Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Well you would probably do the skills assessment first, otherwise it would be a waste doing the English test for nothing.

Agree with Mandrake - getting 8 would be a tall order.
    You will need to do the Skills assessment and the IELTS test if you are planning on going this route.

Sometimes it might be wiser for people to do the IELTS exam first if they are uncertain about achieving the required score. This is less expensive than doing a skills assessment.
    In any event, it takes time to get a test date so the earlier that this is booked the better and while waiting for this you can have the skill assessment application underway so that both come through at the same time.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

HI guys,

Just to advise that anyone who has an occupation that requires an assessment through TRA - the process has been amended this week. There are approx 30 occupations who now have the option to get assessed through Vetassess or TRA.

Those people who held an occupation that had to be assessed through TRA (e.g. chef - see full list below) - these people were required to hold an apprenticeship qualification through FAS / NVQ and have at least 2 years work experience in order to proceed with a skill assessment.

Now however - all of the occupations below can go through Vetassess.
    This is great news for those that do not hold qualifications in their occupation but have at least 5 years of work experience behind them.
    They can now apply for a skilled visa.

Another important change that TRA made was to increase their assessment fees from AUD 300 to AUD 1,000. Note however that Vetassess costs approx AUD 2150 so it is still quite a bit more expensive than TRA but at least it opens the doors to many people who would not have had the option previously because they did not hold an apprenticeship / qualification.

List of occupations eligible to apply through Vetassess for Irish Applicants
    • Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic
    • Automotive Electrician
    • Baker
    • Bricklayer
    • Cabinetmaker
    • Carpenter
    • Carpenter and Joiner
    • Chef
    • Cook
    • Diesel Motor Mechanic
    •• Electrical Linesworker
    • Electrician (General)
    • Electrician (Special Class)
    • Electronic Equipment Trades Worker
    • Fitter (General)
    • Fitter and Turner
    • Fitter-Welder
    • Joiner
    • Metal Fabricator
    • Metal Fitters and Machinists (nec)
    • Metal Machinist (First Class)
    • Motor Mechanic (General)
    • Motorcycle Mechanic
    • Panel Beater
    • Pastrycook
    • Plumber (General)
    • Pressure Welder
    • Sheet Metal Trades Worker
    • Small Engine Mechanic
    • Technical Cable Jointer
    • Toolmaker
    • Vehicle Body Builder
    • Vehicle Painter
    • Welder (First Class)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 birthmother

Hi, just have a question if anyone would have an answer would really be grateful. We are looking into state sponsorship fron the nt, they look for you to have $65,000 for a family of two adults & two children, do you have to have this in cash or can part of it be assets or can a person say they will be able to provide a letter saying they would have funds available to us. Thanks

Hi, just have a question if anyone would have an answer would really be grateful. We are looking into state sponsorship fron the nt, they look for you to have $65,000 for a family of two adults & two children, do you have to have this in cash or can part of it be assets or can a person say they will be able to provide a letter saying they would have funds available to us. Thanks

This depends from state to state - you need to check the NT requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I imagine a letter is no good though. Somebody saying they have money to support you doesn't mean they actually have the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 birthmother

Thanks, the NT requirments is to have 65,000 i was just unsure if this all had to be in the bank or if you have assets like house or car, would that cover some of it, i know you have to have some cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭JR1210

I am hoping to move to Australia on the 189 Professional Visa with my partner and child, was hoping to move through work but can't be waiting for them and getting a visa would make it happen faster

In the charges section there are 2 charges - Visa application charge

1st instalment - 3060 Australian Dollars (AUD3060)
    2nd instalment - 4250 Australian Dollars (AUD4250)

What is the second charge for? If for my partner, would she have to pass an English language test to avoid the cost?

I already have 60 points with experience and a degree... Do I have to pass an English language course before I can apply for the "Expression of interest"?

JR1210 wrote: »
    I am hoping to move to Australia on the 189 Professional Visa with my partner and child, was hoping to move through work but can't be waiting for them and getting a visa would make it happen faster

In the charges section there are 2 charges - Visa application charge

1st instalment - 3060 Australian Dollars (AUD3060)
    2nd instalment - 4250 Australian Dollars (AUD4250)

What is the second charge for? If for my partner, would she have to pass an English language test to avoid the cost?

