Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭JaManSnowFlake

Hi Randy,

The fees deend on the visa you are applying for but if it is a skilled migration visa (permanent residence) then the typical fees charge range from EUR 2500 - EUR 4000 for processing plus immigration / assessment fees etc.

That fee would definitely not be for a skilled migration visa.
    The total you could except to pay which would include all fees would be around EUR 5500.

Happy to quote if you want.

Declan Clune

5500!!
    wow, that's an extraordinarily high figure. What's the break down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

The Immigration Fees are a major killer here - they alone account for half the total fees AUD 3060 for a permanent resident visa.
    Then you have Assessment Fees, State Nomination fees, Medicals, Police Clearances, Agent Fees ...

That EUR 5500 is at the low end of the scale.
    Many agents charge AUD 10,000 in total FOR THE EXACT SAME VISA - nothing additional added.

5500!!
    wow, that's an extraordinarily high figure. What's the break down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭JaManSnowFlake

I'm was considering putting in an EOI(expression of interest) for independent skilled migration (189) and I'm surprised about that the processing time is 12 months. That processing time doesn't make investment in the application process worth it.

http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charters/client-services-charter/visas/8.0.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Randy Watson

The accreditation from Australian engineers is AUD$300. What do National Visas offer, what visa are you applying for?

I'm only at the EOI stage. You can manage your own application for 549 AD or National Visas will do it for you for 4999 AD.

Applying for a Skilled Visa Program

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Randy Watson

Hi Randy,

The fees deend on the visa you are applying for but if it is a skilled migration visa (permanent residence) then the typical fees charge range from EUR 2500 - EUR 4000 for processing plus immigration / assessment fees etc.

That fee would definitely not be for a skilled migration visa.
    The total you could except to pay which would include all fees would be around EUR 5500.

Happy to quote if you want.

Declan Clune

Hi Declan,

Thanks for your reply. Basically I was just wondering what kind of price I'm looking at and whether or not the price I was quoted was the norm. You've answered that.

You can quote a price if you want.

• Advertisement

Hi Randy,

Our fee is EUR 2500 (approx AUD 3150).
    Then as with National Visas - immigration fees, assessment fees, medicals etc apply separately.

Hope that helps.
    Declan
    Hi Declan,

Thanks for your reply. Basically I was just wondering what kind of price I'm looking at and whether or not the price I was quoted was the norm. You've answered that.

You can quote a price if you want.

Hi JaManSnowFlake,

In our experience we lodge decision ready applications and what we are finding is that the Expression of interst takes 1 month and then another month for a case officer to be assigned.
    This applies to 190 state sponsored visas.
    The 189 visa can take a bit longer but isn't that much more based on our experience.

All that said, I cannot guarantee timeframes and theh above are estimates based on our files lodged.

Bear in mind that you need to factor in the time taken to gather your required documents, and secure state approval also in the case of the 190 visa.

Hope that helps
    Declan
    I'm was considering putting in an EOI(expression of interest) for independent skilled migration (189) and I'm surprised about that the processing time is 12 months. That processing time doesn't make investment in the application process worth it.

http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charters/client-services-charter/visas/8.0.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Operator

HI,

I would like to get a qualified opinion (if there is one) in relation to the chance of getting a skilled migration visa for Australia.

I am actually asking about my wifes chances! I am 32, my wife is 31 yrs old (30 pts), she has a Bachelor of Arts in Geography and Economics (15pts). Normally this would have qualified her to work as an Urban Planner or similar, however after college she joined An Garda Siochana. She has IELTS 8 (20pts). Total 65pts.

My question is this, although she is qualified to work in urban planning (which is on the SOL) she does not have any experience in this. I take it that if she had work experience she could of had 5, 10 or 15 additional points. I believe there is a chance that the point threshold may reach 65 pts therefore is there any chance she could qualify for a visa?

This is a fantastic thread, any opinion is much appreciated,

PS: Both our are occupations are on the CSOL list if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Hi Operator, is your wife a fully qualified Garda? if so I believe the WA police are looking for recruits and do sponser full members of the Garda to come over if she is still interested in working in the police.

No6 wrote: »
    Hi Operator, is your wife a fully qualified Garda? if so I believe the WA police are looking for recruits and do sponser full members of the Garda to come over if she is still interested in working in the police.

