Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pauge2007

Hey Pauge,
    can I just ask what you mean by "it got accepted straight away". Is it that you've been invited to apply for the visa, or that you're at the state sponsorship stage (if you're applying for the 190 visa)?
    Yes I mean my Invitation to apply was accepted straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pauge2007 wrote: »
    Australia Police Clearance can be done online at www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police.../national-police-checks.aspx

You are missing of of that link (guessing you copied it from a webpage not a browser)

try here
    https://afpnationalpolicechecks.converga.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 25 My_Sharona

Napolean wrote: »
    Cheers My Sharona, appreciated.

I think it was Chris kane actually Declan. I was just looking for some independent clarification. Thanks a mill, I see all the great info you're providing here.

Can I ask one final question regarding police clearance: I would need this for Aus, Ireland, UK & Germany at least. How would I even begin to go about getting this from non-Ireland countries (on the assumption that the Ireland one is to some degree standardised due to numerous current requests)?

What kind of documents/info would they need to clear me?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi I think this is the link for getting the German police clearance (my partner is German).

https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/EN/Topics/citizen_services/BZR/Resident_abroad/Resident_abroad_node.html

I think they always issue the clearance cert in German so you will need to get it translated - we used translation.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Hi

I'm 2 years into a 457.
    My job is on the skills list.

My employer is keen to assist in a skilled migration visa application, but it seems that I'm going to fall foul of some rule-tightening last year - ie, I'm over 50 & there seems to be no exemptions.

My wife may qualify for application as a contract administrator, but not sure on this. She is under 50.

We don't necessarily want to stay on Oz forever, but would like longer than the 2 years left on my 457.

On the 457- can my employer re-apply to sponsor me for a further 4 years? If so, can this be done now, or only at the end of the 4 years?

If my wife applies, should she do so under the employer-sponsored 886 visa?

Or is there another option which I haven't discovered yet?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

Hi guys

I've done some research on this myself but I'm just looking for clarification.

I'm currently here on a WHV 4-5 months into it. Qualified as a chartered accountant in November 2012 and believe I would be eligible to qualify for a Skilled 189 visa based on age (26), work experience (4-5years), level of English and qualifications (Bsc Degree & CA).

I have heard from a few people that accountants are been removed from the list from the 1st July 2013 but as per the link below it shows they will not be? Do i need to apply before then?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/skilled-occupation-list.htm

If invited to apply and you pay over the $3k visa charge what is the likelihood of been accepted? Is it non-refundable?

Also, my girlfriend has all the same criteria as me only difference is she is part qualified. Can I add her onto the visa application for the same cost or how does that work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Rob01 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I've done some research on this myself but I'm just looking for clarification.

I'm currently here on a WHV 4-5 months into it. Qualified as a chartered accountant in November 2012 and believe I would be eligible to qualify for a Skilled 189 visa based on age (26), work experience (4-5years), level of English and qualifications (Bsc Degree & CA).

I have heard from a few people that accountants are been removed from the list from the 1st July 2013 but as per the link below it shows they will not be? Do i need to apply before then?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/skilled-occupation-list.htm

If invited to apply and you pay over the $3k visa charge what is the likelihood of been accepted? Is it non-refundable?

Also, my girlfriend has all the same criteria as me only difference is she is part qualified. Can I add her onto the visa application for the same cost or how does that work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

On your work experience, you need to ensure that your experience is as a qualified accountant.

DIAC do not refund visa fees - so important to ensure that your applcaction meets all requirements. To avoid delays - ensure that the information is right the first time around.

Your partner can be included if you have 12 months defacto evidence.

Cheers
    Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

big b wrote: »
    Hi

I'm 2 years into a 457.
    My job is on the skills list.

My employer is keen to assist in a skilled migration visa application, but it seems that I'm going to fall foul of some rule-tightening last year - ie, I'm over 50 & there seems to be no exemptions.

My wife may qualify for application as a contract administrator, but not sure on this. She is under 50.

We don't necessarily want to stay on Oz forever, but would like longer than the 2 years left on my 457.

