Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

it gave me the 189 option only thing that throws me slightly off is
    "This is a permanent visa for skilled workers who are not sponsored by a state or territory government, employer or family member"
    But i am sponsored by my employer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

That's a new curved ball. What about the 190?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Hi Niva*sis,

Probably the best one to go for would be the state sponsored migration visa subclass 190. The state sponsors you so you are required to live and work in the nominated state for the first 2 years but you can work for whatever employer you wish.

Regards,
    Declan
    niva*sis wrote: »
    hey

for a pr visa, what is the best one to transition from a 457 visa if you want to do it without having to get your employer to put you through after two years? i have a degree etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

With the company that i work with at present they have an office in Darwin also, i am located in our perth office, so if i go for the 190 visa and the employer that im with at the moment would like me to go to darwin for days here and there would that not cause a conflict with this visa?

Also if you are on a 457 and you begin to apply through skills select if you EOI is not accepted does this interfere with your current Visa.
    EG, if you are not accepted for the EOI will this cause implications if you want to apply for a diff visa down the line?

Also what happens if your occupation is on the CSOL but not the SOL for example i am sponsored under database administrator!
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,506 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hey

for a pr visa, what is the best one to transition from a 457 visa if you want to do it without having to get your employer to put you through after two years? i have a degree etc...

You don't have to wait 2 years for an ENS if you get a skills assessment.
    it gave me the 189 option only thing that throws me slightly off is
    "This is a permanent visa for skilled workers who are not sponsored by a state or territory government, employer or family member"
    But i am sponsored by my employer
    I think you misunderstood that line. It doesn't mean you can't apply if you are currently sponsored. Your current visa is irrelevant.

That line means that the 189 is an independent visa, ie the 189 is not a sponsored visa, as opposed to the 190 (state sponsored) or the 186 (employer sponsored)
    With the company that i work with at present they have an office in Darwin also, i am located in our perth office, so if i go for the 190 visa and the employer that im with at the moment would like me to go to darwin for days here and there would that not cause a conflict with this visa?

Also if you are on a 457 and you begin to apply through skills select if you EOI is not accepted does this interfere with your current Visa.
    EG, if you are not accepted for the EOI will this cause implications if you want to apply for a diff visa down the line?

Also what happens if your occupation is on the CSOL but not the SOL for example i am sponsored under database administrator!
    Thanks

If you are planning on continuing to work for the company. Why don't you want to go with a 186/Employer Nominated Sponsorship (ENS). You are not tied to the state, to the company, it's essentially independent PR, plus you can apply under the additional jobs on the CSOL.

I've a feeling you were under the impression that for a ENS, you had to wait 2 years before the employer put you forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Clubman2012

I'm completely confused by the whole process. Myself and my partner are looking for an adventure. I'm finished a Finance and Accounting degree in April and have 6 years experience in Financial Services, 26 years old. My partner is a qualified nurse and is 24. What are our options? We would like to save a bit and ease in but would plan on working and contributing while hopeflly enjoying a new lifestyle and have a great time.

Can anyone give me a bit of advice, or some pointers? Is it possible and are there decent job opportunities available in OZ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

This is probably a stupid question

But if i went over on a skilled migration visa (in an interview process atm)? i assume the most my gf who would be coming with me could get would be a 1 year holiday visa? Once that one year is up could anything be done for her to stay?

But if i went over on a skilled migration visa (in an interview process atm)? i assume the most my gf who would be coming with me could get would be a 1 year holiday visa? Once that one year is up could anything be done for her to stay?

If you have evidence that you and your girlfriend are in a genuine and ongoing relationship (defacto relationsip) then she can be included on your skilled migration visa application and she also gets PR.

If you have not been living together or have not been keeping evidence of your relationship, then you should start this immediately. She can go out on the WHV and then after you have 12 months evidence, we can get her included on the PR visa if the decision is not made already or else get a defacto visa for her on the back of your PR visa.

Hope that helps.
    Declan Clune
    naughtb4 wrote: »

If you have evidence that you and your girlfriend are in a genuine and ongoing relationship (defacto relationsip) then she can be included on your skilled migration visa application and she also gets PR.

If you have not been living together or have not been keeping evidence of your relationship, then you should start this immediately. She can go out on the WHV and then after you have 12 months evidence, we can get her included on the PR visa if the decision is not made already or else get a defacto visa for her on the back of your PR visa.

