Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Yep, doesn't matter if you're a tradesman or work in IT/insurance/whatever, if you don't meet the two year work requirement then you need to provide a positive skills assessment in your nominated occupation and provide evidence of at least three years of relevant work experience.

To find out who does the skills assessment for your particular position, you'd have to find your occupation here http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/ and the details for that occupation will tell you who the assessing body is, e.g. for insurance agent it's listed as vetassess (http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/i/insurance-agent.htm)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

imagine_08 wrote: »
    Great stuff. Thanks a million for that. Ill have to look into it a bit further. Im not a tradesman so not sure if I need a skills assessment done? Im currently working in Insurance. Ill check the rest of the thread for more info. Thanks again

A skills assessment is nothing to do with being a tradesman.
    Its to prove you are qualified in the occupation under which you apply. Otherwise anyone could stick down an in demand job on the application.

You only skip the skills assessment (on a 189 visa only) if you spend two years with the nomination company while on a 457 visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 imagine_08

Thanks guys. That information is a massive help. Do you have any idea of the costs involved? I will be going the application myself and not through an agent.

Also so the process is that I get my skills assessed by the relevant body, Empoyer applys for the nomination then I apply? Is the right? Is there an extra cost for my employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks guys. That information is a massive help. Do you have any idea of the costs involved? I will be going the application myself and not through an agent.

Also so the process is that I get my skills assessed by the relevant body, Empoyer applys for the nomination then I apply? Is the right? Is there an extra cost for my employer?

That's more or else the order.
    The visa costs just over $3k, the employers nomination is $550 or so.
    Plus then what ever a skills assessment costs, will vary depending on assessing body.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Great stuff. Thanks a million for that. Ill have to look into it a bit further. Im not a tradesman so not sure if I need a skills assessment done? Im currently working in Insurance. Ill check the rest of the thread for more info. Thanks again

Hi Sean,

If you are applying for residency then you can consider:

Applying under your employer - require a 2 year job offer from your employer.
    - Employer Nomination Scheme - 186 - You are expected to remain working with your employer for the term of the job but if circumstances change, you can switch employer
    - Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme - 187 You are obligated to remain working with your employer for the term of the job offer otherwise the visa could be cancelled.

Applying under state approval - requires you to live and work in your occupation in your nominated state for the first 2 years
    - State sponsored migration visa - 190

Applying independently - free to live and work anywhere across Australia in your occupation.
    - Independent skilled migration visa - 189

Under all visa options above - you are required to have your skills assessed regardless of your occupation (unless you have worked in your occupation for 2 years in Australia and the most recent 12 months are with the sponsoring employer).

It is hard to give accurate processing timeframes but the visas listed above are ranked in order of highest processing priority with Immigration.

Note also that under the state and independent options you MAY need to sit an English language test to get points for your English language ability - as these visa routes are points based.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other qs.

Declan Clune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 birthmother

Hi Declan,

I'm looking for some information, would it be possoble to pm you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Anyone can PM anyone. Its a side effect of being a Boardsie

• Registered Users Posts: 18 oreilly09

Hi there,

I am hoping someone could answer my query. Thanks in advance.

I have an uncle who is a Aussie citizen. Speaking to him on Skype the other day he suggested that I look into whether or not he can sponsor me. I've studied the relevant website and its appears he can if my occupation is on the skilled migrant list. I noticed solicitor and barrister is on the list. Although I am neither I do have a degree and masters in law. Does this make me eligible or is it irrelevant?

Please note I eligible for the WHV and will go on this initially. Although I am a little concerned that it restricts me from working for an employer for more than 6 months.

On a side note - my father was recently granted aussie residency but from our understanding it counts for little as I am 27- is this correct. Once again thanks in advance :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

You'd need to be a qualified solicitor/barrister I'd imagine and have a certain amount of experience working as one.

cheers torres.........ya i was hoping that wasn't the case but alas! immigration just isnt straight forward eh! cheers again!

• Advertisement

oreilly09 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am hoping someone could answer my query. Thanks in advance.

