Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Hi Fernando,

You are right the 12 months requirement is gone for DIAC purposes but some assessing bodies still apply this for the assessment requirement.

Thanks Declan
    I've been researching this visa recently and I don't think that 12 months thing applies anymore on the 189/190. I think that was only for the old visas pre 1 July 2012. Open to correction of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Have you any contacts from the last time you were there that you can approach about sponsorship? PM sent

hi thanks for your reply,no i dont have any contacts from the last time however im goin to have to take the risk at this stage on the hoilday visa because i was just informed my contract at work is up in september and it wont be renewed due to the company downsizing,so i dont intend to go back on the dole cue here and the fact most of my friends are out there,so all i can do is go out there an hope that someone see's potential in me and agree's to sponsor me

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

There's an awful lot of people in similar situations, the very best of luck to you! One thing I wanted to ask when I read your post is are you aware you need to have some sort of qualification to get sponsored? The company has to prove that there is no Aussie available to do the job and so you will need a piece of paper to be in with a chance of getting sponsored. I met a couple of people out there that were doing evening courses in order to get sponsorship. I also met people out there on tourist visas looking to get sponsored. It is completely against the rules but people are chancing it. Hope you get back there and that it works out

the only qualification i have is a certificate in occupational safety and health from UCD,,but i dont think its goin to be much of a help in Oz as i've no experience in that area to back it up.I would be open to studying again on a partime basis but my main goal would be fultime employment,i dont even no where to start looking at courses or how to enrole,its going to be quiet difficult to get someone to sponsor me but i have to take a risk because all im facing is the dole again:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Siobhan_d13

HI Siobhan,

Cabinet makers are assessed by TRA rather than Vetassess so he would need to get trade papers if you are looking to get assessed for that occupation.

There are RPL courses which cost approx AUD 3000 which he can do that will give him an AQF Cert III and this will enable him to proceed with his previous work experience through TRA.

Hope that helps,
    Declan

Thanks a lot Declan; finally a definitive answer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I have a seemingly simple question which I can't seem to find a definitive answer for. If you go with the Skilled Independent Visa 189 can you work in any occupation, anywhere in Australia? i.e do you have to work in the exact profession that you got assessed for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I have a seemingly simple question which I can't seem to find a definitive answer for. If you go with the Skilled Independent Visa 189 can you work in any occupation, anywhere in Australia? i.e do you have to work in the exact profession that you got assessed for?

Any job, any where.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

Hi ever one just said id share my experience
    I was nominated by my employer for 1186/856 permanent residency on November 12th 2012
    Received a case Officer on Febuary 12th and got granted PR on 6th march

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Operator

Can anyone tell me if there is another skills assessment after you complete the skills assessment for the points test? That is to say, having successfully completed the points test, lodged an EOI, and being invited to apply; is there another skills assessment or does the original assessment for the points test apply?

Thanks,

Operator

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Operator wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there is another skills assessment after you complete the skills assessment for the points test? That is to say, having successfully completed the points test, lodged an EOI, and being invited to apply; is there another skills assessment or does the original assessment for the points test apply?

Thanks,

Operator

Have you actually got a positive skills assessment letter from the assessing body?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Operator

No, I applied in january, vetassess confirmed receipt of documents on the 31st January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 nobodyspecial

Hi all,

quick question, sorry if it's been covered here before: if you get permanent residency through the skilled migrant visa class, as say a plumber, when you arrive can you just get a job as something else? You see the reason I am asking is that as a time served plumber that is fully qualified to do domestic and commercial gas over here I believe that once I arrive in OZ my qualifications count for diddly squat ( had the same thing in new zealand, had to work "supervised" by a guy that had not a clue what he was doing) - is this assumption correct?

I fully accept that it is not going to be easy to be a plumber over there so am more than happy to diversify and do something else if that is permitted.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

It's one of the most common questions on here. Once you're a PR you can work in any discipline in any state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nobodyspecial

irishmover wrote: »
    It's one of the most common questions on here. Once you're a PR you can work in any discipline in any state.

