Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggy bag dumping in Bray

• 05-01-2012 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

I walk a lot on Herbert road and Southern cross and I've noticed an increase in full doggy bags being dumped on the side side of these roads.

I really cannot understand the thinking behind doing this, if you are going to go to the trouble of buying these bags, picking up your dogs sh!t, why do you then throw in a ditch. I mean if you are that much of a scumbag to do this then why not just leave the dog crap on the path, at least it will eventully wash away. What do these people think happens to the bloody plastic bag. If ever I catch anyone doing this, I will rip them a new one. ARGH:mad::mad::mad:

/rant over

Also, there is someone with a big dog(has to be big judging by the amount it leaves behind) who walks down past brook lodge....PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOG!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

That's not an isolated incident either. I've seen doggy bags which have been left on front garden walls on the Vevay Road near Centra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I walk a lot on Herbert road and Southern cross and I've noticed an increase in full doggy bags being dumped on the side side of these roads.
    Many bins, and/or "doggy poo bins" around? I'm thinking they got bored carrying it, and dropped it next to other dogy sh|t bags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

There is no bins but I don't think there should be either.

It is their own rubbish and so their own responsibility to get rid of it.

I know it's not isolated to these areas, it's just where I walk the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

When I read the thread title I thought of doggy bags as in the bags of leftovers some people bring home from restaurants... couldn't understand why they wouldn't just leave the food in the restaurant if they didn't want it. :o

But seriously, if you're going to the trouble of picking up after your dog (as you're meant to of course), why dump it anyway? Seems to be a problem with litter in general, people will just throw empty snack/drink packaging on the ground as if it was a burden to carry it to the next bin they see...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

Noticed the same and its just disgusting. Id rather see them poo poos left alone cos they do dissapear when its rains next, but storaged in a bag makes the whole thing look just... sh itzy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It's the same all over, and there's always one thing in common - no bins.

Portmarnock beach is the same. They took the bins off the beach as they were getting toppled by the tide, however, there is now nowhere for a dog walker to deposit the sh1t along a 4km stretch.

Expecting someone to cling to a sh1tty bag from 8kn is farcical. I dont like it, but it's inevitable that they chuck them.

Oh right, so it's the council's fault for not putting out bins.

Funny I thought it was the fault of the scumbag who thinks it's ok to hang bags of sh!t off railings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Funny I thought it was the fault of the scumbag who thinks it's ok to hang bags of sh!t off railings.
    Well it's half and half. The fact that people are picking it up shows that they're aware of their social obligation in that regard.
    No, they shouldn't then throw it somewhere else, but then there will always be scumbags around.

By not providing bins, all the council are really doing is encouraging people to clean up the poo while everyone's watching and then wait until nobody is watching and throw it away.

I don't think they need to put bins on the beach, just near it. Look at Sandymount Strand - there are bins all along the seafront walk, but none on the beach, yet no dog poo in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Saw this on the Southern Cross aswell, someone getting a bit creative with them aswell, tying them to the ends of branches and up at top of signposts etc, very odd. No bins is 100% the cause of course, the nearest bin on the SC is either nearly at the Vevay Road on one side and out at the leisure center on the other.

of course it's the councils fault, who else is responsible for bins?
    You think people are going to carry a bag of sh1t for an extended period of time, or a long distance? Really?? Well good luck with that.

• Advertisement

Fair enough I just think people should take responsiblity for their own litter.

If people want to have a dog then they know it comes with responsiblity so that might mean carrying sh!t in a bag sometimes.

But why don't we just blame some else, that's grand. No bins means I can dump my rubbish where ever I want. Good luck with that logic.

Fair enough I just think people should take responsiblity for their own litter.
    I agree, of course they should. And I guess the good news is that a number of them are actually bothering to a) bring doggy bags & b) bend down and clean up the crap. Thankfully this is a damn sight better then before when the paths were just littered by crap & no one, at all, pick up after their dogs.

Sadly the council isn't providing somewhere for them to c) put the crap.
    It's pretty shitty. ;)
    If people want to have a dog then they know it comes with responsiblity so that might mean carrying shit in a bag sometimes.
    Well, that's not really true. There is no enforcement, that I can see, to encourage people to pick up. So it's probably only a matter of time before people give up picking up altogether in those places. I know on Portmarnock beach, it seem a significant number have given up picking up.
    But why don't we just blame some else, that's grand. No bins means I can dump my rubbish where ever I want. Good luck with that logic.
    Emmm, fair enough, but people are more likely to put an empty crisp wrapper, or a bar of choc wrapper into their pocket and carry it with them, as it's not a bag of shit. No one is going to risk putting a bag of dog shit into their pocket.

I trust you can see the difference between a plastic wrapper thats clean enough to carry food, and a bag of dog excrement?

Look, I get the point that if there were bins people may use them and I know I'm may be being idealistic thinking that even if there were no bins people would carry their rubbish (whatever the rubbish is) with them.

But still I do not get the thinking behind picking up the sh!t in a bag and then dunping the bag. I mean if you have that much of an issue with carrying the bag then bring a little shovel with and shovel it to an area where no one walks.

