Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinion on composition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Original > Crop1 > Crop2 imo.

Crop2 removes all context, whereas I like the context given by the original shot myself.

Edit: fantastic capture btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Crop 1. Really nice pic.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Yep the first one for me too - the second one isn't bad. The little bit of land at the bottom of the third one wrecks my head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭shemwhistler

Thanks for all the feedback.

Crop 2 is my least favourite, but someone suggested losing the bottom third of the shot to make it tighter. When I arrived at crop 2 I wasn't keen, especially as the plane is dead centre.

It dead then lead me to crop 1 which was the same letterbox crop, but with equal(ish) space at top and bottom.

I'm starting to put together my first 10 shot panel and I kinda like the idea of the letterbox ellipse at the centre of the panel.

I think in that context that crop 1 will be punchier than the original, but again that's just my opinion, and as always I'd love to hear yours.

Thanks again.
    matt

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I like the second one tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I think the original is bang on, gives a better sense of the scene, a plane circling over the bay. I also like the lines in the water leading your eye to the headland which leads you to your plane and smoke circle.

There is also a nice juxtaposition between the calm beach and the plane.
    But thats just my 2 cent!

Great shot by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Original is my favourite. Crop 1 is ok but worse, crop 2 horrible.
    You should try cropping the bottom of the beach up as far as the rock on the waterline so that the right side of the rock and the headland are in line vertically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

In order,

Original
    Crop 1
    Crop 2

might depend how you would display the picture though, Crop 1 would look pretty good in a frame, but i think as a photo in its own right, the Original looks best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I would crop or toned down the very bottom of the original photo. It just takes the attention of the eye to bright useless space at the bottom.
    Crop half way between the original and the first crop.
    Stunning picture!!! Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Original for me as well.
    Great shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭shemwhistler

Thanks everyone for the great feedback, definitely some food for thought there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

I like the original best. I find crop 2 interesting and dramatic because it
    creates the illusion that the plane almost made contact with the ground.

Original, crop 2, crop 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Definitely original, I love the little bit of shoreline you can see, great shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Original gets my #1 vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Deadly picture. What a great scene to have captured. Getting that that big shape all in frame is quite rare I'd imagine!

I'd probably picture the original or crop 1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Original > Crop1 > Crop2 imo.

Crop2 removes all context, whereas I like the context given by the original shot myself.

Edit: fantastic capture btw.

Agreed. Great pic, the original gives it a bit more depth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

The original all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

Try to crop 10-15% from top (original). This clouds are lovely, but they are not important as plane and smoke are. (So top will be as in Crop1, but beach remain unchanged - as is important and create depth).
    If not - leave as is in original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭McVitae

Original one without a shadow of a doubt. The contrail appears between the cliffs and the beach and gives an awesome sense of the dimensions of the planes path within the scene

Advertisement