Thanks for the response, so essentially get the visa through current skill set and get any job that pays the same or better and cut out all the hassle of trying to be a plumber there?!?!? Seems odd, but as I say, after living/working in NZ I was expecting it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Thanks for the response, so essentially get the visa through current skill set and get any job that pays the same or better and cut out all the hassle of trying to be a plumber there?!?!? Seems odd, but as I say, after living/working in NZ I was expecting it. :)

Yup. Pass the skills assessment and the rigmarole of getting the visa and then you're free to do as you wish. Apart from anything illegal ofcourse!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Not for Long

Hi all,

Just got the IELTS results I was after- it took two attempts [didn’t reach my mark by 0.5 first time]. My advice to others would be to focus on specific study material as there is a lot out there and its easy misinterpret exactly what they are after. For the listening, reading & speaking I used nothing but past papers for practice and found this to be effective. For the writing they are after a particular format [my creative writing style didn’t cut it the first time:] - I found this website the best for guidance on this.

http://ielts-simon.com/ielts-help-and-english-pr/ielts-general-writing/

As long as you focus on this and ignore the tonnes of stuff on the Internet it should be alright, as an English speaker, to get what you need.

Also, I am now looking for a migrant agent to process my skilled migrant visa and am in the process of getting some quotes. If anyone can recommend some agents it would be much appreciated? - My case is relative straight forward and I’ll probably go with whoever I feel most comfortable with. One other question- if I fail my skills assessment can i cut my losses at that stage in the application or is the agent paid in a lump sum? I imagine it is a series of staged payments but I just want to confirm this is the case? im sure people have been declined this visa in the past and i want to weigh up the risks.

Is there a ballpark figure for the cost of a skilled migrant visa application [including agent fees]? I know it’s not going to be cheap but just want to make sure I don’t get fleeced! Also, Ive heard processing times range from a few weeks up to 12 months??

Any advice is much appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

One other question- if I fail my skills assessment can i cut my losses at that stage in the application or is the agent paid in a lump sum? I imagine it is a series of staged payments but I just want to confirm this is the case? im sure people have been declined this visa in the past and i want to weigh up the risks.

The skills assessment is a separate process, you can do it do before you apply for the visa, and before you hire an agent

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Not for Long

thanks for that!

Ive been quoted $6000 AUD [agents fee only]... $2000 for each part of the application...

Might have to do the skill assess myself and save $2000- does the Agent really do any more then just put the paperwork through? I wouldnt mind if there was a distinct advantage of using the agent for the skill assess but there doesnt seem much point in me handing over the paperwork and then the agent simply passes it over to be assessed?

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnkerry

Where did you get past papers? I can find any

• Registered Users Posts: 12 birthmother

We are in the process for applying for a PR, we have done the skills access ourselves. We were sent it to the ACS for an I.T. accessment.It was very straight forward you just need all your qualifications, passport and letter from employer detailing the work you do. All the information is on their website and how to apply. It can take up to eight weeks and costs $450 AD. Better then €2000

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

Hi Guys, I just a few questions..

I was on a 457 up until last week when I got made redundant from the engineering company I was working for.

They are letting DIAC know this Friday so I will have 28 days from then to find a new employer willing to take over my 457 sponsorship, correct? I have heard they extend this if you can show that you are actively looking for another employer?

I have been looking into PR, for me I think I would have to go for subclass 190 rather that the 189 so that I would have enough points to apply.

How much does this cost through an agent and what time scale would it be from applying for a skills assessment? Would I be placed on a bridging visa where I would be unable to work until a decision had been made?

If you go through an agent do you still pay in full even if the visa application is unsuccessful?

Also in the points system, can you only use one of you qualifications for points? For example I have a Beng Hons degree in mechanical engineering as well as a bachelor in manufacturing engineering, can i only select one of these for points?

Another quick one, in these 28 days i have to find a new sponsor am i eligible to work for example a recruitment agency laboring just to keep some money coming in?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

tower08 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I just a few questions..