I have an uncle who is a Aussie citizen. Speaking to him on Skype the other day he suggested that I look into whether or not he can sponsor me. I've studied the relevant website and its appears he can if my occupation is on the skilled migrant list. I noticed solicitor and barrister is on the list. Although I am neither I do have a degree and masters in law. Does this make me eligible or is it irrelevant?

Please note I eligible for the WHV and will go on this initially. Although I am a little concerned that it restricts me from working for an employer for more than 6 months.

On a side note - my father was recently granted aussie residency but from our understanding it counts for little as I am 27- is this correct. Once again thanks in advance :-)

Q1
    Irrelevant - as already advised - you need to be qualified and in order to build up your points - your would need relevant work experience too.

Q2
    You will find casual work but if you find something on the CSOL list - then the 457 sponsorship visa might be an option if you are lucky enough to find an employer that is willing to sponsor you.

Q3
    You are deemed to be independent of your father so you need to be eligible for a visa in your own right. If he has citizenship then there might be a chance - but that would be in a few years before he could apply for that.

Regards
    Declan Clune

Hi Declan,

Thanks for that. It appears the WHV is my only option ! The six month restriction is a bit of a worry but hey thats how it is........up to me to impress the employer. Thanks again.
    Kind Regards
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Operator

Just thought I would update an earlier post: as I previously stated my wife and I are both Gardai, obviously not on the sol, however my wife has a degree in Geography and Economics, so we decided to chance getting the degree assessed by vetassess under the occupation of Cartographer. The time line was:

Application and payment made 10/01/13
    Documents recieved 31/01/13
    Assesment date 09//04/13
    Points test advisory letter recieved today, 16/04/13

The qualification is recognised as comparable to an Australian Bachelor Degree. (15 Points)
    We are within the 30-32 age bracket (30 Points)

DeclanClune and others kindly advised me previously that the 12 month work requirement has ceased to exist, I wonder could anybody warn me of any other difficulities I could encounter before commiting anymore financially. Or does anybody have any advice on continuing with the process?

Operator wrote: »
    Just thought I would update an earlier post: as I previously stated my wife and I are both Gardai, obviously not on the sol, however my wife has a degree in Geography and Economics, so we decided to chance getting the degree assessed by vetassess under the occupation of Cartographer. The time line was:

Application and payment made 10/01/13
    Documents recieved 31/01/13
    Assesment date 09//04/13
    Points test advisory letter recieved today, 16/04/13

The qualification is recognised as comparable to an Australian Bachelor Degree. (15 Points)
    We are within the 30-32 age bracket (30 Points)

DeclanClune and others kindly advised me previously that the 12 month work requirement has ceased to exist, I wonder could anybody warn me of any other difficulities I could encounter before commiting anymore financially. Or does anybody have any advice on continuing with the process?

Hi Operator,

Assuming that you are applying for either the 189 or 190 visa, they are points based so you need to ensure that you will meet the points requirements. Does your partner have work experience as a cartographer? If not, then may be looking at sitting the English language test also.

My advice on this - do practice runs.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

Hi Operator,

Assuming that you are applying for either the 189 or 190 visa, they are points based so you need to ensure that you will meet the points requirements. Does your partner have work experience as a cartographer? If not, then may be looking at sitting the English language test also.

My advice on this - do practice runs.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

Thanks Declan,

No she does not have the experience, I should have stated previously that I (my wife) was banking on getting an average 8+ on the ielts (20 points). That being the case, without the experience, we would score 65 points. Yes particularly 189 visa, I think another 5 points would be availabe for regional sponsored however it is Independent we would prefer.

I suppose my main question is this, will it be possibe to get the visa with 30 points for age, 15 points for degree and 20 points for english test?

Operator wrote: »
    Thanks Declan,

No she does not have the experience, I should have stated previously that I (my wife) was banking on getting an average 8+ on the ielts (20 points). That being the case, without the experience, we would score 65 points. Yes particularly 189 visa, I think another 5 points would be availabe for regional sponsored however it is Independent we would prefer.

Then you need the score of 8 alright if you are going for the 189 visa.
    The processing does take time though so you need to be prepared for that.

Then you need the score of 8 alright if you are going for the 189 visa.
    The processing does take time though so you need to be prepared for that.

