Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Fat Boy Run - The lazy mans guide to Ironman and Marathon training.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Friday morning and the kids were back at their 7am swim session so this time I took the chance to get a short session in.
    400m wu
    100m x 4 off 1.55 all in around 1.40-45
    100m x 4 off 1.50 all in around 1.40-42
    100m x 4 off 1.45 all in around 1.36-38
    100m x 3 off 1.40 in on 1.36, 1.40 and then the last one I was well off the interval time
    100m cd
    Total 2,000m

There was a minutes rest between each set and I didn't quite make the last repeat off 1.40 but I was happy enough with that considering I felt sluggish in the water and my form was poor - dropping my left arm and not catching properly with my right hand a lot of the time.

Friday evening simple turbo, solid hour of steady effort.

Due to family stuff it was a struggle to get my long sessions in over the weekend but I managed.

Long turbo: 2.5hrs done as 30 minutes steady effort / (8 mins hard+2 mins easy) x 6 / 15 mins steady effort / (3 mins big gear+2 easy) x 6 / 15 mins steady effort. Felt ok, time passes quickly enough when you have a dvd on the background (in this case Sex In The City Series 5 :pac:) and you split the session up.

Long Run: this was a salutary lesson in how far apart my actual fitness and my assumed fitness are. Plan was 1km wu / 10km @ HMP (4.30mins/km) / 10km easy 5.30/mins/km: Total 21km in approx. 1.45hrs. It went nothing like that. It actually went 1km wu / 10km in 47mins / 10km in 1.03:eek::eek:: total 21kms in approx. 1.56. Not good, the last 5km were averaging 6.30 pace. I was in a bad way but I kept going so at least that was something. This session hurt, a lot!!

Total for the week:
    Swim 6,500m / 2.10hrs
    Run 40kms / 3.35hrs
    Bike 115km / 4.45hrs turbo
    Total 10.30hrs

I had hoped to get to over 11hrs but I missed a 45min tempo run, oh well, cant be helped. At least I've dropped another couple of pounds this week :)

This will be a tough week training wise, there will be little or no swimming and I'll be trying to squeeze in some runs and turbo between family stuff. Given how my legs feel today an easier week might not be a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi Griffin! :) When and what is your next (big?) event??

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi Griffin! :) When and what is your next (big?) event??

My next race is a half marathon I agreed to run with my sister in law in early August. I won't be in PB shape for it but if I can get in under 1.40 I'll be happy enough with that. There's a 6km swim in October I think I'll probably do. Oh and between these two I'm probably going to have a go at an Ironman off 8 weeks training on August 23rd, subject to being happy I can get around ;)

So I broke my Breaking Bad duck this week and watched the first two episodes during a 2hr turbo. It's bloody good!! 2hrs broken down as 30mins steady effort / 8mins hard+2mins easy x 3 - done twice. Legs felt a bit rubbery at the end. I'm hoping that these sessions are at least as hard as a similar length session on the road:rolleyes:

Nice easy recovery run this evening. 16kms @ 5.25min/km pace. Hot and sticky but enjoyable.

griffin100 wrote: »
    My next race is a half marathon I agreed to run with my sister in law in early August. I won't be in PB shape for it but if I can get in under 1.40 I'll be happy enough with that. There's a 6km swim in October I think I'll probably do. Oh and between these two I'm probably going to have a go at an Ironman off 8 weeks training on August 23rd, subject to being happy I can get around ;)

:eek::eek::eek:

8 weeks training?? Only 8 weeks training? :eek:

Oh, wait...this is griffin I'm talking to. Are you sure you won't be overtrained?? ;)

8 weeks training?? Only 8 weeks training? :eek:

Oh, wait...this is griffin I'm talking to. Are you sure you won't be overtrained?? ;)

:D

8 weeks training maybe, but my swim is fine so it's mostly about getting some bike hours in and trying to get a couple of longer runs of around 30kms / 18 miles or so. I'm under no illusions, this is going to hurt, especially the second half of the bike and run, but I'm not chasing any time. I'm going to be taking a full day to enjoy the Kerry scenery at a leisurely pace.

Another turbo today - 90mins. 60 mins steady / 90 secs out of saddle hard+90 secs easy x 10. This hurt quite a bit, my legs were sore. I had hoped to push it out to 2hrs but copped out after 90mins.

• Advertisement

Last Saturday was a nice LSR - 23kms / 2.15hrs at 5.30ish pace. Felt ok but the legs hurt afterwards. So much in fact that I couldn't manage a long turbo on Sunday - 45mins of easy spinning was enough to leave me shattered. I think I need to swap my long turbo to Saturday and my run to Sunday. Left me with a poor enough week .

Swim - 0
    Run - 3.45hrs / 39kms
    Bike - 4.15 / 108kms
    Total 8hrs:(

This week:
    Monday - 1,000m swim of easy 100;s
    Tuesday - 10km run @ 5.20km pace
    Wednesday - 1hr turbo @ around OD race effort
    Thursday - Swim; 2,500m (1,000m x 2 / 100m x 5). The 1,000s were 19 and 20 mins exact; the 100's in around 1.40ish. 5km run in 25mins in the evening in about 27 degrees and I nearly died.
    Friday - Swim this morning whilst the kids were getting their session in. Same as last time - 2,000m as 400m wu / 100m x 4 off 1.55/1.50/1.45/1.40 with a minute between each set. Once again didn't quite make the last 100m off 1.40. I was swimming in the lane beside the kids and even at 1.40 per 100m pace was struggling to keep up with the 9 and 10 year olds :eek: As I was getting out a slightly older girl (maybe 13-14) got in and proceeded to do 100m repeats on 1.15 (I timed her!). Jesus it makes you feel old and slow.

Saturday and my longest ever turbo. 3hrs. Broken down as 1hr steady / 5 mins spin / (8mins hard effort on TT bars + 2 mins steady) x 6 / 5 mins spin / (90 secs big gear + 90 secs recovery) x 10 / 20 mins steady. Got through the whole of the first movie of LOTR's. Drank about 3 litres of water and ate on small banana. I'm hoping to get onto the road next week so we'll see how the hard turbo sessions translate.

Sunday was supposed to be my LSR but a very sick 3 year old was glued to Daddy all day so I didn't get out. Instead I did it last night after work. LSR's are hard enough without doing them after a day in work :rolleyes: 27kms in 2.35hrs, average pace of 5.48 mins / km, so a very slow run. I suffered over the last 2kms so that's not a good sign. I now remember why I don't do marathons anymore, I hate LSR's. Anything over 2hrs running is just too long :pac:

So totals for last week:
    Swim: 5,500m / 1.50hrs
    Run: 42kms / 3.55hrs
    Bike: 125kms / 5hrs
    Total: 10.50hrs. Not too bad.

Long swim today, the IM tester set that I like.
    400 x 4 - 30 secs rest between
    300 x 4 - 20 secs rest between
    200 x 4 - 10 secs rest between
    50 x 4 - 5 secs rest between
    Total 3,800m - predicted IM swim = time total time minus 4.15.

Predicted IM swim time of 1.15.05 - absolute sh1te. I'm really starting to see the loss of swim endurance and some technique due to a lack of swimming over the last few weeks. I had hoped to go under 1.10 for the IM swim this year but now I'd take a PB (sub 1.16) :rolleyes:

Easy 10km run last night at 5.25min/km pace.

Swim today: 2.200m
    400m wu
    100m x 4 kick with fins off 2.10
    100m balance
    100m catch up
    100m x 10 off 1.50. All in on around 1.40 except for the last couple off a moderate to hard effort. First time I've done this many 100m repeats off this time - need to do more sets like this. I've a tendency to take too long for my intervals.

It's August 1st today, exactly 4 years to the day since my first Iron Man. Og how naive I was then.........

