Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary teaching info/help

• 05-01-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Firstly not sure if this is the correct forum but its a good place to start.

I graduated from Nuig a few years ago with a 2.1 honours commerce degree. I had 440 points in my leaving cert in 2005. I didn't do honours Irish because at the time it was surplus to requirements so I took the lazy way out. I'm currently 24 years old.
    Before anyone states the obvious I know teaching jobs are thin on the ground, I'm just trying to explore my options.

What are my options for becoming a Primary school teacher.
    - If I resit honours Irish in the lC and get an honour will that automatically allow me apply through the cao system? Have I left it to late to this in the upcoming leaving cert? If the points were around 500 for teaching would I be classified as a mature student or would i need the full points requirements as all applicants
    - what are my options in going to England
    - What are my other options

Sorry for all the questions but I need some advice and guidance,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Yes, if you have the C3 in Honours Irish, as well as meeting all the other grade requirements, you can apply through the CAO. However, based on previous years, you would be unlikely to get into a B.Ed. course with 440 points.

I think your best option is to re-sit Honours Irish, do the very best you can i.e. aim for an A1, and apply for one of the postgraduate primary teaching courses in Ireland. You'll have the option of Marino, Pat's, Froebel, Mary I and Hibernia.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As you mentioned the England options - I studied in Strawberry Hill in Twickenham and I thought it was a fantastic course. There were 120 students in my year with about 100 of them from Ireland. I spoke to a number of principals when researching the different colleges and they agreed St. Mary's had a good reputation. If you go down the route of qualifying abroad you will have to do the SCG when you come back - it's relatively hard but doable. You won't be able to do your Dip until you get it done.
    Also I didn't have to pay fees as I was classified as a European student and qualified for a sizable grant aswell - I presume that would still be the case but I heard the grant has been reduced in recent years. There are several excellent colleges for the PGCE in Wales and Scotland aswell.

Advertisement