Hope that helps.
    Declan Clune

Thanks mate, perfect reply :)

Ina relationship for 2.5 years and living together at present so should be all good. She is a hoarder so we have lots of evidence of various kinds :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could give some advice. Heading to perth on 457 visa in march with my partner.

I asked employer to nominate for permanent visa they said no. I have completed skills assessment so we have a total of 55 points (see attached), which will change to 60 points in june because i will be working 8 years.

I want to have security of a permanent visa so the options are the 189 or 190. At present I have the option of partner skills, ielts, to get my points up to 60, or i can apply for state nomination. My occupation is on the WASMOL on Schedule 2 (off list), my partners is on the available wasmol list. We have no problem staying in wa.

1. 190 visa - Is it likely that WA will sponsor me, if I already have a job and my partner already has skills(not assessed)? Don't want to waste money if they don't, because i am on schedule 2.
    2. 189 visa - Should i just wait till june, then i will have 60 points?
    3. 189 visa - Is it likely to be invited to apply for visa, if we only have the minimum points?
    4. Tax/pension etc: We are flying home December 2013, would it be financially beneficial to stay on 457 till then, and activate permanent visa in jan 2014 when we return?

any advice would be appreciated.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lellybelle24

I'm completely confused by the whole process. Myself and my partner are looking for an adventure. I'm finished a Finance and Accounting degree in April and have 6 years experience in Financial Services, 26 years old. My partner is a qualified nurse and is 24. What are our options? We would like to save a bit and ease in but would plan on working and contributing while hopeflly enjoying a new lifestyle and have a great time.

Can anyone give me a bit of advice, or some pointers? Is it possible and are there decent job opportunities available in OZ?

Just go on a working holiday visa, perfect for an adventure. There is no point in applying for long term visas when you haven't been to Australia, one year out there might be enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annemar23

Hello
    I am travelling to Australia with my boyfriend next month. I have a permanent residency visa (Skilled nominated subclass 190) and he is on a 2nd year WHV. We will be looking to add him to my visa as my defacto spouse in the next few months and I just have a question about proving we have been living together. We have a “lease” but it’s not very official looking and we will have one utility bill in both our names but this will not be back dated to when we moved in together. I wanted to ask our landlady to write a letter stating we have both been renting since x date as proof we have been living together. Will this be sufficient? I am just wondering would such a letter need to be in the form of a statutory declaration and witnessed by solicitor etc for it to be valid? I realize other evidence will be required too but I am hoping to sort this part out with the landlady before we leave.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

annemar23 wrote: »
    Hello
    I am travelling to Australia with my boyfriend next month. I have a permanent residency visa (Skilled nominated subclass 190) and he is on a 2nd year WHV. We will be looking to add him to my visa as my defacto spouse in the next few months and I just have a question about proving we have been living together. We have a “lease” but it’s not very official looking and we will have one utility bill in both our names but this will not be back dated to when we moved in together. I wanted to ask our landlady to write a letter stating we have both been renting since x date as proof we have been living together. Will this be sufficient? I am just wondering would such a letter need to be in the form of a statutory declaration and witnessed by solicitor etc for it to be valid? I realize other evidence will be required too but I am hoping to sort this part out with the landlady before we leave.
    Thanks

get all the above. open a joint bank account when you get here. any flights you guys took together, include the booking confirmation. i dont think the landlord letter needs to be a stat dec but no harm if it is, we included the same letter and it wasnt, in fact we didnt include any stat decs. just throw in anything you think will be helpful. we put in so much stuff i'd say they only looked at half of it. event invitations with both your names on it like a wedding invite, all that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Not for Long

Hey there,

Just got my ielts test results back, they are as follows:

Listening 8
    Reading 9
    Writing 7.5
    Speaking 9

I need an 8 in each category for my visa. I have been told that I can re-sit the writing section on its own but is it okay to have the results on two separate sheets with no overall band score? Has anyone come across anything like this before?

any advice is much appreciated

Hi Not for Long,

I don't believe that you can combine the results from two separate tests for the purpose of points for an Australian visa. It is the individual scores from each subject ina single test that count - not the overall score or combinations of scores between tests.