We are both full members of AGS, police officer and detective are on the csol list. I completed the competition for WA Police in 2006/7 and was offered a position however when they announced the competition this time they wanted people with >7 years service unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Operator sadly for the skilled migration visa there is a requirement to show work experience in the field you apply for.

Your best bet is indeed the WAPOL and SAPOL recruitment drives even if one of you makes the cut the other can come along as a dependent.

This is a good site to watch.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

I received my letter of acknowledgement of my decision ready employer nominated visa on the 12th of December but no case officer name,will i have to wait for a case officer first before i receive any information of my visa being granted?
    Or has anyone a proper idea of time frames at the moment?

Hi guys,

Just to note that the minimum of 12 months requirement is removed now forthe visa application. It still remains however for some assessing bodies. Urban Planners however are assessed by Vetassess and do NOT require to meet this minimum 12 month requirement.

Hopefully this is the news you want to hear.

Regards,
    Declan
    Operator wrote: »
    HI,

I would like to get a qualified opinion (if there is one) in relation to the chance of getting a skilled migration visa for Australia.

I am actually asking about my wifes chances! I am 32, my wife is 31 yrs old (30 pts), she has a Bachelor of Arts in Geography and Economics (15pts). Normally this would have qualified her to work as an Urban Planner or similar, however after college she joined An Garda Siochana. She has IELTS 8 (20pts). Total 65pts.

My question is this, although she is qualified to work in urban planning (which is on the SOL) she does not have any experience in this. I take it that if she had work experience she could of had 5, 10 or 15 additional points. I believe there is a chance that the point threshold may reach 65 pts therefore is there any chance she could qualify for a visa?

This is a fantastic thread, any opinion is much appreciated,

PS: Both our are occupations are on the CSOL list if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,506 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Quick question.

Any body know what sort of time frame you are looking at for ENS (subclass 186) under the Temporary Residence Transition stream.
    Say, the two years is just past, the application is ready to go and nomination and visa are lodged at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Currently on a 457 visa since October 2011. In that period I've worked for two companies so therefore won't have the 2 years with same employer for ENS for another 1.5 years if I stay with this company (which I'm not sure I will be for that long).

Im 24. I completed my degree in May 2011 and only have experience post grad in Australia on the 457. So approx. 15 months. I'd like to get off the 457 visa and onto PR as soon as I'm eligible. At this point i'm not sure when that is. Does anyone know at what point I might be able to apply? I'm a Mine Surveyor.

Thanks.

irishmover wrote: »
    Currently on a 457 visa since October 2011. In that period I've worked for two companies so therefore won't have the 2 years with same employer for ENS for another 1.5 years if I stay with this company (which I'm not sure I will be for that long).

Im 24. I completed my degree in May 2011 and only have experience post grad in Australia on the 457. So approx. 15 months. I'd like to get off the 457 visa and onto PR as soon as I'm eligible. At this point i'm not sure when that is. Does anyone know at what point I might be able to apply? I'm a Mine Surveyor.

Thanks.

There's no requirement to spend any length of time on a 457 before PR. You can apply for PR now via either the ENS or skillselect if you qualify.
    Two years on a 457 with the employer simply allows you to skip the skills assessment.

Mellor wrote: »

There's no requirement to spend any length of time on a 457 before PR. You can apply for PR now via either the ENS or skillselect if you qualify.
    Two years on a 457 with the employer simply allows you to skip the skills assessment.

Isnt there a 3 year post grad requirement for the skillselect or has that stopped since the changes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Hi Folks,

I'd just like to review my credentials for such visas

Btech in Electronics Manufacturing
    Post Grad Dip in Environmental
    Post Grad Dip in Quality Management
    Post Grad Cert in Health & Safety
    > 12 years Quality/Production Engineering in manufacturing
    > 8 years EHS experience

Age 38

Wife is legal exec with Diploma in Legal Studies.

Am I in line for skilled migration?

Thanks (And great thread)

Isnt there a 3 year post grad requirement for the skillselect or has that stopped since the changes?
    There's a couple of requirements for skillselect, I did say "if you qualify". Otherwise there's the ENS I mentioned. Which is the same route as when you have 2 years on a 457. There's nothing stopping you doing it now.

Mellor wrote: »
    There's a couple of requirements for skillselect, I did say "if you qualify". Otherwise there's the ENS I mentioned. Which is the same route as when you have 2 years on a 457. There's nothing stopping you doing it now.

2 years with same company no??

