Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'm currently on a 457, have been for about 6 months and am with my employer almost a year.
    What, if any, options are open to me in the way of an independent visa? The key thing is that I don't want to have to rely on my job for my visa.
    I'm in IT and my occupation is on schedule 2 of the SOL. I looked at a 189 but it says for an occupation on schedule 2 I need to be nominated by a state / territory government or an employer. How does state nomination work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I have 2 questions

1. Once a person has been invited to apply for a Visa, how long do they have before they actually have to make the application? Does this have to be done pretty much straight away or is there a timeframe?

2.Once a Visa has been granted how long does the person have before they actually have to go to Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

beoffthen wrote: »
    Help Advise needed !!

We are a family thinking of emigrating to Australia, and we are not sure if my OH fetac level 6 major award is a recognised qualification in Australia, she runs her own pre school here in Ireland and is looking at applying for a skilled migrant visa, as child care is on the skilled jobs list but not sure if the fetac level 6 is recognised over in Australia if any has done this or has any advise we would really appreciate any help.

A child care coordinator is on the CSOL list - but this requires a degree qualification to be considered for a skilled migration visa. Your partner's qualification is not meeting that requirement.

<mod snip> No pimping business thanks.
    Thanks Declan

Essien wrote: »
    I'm currently on a 457, have been for about 6 months and am with my employer almost a year.
    What, if any, options are open to me in the way of an independent visa? The key thing is that I don't want to have to rely on my job for my visa.
    I'm in IT and my occupation is on schedule 2 of the SOL. I looked at a 189 but it says for an occupation on schedule 2 I need to be nominated by a state / territory government or an employer. How does state nomination work?

Hi Essien,

The State sponsored visa would be a good option - it requires that you lice and work in the nominated state for the first 2 years. Then you are free to move anywhere across Australia as you please.

You are sponsored by the state rather than an employer so you can work for any employer in your occupation within the state. There are different IT occupation classifications so your occupation classification will determine what states are CURRENTLY looking for that occupation. The states update their shortage lists regularly so occupation are added and removed from state shortage lists.

You need to meet the minimum of 60 points to be eligible to lodge an EOI - the higher your points the greater the chance of being invited to submit a visa applciation. This does not guarantee you a visa however - you still must meet the eligibility criteria at the time.

Note that you can continue working with your employer on your 457 sponsorship visa while your state sponsored visa application is in process.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

I have 2 questions

1. Once a person has been invited to apply for a Visa, how long do they have before they actually have to make the application? Does this have to be done pretty much straight away or is there a timeframe?

2.Once a Visa has been granted how long does the person have before they actually have to go to Australia?

Hi Shadowcomplex,

On point 1 - i recall that you are given 6 months to lodge a visa applciation.
    This could be wrong so other Board members, please correct me if I am wrong here.

On point 2 the activation date varies depending on your situation.
    Factors considered are
    - how recent your medicals and police clearances are.
    - are you inside or outside Australia at the time the decision is made.

You are generally given about 8 - 9 months from when you visa is granted in order to activate it.

But if the medicals or police clearances were carried out some time before the case officer grants the visa (and are soon to expire), then the activation date is usually brought forward.
    If you are already in Australia on another visa type then the activation date is usually brought forward too.

Hope this helps,

Declan Clune

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm still reading through the thread in my spare time looking for info, but i thought i'd throw this out there in the hope of getting some advice in the mean time.

my situation is that i've always had it in my mind that i would emigrate to Oz in the next couple of years with my wife and our 11 month old son, but it turns out that due to a respiratory medical condition the irish climate is very bad for him and a warmer, dryer climate such as that in Oz would suit him a lot better, so after spending 2 separate weeks in temple street with him since january (one in the ICU), we've decided to accelerate our emigration plans as much as possible for the sake of our child's health as his condition that has caused us so many issues here would be practically non-existent over there.

I work in IT and there are contracting jobs out in Oz that i could do standing on my head where I could make at least double or close to 3 times what i make here, which would allow my wife to give up work entirely (which we would like, but can't afford to do here) to look after our son full time.

I'm currently 35, British (but an Irish resident since 2001) and my wife (also 35) and child (currently 11 months) are Irish.

ideally, we'd be looking at Melbourne or Perth, altough I'm not sure if the colder, wetter winters in Melbourne would be too close to the Irish climate for him. The other benefit to Perth would be that my brother lives there and is an Australian citizen with an Aussie wife and 3 kids and has been there for the last 15+ years.