I was on a 457 up until last week when I got made redundant from the engineering company I was working for.

They are letting DIAC know this Friday so I will have 28 days from then to find a new employer willing to take over my 457 sponsorship, correct? I have heard they extend this if you can show that you are actively looking for another employer?

I have heard that DIAC a flexible enough on this if they believe you have a good a good chance of find a job ie. you have an occupation in demand.

I have been looking into PR, for me I think I would have to go for subclass 190 rather that the 189 so that I would have enough points to apply.

How much does this cost through an agent and what time scale would it be from applying for a skills assessment? Would I be placed on a bridging visa where I would be unable to work until a decision had been made?

You can get a bridging visa for a 189 or 190 if lodge an application, you can only lodge an application if you have been invited.

1, Get skills assessment, IELTS, etc
    2, Register your Expression of Instrest.
    3, Wait for invite
    4, Once invited lodge and pay for application. At this point you get a bridging visa.

If you go through an agent do you still pay in full even if the visa application is unsuccessful?

You pay the VAC (Visa application charge) in full, no refunds if you are unsuccessful DIAC keep your $3000.

Agents make their own rules, maybe get one with a No Success No fee or only keep 50%.

Any MARA agent worth their salt won't take you on unless you have a chance of success, but if you fail for some unforeseen reason ie. medical reason then they still did the work for you and earned your fee.

Also in the points system, can you only use one of you qualifications for points? For example I have a Beng Hons degree in mechanical engineering as well as a bachelor in manufacturing engineering, can i only select one of these for points?

You would pick either the one of most value or the one most suited to your occupation/Experience.

Another quick one, in these 28 days i have to find a new sponsor am i eligible to work for example a recruitment agency laboring just to keep some money coming in?

You can only work for your 457 sponsor, that's why employers by law have to pay for your flights home as you are your ex-employers obligation if you work for someone else like an agency they could claim your new employer is responsible.

You have to wait until a new 457 nomination is approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

Thanks for the response madrake, much appreciated!
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    I have heard that DIAC a flexible enough on this if they believe you have a good a good chance of find a job ie. you have an occupation in demand.

You can get a bridging visa for a 189 or 190 if lodge an application, you can only lodge an application if you have been invited.

1, Get skills assessment, IELTS, etc
    2, Register your Expression of Instrest.
    3, Wait for invite
    4, Once invited lodge and pay for application. At this point you get a bridging visa.

On this bridging visa would i be entitled to work?

If not would I be better off living cheap in Asia or flying home until I get an answer on visa application etc. or does it make a difference to the application that I am currently residing in Australia?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You can only work for your 457 sponsor, that's why employers by law have to pay for your flights home as you are your ex-employers obligation if you work for someone else like an agency they could claim your new employer is responsible.

You have to wait until a new 457 nomination is approved.

I was not aware that my employer would be obliged to pay for my flights home if I failed to get another sponsor.. Thanks, I must do some more research on that..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I would imagine so. There are different bridging visas, so worst case scenario you are put on a Bridging visa E where you can't work. you be able to apply for separate work permission, once you have proof that you needed to work to survive, then it would be granted. Takes 5 mins. In my experience, a bank statement, and proof of rent was all that was required. If you have 30k or similar in the bank, they might not agree that you need to work.

Thanks for the response madrake, much appreciated!

Applying for Bridge between one substantive visa to another substantive visa is usually Bridging visa A

You have the same work rights as the substantive visa you are on, unfortunately that visa is a 457 and you are restricted to work for your sponsoring employer only.

But like Mellor says you can apply for unlimited permission to work, but it is DIACs discretion.
    Permission to work
    Generally, the holder of a Bridging visa A, B, C, or E with work
    restrictions can apply on form 1005 Application for a bridging
    visa for another bridging visa with unlimited permission to
    work. To be eligible, you need to demonstrate a ‘compelling
    need to work’, that is:
    • you are in financial hardship; or
    • you have been nominated or sponsored by an employer for
    a substantive visa on skills grounds, and appear to meet the
    requirements for the visa.

