Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Fat Boy Run - The lazy mans guide to Ironman and Marathon training.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

catweazle wrote: »
    A 400m in 4.07 is still very impressive swimming - tired or not

****e, that should read 7.50 and 8.07 :)

Thursday
    Had planned to run today but work got in the way and it was late when I got home but not to worry....I had MCOS's squat extravaganza to try......it was tough and sweaty but not too bad. it was certainly preferable to 6 miles in the dark and torrential rain :D

Friday
    Swim
    Back in the pool for more bilateral breathing practice:rolleyes:. I was tired today, and I hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch before the session so I was lacking energy.

1,500m - 200m wu fc / 200m kick / 300m drills (scull and balance) / 50-100-50 x 4 all flat out with 30secs rest between each one. Was feeling tired on these and struggled to hit 51-52 on the 50m and 1.55 on the 100m. Should have done a couple more but knocked it on the head when I started to feel pukey with the hunger.

It's been a while. Did a bit coming up to Christmas, nothing major, just ticking over. Trying to decide on 2013 goals........another IM? some long distance swimming? another marathon?.................and then I got sick. I've been quite ill for over 2 weeks now and I'm only just starting to recover. I'm in work today for an hour for the first time since before Christmas. I've run 33kms and swam 1km this year so far :o I've lost a stone and haven't eaten properly in ages. It's going to be a long road back to full fitness but it's got to be done. On-wards and upwards......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

griffin100 wrote: »
    I've lost a stone and haven't eaten properly in ages. It's going to be a long road back to full fitness but it's got to be done. On-wards and upwards......

Made a lot easier if you can keep that stone off ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

It's been a while. Did a bit coming up to Christmas, nothing major, just ticking over. Trying to decide on 2013 goals........another IM? some long distance swimming? another marathon?.................and then I got sick. I've been quite ill for over 2 weeks now and I'm only just starting to recover. I'm in work today for an hour for the first time since before Christmas. I've run 33kms and swam 1km this year so far :o I've lost a stone and haven't eaten properly in ages. It's going to be a long road back to full fitness but it's got to be done. On-wards and upwards......

So, let me get this right.

You've only ran 33k and swam 1k and currently weigh 1 stone less.........i hate you on many levels:D

• Advertisement

It has been a long time:D

Things have changed in the world of training. A long illness was suffered over Christmas and a warning was received from my doctor that I needed to start slowing down a bit - he seemed to think that a busy job which is only getting busier, a long commute, two masters on the go at the same time and the associated exams and assignments, 4 young kids, lots of training and other bits and pieces gave rise to my body basically throwing in the towel so I've had to start reorganising my hectic schedule :rolleyes:

So for at least the first part of 2013 training is being knocked back a good bit. I'm no longer training with long distance events in mind. Sessions for the foreseeable future will be short and will be about getting back to some level of fitness and having some fun again.

My running volume has dropped hugely and I'm hitting 3-4 runs a week of average 10km. My longest run in 2013 was 13km last weekend. I have to say I'm really enjoying it again.

Swim wise I got back in the pool last week for two swims for the first time in weeks. Since mid December I've only swam three times :eek: I dropped out of Tango's swim sessions with a heavy heart but I just couldn't commit. Again the sessions are short, no more 3,000m sessions for me - the last two sessions were 100m x 10 off 2.30 - nice and easy and a way of easing myself back into swimming. I was delighted to be holding 1.45-1.55 for the repeats last week but I have lost a lot of technique and fitness. It's going to be hard to get it all back but baby steps are the order of the day. If I can get back to two sessions a week of 2,000m and a 400m TT of close to 7 minutes then to be honest I'll be happy.

I've entered my first sprint tri in two years and I'll be breaking out the bike soon. I plan on doing shorter tri's, some of the shorter swims and maybe 5km / 10km road races this year. An IM is certainly not on the cards and if I suggested one I think my wife would kill me - my free pass to IM Switzerland for 2013 has been revoked :D I did enter the Warrior Of The Sea 6km swim in July but at this stage I'm not thinking about it. if I get back to decent swim fitness I might give it a go but we'll have to see.