On the 457- can my employer re-apply to sponsor me for a further 4 years? If so, can this be done now, or only at the end of the 4 years?

If my wife applies, should she do so under the employer-sponsored 886 visa?

Or is there another option which I haven't discovered yet?

Thanks

Hi Big B,

If you don't want to apply for permanent residency of some sort or another, then the 457 is what you are looking at.

The employer can cancel your current application and immediately reapply for another 457 application or else do this further down the line.

My advise though is do not cancel anything until you have all your documentation and the employers documents in order. Then cancel and reapply.

Depending on your occupation and where the employer is based, you might be exempt from the age criteria for the ENS and RSMS visas.

Otherwise, if your wife meets the criteria, then your can apply as the main applicant instead.

Thanks
    Declan Clune

Hi Rob,

On your work experience, you need to ensure that your experience is as a qualified accountant.

DIAC do not refund visa fees - so important to ensure that your applcaction meets all requirements. To avoid delays - ensure that the information is right the first time around.

Your partner can be included if you have 12 months defacto evidence.

Cheers
    Declan Clune

Hi Declan

My experience is 3.5years training to become a chartered accountant & 9months as a senior accountant before I moved over here in January. I had 2 repeat an exam which I passed in November so I did not become chartered until then!

Would this not suffice?

Kind regards

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Hi Declan

Thanks very much for your reply.

I'm working in WA, Perth based but spending a lot of time remote WA or offshore. My employer is a multi-national with offices in Sydney, Melbourne & Perth. I'm an HSE Manager in an Oil & Gas support services role, and was employed through the Perth office.

Applying for PR is very much my preference, but the immi website didn't seem to have an option for me, because of age. I've seen exemption lists on the site previously, but they don't seem to be there now?
    A renewal of 457 would be less favourable, but at least would buy me a few more years.

Could you guide me to where I can find info on possible exemptions on ENS & RSMS visas please?

As said above, a route to PR is the dream, we might go home to retire at some point but would really like to stay here a long time yet. Any guidance you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Big B,

If you don't want to apply for permanent residency of some sort or another, then the 457 is what you are looking at.

The employer can cancel your current application and immediately reapply for another 457 application or else do this further down the line.

My advise though is do not cancel anything until you have all your documentation and the employers documents in order. Then cancel and reapply.

Depending on your occupation and where the employer is based, you might be exempt from the age criteria for the ENS and RSMS visas.

Otherwise, if your wife meets the criteria, then your can apply as the main applicant instead.

Thanks
    Declan Clune

Hi Declan

My experience is 3.5years training to become a chartered accountant & 9months as a senior accountant before I moved over here in January. I had 2 repeat an exam which I passed in November so I did not become chartered until then!

Would this not suffice?

Kind regards

Rob

Hey,

You can only claim points for work experience after you qualified (unless you can get a skills assessment for a masters in accounting or something). You will need at least 7 in the academic IELTS for the skills assessment from ICAA and to claim points for English you will need an 8.

You could look into sponsorship by a State - 190 visa, although I know that accountant isn't available for sponsorship in WA at the moment.

• Advertisement

My_Sharona wrote: »
    Hey,

You can only claim points for work experience after you qualified (unless you can get a skills assessment for a masters in accounting or something). You will need at least 7 in the academic IELTS for the skills assessment from ICAA and to claim points for English you will need an 8.

You could look into sponsorship by a State - 190 visa, although I know that accountant isn't available for sponsorship in WA at the moment.

Hey

Just from looking at the website

"Skilled employment outside Australia
    PointsEvidence required5Documents that prove you have worked in skilled employment for three years"

Would my degree in accounting and finance followed by 3.5 years on a training contract and an additonal 9 months on a full contract not qualify for these 5 points?

I havn't looked into the English test yet but I'm sure I will be fine.

Also I presume a Bachelor of Science will qualify for the 15 points?

Thanks for tip on the 190, I will look into the other states tonight.

Kind regards

Rob

Hey

Just from looking at the website

"Skilled employment outside Australia
    PointsEvidence required5Documents that prove you have worked in skilled employment for three years"

Would my degree in accounting and finance followed by 3.5 years on a training contract and an additonal 9 months on a full contract not qualify for these 5 points?