Hi Griffin!! :D

<cue the perky-happy-cheesy music, confetti, and balloons>

Congratulations! You are the lucky winner of a free entry at the normal cost less any discount available into a 10k swim that is taking place somewhere in Ireland in the next few weeks....or so. It's the one that Kurt is doing. I think he said he registered you already. And that the swag bag for doing the swim includes a nice pair of togs (new), a pair of Oakley sunglasses (polarized), a tube of zinc oxide, a swim cap, and keys to a Mercedes. It is entirely possible that I may have gotten some of my facts confused, but I think I've got most of that correct. Oh, and I hear their food tent will have much better cakes than the one at the IM. ;)

• Advertisement

Hi Griffin!! :D

<cue the perky-happy-cheesy music, confetti, and balloons>

Congratulations! You are the lucky winner of a free entry at the normal cost less any discount available into a 10k swim that is taking place somewhere in Ireland in the next few weeks....or so. It's the one that Kurt is doing. I think he said he registered you already. And that the swag bag for doing the swim includes a nice pair of togs (new), a pair of Oakley sunglasses (polarized), a tube of zinc oxide, a swim cap, and keys to a Mercedes. It is entirely possible that I may have gotten some of my facts confused, but I think I've got most of that correct. Oh, and I hear their food tent will have much better cakes than the one at the IM. ;)

You forgot the dancing girls, that would have swung it for me ;)

Nothing done over the weekend, except for a lot of good red wine drank. My wife's sister and her husband were home from Zurich, they're loaded and only drink expensive wines so brought lots with them :pac:

On Monday I did the Rock and Roll Half Marathon. I don't normally do these large corporate type events (notwithstanding the fact I have done an IM branded event :rolleyes:) but I agreed months ago to do it with the sister in law. I've done no proper speed work in weeks so with a 1.34 pb I decided I'd aim for a 1.40 target pace. The route was testing enough but I managed to hold a pretty steady 4.41 min/km pace for the 21kms which got me to just under 1.39, but the course was slightly long at 21.4kms according to my Garmin so I ended up taking 1.40.25 to finish. I was pretty comfortable the whole way apart from the last couple of kms. I plan later this year to give a sub 1.30 a good go.

Overall last weeks totals were nothing to celebrate, circa. 6hrs, but I was using it as a step back week in my 8 week IM training programme :D

Only 3 weeks to race day. My loose plan is to get a 30km / 3hr run in this weekend and taper my run over the last two weeks. Between now and 7-8 days out from the race I want to try and get 3 or 4 3hr turbos / 4hr+ road rides in. Nowhere near enough but it is what it is. Swim wise the distance is no problem but my swimming this year has been poor and its showing. I'll keep plodding along with my usual sessions and try and get into the pool as often as possible.

We're talking a FULL IM, right?? 140.6? 3 weeks? Good god I'd be freaking out right now. I cannot wait for this race report. Or maybe I should wait until after my first IM to read it. :eek:

We're talking a FULL IM, right?? 140.6? 3 weeks? Good god I'd be freaking out right now. I cannot wait for this race report. Or maybe I should wait until after my first IM to read it. :eek:

Yeah a full IM. It's the same one I've done twice already. This time around the family are coming to Kerry so it'll be squeezed into the middle of a family holiday :D

Freaking out isn't going to do me any good at this stage :D I've said it before, I don't fear this distance, I respect it. I have always been of the belief that a plodded IM at 13-14hrs pace is no different to anyone in a hard manual job doing a double shift. Yes it'll hurt, but it wont last forever and I'm there by choice. Before my Dad retired he was what's now known as a paramedic. He often did 16hr shifts, that's 16hrs of stressful, hard work - that is much harder than a slow IM in my book.

Anyhow, back to training.....

2,000m swim yesterday. 100m x 20 off 2 mins easy pace. The last few of these drifted out from 1.50 to 1.55, I was tired.

About a year ago I went to a talk organised by the club at which this guy gave a presentation. He gave a fantastic presentation and q&a afterwards and I remembered he mentioned that a useful short session for him was a 1hr turbo all out. Last night I did a variation of this - 14mins very hard (all out????) / 1 min rest x 4. Total 1hr. I suffered on the last repeat in a way I've never suffered on a turbo before. I was glad to see the watch hit the hr.