Hope that helps,
    Declan
    Hey there,

Listening 8
    Reading 9
    Writing 7.5
    Speaking 9

I need an 8 in each category for my visa. I have been told that I can re-sit the writing section on its own but is it okay to have the results on two separate sheets with no overall band score? Has anyone come across anything like this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

hi all i am currently living in Ireland,i have bein to oz in 08/09 an used up my working holiday visa,i have over 10 years experience as a painter and construction experience,i have'nt got steady work since i came back from oz,i dont qualify for a skill visa an now i am seriously considering going to oz on a 3 month holiday visa an hoping to find a sponsor,at this stage i m just desperate to get out of here an back down under,am i taking a huge gamble on finding a sponsor?? any advice on what i could do or contacts on finding work,im open to any suggestions,i plan my move in september or earlier if a job arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lellybelle24

candycock wrote: »
    hi all i am currently living in Ireland,i have bein to oz in 08/09 an used up my working holiday visa,i have over 10 years experience as a painter and construction experience,i have'nt got steady work since i came back from oz,i dont qualify for a skill visa an now i am seriously considering going to oz on a 3 month holiday visa an hoping to find a sponsor,at this stage i m just desperate to get out of here an back down under,am i taking a huge gamble on finding a sponsor?? any advice on what i could do or contacts on finding work,im open to any suggestions,i plan my move in september or earlier if a job arises.

There's an awful lot of people in similar situations, the very best of luck to you! One thing I wanted to ask when I read your post is are you aware you need to have some sort of qualification to get sponsored? The company has to prove that there is no Aussie available to do the job and so you will need a piece of paper to be in with a chance of getting sponsored. I met a couple of people out there that were doing evening courses in order to get sponsorship. I also met people out there on tourist visas looking to get sponsored. It is completely against the rules but people are chancing it. Hope you get back there and that it works out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

candycock wrote: »

Have you any contacts from the last time you were there that you can approach about sponsorship? PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annor99

Hi Randy,

Our fee is EUR 2500 (approx AUD 3150).
    Then as with National Visas - immigration fees, assessment fees, medicals etc apply separately.

Hope that helps.
    Declan

Hi Declan

Just to clarify your post about the 12 months change. Is that got to do with proving having worked in your occupation for at least 12 out of the last 24? My partner is a plumber. We are currently in Canada. We came here last september as my partner could not prove the 12 month requirement for Australia. He was short one month. The dream is to return to Australia if we could. We would be applying for the subclass 189.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi
    Just looking for any tips on applying for the subclass visa 189. Ive looked into it a bit now and I reckon my partner who has five years plumbing experience plus qualification should qualify.
    Im unsure now how to proceed. What should our first step be. Should he get his skills assessed first or does he need to create an accouny with skills select. Ive read he should get his skills assessed before lodging our EOI. Is this true and is the skills select how you lodge this. Also we are living in canada at the moment so will we have any problems gettting his skills assessed or am I right in thinking the assesment is now mostly paper so he wont need to travel. My final query is about the english language assesment. With him being a fluent english speaker does he still need to do the test to get the points. Where do people do this test usually.
    Any advice or tips greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

annor99 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just looking for any tips on applying for the subclass visa 189. Ive looked into it a bit now and I reckon my partner who has five years plumbing experience plus qualification should qualify.
    Im unsure now how to proceed. What should our first step be. Should he get his skills assessed first or does he need to create an accouny with skills select. Ive read he should get his skills assessed before lodging our EOI. Is this true and is the skills select how you lodge this. Also we are living in canada at the moment so will we have any problems gettting his skills assessed or am I right in thinking the assesment is now mostly paper so he wont need to travel. My final query is about the english language assesment. With him being a fluent english speaker does he still need to do the test to get the points. Where do people do this test usually.
    Any advice or tips greatly appreciated.

Start with a and proceed one step at a time.

a) Honestly self assess your points as you need 60 points.
    b) Get a skills assessment
    c) If required take IELTS to get extra points *
    d) Register EOI
    e) Wait for to be invited to apply
    f) Lodge visa application (also pay for visa)
    g) When asked obtain PCC and Medicals

* Irish passport is worth IELTS 6.0 which is the minimum for migration but it attracts 0 points

IELTS 7.0 across all bands is 10 points
    IELTS 8.0 across all bands is 20 points

Thanks Mandrake

Appreciate the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Siobhan_d13

I'm a bit reluctant to ask my question, but if its already been answered I'd appreciate if someone could send me in the right direction.

