Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap membership around Cork

Options
  • 05-01-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I am currently a member of Mallow but only played 6 times last year which equals €150+ per round. I want to join a cheap GC so that I can keep my handicap and play opens/scratch cups when I can without forking out €900+ membership. I know about Slievenamon €150 (don't like the reputation it has) and Ring of Kerry €240 inclu. GUI card. Does anyone know of other cheap membership clubs even if it is distance membership?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Frankfield? Only about €350 for the year. Good craic but cr4p golf course

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Back9bandit

Mitchelstown are doing a deal €500 for new members. PM me for details if you are interested. also if a member introduces two new members, all three pay €500, so anybody else intrested, let me know. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22 whatyamacallit

Thanks for the replies. I am not looking for a club that I will go to every week just somewhere that I can join cheap and then play other courses during opens etc. I am not one of these bandits who just wants a handicap so I can go and win prizes in opens. I just want to have the freedom to play more clubs without feeling the need to play my home club because I spent €900+ sub. It seems to me that ROK is probably my best option because I do not like the reputation Slievenamon has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

With respect, you asked about cheap membership in Cork, then put up two options, one in Kenmare, one in Clonmel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 whatyamacallit

Point taken. I really should have put Munster in the title.

• Advertisement

if you are not going to play in the clubthat you intend joining, why does it have to be in munster? Achill do a membership with gui card for €150

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭Deco1983

Thanks for the replies. I am not looking for a club that I will go to every week just somewhere that I can join cheap and then play other courses during opens etc. I am not one of these bandits who just wants a handicap so I can go and win prizes in opens. I just want to have the freedom to play more clubs without feeling the need to play my home club because I spent €900+ sub. It seems to me that ROK is probably my best option because I do not like the reputation Slievenamon has.

With all due respect Slievenamon sounds about right for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 niteowl2010

I am currently a member of Mallow but only played 6 times last year which equals €150+ per round. I want to join a cheap GC so that I can keep my handicap and play opens/scratch cups when I can without forking out €900+ membership. I know about Slievenamon €150 (don't like the reputation it has) and Ring of Kerry €240 inclu. GUI card. Does anyone know of other cheap membership clubs even if it is distance membership?
    You can now join frankfield for 150 but there is restrictions you can only play opens

You can now join frankfield for 150 but there is restrictions you can only play opens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

As one of the newbies what does that mean in terms of playing? Do you still need to pay to play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Surely doneraile would be worth inquiring about?

As one of the newbies what does that mean in terms of playing? Do you still need to pay to play?
    You pay 160 not 150 sorry you would be an associate member you can only play in open competitions in the club, you can not play in full member competitions. Monday to friday you can play any time, saturday and sunday after 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

I'm kinda in the same boat. Looking for somewhere cheap to join, but I will probably play there about every two weeks. Should be within 45 miins of the city.

Open to any ideas?:D

Harry21, if you play twice a week for 30 weeks(the golf season is even longer than that now) it would cost €600 in greenfees approx(€20 x 30) so it would make sense to join the likes of Mitchelstown. Full membership €500 for new members and easy to get to by motorway.
    You could join frankfield and you will get on fine if your left leg is 9 inches shorter than your right .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

TBH there isn't great value to be had in Cork. Its either relatively expensive or a poor course. You now have Bandon, Lee Valley with no joining fee but subs of 1089, 1200. I see there are courses (reputedly of similar standard or better) in Leinster for 600 - 700.

Lisselan is a pretty good 9 hole course. Its €520, but quite wet in winter. Some nice holes there. Other than that Charlev, Mitchelstown, Fermoy, Youghal, all around the same price i would think?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

You could join frankfield and you will get on fine if your left leg is 9 inches shorter than your right .

I've heard that alright. Never play it but go to the range there.

@peepee: I like lisselan, but a bit too much walking between holes for me, especially crossing the road (twice!).

I'm not going to be playing golf twice a week either... I'd be lucky to get out once so hence the reason I want it to be cheap. I'm mostly interested in the HC card. I'm happy enough toddling around different courses. I tend to buy four balls as they come up in deals. Its very good value that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

I see Raffeen Creek have their AGM Monday night where they will discuss new members and hopefully reduction in fees...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭jimmystars

peepee wrote: »
    TBH there isn't great value to be had in Cork. Its either relatively expensive or a poor course. You now have Bandon, Lee Valley with no joining fee but subs of 1089, 1200. I see there are courses (reputedly of similar standard or better) in Leinster for 600 - 700.

Lisselan is a pretty good 9 hole course. Its €520, but quite wet in winter. Some nice holes there. Other than that Charlev, Mitchelstown, Fermoy, Youghal, all around the same price i would think?

Lisselan is 250 for country membership on the website. Decent base but might be a bit far from mallow.