• Advertisement

2 years with same company no??
    You can apply via ENS anytime. After any length of time on a 457, or even if you've never been on a 457 in fact.

If you've been 2 years with the same company on a 457 you can skip a skills assessment but everything else is the same. You still need to go through all the same ENS process. If you want to get PR asap, Then getting a skills assessment will mean you don't gave to wait 1.5 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

Hi all im currently in australia on my second year working holiday visa it expires in 5 weeks time.I spent 4 months at home between my first and second year working holiday visas.Im a qualified electrician and all together have worked 10 months in my trade during the 24 months.

Im just wondering could someone advise me on what the best skillselect visa is to apply for as i see now there is 8 diffrent types!

Id like to apply for a skilled migrant visa

what does this involve waiting times, application process etc

Id be very grateful if someone could give me some advice

Thanks

Hi guys,

Just to note that the minimum of 12 months requirement is removed now forthe visa application. It still remains however for some assessing bodies. Urban Planners however are assessed by Vetassess and do NOT require to meet this minimum 12 month requirement.

Hopefully this is the news you want to hear.

Regards,
    Declan

Just wanted to thank both Declan and Zambia for your advise. Perhaps Declan could tell me if the case is similar for Cartographer?

PS That is the kind of news I like to hear!

Regards,

Operator
    :D

Hi Operator,

Always glad to help.

Yes Cartographers are in the same boat - there is not a requirement for a minimum amount of work experience for you.

Regards,
    Declan
    Operator wrote: »
    Just wanted to thank both Declan and Zambia for your advise. Perhaps Declan could tell me if the case is similar for Cartographer?

PS That is the kind of news I like to hear!

Regards,

Operator
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bwcallaghan

Hi ,

Great Thread , just a quick question

I am intending on going out to Australia on a WHV in the coming weeks to see what the job situation is like and then applying for Skilled Migrant Visa while I am out there to show employers I am serious about working.

My question is related to the fact that my passport has less than 18 months left , do you think this would be a problem with regard to getting a Skilled Visa (ie should I apply for new passport before I leave) or can visas be switched across passport quite easily.

I intend to probably come back to Ireland at Christmas for a week or two but I don't want to be in a situation in March where I am applying for the Skilled Visa from there and need to return to Ireland to get a new passport.

Anyone have an idea on this?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

You don't need to return to Ireland to renew your passport, the embassy here will handle it, even though they actually get the new one from Dublin.

The new passport can be put on the visa easily, however for a skilled visa you need a certain amount of time left on the passport when applying. I can't remember if its 6 or 12 months.

If I was you I would start getting my crap together for the skilled visa now before I left Ireland, stuff like Garda checks, etc.

Realistically, the timescale from the moment you decide you are going for a migrant visa up to the submission time is at least two months, and that's ambitious. Takes a long time to research visa options and decide which suits you best, and then you get onto compiling the docs required. And if they have to be posted frm Ireland...

Hi BWCallaghan

Your visa can be switched across passport. That isn't an issue.

But - there may be documents you need to get for a skilled visa application from this side so it may be no harm to start gathering these before leaving.

Thanks Declan

Hi ,

Great Thread , just a quick question

I am intending on going out to Australia on a WHV in the coming weeks to see what the job situation is like and then applying for Skilled Migrant Visa while I am out there to show employers I am serious about working.

My question is related to the fact that my passport has less than 18 months left , do you think this would be a problem with regard to getting a Skilled Visa (ie should I apply for new passport before I leave) or can visas be switched across passport quite easily.

I intend to probably come back to Ireland at Christmas for a week or two but I don't want to be in a situation in March where I am applying for the Skilled Visa from there and need to return to Ireland to get a new passport.

Anyone have an idea on this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bwcallaghan

Cheers,

I think I am going to get the new passport now just to save on the hassle anyway since the WHV should hopefully only take 48 hours to process (no chest xray I am hoping since I am not going to work in Health Care)

I have documents organised for the Visa (IELTS , skills assessment etc) and have a Garda Check done , will just need to complete a medical for the visa which I will do while out there.

Thanks for the help again,
    Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

hey

for a pr visa, what is the best one to transition from a 457 visa if you want to do it without having to get your employer to put you through after two years? i have a degree etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

niva*sis wrote: »
    hey

for a pr visa, what is the best one to transition from a 457 visa if you want to do it without having to get your employer to put you through after two years? i have a degree etc...
    How many options did the visa wizard give you?

Advertisement