Seriously this next few months is about allowing my body to have a break. I've done a marathon and an IM in each of the last three years and I think my body needs to have some sort of rest, and turning 40 in a few weeks doesn't help my mood. At least I haven't put back on any of the weight I lost and despite my much reduced training volume I'm at my lightest since my early twenties :D

I really should end this log as I'm no longer that fat (although that is a matter of opinion) nor indeed am I doing a marathon or an IM this year, but I think I'll keep it open and post some bits and pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I hope you enjoy the more relaxed pace of training Griffin and the best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Good idea to focus on the shorter stuff, anyone can go long & slow, it's a whole different challenge going short & fast. Whatever puts a smile on your face, thats what its all about at our level. Get back in the pool and meet up with me and Abhainn for some harbour swims in Wicklow in a few months- I can taste that brine already!;)

I agree a year of shorter stuff might reawaken the fire - I am looking forward to a few sprint races myself in the summer whereas before I was often more worrying about was I doing enough - between the improvements in your swim and the run over the last few years you should be coming in well above a mid packer this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You know what I liked about your post? You sounded happy in it....like you really are enjoying what and how much you are doing right now....and that really is what it's all about. And don't worry about turning 40. 40 is when I came into my own in so many ways. :)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You know what I liked about your post? You sounded happy in it....like you really are enjoying what and how much you are doing right now....and that really is what it's all about. And don't worry about turning 40. 40 is when I came into my own in so many ways. :)

It's taken a few weeks to come to terms with the fact that it's ok not to be doing an IM this year; that an 8km run at lunch time at a gentle pace along the strand is perfectly acceptable and I don't need to be squeezing 10km+ hilly runs into my lunch break; and that not every swim session has to be a couple of thousand meters. And as you say Dory, now I'm enjoying it in a way that I haven't done for a while......and if I don't get a run or a swim in today then so what :D

Dropped into the pool for another of my short sessions at lunch time today:
    200m x 5 off 4.30 in on 3.45; 3.55; 4.00; 4.03; 4.10. You can see the lack of fitness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Don't believe a word of it...this is just an experiment to see if he can do Hardman with zero training....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    anyone can go long & slow,
    ouch:D .....,lucky this is hidden in the swimmin and canoe'n forum or ud have walshy and sour grapes onto it in a flash..but true,dont tell anyone i said dat;)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    ouch:D .....,lucky this is hidden in the swimmin and canoe'n forum or ud have walshy and sour grapes onto it in a flash..but true,dont tell anyone i said dat;)

I decided to let that slide and not take the bait :)

Decided to do a quick test on yesterday, 5 x 1km at 5km race effort with 400m recovery between each one. For me 5km race effort is hard enough that I'm just borderline loosing control of my breathing. Repeats came in on 3.55; 3.58; 4.01; 3.52; 4.08. Tired a bit on number 5 but repeats no. 3 and 5 were almost entirely uphill. Happy with that at this stage and may be a sign that a sub 20min 5km is doable with a bit of work.

Nice 12km run in the lashings of rain today at 4.48 avg pace. Loved every minute of it :).

Another short swim today. After last week's 10 x 100m and 5 x 200m today's swim was a straight 1,000m. In on 20.45. Very happy with this actually considering the low perceived effort. Fitness was again an issue, despite the easy pace the first 400m came in on 8 mins exactly (20 secs quicker than my TT swim two weeks ago :rolleyes:), which meant the last 600m took 12.45 or 2.07 per 100m. I need to start doing drills again I think.

Nice 10km run @ 4.50 pace yesterday down to Sandmount strand and around the park but I didn't see any recognisable boardsies.

1,200 swim today. Again nice and short and simple. 200m x 5 off 4.30 easy pace, in on 3.53; 4.03; 4.05; 4.05; 4.05. Finished with 4 x 50m flat out off 75secs, all in just under the 50sec mark but jesus they hurt event though I only did 4. Starting to feel a bit better in the water so hopefully can start increasing the distances.

Four runs and two swims this week, sounds ok until you look at the overall totals - 40kms run and 2,500m swim. Short and sweet and enjoying it again so not too fussed actually. I would like to try and up the swim totals though.

Did my first swim with drills today. Did them as 25m drill / 25m swim. A real mixed bag.

100m wu / 200m kick / 100m / 200m balance / 100m x 3 / 400m. Total 1,300m.

Last Tuesday I went for a run along the strand in Sandymount, Dublin. It was a lovey day and as I ran out over the sands it got me thinking about the last time I had run in such lovey weather over a beach and I realised that the last time I had done so was May 2010 and the weekend of the Valentia Triathlon.

That weekend only one other club mate was doing that race and our families spent most of the day together. That club mate was Martin Mimnagh. Last Thursday I attended Martin's funeral. As many of you will know Martin was tragically killed in an accident when out on his bike last Monday afternoon.