Ballykisteen Country €0.00 €550.00
    Bantry Bay Country €0 €520
    Berehaven Country €200
    Blarney Country €0 €500
    Cahir Park Country €380
    Carrick-on-suir Country €250
    Castleisland Country €FREE €300
    Castletroy Country €Nil €415
    Charleville Country €0 €355
    Clonmel Country €Nil €385

Category Entrance Fee Annual Sub
    Co. Tipperary Country €425
    Dromoland Country €5000 €950
    Dungarvan Country €Nil €245
    Dunmore East Country €n/a €320
    Ennis Country €0 €406
    Faithlegg Country
    Fermoy Country €0 €535
    Glengarriff Country €0.00 €280.00
    Goldcoast Country €290
    Kenmare Country €295.00
    Kilrush Country €Nil €325
    Lismore Country €200
    Ring Of Kerry Country €FREE €215.00
    Roscrea Country €0 €260
    Shannon Country €550.00 €360.00
    Skibbereen Country €0 €355
    Slievenamon Country €180
    Thurles Country €0 €500
    Waterville Country
    West Waterford Country €0 €250

From the gui.ie membership search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I see Raffeen Creek have their AGM Monday night where they will discuss new members and hopefully reduction in fees...

That has already been discussed and passed at an EGM in Dec. They are currently accepting members , joining fee is gone. Annual sub approx €500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

jimmystars wrote: »
    Lisselan is 250 for country membership on the website. Decent base but might be a bit far from mallow.

Ballykisteen Country €0.00 €550.00
    Bantry Bay Country €0 €520
    Berehaven Country €200
    Blarney Country €0 €500
    Cahir Park Country €380
    Carrick-on-suir Country €250
    Castleisland Country €FREE €300
    Castletroy Country €Nil €415
    Charleville Country €0 €355
    Clonmel Country €Nil €385

Category Entrance Fee Annual Sub
    Co. Tipperary Country €425
    Dromoland Country €5000 €950
    Dungarvan Country €Nil €245
    Dunmore East Country €n/a €320
    Ennis Country €0 €406
    Faithlegg Country
    Fermoy Country €0 €535
    Glengarriff Country €0.00 €280.00
    Goldcoast Country €290
    Kenmare Country €295.00
    Kilrush Country €Nil €325
    Lismore Country €200
    Ring Of Kerry Country €FREE €215.00
    Roscrea Country €0 €260
    Shannon Country €550.00 €360.00
    Skibbereen Country €0 €355
    Slievenamon Country €180
    Thurles Country €0 €500
    Waterville Country
    West Waterford Country €0 €250

From the gui.ie membership search

U do realise that the condition for country membership is that you are a full member of another golf course don't you? I think you've confused this with distance membership which some clubs offer.

• Advertisement

Didnt know there was a difference to be honest. Dont have a distance membership option on the gui site.
    A couple of friends of mine have country membership in Blarney and are def not member in another course. Wonder if the clubs listed make a distiction. Im sure not all of them do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Any one on here play ring of kerry course? At 215 euro per annum sub with no joining fee it looks a great deal , am i missing something? Is it not a good course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

jimmystars wrote: »
    Didnt know there was a difference to be honest. Dont have a distance membership option on the gui site.
    A couple of friends of mine have country membership in Blarney and are def not member in another course. Wonder if the clubs listed make a distiction. Im sure not all of them do.
    How much if you don't mind me asking ?
    And what does it entitle them to ?

Seems to play same as everyone else as far as i know. Played interclub for them as well. Uses the gym as well. Think he pays aound 560 with a few levies bringing up the price. Im open to correction on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

BERBA wrote: »
    Any one on here play ring of kerry course? At 215 euro per annum sub with no joining fee it looks a great deal , am i missing something? Is it not a good course?

Member here. Great course. With the GUI membership, the cost is 240euro. Ground can be soft underfoot but from March - October, the place is in fantastic nick.

10 holes open at present as they are working on the drainage on the upper holes. Very friendly club and the place is a real test, very few weak holes. Fantastic views and elevation drops to the fairway etc.

Check out their website, there's a good video showing the course. Facilities in the clubhouse are fantastic also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

bailey99 wrote: »
    Member here. Great course. With the GUI membership, the cost is 240euro. Ground can be soft underfoot but from March - October, the place is in fantastic nick.

10 holes open at present as they are working on the drainage on the upper holes. Very friendly club and the place is a real test, very few weak holes. Fantastic views and elevation drops to the fairway etc.

Check out their website, there's a good video showing the course. Facilities in the clubhouse are fantastic also.

Cheers for that Bailey99 , was down there saturday to check it out and got to play 9 holes , course should have been closed tbh , conditions were poor , fairways looked like you were playing from the rough, presume they can't do any work at present on the course as its so soft underfoot , but its definitely a test and the facilities are superb.

Why then is membership fee so reasonable? , is it the case the majority of members are distance members?

Advertisement