Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Fat Boy Run - The lazy mans guide to Ironman and Marathon training.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Easy 5km recovery run last night.

Today was a glorious day, and anyone with any hope of doing an IM this year was out on their bike........so off I went for my first 'training' ride in so long I can't remember. It's been a while since I've seen so much lard packed into so little Lycra

60km over an undulating route holding 28.9kph average. Felt good, but a while to go before I get into any fit state to tackle a 180. I don't have to make up my mind for a few weeks yet so we'll see how it goes. One useful lesson learned today was I need to undertake some serious manscaping ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

griffin100 wrote: »
    Easy 5km recovery run last night.

Today was a glorious day, and anyone with any hope of doing an IM this year was out on their bike........so off I went for my first 'training' ride in so long I can't remember. It's been a while since I've seen so much lard packed into so little Lycra

60km over an undulating route holding 28.9kph average. Felt good, but a while to go before I get into any fit state to tackle a 180. I don't have to make up my mind for a few weeks yet so we'll see how it goes. One useful lesson learned today was I need to undertake some serious manscaping ;)

It's that furry arse, isn't it?? ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    It's that furry arse, isn't it?? ;)

You seem to have a bit of a fixation with my ass. That's alright though, you aint the first :cool: (pictures can be supplied on request :pac:)

Sunday was my longest run a a while, 16kms with the first 10km @ 5.30 min/km pace; then 2km @ 4.30 pace / 1km @ 5.30 / 2km @ 4.30 / 1km @ 5.30. I hurt more yesterday than I should have :rolleyes:

Todays swim:
    400m wu
    100m x 5 kick with fins off 2.05, in on 1.45-50.
    100m cathup / 100m balance / 100m single arm drills x 2
    300m - 200m - 100m off 1.50 per 100m x 2 (one minute rest between sets)
    300m cd
    Total 3,000m

A couple of short swims yesterday and today.

Yesterday 1,000m straigh at the pace I would plan to swim a 5km or so OW swim in, done in exactly 19mins.

Today 100 x 10 off 2mins, moderate effort, all in on 1.39/40. Happy with that as it's some improvement. Getting a better feel for the water.

Short run last night of 1km easy / 4km @ 4.20 pace / 1km easy.

5k run TT with the club tonight if I can make it. It's on a grass track so wont be as fast as the road, I'm hoping to hold around 4.10 pace for a sub 21min 5km.

Dis the 5km TT last night and it was laughable. It was a handicapped race, so we set off at intervals based on estimated 5km times which the handicapper plucked outta his arse :pac: First to cross the line wins. There were no fast runners so I set off second last with one lad behind me. This meant I got to chase after some of the atractive club ladies ;) First two km's were waaaay too fast, I blew up completely and crawled the last km. 5km in 21.20 :o Thats an average pace of 4.16 per km, when the night before I ran 4km @ 4.20 easily :confused: Oh well, back to the drawing board. At least my club handicap will be a bit better next time.

With Beginnish Island Swim in mind a simple 4km straight swim today. Thats the longest continious pool swim I've ever done. I set off at an very easy pace which I tried to maintain. Every so often I'd loose focus and have to speed up a bit to get back into a rhythm (I tend to loose concentration if I'm swimming slowly). Felt ok until about 3,400m when it started to get hard to concentrate. My left arm reach really shortened when I got tired and I got some calf cramp at around 3,700m but nothing too bad.

First 1,000m @ 19.10 (avg 1.55 per 100m)
    Second 1,000m @ 19.45 (avg 1.58 per 100m)
    Third 1,000m @ 19.35 (avg 1.57 per 100m)
    Fourth 1,000m @ 19.55 (avg 2.00 per 100m)
    Total 4,000m in 1.18.25 (avg 1.57 per 100m)

I hit the 3,800m mark in 1.14.30 - I think this is my fastest ever pool IM distance swim and it's the first time I've done it in a 50m pool. I would hope to be a good bit quicker in OW in a wetsuit and pushing the effort on a bit.