I already have 60 points with experience and a degree... Do I have to pass an English language course before I can apply for the "Expression of interest"?

Hi JR1210,

If your partner is not from Ireland, UK, USA, Canada, NZ she needs to do the IELTS exam to avoid paying the 2nd installment fee.

You do not automatically get points for your English language ability, you need to prove it through the IELTS exam. If you get the 60 points without counting the English points and you are from one of the countries listed above, then you don't have to do the IELTS exam. However, doing it and scoring 7 will bring you up to 70 points - so your application would be prioritised over other applications.

Any other questions, let me know.

Thanks Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Agree with Mandrake - getting 8 would be a tall order.
    You will need to do the Skills assessment and the IELTS test if you are planning on going this route.

Sometimes it might be wiser for people to do the IELTS exam first if they are uncertain about achieving the required score. This is less expensive than doing a skills assessment.
    In any event, it takes time to get a test date so the earlier that this is booked the better and while waiting for this you can have the skill assessment application underway so that both come through at the same time.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

What about for 186/187 I am aware that the info below pertains to the EOI but if you get 20 points for your passport when submitting the EOI then surely you don't need to take an IELTS exam when submitting your visa application?

Cheers

This information explains the English language factor within the points test and how to claim points in your Expression of Interest (EOI).

When you claim points for this factor in your EOI, and you are invited to apply, you must be able to provide evidence you met the requirements of this factor at the time of invitation. Further information on evidence that you must provide is available in Booklet 6.

English language ability
    You can receive up to 20 points based on your English language ability if you have evidence of proficient or superior English before you are invited to apply. All applicants must meet the threshold English language requirement of Competent English. No points are awarded for Competent English.

You meet Competent English if you:

have an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test result showing a minimum score of 6 in each of the four components of the IELTS test or,
    have an Occupational English Test (OET) attaining a score of at least B in each of the four components of an OET as specified by the Minister or,
    hold a valid passport from, and are a citizen of, one of the following countries:
    the United Kingdom;
    the United States of America;
    Canada;
    the Republic of Ireland; or
    New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

What about for 186/187 I am aware that the info below pertains to the EOI but if you get 20 points for your passport when submitting the EOI then surely you don't need to take an IELTS exam when submitting your visa application?

Cheers

Read your attached link again and look for these points
    No points are awarded for Competent English.

You meet Competent English if you:

hold a valid passport from

the Republic of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Cheers

186/187 are not point based visas, passport is good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mminor

I have a Bachelor Degree in English and History. Do I still need to do the English test to get the 20 points or would my degree suffice?

mminor wrote: »
    I have a Bachelor Degree in English and History. Do I still need to do the English test to get the 20 points or would my degree suffice?

Hi Mminor,

If apply for a points based visa like 189/190, you need to do the IELTS exam to obtain points for your English language ability irrespective of what passport you hold.

Thanks,
    Declan Clune

Hi JR1210,

If your partner is not from Ireland, UK, USA, Canada, NZ she needs to do the IELTS exam to avoid paying the 2nd installment fee.

You do not automatically get points for your English language ability, you need to prove it through the IELTS exam. If you get the 60 points without counting the English points and you are from one of the countries listed above, then you don't have to do the IELTS exam. However, doing it and scoring 7 will bring you up to 70 points - so your application would be prioritised over other applications.

Any other questions, let me know.

Thanks Declan Clune

Thanks Declan

So the aim is to get to as many points as I can? These are my points

Age 30 Points
    Skilled Employment 15 points
    Education 15 points

Is 60 points the minimum for a single applicant or couple? My partner doesn't work but could hopefully get 40 points though age (30) and IELTS (10)

Do you have to prove that you worked in all the jobs? One of the companies I worked for shut down! My current role is 7 years but I have worked over 2 years in other roles which may be hard to prove

So the steps now for me should be English exam for 2 and an ACS skills assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Napolean

Hi Folks,

I lodged an EOI last week and just got an invitation to apply for Skilled - Independent (Subclass 189), pretty happy with the turnaround I have to say. I am a regular follower of this thread but have some specific questions I can't find answers to. If anyone can shed some light, I'd greatly appreciate it:

1) I have been working in Edinburgh for the last 6 months (before that 2yrs in Aus) and have just handed in my notice to move to a role I have secured in mainland Europe. I would like to work in this role for 2/3 yrs. If I get my visa, is there a time limit I have before I have to use/lose it? I spoke with a guy from visafirst before and he advised that I had to fly into Aus to activate after which time I then had circa 4/5 yrs before I had to use/lose it. Can anyone verify this is true?