He thinks that his company could offer me a job and sponsor me and says that we would be able to stay with him until we get on our feet, which I think would be ideal. He or his wife could also potentially sponsor me if that might be a better (i.e. quicker) option for us to get out there sooner, and the sooner the better tbh.

i'm just not sure what the best way of maximising our chances of getting in (and quickly) are?

looking at the SOL i'd be classed as an IT systems analyst (code 261112). I have 17 years experience in IT and have worked for 3 of the top 5 IT companies in the world in that time in both the UK and Ireland (and still working for one of them now) and have industry recognised qualifications to back up my experience so I think I should (hopefully) be able to get in on that alone.

I'd be hoping to be out there before the end of the year if all goes well with around €20k in the bank to get us started, but I don't know how feasible it is to go to Oz as an IT contractor, or would I need to take a permanent role in order to get in?

looking at jobs there, perm roles in my field are still offering good money (touching 6 figures), but a contracting role or two for the first 6-12 months would give us a much better leg up and give us a lot more flexibility due to the increased earning potential, I just don't know if it's going to be a possibility as an immigrant, or if i'd need something permanent and a company sponsorship?

I was in Oz when I was 19 on a 3 month holiday visa and i'm wondering if we might go out there with something like that to start with just to get out there and take it from there or if it would be too risky?

any thoughts?

thanks in advance. :)

Hi Vibe,

I am not a medical expert and don't know the medical condition of your child but if your child has a serious medical condition then you need to consider if this would have an impact on your (the family's) visa application ?

Note that for a 457 sponsorship visa medicals would not be required for your occupation so it would not be an issue for that visa.

However, it might be a factor in securing a permanent resident visa and this is something that you should probably investigate first and foremost if considering going down this route or if your long term plan is to get PR in Oz.
    From what I understand, if medical bills and medication exceed AUD 25K over a 3 year period that would be grounds on refusing the visa for your child.

You could get your child to do a medical with a panel doctor if you thought this might be an issue before spending money on visas. These are in the Mater Private in Dublin and Euromedic in Cork.

At least you would know if this will be an issue for your application

<mod snip>
    Thanks
    Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annemar23

Hi, just wondering if anyone has started this process since the changes made on 1st July?
    I didn't get my application submitted in time so now I am faced with trying to get my head around the new rules. I am waiting for my skills assessment result to come back from CPA Australia (I am applying for a Nominated subclass 190 skilled migration visa as an accountant)
    I already have opened an expression of interest account, just need the positive skills assessment before I sumit it fully. I then want to apply for State sponsorship in WA.
    Has anyone got this far in the new process and has there been any indication of processing times or waiting times to apply for the visa?

Thanks

I would apreciate it if someone could outline the total costs incurred for start to finish for applying for the visa optaining the visa and money required to go over with for permanent Migration

I talking about every single thing from agent fees, to medicals etc

I have gotten conflicting information from a number of different people, I heard some states require you to have 20k aus dollars in your bank account before you go over

I have also heard there are going to be further restrictions put in place for certain visas in january 2013 so if one wants to apply for visa they need to hurry up

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Finally got clarification.
    Choose the Temporary Residence Transition stream if you are a subclass 457 visa holder who has worked for your employer for two years in the nominated occupation and your employer wants to offer you a permanent position in that occupation.

The bolded part should read ...for two years the nominated occupation on the 457 visa.

It is easily assumed that is what meant, but imo the original wording is vague. As I satisfy those conditions, but can't apply for the Temporary Residence Transition. As I've only been on a 457 15months.

Hi Essien,

The State sponsored visa would be a good option - it requires that you lice and work in the nominated state for the first 2 years. Then you are free to move anywhere across Australia as you please.
    Not any more.
    Since moving to the skill select system. People on state sponsored visas (subclass 190).
    • This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory.
    • A visa holder can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.
    • Certain family members can be included in the application.
    Hi Shadowcomplex,

On point 1 - i recall that you are given 6 months to lodge a visa applciation.
    This could be wrong so other Board members, please correct me if I am wrong here.
    It's 60 days from invitation to apply.
    I have also heard there are going to be further restrictions put in place for certain visas in january 2013 so if one wants to apply for visa they need to hurry up
    Not quite. There are certain visas will be closed from jan 2012. But they are unlikely to be any that apply here.
    It's basically the graduate residence visas. They were given extra time to change over to the new system as people were possibly tied to courses and had in part started the process already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

Hi guys, just wondering if I will be able to continue working with the company that is sponsering me while on a bridging visa. My application is only going through this week but my 417 expires on the 22 of this month. I assume it will take more time than this and that I will need to be put on a bridging visa.