Glad to get that session done. If I can get to a straight 5km swim in the pool sometime in June I'll be very happy.

• Advertisement

An actual turbo session on Saturday :eek: 1hr of 5 mins steady / 5 mins big gear pushing hard. Watched the first hour of this during the session - it's one of my favorite movies but I'm not sure subtitles and turbo go together. Anyway it made the hr pass very quickly.

Sunday did 16km run at an easy pace - 5.40 per km. This hurt more than it should have, with my abdomen being really sore. Trying to work out if this was DOMS due to the turbo and long swim in the days before, or the massive expansion stress I put my stomach muscles the night before by eating vast quantities of pizza and drinking liters of Peronni :P

Did a short swim today, 100 x 2 easy / 400m TT / 100m easy. 400TT came in on 6.50 - pants. I was hoping to go under 6.40. Splits were 1.30 / 1.45 / 1.50 / 1.45. Not good :mad:

Saturday night was the Carlow County Community Games Swimming. Had the two older kids swimming in the U10 Boys 25m front crawl and the U12 Girls 50m back stroke. The way the kids birthdays fall mean that they were in events with kids over a year older than them who swim before school and in swim clubs. Despite that in the boys the little chap got a silver, just behind the winner and miles ahead of the third place. The winner in his heat stood a full head above my lad and started off the blocks, whereas everyone else dived from the deck. A great result but he was still a bit disappointed about not winning. In the girls we were a bit worried, my daughter has been concentrating on backstroke in her lessons all year and was sure she was going to get a medal, she would be really disappointed if she didn't podium. In her age group the gaps were even more obvious - some of the girls were literally head and shoulders above her. We weren't confident, but she managed a second place beating much bigger girls. A brilliant result for her and I was overjoyed for her - she tends to get overshadowed in these type of events by her brother but not tonight. Two silver medals is a great result, it gives the kids the confidence to keep up their swimming and as they didn't win they dont get to go to the national finals, were they would be really struggling against real quality swimmers, possibly to the detriment of their confidence. I was a prond dad on Saturday :)

Short swim today. 400m x 4 off 8 mins. Pushed a bit on these and they came in around 7.05-7.10. I'm starting to 'feel' the water a bit better but my overall fitness is still poor. I was tired at the end.

40 min turbo tonight - 15mins steady / 1 min out of saddle with big gear + 30 secs easy x 5 / 7 mins steady / 1 min out of saddle with big gear + 30 secs easy x 5 / 3 mins cool down.

Tried to get into my wetsuit this evening. I just about managed it. I look heavily pregnant in it and I suspect given how tight it is around the neck it's going to give me some serious wetsuit burn - but it closed which means I'm off to Bray tomorrow for the aquathon - this will be my first ow swim since last September, and my only one before the 4km Killiney Beach swim this Sunday :P :eek:

^^^ You and Izoard crack me up with your "casual" training approaches - god bless your pea pickin' little hearts. Good luck to you and your wetsuit tomorrow!!! :D

I survived the first ow swim of the year at the Bray Aquathon last night. I found the water very cold for the first few minutes and my hands and face were freezing. Did the swim in 14mins, I was taking it steady and certainly didn't push like I normally would in a short swim (I was afraid of having a heart attack if I did coz I was so cold :pac:); went very wide between buoys as advised by the canoeists to take advantage of the current but not sure if that helped. I came out somewhere in the top third of the field. Run was a steady enough 21mins, I've forgotten how hard it is to run up Bray Head. Finished in 37mins and change, the exact same time as when I last did this race two years ago - this time my swim was one minute faster but my run was one minute slower. Well organised race as always from Wicklow Tri Club. Roll on the 4km swim in Sunday :D

Just a short swim today to loosen the legs up. I'm surprisingly stiff and sore after last night.
    300m wu
    100m x 5 kick with fins easy
    100m catch up
    200m cd
    Total 1,100m

In other news the boot of my car and in particular my swim bag seems to have become infested with ants.....probably attracted by the couple of squashed gels in the bottom of the bag. Flicking the ants off my togs as I put them on was a new experience. I spent the entire swim feeling imaginary bites and ants crawling over my body :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Be careful - with all that hair down there you might never get rid of them

Ants in your pants?? Oh god...I always thiink of this guy with that imagery...