I havn't looked into the English test yet but I'm sure I will be fine.

Also I presume a Bachelor of Science will qualify for the 15 points?

Thanks for tip on the 190, I will look into the other states tonight.

Kind regards

Rob

Yeah it might be possible to get a skills assessment for your degree if they deem that it covers the relevant 9 core knowledge areas for the ANZSCO code. I tried to go down this route with my Postgrad Diploma in Accounting before I qualified, but I was short 1 core knowledge area. If you get a positive skills assessment for your degree you can ask them to assess your work experience for points.

The B Sc should get you 15 points.

Don't underestimate the Academic IELTS - I did both the Academic and the General Training and the Academic is a good bit harder, especially if you want to get an 8 in it. I'd recommend putting in some preparation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Anyone thinking of applying for WA state sponsorship in order to be able to apply automatically for 190 from 1st July you can no longer apply direct for SS as before.

You now have to submit EOI for the visa and also meet the criteria for SS and WA will then select who it would like invite for State sponsorship, they are also changing the criteria in Oct 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

can someone tell me if I submit an expression of interest for a independent skilled visa how long does it take for me to get accepted and invited to apply? as a rule of thumb? can it vary from a short few weeks to never?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kosa

Hello,
    I would like to apply for 190 visa. I have to choose one of my occupations in the application.
    I know that I have to live and work for 2 years in the state which nominates. What about the work character for the first 2 years? Do I have to work in the occupation from visa application/nomination?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of applying for WA state sponsorship in order to be able to apply automatically for 190 from 1st July you can no longer apply direct for SS as before.

You now have to submit EOI for the visa and also meet the criteria for SS and WA will then select who it would like invite for State sponsorship, they are also changing the criteria in Oct 2013.
    Any more details on this?

I'm currently trying to get my trade assessed but won't be ready to apply until August I would think. Was hoping to go on to a 190

Slidey wrote: »
    Any more details on this?

I'm currently trying to get my trade assessed but won't be ready to apply until August I would think. Was hoping to go on to a 190

Changes to State sponsorship
    6 June 2013
    From 1 July 2013 the process for State sponsorship will be changing and the Department of Training and Workforce Development will no longer accept direct applications.

The new process will be as follows:

1 Submit an expression of interest to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship via the SkillSelect database.

2 The Department selects applicants from SkillSelect and offers an invitation to apply for State sponsorship.

3 If invited to apply, you will be given a unique identifier to submit an application to the Department of Training and Workforce Development.

To be considered for State sponsorship you must meet the current 2012-13 criteria for State sponsorship which is available on the How to apply for State sponsorship page.

It is anticipated that a new criteria will be implemented on 1 October 2013.

For more information on SkillSelect please visit www.skillselect.gov.au or call DIAC on 131881.

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/skilledmigration/Pages/LatestNews.aspx

They also have removed a whole heap of occupations as well, WA was the most open state (because it had been booming) but it seems now they nearly reaching saturation and cooling migration there.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bernieobr

sorry to butt in here but I;m so confused with all the visas available. Can anyone answer me a quick question. I have a family member living in Queensland and I am wondering if he could sponsor me, my hubby and child to migrate to QLD. I am 48 and just finished an BA hons degree in Early childhood Education. Hubby is a plumber/gasfitter. Would I have to have a company offer me a job with sponsorship or could my family member over there agree to sponsor us and when we get there we would look for work. Basically, i suppose what im asking is - is family sponsor enough to get us there? thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jax34

Hi everyone!

I am new to this so I hope you'll forgive me if my questions are already answered (I haven't seen it!!) or simply a bit stupid!!

I am hoping to put in an Expression of interest for a 189 visa in the next few months. To save money I am hoping to do this myself rather than use an agent.

I have sent off my qualifications to the relevant authority and I'm reasonably confident that all will be well as far as that goes. But I am confused regarding the points system.

