Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croagh Patrick tomorrow...

Options
  • 05-01-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of walking Croagh Patrick tomorrow for the first time. Would the experienced climbers/walkers out there recommend it with the weather we're having or should I put it off until weather improves?

How long does it usually take up and down for a reasonably fit 30 something year old?

What distance is it roughly from the car park to the summit?

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Won't get much of a view with the forecast, but it will be mild and not as windy as the last few days.

If you're reasonably fit expect to be up and down in 3 hours. 2 hours up 1 hour or less down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's a pain in the behind to climb, very steep and slippy towards the top. Bring a hiking stick if you have one, or you should be able to rent a wooden pole at the base of the mountain. Bear in mind it will be quite a bit colder at the top, so a fleece or two, raincoat, gloves, hat would be a good idea.

The view off the top is fabulous, it'd be shame to do it if it's covered in cloud.

Keep an eye out for wind or lightning. Snow, rain, hail, whatever, none of them are dangerous. Lovely walk on a clear day but nice fresh air even on a clouded one. Not sure I'd go with a stick, though I do all my trekking without any hiking poles and I like to have my hands free. Sure how else would I pick my nose? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I'd love to hear how you get on, I'm heading west to do it in a few weeks. Good luck with the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭galwaylad1980

Thanks for the tips guys, will give it a lash even if it is cloudy and hopefully get up and down in one piece!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi,

Thinking of walking Croagh Patrick tomorrow for the first time. Would the experienced climbers/walkers out there recommend it with the weather we're having or should I put it off until weather improves?

How long does it usually take up and down for a reasonably fit 30 something year old?

What distance is it roughly from the car park to the summit?

Thanks

with the right equipment and basic fitness you can do anything. there is a path up and a path down. wind can be strong. its a mountain I used to do as a ten year old (though with more experienced hikers).let us know how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭galwaylad1980

What a hike!

Was having second thoughts when I got to the car park yesterday morning as there was a good bit of mist/fog and a strong breeze. That said, there were a few cars parked up so I decided there must be crazier people than me already up the mountain so I'd give it a lash.

It was tough going and the wind was so strong that I was stopped in my tracks (a good few times) but I put my head down and one foot in front of the other and plodded on. Was great to reach the top but couldn't see a bit of the view so looking forward to doing it again in the summer on a clear day.

I didnt have a stick but I was well wrapped up and glad of my good waterproofs by the time I reached the car again. All in all a great experience an looking forward to my next trip up "The Reek"!!

Thanks again for all the tips and advice guys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Good stuff, I love those days that take a bit of mental and physical strength to get to the top, character building ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lar203

i went up last year and i'll be back this year to do it again . a hour and a half up and down totaly unfit, two days in a heap .great wake up call

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

fair play for doing it.

in days of yore people were sacrificed to crom cruach from the peak, which would ensure a good harvest.

there was a guy who climbed it every day for a year. he shed a few pounds.
    the good thing about it is that you will always meet people and hikers tend to be very sociable.
    reek Sunday is in July or august and you get people going up it in sandals and without water or any protection against the elements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 cmccarra

Went up it during the summer there for the third time with the brother and a friend, up and down barefoot...and it'll be the last time I'll be doing it barefoot! :rolleyes: Brother got a good panoramic photography (Attached below because it wouldn't fit nicely in the post) of it though while we near the summit, very good day.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

cmccarra wrote: »
    Went up it during the summer there for the third time with the brother and a friend, up and down barefoot...and it'll be the last time I'll be doing it barefoot! :rolleyes: Brother got a good photography of it though while we near the summit, very good day.

I know its traditional and all that(my grandmother used to do it), but its very irresponsible to hike a mountain barefoot. Not something to be encouraged.

Glad to hear you had a good day for it though, not the best walking in mayo but certainly one of the best views. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cmccarra

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I know its traditional and all that(my grandmother used to do it), but its very irresponsible to hike a mountain barefoot. Not something to be encouraged.

Glad to hear you had a good day for it though, not the best walking in mayo but certainly one of the best views. :)

Yeah, it was just something we decided to do one morning, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The volume of glass on that path is not nice, was very lucky not to stand on any.

cmccarra wrote: »
    Yeah, it was just something we decided to do one morning, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The volume of glass on that path is not nice, was very lucky not to stand on any.

Yea the level of litter and rubbish up there is shocking, and in that case dangerous. Its a shame really. I brought some cousins up it during the summer (8 hours it took :eek:) and met a fella walking from the other side, he had a black bag with him and was picking up rubbish as he went along. I asked was he with a community group or something, and he said no he just does it on his own. The same people who passed him on the way up were still chucking rubbish at the summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lar203

scum should be shoved over the side {now im littering }

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I climbed the Reek last Saturday and it was spectacular, loved every treacheous step! Two hours up and two and a half coming down - I couldn't resist stopping to admire the wonderful views. I was so lucky with the weather, it was misty at the top alright but still well worth it. Thanks for all he tips here. Highly recommended, definitely bring a stick!

Advertisement