Swim at lunch time today. 100m x 20 steady off 2mins in on 1.45-47 for all. 4km sea swim on Sunday should be no bother ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Swim at lunch time today. 100m x 20 steady off 2mins in on 1.45-47 for all. 4km sea swim on Sunday should be no bother ;)

Sure you'll smash that pace in a wetsuit;) Best of luck!

Killiney 4km Swim
    So I survived my second ow swim of the year on Sunday, this one at 4km being a bit further than my first one 4 days earlier :D

It was a glorious day for a swim on Sunday. It was warm and the sea at Killiney was as flat as it gets. I was hoping to try and do the 4km in under 1.14 as this would equate to an average pace of 1.50 per 100m which would be around my target time for an IM swim. With sea swims though it's impossible to predict as tides and sighting lines can play a big part.

Course was a large rectangle to be completed twice. Water was cool but not cold so no brain freeze starting off. Field of just under 100. At the start I still hadn't decided whether or not to take it easy the whole way around or try and push the pace.

Somehow I ended up starting from the back of the pack so the first 100m was a bit crowded but it opened out quickly. I held a steady pace for the first outward 900m. At the first turn I realised there was a big group about 50m ahead of me so I pushed hard to try and get to them over the next 1km but I could only catch couple of stragglers and I lost sight of them coming into the 2km turn. I kept up the hard effort into the 3rd km but at this stage I could only see one other swimmer inside of me. This km seemed to go on for an age and despite pushing hard I seemed to be moving slowly enough. Finally got into the final km and managed to catch up to the back of another swimmer who I drafted behind. He stopped suddenly so I had to and then realised he had drifted off course. I spotted the buoy and shouted at him and headed on (he took a different line and was last seen heading for the wrong buoy). I really pushed the pace on here as there was a following tide. In this last km I started to get really bad cramp in my left leg. I'd had cramps in my calves for a bit but nothing I couldn't deal with - this was different. My entire left leg from foot to hip seemed to cramp up. Hit the final turn and headed into the shore. I could see no other swimmers. As I stood to get out my left leg gave way and I dropped to my knees just as a large wave washed over me so I got to inhale and swallow a huge amount of salt water. Standing up to walk out I allowed one of the marshals to hold me steady on my feet as I couldn't feel my left leg.

I finished in 1.16.xx. A bit slower than I had hoped for at 1.55 per 100m but these things are never completely accurate in a sea swim and certainly tides had a part to play over the third km (swimming into the tide) and the fourth km (tide assisted). I was the 33rd swimmer home from 96 finishers so I'm going to call that finishing in the top third of the field:D

Overall I'm happy with that as it's only my second ow swim of the year and I don't think I'm swimming as well as this time last year. I was happy with my sighting which was as straight as it's ever been and the fact that I put in a steady effort over the 4km as opposed to just ambling along. As I stood up on the hill getting changed I could see some swimmers still on their 3rd km struggling against the increasing tide - it's amazing how small a lone swimmer looks on a 2km course.

Beginnish Island swim is my ultimate aim this summer but I'm not sure how that will work out. I wont be taking that on until I do some more ow time in rougher seas.

Monday night steady 10km at 5min / km pace.

Yesterday had to cut the swim short as I forgot my earplugs and couldn't relax as I felt the water moving in and out of my already banjaxed ears. I haven't swam without earplugs in 4 years.
    400m wu
    100m x 5 kick with fins easy
    100 catch up
    100 cd
    Total 1,100m

Short run in the heat last night - 5km @ HM pace - 4.25min / km.