Friday evening and a nice easy 10km run.

Saturday I planned a bike ride subject to weather conditions. This would be my third bike ride of the year, 3 weeks out from an IM :P The plan was to do something around 4hrs over a non hilly route just to see how the legs and ass felt. The weather was dry but windy so off I went. I cycled into Carlow and out to Kilkenny in the new bike lane and back again. Covered 127kms @ an average speed of just over 29kph for just under 4.30hrs in the saddle. The route was pretty flat and the day was windy so it was hard to measure the effort. Kms 25-65 and 100-20 were into a stiff headwind, but kms 65-100 were with the wind at my back so speed was recovered. Overall I'm happy with that. I did it at a slightly harder effort than I plan on for the IM and other than some ass soreness and neck stiffness from the TT position there were no real issues. My legs felt fine - perhaps my unscientific turbo sessions are paying off. I also did it on a single bottle of water and no food (I had gels in my pocket but I wanted to see how I'd fair with no food other than breakfast before the ride). I think I could have gone another 50km with some refueling, time will tell.

I had planned on doing a final 30km run today but now I'm not so sure. I don't think I'll get any real benefit from doing a run this long less than two weeks out from the race. I reckon a couple of 2hr easy runs will give me more benefit. I do plan on another 1-2 decent bike rides / turbos. A big problem is swimming though. It's non existent at the minute and I am off work from tomorrow until after the IM so wont be near the 50m pool. I will have to try and get a few sessions done in the Carlow 25m pool and hope they stand to me - and I had such high hopes of going sub 1.10 in my next IM swim :rolleyes:

Easy 10km run last night.

Swim today, bit of a mixed bag.
    400m wu
    100m x 4 kick with fins wasy
    100m catch up drill
    100m balance drill
    100m x 10 off 1.50 (didn't quite make the last one on time :rolleyes:)
    100m x 4 off 2
    100m x 3 kick with fins easy
    100m x 3 cd
    Total 3,000m

What's rare is wounderfull .............. a brick session of all things. Something I haven't done in years. I don't need a brick session to tell me what my legs feel like running off the bike, but I had time today so did one.

40km bike @ 28kph - very windy, windy enough for a few frights when passing open gates.
    10 run @ 5.18min/km pace
    Total 2.15hrs

Enjoyed it - just about a quarter of an IM brick :)

This weekend last year I was doing the Tour De Frank, a two day cycle from Bunclody to Omagh. It was in memory of a club mate killed that previous February, Martin. For various reasons I couldn't do the second day and that's bothered me ever since. Just before the cycle Martin's wife put up a touching and deeply personal post about Martin on the club website. One thing that stood out for me was when she spoke about his attitude to racing. He could never understand why someone wouldn't want to race, why they wouldn't want to be out there competing against other racers, their clubmates or just themselves. So this Saturday for me is about finishing Day 2 of the Tour De Frank and is also about getting out there and racing, irrespective of what shape I'm in or how far off a PB I might be. I'll be wearing the jersey from the two day cycle that I only got to wear for one day last year and I'll be thinking of how lucky I am to be able to suffer when the pain kicks in, and it will!!

Couple of short sessions this week. Swimming feels poor, bike is an unknown and I've barely done a decent LSR. Bags are packed and Kerry awaits. I don't know if I'm excited or terrified about this. IM take 4 begins.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

The very best of luck griffin.

Make sure you get that IM training book out in time for the Christmas market:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Saturday I planned a bike ride subject to weather conditions. This would be my third bike ride of the year, 3 weeks out from an IM Covered 127kms @ an average speed of just over 29kph for just under 4.30hrs in the saddle.