I am 34 I have a masters degree from UCD and will be making the application based on a recognized qualification in Social Work. I have 8 years post qualification experience for which I can provide validation. From what I can see, as I am an Irish citizen, I do not necessarily need to have the IELTS certification.... but could get this to earn extra points. What I am trying to figure out is do I need it?? Will the other sections give me enough points...My confusion is based on whether my professional and academic qualifications will both be considered for points or if it is a case of one or the other???

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. I've read the stuff too many times I think as it appears to be gettting progressively more confusing!!

This thread is really helpful though, thanks so much.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Jax34 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I am 34 I have a masters degree from UCD and will be making the application based on a recognized qualification in Social Work. I have 8 years post qualification experience for which I can provide validation. From what I can see, as I am an Irish citizen, I do not necessarily need to have the IELTS certification.... but could get this to earn extra points. What I am trying to figure out is do I need it?? Will the other sections give me enough points...My confusion is based on whether my professional and academic qualifications will both be considered for points or if it is a case of one or the other???

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. I've read the stuff too many times I think as it appears to be gettting progressively more confusing!!

This thread is really helpful though, thanks so much.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

J

In my opinion it is well worth doing the IETLS. You can get 20 points if you ace all sections (hard but not impossible I’d imagine) you spent 6 years in university to get a masters that will get you 15 points towards your visa, why not spend a few weeks studying IETLS and get 20 points?

I'd imagine all points count. If Theodore from the UK has your qualifications and 70 points i'd assume they'd pick him over you if you only had 65 points. I am open to correction on this but I'd imagine that your chances would be better if you got an extra 20 in IETLS for your application.

• Advertisement

Thanks Danotroy,

All advice appreciated at this point. I had read that the academic test is quite difficult but the requirement for the skills visa appears to be the general training test. Anything that makes it more likely that the application will be accepted is important.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Hi.

What's the difference with these? I mean I know that 189 is state sponsored, but you can still work in any state so what difference does it make?

I'm gonna apply for one of them, any idea which is quickest?

Thanks.

Hi Lucifer-0

The 189 is an independent skills visa which permits you to work anywhere in Oz, the 190 is a state sponsored visa so you apply to a particular region to work there.

The following is my understanding and is open to correction: with the 190 there is a moral obligation on you to remain in that region for I think 4 years. Also I think you get 5 extra points with the 190. With both your occupation needs to be on the SOL, each state has their own SOL for the 190.

Best advise is to go to Immi.gov.au and look at it all, I had to go through it a number of times, still am!! You keep kinding new bit but I think all the info is there. Alternatively speak with an agent.

j

Hi Lucifer-0

The 189 is an independent skills visa which permits you to work anywhere in Oz, the 190 is a state sponsored visa so you apply to a particular region to work there.

The following is my understanding and is open to correction: with the 190 there is a moral obligation on you to remain in that region for I think 4 years. Also I think you get 5 extra points with the 190. With both your occupation needs to be on the SOL, each state has their own SOL for the 190.

Best advise is to go to Immi.gov.au and look at it all, I had to go through it a number of times, still am!! You keep kinding new bit but I think all the info is there. Alternatively speak with an agent.

j

Thanks, but on the site it says you can work and live in any state on the 190?

Lucifer-0 wrote: »

Really? Think you probably should look at the Dept of immigration website for the truth.

Really? Think you probably should look at the Dept of immigration website for the truth.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

Yeah but after 2 years.

189 it is so.

Lucifer-0 wrote: »

I see what you mean its not too clear. If you look at booklet 6 (in the skill select section of the website) it's a little clearer. As I say my understanding is that it's a moral obligation (not a legal one) to remain and now I've read again I see it's two years.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

Best of luck.

J

• Advertisement

I see what you mean its not too clear. If you look at booklet 6 (in the skill select section of the website) it's a little clearer. As I say my understanding is that it's a moral obligation (not a legal one) to remain and now I've read again I see it's two years.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

Best of luck.

J

They cant cancel your visa etc, and they don't seem to chase after you but I think when people say its only a moral obligation they tend to be the ones doing it. Have seen people complain that its unfair on other sites as some people get SS for the likes of SA and then move straight to WA or NSW.

Its only a matter of time before they crack down on it as it skews the whole point of a state migration plan.

Advertisement