Another short but nice swim today.
    750m moderate to hard effort
    50m recovery
    100 x 3 off 1.50 - in on between 1.33-35 for each
    90 secs rest
    100 x 3 off 1.50 in on 1.35-37 for each
    90 secs rest
    100 x 3 all in around 1.35 but with a minutes rest between each
    Total 1,700m
    The 750m was below race pace effort so was delighted to finish it in 13.20mins. Also for once the pace was constant for the whole distance. Was also happy with the 9 x 100m's all in around the 1.35, even if the last set ended up having to be broken up with longer intervals. I'd like to do a session like this in a 25m pool for comparison.

Given the heat this week I'm dying to get to Wicklow Harbour after work but there's a really large sore wetsuit burn on the back of my neck from Sunday that means I can't wear a wetsuit for a few more days yet. I was putting sun cream on last night for my run and I sprayed some on the burn...............sweet jaysus I'd say Dory heard my screams from across the Atlantic :eek:

Yesterday 10km @ 5min / km pace. I misjudged the heat and wore a sleeveless gillet :rolleyes:, I was so hot when I finished I almost started puking.

Ironman tester swim set today. Total 3,800m with a IM prediction time of 1.11.14 - thats 40 secs slower than when I did the same set in March :confused:

Friday evening and a quick 45min turbo session - 5min pushing a big gear whilst down on the tri bars / 3 mins steady x 5.

Nothing done over the weekend. My annual two days at the Carlow Community games which consisted of the usual eating of chip van burgers, candy floss and watching the kids run (only a solitary relay bronze brought home this year) took precedence over training.

Swim earlier today:
    400m wu
    100 x 5 kick with fins
    100 fs with fins
    100 balance / 100 catch up x 2
    100m x 6 hard off 2.30 in on 1.33-35 for each
    100m cd
    Total 2,100m

Very happy with the hard 100m's even with the longer rest interval. It would be nice to get a set like this with the 100m's coming in under 1.30 - maybe in a short course pool?

Evening run of 1km@5km race pace / 400m recovery x 5. Walked a lot of the 400m recoveries, heat was a killer.

Short swim today. 1,000m steady in 18.55; 200m easy. Not sure if these short sessions do me any good but it's nice to be in the water.

Evening run - 8km@5min/km pace.

Short swim today. 1,000m steady in 18.55; 200m easy. Not sure if these short sessions do me any good but it's nice to be in the water.

Trust me, they do. :)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Trust me, they do. :)

That's good to know :)

Yesterday 8km run at lunchtime @ 5.10min/km pace.

Today and possibly the worst swim I've had in a very long time. I didn't have any particular plan getting in which is always a bad start so I decided on 200m x 10 repeats or so. Stared off badly and went downhill. I was tired, my stroke was poor, the more I tried to get the stroke right the worse it got........I gave up after 5 reps. I was hitting 3.50 per 200m by the time of the last rep. Total 1,100m of confidence denting swimming :(

Friday evening and swollen lymp glands in the neck and ear ache pointed towards yet another ear infection and perhaps an explanation for my poor swimming earlier in the day.

Saturday was in a lot of pain with my ear but said fcuk it and did a turbo. 90 mins as 10 mins steady / (5 mins big gear on tri bars / 3 mins steady) x 6 / (90 secs out of saddle pushing big gear / 90 secs easy spin) x 10. No science to this, just a way of making the 90mins pass more quickly.

Today 20kms run @ 5.20 min/km pace. Ear feels much better today :).

I was determined to get a decent swim in today after last Friday's disaster - not bothered about pace, just wanted to get a long set done. I was a bit ropey at the start (I had a claustrophobic episode in the first few minutes and wanted to get out :confused:) but I settled down after that. Did 1,000m x 3 with a minutes rest between each and then straight into 500 x 3 with a minutes rest between each. Total 4,500m - my longest ever pool session. I was holding an easy pace and the sets came in at 19.20 / 19.55 / 19.52 for the 1,000m's; 9.52 / 10.00 / 10.40 for the 500m's. I was happy enough with the 1,000's and the first 2 x 500's where I was holding close to 2min/100m pace- the last 500 was a slog with no form at all, just splashing up and down and averaged 2.08 per 100m. I think when you get to that level of tiredness it's doing you no good fitness or technique wise (hence I didn't try for the 5km). Happy to get 4,500m done all the same.