Also for my Engineering qualifications, are certified copys of the degrees that I got certified in a garda station last year sufficient? or should I be getting the originals sent over asap or a copy certified by a solicitor?

Thanks

Once you apply for the visa before the 417 expires you'll be fine. You'll get an email confirming that your application has been recieved and it will include details of your bridging visa. Basically, if the application expires before a decision is made you'll be on a bridging visa A. Which means you have the same work rights as your WHV, so you can continue working.

Garda copies will be fine for degrees. I just had scanned copies, there's no skills assessment for 457. The fact that you being offered a sponsored job says enough about your ability to fill the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

That's great mellor,thanks for the reply! Puts the mind at ease, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Hi Vibe,

I am not a medical expert and don't know the medical condition of your child but if your child has a serious medical condition then you need to consider if this would have an impact on your (the family's) visa application ?
    the thing is, the whole point of going is that our son's medical condition wouldn't exist (or at least not to anywhere near the same extent) if we moved to Oz as it is being cultivated by he cold and damp here in Ireland that he would no longer be exposed to in Oz.

I would apreciate it if someone could outline the total costs incurred for start to finish for applying for the visa optaining the visa and money required to go over with for permanent Migration

I talking about every single thing from agent fees, to medicals etc

I have gotten conflicting information from a number of different people, I heard some states require you to have 20k aus dollars in your bank account before you go over

Hi Shadowcomplex,

Here is a ball park figure at what you are looking at

Re costs for a skilled visa - all in ball park figure is approx AUD 7500 for the visa.
    Immigration fees AUD 3060 - skilled migration visa
    Skill assessment fees approx AUD AUD 400 - will depend on the assessment body you need to go through - so this is an average. Note for some trade occupations the assessment fees are approx AUD 2500.
    Medicals Approx AUD 250 per applicant (adult)
    English Test approx AUD 250 (main applicant only needs this to score points to be eligible for the visa)
    State fee between AUD 300 - AUD 500 - some states charge a fee for the nomination approval - others don't so it depends on the state you are applying to.
    Processing fees vary from agent to agent. They are typically between AUD 3500 - AUD 5000.

Note that if going through the State nomination route eg subclass 190, each states requires that you can get access to funds if required.

The amount varies from state to state and increases with the number of applicants included on your application. The funds you need to have access to starts from approx AUD 20K for the main applicant.

Some states will require that you actually have these funds available in your account eg ACT. Other states merely require that you confirm that you can get access to these funds if required - WA, SA, NA for example.

Regarding further restrictions, an agent can only advise of the criteria at a point in time and requirements can change at any point. mHence if you are currently eligiible to apply and you are fairly sure it is something that you want to go ahead with, then it is advisable to get your application lodged as soon as possible while you are eligible.

Hope this helps.
    Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Or go DIY for 4k!! easy.

Hi Shadowcomplex,

Here is a ball park figure at what you are looking at

Re costs for a skilled visa - all in ball park figure is approx AUD 7500 for the visa.
    Immigration fees AUD 3060 - skilled migration visa
    Skill assessment fees approx AUD AUD 400 - will depend on the assessment body you need to go through - so this is an average. Note for some trade occupations the assessment fees are approx AUD 2500.
    Medicals Approx AUD 250 per applicant (adult)
    English Test approx AUD 250 (main applicant only needs this to score points to be eligible for the visa)
    State fee between AUD 300 - AUD 500 - some states charge a fee for the nomination approval - others don't so it depends on the state you are applying to.
    Processing fees vary from agent to agent. They are typically between AUD 3500 - AUD 5000.

Note that if going through the State nomination route eg subclass 190, each states requires that you can get access to funds if required.

The amount varies from state to state and increases with the number of applicants included on your application. The funds you need to have access to starts from approx AUD 20K for the main applicant.