This is not the place for a eulogy but simply to say that Martin was one of the nicest blokes you could ever wish to meet. He was a gentle giant of a man about whom I never heard anyone say anything negative. One of the club members put up some pictures of Martin online last week and in every one of the 50 odd pictures he is smiling and in many of them is accompanied by his kids. Martin left behind 4 small kids and possibly the hardest thing I have ever witnessed in my life were his kids at his funeral - two too young to know what was happening, two just old enough to understand that their Dad was gone.

Before Martin died he had started to organise a charity cycle event to raise money for Marie Curie and the Irish Hospice Foundation, who I believe had looked after his Dad, who also died recently. This event will now go ahead in both their memories. Preliminary details are here - http://www.facebook.com/OnYerBikeForFrankFromTheSlaneyToTheStrule

RIP Martin.

• Advertisement

Last Tuesday I went for a run along the strand in Sandymount, Dublin. It was a lovey day and as I ran out over the sands it got me thinking about the last time I had run in such lovey weather over a beach and I realised that the last time I had done so was May 2010 and the weekend of the Valentia Triathlon.

That weekend only one other club mate was doing that race and our families spent most of the day together. That club mate was Martin Mimnagh. Last Thursday I attended Martin's funeral. As many of you will know Martin was tragically killed in an accident when out on his bike last Monday afternoon.

This is not the place for a eulogy but simply to say that Martin was one of the nicest blokes you could ever wish to meet. He was a gentle giant of a man about whom I never heard anyone say anything negative. One of the club members put up some pictures of Martin online last week and in every one of the 50 odd pictures he is smiling and in many of them is accompanied by his kids. Martin left behind 4 small kids and possibly the hardest thing I have ever witnessed in my life were his kids at his funeral - two too young to know what was happening, two just old enough to understand that their Dad was gone.

Before Martin died he had started to organise a charity cycle event to raise money for Marie Curie and the Irish Hospice Foundation, who I believe had looked after his Dad, who also died recently. This event will now go ahead in both their memories. Preliminary details are here.

RIP Martin.

That is a lovely and touching post. When i showed my wife Martin's picture she said we were talking to him at the race lasat year.

If the dates suit i'd love to do that cycle.

It could have been any of us that day.

Just had a look and i'm busy 330k myself over those two days:o

But its a good cause and good luck with it !

Last Tuesday I went for a run along the strand in Sandymount, Dublin.

You weren't out that neck-of-the-woods today, by any chance?

Izoard wrote: »
    You weren't out that neck-of-the-woods today, by any chance?

Yep - was that you I passed crossing the DART tracks? Couldn't tell, thought it looked like you!

Yep - was that you I passed crossing the DART tracks? Couldn't tell, thought it looked like you!

Yeah - thought it was too skinny to be you at first glance, then changed my mind about 30 seconds later - your XXXL blue jacket confused me :)

Ha, I'm still wearing the windbreaker that I got in the goody bag at Carrick On Suir Tri in 2010 - best freebie ever!!!! Is a bit big though!!!!

Decided to do a 10km tester run over the weekend. I aimed to hold somewhere close to HM pace for the 10km, which for me based on my last HM is 4.30 min / km. Manged to finish the 10km in 43.39; which is only 30 secs outside what I TT'd 10km in when I was in good condition coming into Conn last year. McMillan says that this is still aways off being in sub 20min 5km condition (according to McMillan that puts me in 21min 5km shape) but I was delighted with that tbh. I paced it well but was dying on the last km.

I've a few weeks to get into shape - I plan to run a 5km race on either the 10th or 17th March with sub 20 in mind.

It's the last day of the month which means two things:
    1. It's payday :D
    2. It must be time for February's 400m TT swim, and I'm soooooo not in the mood :mad:

Ya I was supposed to do it last night until i saw a pool full of kids - could be chancy heading of tonight again for a swim :mad:

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Ya I was supposed to do it last night until i saw a pool full of kids - could be chancy heading of tonight again for a swim :mad:

I can only swim in work, and I;m off tomorrow so cant swim then. I really should swim today as I haven't swam in over a week but I'm really busy (because I'm off tomorrow :rolleyes:). I did do a TT a couple of weeks ago so I think I'll stick that time in :D I'll punish myself when i get home with some 1km run repeats followed by a bottle of cheap wine :D

Advertisement