Its all here on http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1024i.pdf

But to get that bridging visa you need to make a valid Lodgement, you can only do that if you have successfully registered a EOI and been invited to apply.

Depending on your occupation, the occupation ceiling and your points will determine how long you wait for an invite.

I was not aware that my employer would be obliged to pay for my flights home if I failed to get another sponsor.. Thanks, I must do some more research on that..

Its explained in Booklet 9
    Obligation to pay travel costs to enable sponsored persons to leave Australia
    Sponsors must pay reasonable and necessary travel costs to enable their sponsored workers and their
    family members to leave Australia. This is required providing the costs have been requested in writing by
    the sponsored worker or their family member or the department on their behalf, and the costs have not
    already been paid by the sponsor in accordance with this obligation.
    The costs will be considered reasonable and necessary provided they:
    • include travel from the sponsored persons’ usual place of residence in Australia to the place of
    departure from Australia
    • include travel from Australia to the country (for which the person holds a passport) specified in the
    request to pay travel costs
    • are paid within 30 days of receiving the request, and
    • are for economy class air travel or, where unavailable, a reasonable equivalent.
    How long does this obligation apply for?
    This obligation starts to apply on the day the primary sponsored person is granted a subclass 457 visa,
    unless he or she already holds a subclass 457 visa in which case the obligation starts to apply on the day
    the nomination for the primary sponsored person is approved.Part X – Chapter heading
    16 Temporary Work
    This obligation ends on the earliest of the day:
    • on which a nomination by another sponsor in relation to the primary sponsored person is approved
    • on which the sponsored person is granted a further substantive visa (other than a subclass 457 visa).
    If the primary sponsored person is granted another subclass 457 visa to continue to work for the
    sponsor, the obligation continues, or
    • the sponsored person has left Australia and no longer holds a visa.
    This obligation applies to primary and secondary sponsored persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bundy2013

Hello,
    Great thread - I've been reading it for the best part of a week and looking up things as I go along! Lots of info!

I still have a few questions and wondering if anyone could help me. My partner and I wish to move to Australia, preferably WA, but open to anything really. I am 30 and can still get my WHV if needed and I'm a part qualified accountant. My partner is 34 and an electrician. He has been applying for jobs and trying to secure a sponsor but it is proving very difficult. He even went out to South Australia last year and did a Peer VEET Grade A Wiring Regulations course and has a certificate for that.

1. Which Visa? Some people have suggested that maybe I go out on a WHV, try get sponsored and he could come defacto but really we would prefer to go together is possible. So my first question is what is the main difference between 189 visa and 190 visa and which one should we be going for. I see a lot of people talking about the 190 visa on this thread and see that the 190 visa is nominated by state or territory and 189 is not... What exactly does this mean and would anyone have any advice which one my partner should be aiming for??

2. Skills Assessment. As electrician is on the SOL, it says he has to be assessed by TRA. This is in addition to the Peer VEET he already did yes?? And this can be done through Victoria University?

3. Work Experience. My partner had his own electrician business with his brother for 6/7 years after his apprenticeship. They wrapped this up in 2010 due to lack of work and he only does the odd job and nixer since then. He works mainly in the family pub. So he wouldn't have solid electrician experience or Tax Returns for electrical work in the last three years. Will this be a problem?

I am sorry if any of this has been covered or if I am asking on the right thread. Any information anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Bundy2013 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Great thread - I've been reading it for the best part of a week and looking up things as I go along! Lots of info!

I still have a few questions and wondering if anyone could help me. My partner and I wish to move to Australia, preferably WA, but open to anything really. I am 30 and can still get my WHV if needed and I'm a part qualified accountant. My partner is 34 and an electrician. He has been applying for jobs and trying to secure a sponsor but it is proving very difficult. He even went out to South Australia last year and did a Peer VEET Grade A Wiring Regulations course and has a certificate for that.