Do you have a ball park time frame? Years?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

I need a little help.

I am 26
    I have a master degree in urban and regional planning
    My skill is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL): Schedule 1
    I have 3 months of experience back home and I have 3 months of experience here. I will have all in all over a years experience come november 2012 when my 2nd WHV runs out.
    When i do the points assessment i get 8 so i have enough points.
    Can i sponsor myself on a 189?
    Thanks in advance.

I currently work for a council and i will be working for health/lobby group when my contract finishes with council next month. Would it be worth my while to get a reference from my Bosses stating that i am skilled and competent at my profession and i would be of added value to the workforce if i was given a visa.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bundy2013

My partner is an electrician so will be assessed by TRA. The TRA application states you have to have 12 months experience in the last 24 months which he does not have. Is there any point in sending the rest of the documents in for assessment or is that it then? Does that mean he cannot apply?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

danotroy wrote: »
    I need a little help.

I am 26
    I have a master degree in urban and regional planning
    My skill is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL): Schedule 1
    I have 3 months of experience back home and I have 3 months of experience here. I will have all in all over a years experience come november 2012 when my 2nd WHV runs out.

Is all the experience relevant to the occupation?
    When i do the points assessment i get 8 so i have enough points.

You need at least 60 points for a 189 visa

Can i sponsor myself on a 189?

189 visa is an independent skilled visa, there is no sort of sponsorship involved.

I currently work for a council and i will be working for health/lobby group when my contract finishes with council next month. Would it be worth my while to get a reference from my Bosses stating that i am skilled and competent at my profession and i would be of added value to the workforce if i was given a visa.?

You would probably require a reference from all employers for the skills assessment anyway.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Is all the experience relevant to the occupation?

You need at least 60 points for a 189 visa

189 visa is an independent skilled visa, there is no sort of sponsorship involved.

You would probably require a reference from all employers for the skills assessment anyway.

Yes all work is directly linked to planning.

I get 70 points in the test for the visa.

I use the term sponsor loosely, i mean can i get a a89 based on what ive said. Or at least be able to apply.

Yes all work is directly linked to planning.

I get 70 points in the test for the visa.

I use the term sponsor loosely, i mean can i get a a89 based on what ive said. Or at least be able to apply.

You would need a valid skills assessment first.

What's your breakdown of points BTW? You won't get anything for overseas experience and at best 5 for Australian experience.

25–32 (inclusive) 30
    Superior English—IELTS 8 / OET A 20 I presume I get 20 here. Am i right?
    At least one but less than three years (of past 10 years) 5

At least a Bachelor degree, including a Bachelor degree with Honours or Masters, from an Australian educational institution or other degree of a recognised standard 15[ I have a masters from a UK University.\

Would I be correct in my calculations?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

25–32 (inclusive) 30
    At least one but less than three years (of past 10 years) 5

At least a Bachelor degree, including a Bachelor degree with Honours or Masters, from an Australian educational institution or other degree of a recognised standard 15[ I have a masters from a UK University.\

Would I be correct in my calculations?

You need to have done the IELTS test and got an 8 do get those points (even natural english speakers do not automatically get the points)

Superior English eh! You done the test then?

Legend100 wrote: »
    You need to have done the IELTS test and got an 8 do get those points (even natural english speakers do not automatically get the points)

Okay so i presume i would get 10 in that case that leaves me with 60 points.

Okay so i presume i would get 10 in that case that leaves me with 60 points.

You get 0 points for just the passport, you need to do the test to get 10 points.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You get 0 points for just the passport, you need to do the test to get 10 points.

Well if I was serious about applying I would do the test and I presume that I would receive 10 grade. I don't think I would be proficient enough to get a 20. I did not know there was a test before this conversation.

Well if I was serious about applying I would do the test and I presume that I would receive 10 grade. I don't think I would be proficient enough to get a 20. I did not know there was a test before this conversation.

Well you would probably do the skills assessment first, otherwise it would be a waste doing the English test for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 tpnath

Does anyone know how much the medical (X-ray included) for a 189 visa costs? It seems that there are only two places where this could be done (Mater/Euromedic). What is the turnaround time?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement