Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about doing another Undergraduate degree.

Options
  • 05-01-2012 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Just a quick question,

I have a double bachelor arts degree in philosophy and anthropology but I don't want to continue doing that. Since I did fairly crap in the leaving cert I didnt get the points I needed to do computer science. Can I do undergraduate computer science now that I have an undergraduate degree without having to repeat the leaving cert?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Postgraduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

are you old enough to apply as a mature student? Many programmes offer this option (must be over 23yrs) and they assess you based on prior experience (ie, previous degrees and work). Contact the university you want to attend to find out if they offer this .

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

You can apply as a mature student but you will have to pay all the fees as you will not qualify for a grant as you already hold a degree, depending on the course it could be as high as 7k per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Agent_99 wrote: »
    You can apply as a mature student but you will have to pay all the fees as you will not qualify for a grant as you already hold a degree, depending on the course it could be as high as 7k per year.

That's not quite true, it depends on an applicant's circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

FlashD wrote: »
    That's not quite true, it depends on an applicant's circumstances.

Unfortunately it is true in many cases. If you already hold an Hons degree in any discipline it usually means you can't avail of free fees for a second qualification at the same level or lower. You can check your situation with the DES student support unit on 057 9325317.

Regarding your question about the LC OP no, you generally dont have to have a LC for third level as a mature student but you would need to check the eligibility requirements that would apply with the relevant college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 emma1982

Have you considered applying to a postgrad diploma or masters? I know it's a different discipline but I'd encourage you to take a look, especially if you have a 2.1 or a first in your degree, and even if you don't. If you're enthusiastic and show that you are willing to work hard enough to overcome the fact that you haven't done your primary degree in the same area that may be what they're looking for, more so than someone who's applying just because they're straight out of a degree in the same field. I started a masters in September in a totally different field to my undergrad (and after 6 years of working in another unrelated area!). I was going to apply to either an degree or diploma course instead of the masters because I thought they wouldn't accept me but a friend gave me the above advice and I went for it so don't rule out going straight to a postgrad course. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is true in many cases. If you already hold a degree in any discipline it usually means you can't avail of free fees for a second qualification at the same level or lower. You can check your situation with the DES student support unit on 057 9325317.

Ok, I think this needs to be clarified because there are 2 situations I can think of that are not quite clear to me.

1. What happens if a student holds an ordinary degree which isn't honours, ordinary degrees are normally awarded after 3 years full time and are the equivalent of a higher diploma. Honours degress are awarded after 4 years full time.

2. What if an applicant has been unemployed for a lengthy period of time qualifying them for the BTEA. What if this student already holds an honours degree? Can they apply to do a new degree and get the BTEA?

If anyone knows, please clarify.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Ok, I think this needs to be clarified because there are 2 situations I can think of that are not quite clear to me.

1. What happens if a student holds an ordinary degree which isn't honours, ordinary degrees are normally awarded after 3 years full time and are the equivalent of a higher diploma. Honours degress are awarded after 4 years full time.

If you hold a three years Ord degree you get free fees for a one year course that brings your qualification to a level 8 hons degree. When this system was introduced first there was confusion round this in that some people did get free fees for a four year level 8 after a three year level 7 but this has since been clarified by the DES.
    2. What if an applicant has been unemployed for a lengthy period of time qualifying them for the BTEA. What if this student already holds an honours degree? Can they apply to do a new degree and get the BTEA?

If anyone knows, please clarify.

Regards.

They can apply to do the degree but they will have to pay fees for it. They may get BTEA but BTEA has NOTHING to do with the Dept of Education. Its administered by the DSP who have eligibility criteria that are different from those applicable for free fees etc.

Advertisement