Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beko Fridge Freezer problem: potential fire hazard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Don't hold your breath if you are affected.

I'm on the list since July 11 and its still not done

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

My friend's house burnt down because of one of these fridges. Serious problem there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73131300

previous link

stick a smoke alarm over it while waiting -if possible
    surprising they're not doing more

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Worked on a job in Dublin during the summer that was completely gutted by a fire caused by that fridge freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I also know someone who's house burned down as a result of one of them. Beko actually gave him advice on how to sue them for it.

• Advertisement

unreal
    and no panic on them:confused:

any statistics on fires here

M cebee wrote: »
    unreal
    and no panic on them:confused:

any statistics on fires here

No, was surprised it wasn't mentioned on the news. If there were 20 in London, It would be interesting to know how many happened in Dublin.

they took out adverts in papers here if i remember

but it's not enough

they're just doing the minimum to cover themselves legally more than likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Smoke alarm over the problem ones is a good idea alright, even if its just a battery one.

Beko are a bloody joke.

Rang them yesterday,told to ring a number for Comet in the UK to find out why I havent been sorted yet.The number they gave me had a recorded message to tell me the number had changed.Rang the new number,Spent ten mins without ever speaking to a human on the blower to before I hung up.

Rang Beko back,Got given another number "freephone" he said.Asked if it was UK or Ireland,said he didn't know.It was UK.After ten more mminutes get told that they don't do the Irish repairs,they gave me another UK number rang them,Another then minutes to get told that my call would be escalated to head office but they had no idea when it would be fixed.

All of them UK calls costing me money and I still have no idea when this real threat will be removed from my home.My original call having been logged with them 14 July 2011

Marvellous customer service Beko,5 stars:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Smoke alarm over the problem ones is a good idea alright, even if its just a battery one.

Plugging it out might be a better idea. Smoke alarm will be f*** all use to you when your kitchen is already on fire.

Plugging it out might be a better idea. Smoke alarm will be f*** all use to you when your kitchen is already on fire.

definitely-i wouldn't have one plugged in with kids in the house myself(or anybody in the house for that matter)

fridges and freezers are lethal when they go up

The house I was in was only badly burnt near the appliance but the entire house was destroyed with smoke. Scarily so. I'd dread to think what may have happened if there was anyone at home when it went up.

the fumes are supposed to be lethal

no way should they be left plugged in alright

what about the percentage of owners who aren't aware of the issue?

they don't even know they are at risk

If fridges and/or money to buy a new one were two a penny I'd plug mine out.

Alas they are not,Heat detector above it,Smoke detector near it will have to do for now

superg wrote: »
    If fridges and/or money to buy a new one were two a penny I'd plug mine out.

Alas they are not,Heat detector above it,Smoke detector near it will have to do for now

Maybe you could remove the defrost timer and leave it out. Its that which is the problem apparently.

Is it not integral to the operation of the Fridge? If its possible I'd certainly have a go if anyone knew how

superg wrote: »
    Is it not integral to the operation of the Fridge? If its possible I'd certainly have a go if anyone knew how

On large refrigeration units, swapping evaporator with condensor by means of a solenoid is one method of defrosting a refrigeration evaporator.

But on domestic ones its usually a heating element brought on every so often to stop too much ice building up.

So removing the timer might just stop the auto defrost cycles happening.

Try removing and test the fridge operation then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Seraphim1

I dont agree with the post to try an alter the internal workings, its not as simple as it sounds. If youre worried unplug it, the food will stay good for 24 - 48hrs if you dont open and close it too much. Its a chance to eat up all the food in your fridge instead of letting it go out of date! After all 100euro worth of food (at most) is not worth saving at the the risk of a fire to your home. Eat fresh until they come and sort it out.
    Im starting this process now with the beer :D

It shouldnt be too nuch hassle for an electrician to check out the setup of the defrost timer.

• Advertisement

So this is the offending timer

20120109_200902.jpg

I see no signs of any problems,Water ingress is the cause of the issue they say and this badboy and its housing are bone dry.Its also not in the slightest bit hot.

That said I think I'll try source the part myself and switch it out

Well until they do confirm the cause, it looks like connecting the wires that are into terminals 3 and 4 together will operate the fridge without the defrost cycle coming in. So disconnecting the wires from termnals 1 and 2 of the timer will remove the fire risk then.

Not all that complex a job. Its what i would do if i had one anyway. Or place the timer in a metal enclosure and wire it into that.

Sent a strongly worded email to the managing director of Beko UK last night. Received a call from a service engineer at 8 this morning who arrived half an hour later and fixed the problem!

Also got a call from a nice man in Beko Ireland apologising profusely for the delay which was attributed to UK being written beside my address in their systems rather than Ireland. I had told them I was in Ireland everytime I rang.

Sorted now though.

Advertisement