2) I have moved address a hell of a lot over the last 5/6 years, off the top of my head, including Aus and my next move to Europe, we're talking 10 addresses. Will I have to provide proof of address for each of these for the Guarda clearance?

Many thanks,

Thanks Declan

So the aim is to get to as many points as I can? These are my points

Age 30 Points
    Skilled Employment 15 points
    Education 15 points

Is 60 points the minimum for a single applicant or couple? My partner doesn't work but could hopefully get 40 points though age (30) and IELTS (10)

Do you have to prove that you worked in all the jobs? One of the companies I worked for shut down! My current role is 7 years but I have worked over 2 years in other roles which may be hard to prove

So the steps now for me should be English exam for 2 and an ACS skills assessment

There is one main applicant per application. Other dependent family members or a partner can be included as secondary applicants.

The 60 points is the minimum points required by the main applicant.
    The more points you have, the faster your application will be selected for processing by DIAC. So the more points the better. That being said, once you have 60 points, you are meeting the minimum point requirements.

Only you or else your partner would apply as the main applicant. You cannot combine points from both of you together for an application.

The more years work experience you can prove, the more points you can claim. You will need the English test if you want to claim points and a skills assessment also.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

There is one main applicant per application. Other dependent family members or a partner can be included as secondary applicants.

The 60 points is the minimum points required by the main applicant.
    The more points you have, the faster your application will be selected for processing by DIAC. So the more points the better. That being said, once you have 60 points, you are meeting the minimum point requirements.

Only you or else your partner would apply as the main applicant. You cannot combine points from both of you together for an application.

The more years work experience you can prove, the more points you can claim. You will need the English test if you want to claim points and a skills assessment also.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

Thanks again Declan

Is it best then for me to do the English language course and apply for skills assessment first, then wait for an inviation before sending my partner on the IELTS? She is from Poland so will have to do it if successful

Also if I get rejected for a 189 visa will i have issues then if my company agree for me to transfer to Sydney?

Is there any tips on submitting a skills assessment? Should I bulk up the application and CV?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lellybelle24

Hi guys,

Just a quick query I'm hoping somebody may be able to help me with. I've just received my state sponsorship for WA and am waiting for my invitation to apply for the 190 visa. I thought that the processing time for the visa was about a month or two, but have just seen on the government website that it can take up to 6 months to process. My query is, if I lodge my visa application within the next couple of weeks and then my skill is removed from the SOL list in July for 2013-2014 am I still eligible to receive the visa or would my application be rejected? I'd really appreciate any insights that you may have. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pauge2007

Hey Guys,

I have just submitted my EOI and it got accepted straight away(well my migration lawyer did) and she is looking for proof of work for my time in outside of Australia. Has anyone submitted this before. What is required- Payslips, P60 or tax documents? Any info much aprreciated!

Thanks again Declan

Is it best then for me to do the English language course and apply for skills assessment first, then wait for an inviation before sending my partner on the IELTS? She is from Poland so will have to do it if successful

Also if I get rejected for a 189 visa will i have issues then if my company agree for me to transfer to Sydney?

Is there any tips on submitting a skills assessment? Should I bulk up the application and CV?

Hi JR1210,

You don't want to get a rejection on your passport! Make sure the application is submitted correctly first time around. Otherwise it can create problems when applying for subsequent visas either in Australia or other countries.

On the skills assessment, I would need see what documentation you have to ensure that you meet the criteria in the first place. There aren't tips as such that I can give - it is important that your application stacks up.

Thanks,
    Declan

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Just a quick query I'm hoping somebody may be able to help me with. I've just received my state sponsorship for WA and am waiting for my invitation to apply for the 190 visa. I thought that the processing time for the visa was about a month or two, but have just seen on the government website that it can take up to 6 months to process. My query is, if I lodge my visa application within the next couple of weeks and then my skill is removed from the SOL list in July for 2013-2014 am I still eligible to receive the visa or would my application be rejected? I'd really appreciate any insights that you may have. Thanks a mill.

