Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation of Bay Window Box Seat

• 05-01-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭

I hope someone can help me please. Our front bedroom is west facing and overlooking a green area so no houses to block any wind. The room gets unbelievably cold compared to the rest of the house.

picture.php?albumid=1962&pictureid=11617

picture.php?albumid=1962&pictureid=11618

When I put my hand under the lip, the plasterboard is not secured to the wooden seat. I can actually lift up the seat and feel a draught coming in

picture.php?albumid=1962&pictureid=11626

picture.php?albumid=1962&pictureid=11624

So with the draught coming in I figured i needed to insulate it, but when I cut a small hole in it, I see there seems to be plenty of rockwool (or something other than fibreglass) in there already.

picture.php?albumid=1962&pictureid=11623

picture.php?albumid=1962&pictureid=11625

picture.php?albumid=1962&pictureid=11622

Anyone got any ideas on what I can do? I thougth about pumping in expanding foam but with all the rockwool in there already, I dont see the benefit.

Another thought is to raise the seat with a layer of Kingspan insulation board - - would this do any good?

Also seems to be quite cold above the window so think I need to do something similar here?

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Have you had an airtightness test done as your problem seems to be a lack of airtightness rather than lack of insulation. These air leaks will show up during the test and recommendations made.
    Airtightness and insulation are two different things and need to be done correctly in order to get the benefit of both (a nice thick wooly jumper is no good on its own if its windy!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

no Mick I havent had an airtight test done.

I was hoping to cut down on costs, so is there anyway I can do something like this myself?

Could I just go round the edges of the window outside with some sort of sealant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

assuming here that the bedroom wall is drylined, before u get the ball and chain out,:) take off the bedroom wall vent on the inside and see if the wall vent is sealed to the plasterboard and then see if there is any insulation between the pb and the block. As you already know u have a draft problem and just suggesting sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thanks Carlow, yea the walls are dry lined and there is fiberglass insulation between plasterboard and brickwork.
    Like I say, the problem is definately around the window seat so i think micks point about airtightness is what I need to address

Advertisement