This disgusts me - with all my bike training this year I would bite your hand off if I was offered that average speed for 127k

I thought long and hard about doing the Hardman myself this year but I did Connemara as my first marathon so I wanted something with a bit of razzmatazz for the first one so I settled for Kenmare and a European trip next year

Best of luck this weekend, lovely part of the country for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Enjoy Saturday a 3 time hardman. Not many of them out there

• Advertisement

Hardman 2014 Race Report
    In my seven seasons of triathlon I've only ever dnf'ed once. In the last race of my first season I punctured on the bike and dropped out. At the time I didn't care, I was so happy about finishing the swim and not drowning. Since then I've had a couple of races where I've thought I wanted to drop out - my first IM, DCM 2011, the Lost Sheep last year - but in reality I never came close to doing so in any of them. That was until last Saturday when I attempted my 4th Ironman off an amount of training that was laughable.......

For this race I had done a total of 8 weeks bike 'training' which consisted of 22hrs turbo plus three rides totaling less than 250km on the bike. I had swam 150k this year so not too bad, but had only run about 1,000km over the year and hadn't run further than 27km, 4 weeks out from the race. For the last two weeks before the race I did pretty much nothing.

Friday night was race briefing. I've done this race twice already so nothing new, except for the comment that the race was being run under TI rules but as TI hadn't been able to supply a TO there was no one to enforce the rules :confused: Happy days, bare nipples in T1 for me so :pac:

Up at 4am on Saturday, usual race breakfast and the one hour drive to the race start. My usual pre race set up, livened up a bit when the valve on my front wheel came apart just before race start.......I just managed to find the bits on the ground and reassemble the valve and pump up the wheel.

My third open water swim of the year. Usual two lap affair. Plenty of room so no major kicks or punches received. My stroke felt crap. The wetsuit felt very tight and constricted, probably due to only having worn it twice this year. For the first leg of the swim we had been advised at the briefing to swim into the rising sun as the course marker was impossible to see - great advice, it sent us miles off course :rolleyes: Once the canoeists got us back on course again I relaxed a bit and the stroke got a bit better. Lap two felt a lot better, but I was tiring very quickly and was suffering from severe cramp in my right calf. Clock showed 1.14.xx as I exited the water, slow, but 14th out of the water. The course seemed very long, from speaking with people after the race Garmins were showing 4km+.

Onto the bike. First climb up Molls Gap was no problem. Just took it easy. Conditions were ideal with no wind or rain and a bright sun. I was plodding along ok until we hit the second big climb of Coomachiste. The climb up to the top of this physically broke me. At the top I was spent. This was worrying but I rested on the descent and stopped in Waterville to pick up the feed bag and to meet the family. After Waterville it began to hurt, and this was only at 100km. The lack of training was really starting to show. The next 70kms were a living hell that just got worse. On the drag to Kells I just wanted to get off and lie down. The ground just seemed to take forever to cover. I found myself starting to pull into the hard shoulder and clipping out 'for a quick rest' a couple of times but managed to cop on in time - if I had stopped I'd have never got back on. I was a wreck, I could barely turn the pedals on the drags and spent a lot of time in the small ring. If it had been windy or raining I would definitely have gotten off. I wanted to give up. I prayed for a puncture, or better still a broken chain..............anything to justify stopping. I kept going, tbh I'm not sure how. I've never been as deep in the pain cave and for so long - it's not my thing. After an eternity, otherwise known as 6.46hrs, I entered T2. During the bike I got overtaken by about 25-30 others, and caught no one. There were guys on expensive carbon bikes with fancy wheels and pointy helmets still overtaking me at 120kms - perhaps they should spend a fraction of the cost of their wheels on swimming lessons :pac:

In T2 I decided I'd had enough. As I told myself this I got changed into my running gear. I've done 3 previous IM and had never felt this tired. I had completely underestimated how much the bike would take out of me not having done the training. I had assumed that I would be able to just hit the run at my usual IM run pace.