1. Which Visa? Some people have suggested that maybe I go out on a WHV, try get sponsored and he could come defacto but really we would prefer to go together is possible. So my first question is what is the main difference between 189 visa and 190 visa and which one should we be going for. I see a lot of people talking about the 190 visa on this thread and see that the 190 visa is nominated by state or territory and 189 is not... What exactly does this mean and would anyone have any advice which one my partner should be aiming for??

2. Skills Assessment. As electrician is on the SOL, it says he has to be assessed by TRA. This is in addition to the Peer VEET he already did yes?? And this can be done through Victoria University?

3. Work Experience. My partner had his own electrician business with his brother for 6/7 years after his apprenticeship. They wrapped this up in 2010 due to lack of work and he only does the odd job and nixer since then. He works mainly in the family pub. So he wouldn't have solid electrician experience or Tax Returns for electrical work in the last three years. Will this be a problem?

I am sorry if any of this has been covered or if I am asking on the right thread. Any information anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

189 is independent skilled migration visa - not tied to a state. The 190 state sponsored migration visa is where you are sponasored by a state. Both give you permanent residency.
    You get points for state sponsorship towards your overall points total.
    The 190 visa requires that you live and work in that state for the first 2 years.

TRA is the overall assessing body, but within this Vetassess or Vic Uni or Future Skills are the options.

Yes this could be a problem
    You do not have to meet a minimum number of years experience for your visa application but in order to get points for work experience not working since 2010 may go against him. A proper assessment of your criteria should be carried out before you go any further with this visa application. You need to ensure that you are eligible.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dallan2000

Hi guys, I know my post isn't really beneficial to the topic in question but I really need some advice.

Very very long story short: I am married to an Australian woman however we have separated (not legally) over a year ago. We have a 3 yr old girl and we have decided to move to Australia as she is very homesick and I don't have much to keep me here.

The problem is that although we are technically still married and could attempt to obtain a spousal visa we have both decided that this is not the best approach. I have no formal qualifications but have been a general manager of bars and clubs for almost 10 years (im 29).

does anyone know where i can start looking (aside from the obvious- immi etc to obtain any type of permanent residency visa as as it stands my wife is taking me to court to get permission to remove my daughter from Ireland and doesn't really care if i come or not, I won the case against her in the family court but she will persist through all courts in order to get the permission to go back to oz with my daughter and i need to be prepared in case that happens

This may sound selfish but there is no way I am letting my daughter leave this country without me but I have agreed to move to Australia if I can qualify for a visa.

Any help off anyone would be greatly appreciated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 imagine_08

Hi lads & Ladies

I hope someone can help me with this query.

I am currently sponsored by my company on a 457 Visa. I am keen to get permanant residency sorted as soon as possible. I have been told that it may be possible for me to apply for a 186 Visa so that I wont have to do the 2 years with my current employer before applying. Is this something that can be done?

I am not too keen about working with this current company. I am with them for 8 months now and I am based in Melbourne.

If anyone can give me some advice about this, i'd be very grateful.

Thanks guys

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

457 Visa to Sponsorship...

It's been covered on here a few times already - and probably a lot better than I'm about to do - but for what it's worth:

You can apply for a 186 visa at any time - the two year requirement just determines what stream you enter into. If you're with your employer over two years on a 457 then this means that you don't have to get a skills assessment as immigration take it that your skills have already been proven, and this is termed the "temporary residence transition stream". If you're with your employer under two years on a 457 then you need a positive skills assessment from whoever your assessing body may be, which is the "direct entry stream".

If you are going the 186 visa route, your employer will ultimately need to sign off on this, so it's not something you can apply for just by yourself, however once the visa is granted you will immediately have permanent residency and will not be tied to your employer.

If you don't want your employer involved at all, and would prefer to do it all independently, then you'll have to go through the whole SkillSelect Expression of Interest route for residency.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 imagine_08

Great stuff. Thanks a million for that. Ill have to look into it a bit further. Im not a tradesman so not sure if I need a skills assessment done? Im currently working in Insurance. Ill check the rest of the thread for more info. Thanks again

Advertisement