We're in Australia, been here 1.5 years on a WHV, partner just found out his employer (whom he loves) can't sponsor him (uncertainty about future of business etc) so we've been looking into the state nominated skilled visa (subclass 190.) Cabinetmaker is on the VIC skills list and 5 years experience is required. So my partner has 11 years experience in cabinetmaking, but never finished the FAS qualification. I've scoured the Internet, all the relevant websites, and I can't find any information on whether his experience will compensate for lack of experience, if VETASSESS is the place to go for his skills assessment, which assessment is relevant on VETASSESS as obviously it's not for a 457, or even if we can even apply and if we'll be moving somewhere else soon!

Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Hey there,

Listening 8
    Reading 9
    Writing 7.5
    Speaking 9

Hi,
    You must score an 8 across all bands on the same test script to get 20 points. You cannot combine results from different sittings of the test.
    I've been there and feel your pain/frustration! You could try to appeal your writing result, but given cost and time taken to appeal, probably better to resit.

Re, writing test, make sure you give reasons for both side of argument, and give at least one example for each side of argument. Think of it as a box ticking exercise rather than an essay...

Good luck!!

Hi Annor99,

the 12/24 month requirement is removed from DIAC's requirments. However some assessing bodies such as TRA still have this requirement in place. As an Irish plumber, you would be assessed by Vetassess so you do not need to show the 12/24 months work experience now.
    However, the more work experience you can show within the last 10 years, the more points you score towards your EOI.

Hope that helps,
    Declan
    annor99 wrote: »
    Hi Declan

Just to clarify your post about the 12 months change. Is that got to do with proving having worked in your occupation for at least 12 out of the last 24? My partner is a plumber. We are currently in Canada. We came here last september as my partner could not prove the 12 month requirement for Australia. He was short one month. The dream is to return to Australia if we could. We would be applying for the subclass 189.

Thanks

HI Siobhan,

Cabinet makers are assessed by TRA rather than Vetassess so he would need to get trade papers if you are looking to get assessed for that occupation.

There are RPL courses which cost approx AUD 3000 which he can do that will give him an AQF Cert III and this will enable him to proceed with his previous work experience through TRA.

Hope that helps,
    Declan
    I'm a bit reluctant to ask my question, but if its already been answered I'd appreciate if someone could send me in the right direction.

We're in Australia, been here 1.5 years on a WHV, partner just found out his employer (whom he loves) can't sponsor him (uncertainty about future of business etc) so we've been looking into the state nominated skilled visa (subclass 190.) Cabinetmaker is on the VIC skills list and 5 years experience is required. So my partner has 11 years experience in cabinetmaking, but never finished the FAS qualification. I've scoured the Internet, all the relevant websites, and I can't find any information on whether his experience will compensate for lack of experience, if VETASSESS is the place to go for his skills assessment, which assessment is relevant on VETASSESS as obviously it's not for a 457, or even if we can even apply and if we'll be moving somewhere else soon!

Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Hi All,

Myself and my partner are in the process of considering putting in an EOI for the 189.
    I just wanted to ask what proof/records did everyone use to back up their skill? Was it just references from previous employers or was there any additional material you sumbitted when you got your invitation to apply? I just want to know exactly what we need before we even consider putting in an EOI as a lot of this stuff will have to be traced from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PatFran96

Hi All,

Great thread, have been thinking of applying for the skilled visa with state sponsorship and have been following this thread and have got lots of useful info.

Just a quick one someone may be able to answer for me? I am an accountant with 5 years experience, however in the past 18 months I have been travelling/living abroad and therefore my work experience has been split into short term contracts, and in different types of accounting roles some of which has been in external audit and some of which has been in internal audit, and wondering if this will be a problem with the skills assessment, as I note that these are two seperate codes on the skills list? I meet the requirement of having been working at least 12 of the past 24 months but say not in one role for 12 months which could be matched up with one of the skills list.

Hope all this makes sense - any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

PatFran96 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Great thread, have been thinking of applying for the skilled visa with state sponsorship and have been following this thread and have got lots of useful info.

Just a quick one someone may be able to answer for me? I am an accountant with 5 years experience, however in the past 18 months I have been travelling/living abroad and therefore my work experience has been split into short term contracts, and in different types of accounting roles some of which has been in external audit and some of which has been in internal audit, and wondering if this will be a problem with the skills assessment, as I note that these are two seperate codes on the skills list? I meet the requirement of having been working at least 12 of the past 24 months but say not in one role for 12 months which could be matched up with one of the skills list.

Hope all this makes sense - any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

I've been researching this visa recently and I don't think that 12 months thing applies anymore on the 189/190. I think that was only for the old visas pre 1 July 2012. Open to correction of course!

Advertisement