Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary Teaching Salary question

• 05-01-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

Apologies in advance for the long email - but need to state the relevant facts.

Looking for advice from those with experience of the Dept of Ed. payroll system.

My wife has been subbing on and off since graduating with her B.Ed from Mary I in June 2009 (getting a 2.1). She was lucky enough to get a place to do her H. Dip straight away. During and since her H.Dip she would have done well in excess of 183 days subbing (she has never had a temporary contract) - although she's been subbing in the same school since September 2011 and has been told she will be in until Easter at least.

As she's been subbing for more than 40 days she's gone from the €195 per day rate to the following per day rate...

Basic - Subbing €174.71 (equivalent of Pay scale 2 €31,971.93 annual) - she started on payscale 2 because of 3 year degree
    Degree - €26.87 (equivalent of €4,918 annual)

The questions I have are:-

1. Should she be due her H. Dip allowance of €1,236 (€6.75 per day)?
    2. Is she not entitled to move automatically onto the next payscale after working 183 days subbing?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Am out of touch with salary for non permanent teachers. I'd either ring the INTO or payroll in DES -get a name and tell that person you'll be back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Am out of touch with salary for non permanent teachers. I'd either ring the INTO or payroll in DES -get a name and tell that person you'll be back to them.

Thanks - Will advise her to make contact. Will let others know the outcome - others may be in the same boat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

might be worth asking on the fora at educationposts.ie, younger crowd might be more in touch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Best of luck getting in touch with the Payroll - they are notoriously bad for picking up the phone. I read somewhere - can't remember where - that they only answer the phone an hour or two a day. Also, the advice you get depends alot on who answers, seriously!
    I've had dealings with them and they were fairly brutal if I'm being honest. I finally got through to one lady ( more senior in age judging by the voice) and she sorted all my details in less than 5 mins - absolute fantastic to deal with.

With regard to the 183 days, please make sure you have EVERY start date and finish date, school name, school address, school roll number etc ready as you will probably need them. I'm not sure do you go up the payscle when you are still subbing, I thought that was when you had a longer term contract. You can claim up to 3 years on the incremantal scale when you go off the subbubg scale - I think!
    As has already been said, educationposts, is definately worth doing a search in.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

smcgiff wrote: »
    Hello folks,

Apologies in advance for the long email - but need to state the relevant facts.

Looking for advice from those with experience of the Dept of Ed. payroll system.

My wife has been subbing on and off since graduating with her B.Ed from Mary I in June 2009 (getting a 2.1). She was lucky enough to get a place to do her H. Dip straight away. During and since her H.Dip she would have done well in excess of 183 days subbing (she has never had a temporary contract) - although she's been subbing in the same school since September 2011 and has been told she will be in until Easter at least.

As she's been subbing for more than 40 days she's gone from the €195 per day rate to the following per day rate...

Basic - Subbing €174.71 (equivalent of Pay scale 2 €31,971.93 annual) - she started on payscale 2 because of 3 year degree
    Degree - €26.87 (equivalent of €4,918 annual)

The questions I have are:-

1. Should she be due her H. Dip allowance of €1,236 (€6.75 per day)?
    2. Is she not entitled to move automatically onto the next payscale after working 183 days subbing?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Cheers

I think you are confusing the probationary year, commonly know as the "Dip" year, with an actual Higher Diploma. There is no extra allowance for completing the probationary, or "Dip", year.

Regarding moving up the pay scale, I cannot say for certain, but I can only assume that she will.

• Advertisement
Advertisement