Some states will require that you actually have these funds available in your account eg ACT. Other states merely require that you confirm that you can get access to these funds if required - WA, SA, NA for example.

Regarding further restrictions, an agent can only advise of the criteria at a point in time and requirements can change at any point. mHence if you are currently eligiible to apply and you are fairly sure it is something that you want to go ahead with, then it is advisable to get your application lodged as soon as possible while you are eligible.

Hope this helps.
    Declan

Declan,

That 3060 fee only covers the initial installment, there is a 2nd installment of 4250

Hi Shadowcomplex,

No that VAC is only payable if you are over 18 and have less than functional English - i.e. very basic English.

Thanks
    Declan

Mellor wrote: »
    Not any more.
    Since moving to the skill select system. People on state sponsored visas (subclass 190).
    This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory.
    A visa holder can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.
    Certain family members can be included in the application.

Sorry, I made a mistake here.
    On the first page it states the above that you can live anywhere.
    But further on it states that you must remain in the state for 2 years.
    I don't think they can force you to stay in t he state if you situation changes 9lose you job, one opens in a different state etc) but you have to at least make a effort.

Once initial proceedings have begun, how long does it usually take for someone to obtain a permanent migration visa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Once initial proceedings have begun, how long does it usually take for someone to obtain a permanent migration visa?

Initial proceedings as in lodging an Expression of Interest or an application?

An application could only take a few months these days, but you could literally wait years for the invite to apply... depending on your nominating occupation and points score.

If my career is currently not on the WA list for sponsorship what other options are available to me , and how common is it for careers to return to the list

If my career is currently not on the WA list for sponsorship what other options are available to me , and how common is it for careers to return to the list

Hard to say but careers return to a list when there's a shortage, these lists are usually revised every May/June. Employer sponsorship is an option, hard to get sponsored from Ireland unless you have serious skills and experience that are in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Moved a few 457 questions into a 457 thread. This is for skilled migration only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a few queries. I am intending to apply for a skilled migration visa some time early next year. I am 32, an accountant (part qualified CIMA) with an honours degree in finance. I have approx 8 years work experience relevant to my occupation, and am currently in full time employment, just fancy a change. In all I scored 85 on the points test, 65 being required to pass. What might complicate matters is the fact that I want to bring my girlfriend, who is Romanian, which is EU now since 2007. She is a qualified make up artist, aged 26. Can I include her on my application, and will this count for or against me? She is not, however, on the skilled occupations list. She will pass character test, English test etc as she has previous work as an English interpreter (but without qualifications unfortunately). Also, how long are applications typically taking these days?

Thanks in advance for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

bmwguy wrote: »
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a few queries. I am intending to apply for a skilled migration visa some time early next year. I am 32, an accountant (part qualified CIMA) with an honours degree in finance. I have approx 8 years work experience relevant to my occupation, and am currently in full time employment, just fancy a change. In all I scored 85 on the points test, 65 being required to pass. What might complicate matters is the fact that I want to bring my girlfriend, who is Romanian, which is EU now since 2007. She is a qualified make up artist, aged 26. Can I include her on my application, and will this count for or against me? She is not, however, on the skilled occupations list. She will pass character test, English test etc as she has previous work as an English interpreter (but without qualifications unfortunately). Also, how long are applications typically taking these days?

Thanks in advance for any advice

As long as you can prove you are in a relationship for over a year (and have suffient evidence) then it does not matter who she is, where she comes from and what she does.

Bit of a sad case

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2012/10/11/skilled-nurse-too-old-for-permanent-visa-diac-decides/21099

Really this lady should have got some real migration advice from a registered agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vicki80

Hi, I'd like as much advice as possible regarding my chances of being granted a PR for WA.
    I am a qualified chef with trade certificates and over three years experience. I am 32 and I'm looking to submit an EOI before my next birthday, so August next year.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you x

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vicki80

Vicki80 wrote: »
    Hi, I'd like as much advice as possible regarding my chances of being granted a PR for WA.
    I am a qualified chef with trade certificates and over three years experience. I am 32 and I'm looking to submit an EOI before my next birthday, so August next year.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you x
    Btw I'm in the uk atm, not Oz x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

The new 190 visa replaces the old state sponsored 176 visa but you can work in any state you want on a 190 visa.

Has anybody any experience of changing states on a 176 visa before completing the 2 years?

Advertisement