The law in place that the time of lodgement applies when you submit your application. So if your occupation is removed after your visa application is submitted, then that will not affect your application.

Thanks Declan Clune

The law in place that the time of lodgement applies when you submit your application. So if your occupation is removed after your visa application is submitted, then that will not affect your application.

Thanks Declan Clune

Declan,

Thank you so much for your reply. You have no idea how much of a weight you have lifted off my mind :) that's such great news, I really appreciate your response.

pauge2007 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I have just submitted my EOI and it got accepted straight away(well my migration lawyer did) and she is looking for proof of work for my time in outside of Australia. Has anyone submitted this before. What is required- Payslips, P60 or tax documents? Any info much aprreciated!

Hey Pauge,
    can I just ask what you mean by "it got accepted straight away". Is it that you've been invited to apply for the visa, or that you're at the state sponsorship stage (if you're applying for the 190 visa)?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 My_Sharona

Hey Pauge,
    can I just ask what you mean by "it got accepted straight away". Is it that you've been invited to apply for the visa, or that you're at the state sponsorship stage (if you're applying for the 190 visa)?

Hi,

Once you get your State sponsorship approved you should get invited to apply for your visa. We got our invitation to apply the day after our State sponsorship was confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 My_Sharona

Napolean wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I lodged an EOI last week and just got an invitation to apply for Skilled - Independent (Subclass 189), pretty happy with the turnaround I have to say. I am a regular follower of this thread but have some specific questions I can't find answers to. If anyone can shed some light, I'd greatly appreciate it:

1) I have been working in Edinburgh for the last 6 months (before that 2yrs in Aus) and have just handed in my notice to move to a role I have secured in mainland Europe. I would like to work in this role for 2/3 yrs. If I get my visa, is there a time limit I have before I have to use/lose it? I spoke with a guy from visafirst before and he advised that I had to fly into Aus to activate after which time I then had circa 4/5 yrs before I had to use/lose it. Can anyone verify this is true?

2) I have moved address a hell of a lot over the last 5/6 years, off the top of my head, including Aus and my next move to Europe, we're talking 10 addresses. Will I have to provide proof of address for each of these for the Guarda clearance?

Many thanks,

1) This is correct. You get a date on your visa grant letter which you have to enter Oz by. The date is determined by the date of your police clearance cert or medical. You could visit for a holiday to activate the visa then it is valid for 5 years.

2) You have to provide a police clearance cert for every country you have lived in longer than 12 months for the last 10 years. The cert must be dated within the last 12 months determining the date you have to enter Oz.

Hi Folks,

I spoke with a guy from visafirst before and he advised that I had to fly into Aus to activate after which time I then had circa 4/5 yrs before I had to use/lose it. Can anyone verify this is true?

Many thanks,

I think that was me Napolean !!
    Good luck with the rest of your application.

Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Napolean

Cheers My Sharona, appreciated.

I think it was Chris kane actually Declan. I was just looking for some independent clarification. Thanks a mill, I see all the great info you're providing here.

Can I ask one final question regarding police clearance: I would need this for Aus, Ireland, UK & Germany at least. How would I even begin to go about getting this from non-Ireland countries (on the assumption that the Ireland one is to some degree standardised due to numerous current requests)?

What kind of documents/info would they need to clear me?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sonny1ie

Hi All,

I am currently on my 1st WHV and have not done my farmwork (there is only 3 months left on my visa). I am looking at applying for the 189 or 190 visas; I am a qualified accountant and believe I score 65 on the visa points test. If I was to apply for either of these visas, be offered the invitation to apply, would I be put onto a bridging visa while my application is processed?

Thanks

Cheers My Sharona, appreciated.

I think it was Chris kane actually Declan. I was just looking for some independent clarification. Thanks a mill, I see all the great info you're providing here.

Can I ask one final question regarding police clearance: I would need this for Aus, Ireland, UK & Germany at least. How would I even begin to go about getting this from non-Ireland countries (on the assumption that the Ireland one is to some degree standardised due to numerous current requests)?

What kind of documents/info would they need to clear me?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Napolean,

Check with Chris and he can sort this for you.

thanks
    Declan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 pauge2007

Australia Police Clearance can be done online at www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police.../national-police-checks.aspx

Uk Police Clearance can be done by filling out this form www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx The fee needs to be paid by bank draft in sterling

Advertisement