.

It does seem like one of those details you'd see in a Guy Ritchie or Tarantino film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Police found Martin, 24, slumped over a [SIZE="3"]floral-print [/SIZE]sofa with a single gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Now THAT'S a crime.

• Advertisement

OKAY I GET IT

Can I have a gun now too please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

woodoo wrote: »
    Why let thrash like that live if its lawful to shoot him. Why give him the benefit of the doubt.

Besides shooting him in the leg may not have been enough to restrain him if he had a weapon.

Unless his knife had the ability to fly and attack on it's own I think she'd have been just fine. Basically, the only scenario in which what took place was the only possible recourse involves magic weapons is what I'm saying here.

But whatever, shitty states have shitty laws. In other news water wet, sky blue.

OKAY I GET IT

Can I have a gun now too please?

No you ffing can't.

No-one in Ireland should possess a legal firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Why not break into her home.

This guy is a piece of **** that planned this attack. He thought he had an easy victim. Lord knows how many other people he has done this to and he deserves what he got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Widowed teen mom gets permission from 911 operator to kill intruder.
    what answer did she expect to receive from a terrorist? It's like asking a politician if it's alright to donate some money to their campaign

Unless his knife had the ability to fly and attack on it's own I think she'd have been just fine. Basically, the only scenario in which what took place was the only possible recourse involves magic weapons is what I'm saying here.
    Are you forgetting about his accomplice? And were you there, so do you know he would have *had* to throw a 12" hunting blade at her?

Still does not negate the other good reasons she couldn't just shoot him in the legs. A sofa being one of them. But no don't let me stop your video game fantasy. You earn +3 light side points.

edit: also, it looks like it was a double barrel shotgun. That's one shell per each of two intruders. Make the **** count. Not exactly the 10-clip Saiga 12 we have downstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

18 and already married with a baby???? No daughter of mine!

18 and unmarried with a baby that´s the Irish way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

The saddest thing about this story is one of the cnuts got away. They knew that they were targeting a 18 y.o. widow home on her own with a baby. Scum

what answer did she expect to receive from a terrorist?
    whiskey tango foxtrot? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Overheal wrote: »
    whiskey tango foxtrot? :confused:
    911 = 9/11

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
Advertisement