East 6km run last night, 5.30km pace.

10km run today in serious heat - I was suffering. (1km @ 5.30min/km / 1km @ 4.30min/km HMP) x 5.

Had a look at the SBR totals for the first 6 months of the year.
    Total Swim 126.23kms
    Total Bike 220.5kms
    Total Run 823.5kms

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

are you counting on them cancelling the bike leg or something? :)

mossym wrote: »
    are you counting on them cancelling the bike leg or something? :)

Meh, cycling is overrated anyway :P

Wednesday: short swim of 400m wu / 100m x 5 kick / 200m cd (total 1,100m) and in the evening a 1hr turbo as 10min moderate effort / 5 mins steady x 4

Thursday 10km run steady @ 5.20min/km.

Today 2,100m swim. 100m x 20 off 2mins (+ 100m cd). The 100's all came in between 1.39-41 off a steady effort so I'm really happy with that. My feel for the water is much improved.

Up at 6am this morning for a training session but not for me, for my kids :eek: The two older guys were offered a place in an early morning session with their usual coach - 7am on a Friday for a steady hr of swimming - and that's exactly what they got. They covered well over a 1,000m in the hour, they were snoozing on the couch by lunchtime according to the wife. I always said I wouldn't be one of those parents who made their kids go to early morning swim sessions but it's their choice so I'll support them until they get bored of it. That said they're rearing to go again next week.

Friday evening turbo. 1hr as 14mins @ steady effort / 1 min easy x 4

Saturday and my first proper controlled pace LSR in a long time, 22kms @ 5.30 min/km pace. I wanted to hit two hrs for the run so happy with that.

Sunday 2hr turbo :eek: Done as 10mins steady / (5 mins big gear on the TT bars + 3 mins steady) x 6 / (90 secs out of the saddle pushing hard + 90 secs spin) x 10 / 30 mins steady effort. As I've said before there's no science to my turbo sessions, I'm trying to keep the effort up and mimic road riding as opposed to simply spinning the pedals which is what I used to do. Happy to get a 2hr session in.

Not a bad week overall, my first 10hr week in a couple of years.
    Swim: 7,700m / 2.35hrs
    Run: 48kms / 4.15hrs
    Bike 100kms / 4hrs turbo
    Total 10.40hrs

Nice swim today.
    400m wu
    100m x 10 kick easy with fins, 10secs between repeats (yes that's 1,000m of kicking :eek:)
    100m fc steady / 100m catchup / 100m balance / 100 scull x 2
    50m x 6 steady
    Total 2,500m

I was getting the 50m repeats in around 43-44 secs, so delighted with that. I would love to be able to do a set of 100m repeats coming in sub 1.30. I seem to be swimming well (relatively speaking) at the minute so I should do a 400m TT soon....but then again that might tell me I'm not swimming well :pac:

• Advertisement

Second training session on Tuesday was some run intervals. 1km wu / 1500m @ 5km race pace + 500m recovery x 4. Total 9km. The 1,500m intervals all came in between 6mins and 6.05mins so not too bad for me.

Wednesday lunchtime easy run, 10km @ 5.20min/km pace. Felt very hard.

Wednesday evening turbo. 15mins steady / (3mins hard + 2 mins easy) x 9 / 15 mins steady. Total 1.15hrs. My 'hard' bits alternated between 3 mins out of the saddle pushing a big gear and 3 mins sitting and mashing the biggest gear I could get on the turbo at a ridiculously low cadence :D Jesus these hurt. Legs felt very tired.

Swim today. 100m/200m/300m/400m off 2mins per 100m. These felt very labored and I was very tired. Tool a couple of minutes break and then did 100m x 10 with 45 secs between repeats - these felt better and were coming in around 1.40 pace. Total 2,000m

The recent increase in training volume has me very tired at the minute......and very hungry. Hopefully a corresponding weight reduction will happen :pac:

Advertisement