Despite the pain I headed out on the first of 3 x 14km laps. I physically could not run. I had the phone with me and I called the wife to tell her I was dropping out. She told me to just keep gong and to take my time. After 1km of walking I managed to break into a shuffle. The first lap took 1.35hrs. It's a bit of a blur tbh, I don't remember a whole lot, except that it hurt a lot and I had stomach cramps. At the start of lap two I called the wife to give her an update. I kept going. Lap 2 took 1.55hrs. Near the end of lap two the family appeared to cheer me on. This was a big boost. I had planned that for this race that the kids would run across the finish line with me and that image was what I clung to during lap 1 and 2. It was only when I was on lap 3 I was sure I was going to finish. Lap 3 took 1.55hrs also. The entire marathon had been a living hell of walk, shuffle, walk, shuffle......interspersed with periods of nausea when I was close to crawling. Finally finally I approached the finish line. My 4 kids were waiting for me about 50m from the finish. We ran in together but I couldn't keep up with them. Run time 5.24, my worst marathon time ever.

Overall 13.38hrs, the second slowest of my 4 IM's and 61 minutes slower than the last time I did this race. There were 65 finishers (both individuals and relays) and 5 DNFs, and I came 43rd overall (35th from 51 male finishers). My swim was 14th fastest on the day so happy with that, whilst my run was 43rd fastest. The bike splits are missing from the results but I suspect it was similar to my run placing.

I had fueled well on the day and nutrition wasn't a problem. Lack of training and fatigue were what killed me. The fatigue was both physical and especially mental - I suffered badly for over 8hrs and that's a lot of time to reflect on your life :) I swore I'd never do another IM or long distance event again. Not sure now though.........I've promised the wife a 5 year moratorium on IM's, but a few of the lads from the club are talking about doing this race next year and if they do..........

What's funny is that because I was so tired and took it so easy on the bike and especially the run I've recovered really quickly. The only lasting issue is the knot in my calf due to the cramps I got during the swim. Think I'll take a few days to let the body recover before I get back into the swing of things :)

Great stuff - Right all the way to the back of the pain cave.

You now have me sh1tting myself in advance of Kenmare on Sat...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Think I'll take a few days to let the body recover before I get back into the swing of things :)

:D:D:D:D Swing of what.....training:D:D:D:D

I had seen the results and I had shivered a little when I saw the run and bike times so knew it was a long day for you, well done for finishing it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Skip the years training, and combine all that pain and sweat into a condensed 13 hours, clever man.

Great read Griff, I slurped my coffee and resolved never to do an IM.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Skip the years training, and combine all that pain and sweat into a condensed 13 hours, clever man.

Great read Griff, I slurped my coffee and resolved never to do an IM.

Oh god...is this report above (that I have not read yet) going to be like jackyback's IM fininshing video? Something I shouldn't read with just over 3 weeks until my first IM?? :eek: Deep breath....and here I go....<gulp>

Bless your heart, Griffin. You always make me smile, even when you're hating life and wanting to puke, you seem to put a positive spin on it and it's inspiring in a twisted sort of way. Well done you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I am so happy after reading your report that I am not doing an IM next year!

catweazle wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D Swing of what.....training:D:D:D:D

I had seen the results and I had shivered a little when I saw the run and bike times so knew it was a long day for you, well done for finishing it out.

Bike wasn't too bad considering, 15 minutes slower than last time but in much better conditions. Two years age the middle part of the bike was into the wind. It was the run that really pushed out the time. You're right to to a big European IM rather than this one as your first, they/re completely different beasts. Yon can always do Kerry at a later date.
    You now have me sh1tting myself in advance of Kenmare on Sat...
    Great read Griff, I slurped my coffee and resolved never to do an IM
    I am so happy after reading your report that I am not doing an IM next year!

They're only really hard if you do no training. As Dory will show us when she romps home in her IM debut, training makes all the difference :pac:

They're only really hard if you do no training.

Any fool can do it when trained - the real test is when you are not;)

Roll on Kenmare for my effort with this approach!

• Advertisement

They're only really hard if you do no training. As Dory will show us when she romps home in her IM debut, training makes all the difference :pac:

Oh god! You've just made me choke on my orange juice! Romps?? That's not exactly the operative IM word that swirls in my mind when I'm running in my field on tired legs for nearly 3 hours all by my lonesome. I'm more thinking.....how the f*ck am I going to run a full marathon after being on the bike for 112 miles??? :eek:

Advertisement