I just think it's a bit of a cop out to say there is no bins and I don't want to carry a bag a **** so I'll just hang it on this tree/railing. Surely you don't agree with this happening or think these people should be excused due to there being no bins?

And yes I do get what your saying about a gross carrying a bag a sh!t is but do you at get what I am saying.

There are still a lot of people who dump their sweet wrappers, etc and their excuse being there was no bin.

Look, I get the point that if there were bins people may use them and I know I'm may be being idealistic thinking that even if there were no bins people would carry their rubbish (whatever the rubbish is) with them.
    Well then, why the outrage?
    I mean if you have that much of an issue with carrying the bag then bring a little shovel with and shovel it to an area where no one walks.
    Firstly a shovel causes the same problem, ie: you are now carrying a shitty shovel around.
    I just think it's a bit of a cop out to say there is no bins and I don't want to carry a bag a **** so I'll just hang it on this tree/railing.
    Well the thinking is: I'd better clean this up. Now wheres the bin? Oh, there is none, I'll hang it here, when they come to pick up the litter, they'll get it.
    Surely you don't agree with this happening
    Didn't I already cover that?
    or think these people should be excused due to there being no bins?
    excused from what? People shouldn't litter, but bins should be provided. I can understand why it happens.
    Simillarly I can understand that crashes will occur if no traffic lights are provided for at a junction. One driver will be responsible, but traffic lights should be provided.
    And yes I do get what your saying about a gross carrying a bag a sh!t is but do you at get what I am saying.
    Yes and no. I get you don't like litter - neither do I, but I don't get your outrage, or lack of understanding towards the dog owners. Frankly, if I had to choose, I'd prefer if every shit was wrapped in a bag. While it'd be bad for the environment, at least I'd be far less likely to trod on it. And as a person who occasionally clears up litter in the local area, it's easy to clear up the bag (assuming it hasn't burst - then it's the worst of both worlds.
    There are still a lot of people who dump their sweet wrappers, etc and their excuse being there was no bin.
    ...and as you said previously, they're scumbags. Don't forget people who flick their cigerette ends away also.

Well this is where this will end up in circles.

I don't like to see bags of ****, you do. You may think I'm being flip here but have just said you would prefare to see the bags rather then step in it.

Not all the bags get picked up so they stay there, they don't just magically melt away.

I don't understand littering of things that will not degrade in any form, I never will no matter how many excuses you give out.

I don't like to see bags of ****, you do.
    No. I don't. Don't miss quote me: it's rude.
    You may think I'm being flip here but have just said you would prefare to see the bags rather then step in it.
    Of course i think you are being flippant(?) - I hope you are. I never said I like to see bags, and you know it. Would you prefer to be kicked in the ass or kicked in the face?

Kindly stop creating points you wish to be outraged at, or at least don't attribute them to me.

Zulu wrote: »
    Well then, why the outrage?

Firstly a shovel causes the same problem, ie: you are now carrying a shitty shovel around.

Well the thinking is: I'd better clean this up. Now wheres the bin? Oh, there is none, I'll hang it here, when they come to pick up the litter, they'll get it.
    Didn't I already cover that?
    excused from what? People shouldn't litter, but bins should be provided. I can understand why it happens.
    Simillarly I can understand that crashes will occur if no traffic lights are provided for at a junction. One driver will be responsible, but traffic lights should be provided.

Yes and no. I get you don't like litter - neither do I, but I don't get your outrage, or lack of understanding towards the dog owners. Frankly, if I had to choose, I'd prefer if every shit was wrapped in a bag. While it'd be bad for the environment, at least I'd be far less likely to trod on it. And as a person who occasionally clears up litter in the local area, it's easy to clear up the bag (assuming it hasn't burst - then it's the worst of both worlds.

...and as you said previously, they're scumbags. Don't forget people who flick their cigerette ends away also.

I don't think I am mis quoting you...the way I am reading the comment in bold is that you would prefare the sh!t to be wrapped in plastic so you don't get it on your shoes??

I would rather people leave it there/shovle it off the pavement so it could be wash off instead of having to look at a plastic bags of sh!t.

I don't think I am mis quoting you...
    I thought my example was succint enough: would you prefer to be kicked in the ass or kicked in the face?
    You can have a preference without liking either. You misquoted me stating that I like to see bags. I don't. I said I have a preference. You understand the difference don't you? You may prefer to be kicked in the ass when offered a choice between that or a kick in the face, but you probably won't like either.
    I would rather people leave it there/shovle it off the pavement so it could be wash off instead of having to look at a plastic bags of sh!t.
    Well then fair enough. The popular trend is against dog shit left where the dog deposits it.

Zulu wrote: »
    I thought my example was succint enough: would you prefer to be kicked in the ass or kicked in the face?
    You can have a preference without liking either. You misquoted me stating that I like to see bags. I don't. I said I have a preference. You understand the difference don't you? You may prefer to be kicked in the ass when offered a choice between that or a kick in the face, but you probably won't like either.

Well then fair enough. The popular trend is against dog shit left where the dog deposits it.

Agian, I get your points. I don't agree with them.

It may be popular, I still don't agree with it.

It may be popular, I still don't agree with it.
    Rage against the machine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement