Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info please!

Options
  • 05-01-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I need a bit pointing in the right direction!

I qualified as an electrician last year and I'm looking to head to oz but would like to organise my WA electrical licence before I go and a full time job if possible, what are my options or where could I get info on both?

Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

HI Jimmyd87.

You can get the process started before you go - get the right documents pulled together while you are still here but you need to lodge the license application when you are physically in Australia. We normally lodge the application the same day that you are leaving Ireland.
    It takes a few weeks before the ARTC applciation is approved.

You then apply for the license from the state board. You will get a temporary license initially allowing you to work under an Australian licensed electrican. To get a permanent license, you need to sit the theory and practical test.

The level of the license obtained will depend on the amount oif work experience you have.

You may consider working on a temporary license or doing something else - a driver / labourer while waiting for your permanent license to come through. Having the permanent license will seriously affect your salary.

In our experience, the job as an electrician will be hard to come by unless you have the license so make sure that you have some funds to tied you over. We got different employers apporved as sponsors who are looking for electricians but I believe that they need people with more than one years experience.

Keep an eye on Gumtree for jobs.
    Hope this helps.

Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jimmyd87

Thanks v much for the info lad, its difficult to know whats what!

Thanks again
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

No hassle James.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jimmyd87

Right, looked over all the criteria for the artc application and now I'm really confused, do they really want all that detailed paper work of your work experience, dates and times of particular jobs done during your apprenticeship?? (2.6.6-2.7 Applicant Guidelines RTF)

Truefully I'm not sure my employer would have retained that much info.
    I understand having to produce evidence of qualifications and a description of general experience through references etc. but looking for information on particular tasks personally performed years back in some cases, seriously!!

Am I reading into this to much or is this going to be as tidious as it looks?
    Where could one get a few pointers on how to tackle this?

Help needed big time!:mad:

Advertisement