Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 paulshan

Paul

To be honest i dont really know whats involved in applying for it, i got the agent to do it all for me, (try and get value for my money) i cant imagine it being to hard if you have everything they need. Maybe it might be safer for the agent to lodge it, you might get it quicker, i know its extra money but look at it as an investment.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 birthmother

Sorry to get off topic but can anyone tell me if being overweight not obese or high cholesterol grounds for not being passed for a medical

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Can anyone tell me which IELTS is required for 189 points system? The General training test is easier than the Academic one but is that enough for 189 PR? I need atleast a 7 in the IELTS.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Its the General one you need

• Registered Users Posts: 29 imagine_08

Hi All

I am in a bit of a predicament at the moment and wondering if I could get some advice.

Background - I was recently dismissed from my job. This came out of nowhere and I have put in a case for unfair dismissal which I am confident of winning. However the lawyer advises that reinstatement may not happen and I will more than likely receive a payout. This obviously leaves me in a situation where I will have 90 days to find a new sponsor or leave the country.

Do I have any other options in terms of Visas? I was on a 457 Visa for 12 months up until I lost my job I was also in Australia for 2 years prior to this on a WHV.

Obviously this has left me in a horrible position. I have a 5 week holiday booked over Christmas and this could not have come at a worse time.
    My partner is also on my Visa as a defacto.

Does anyone know if immigration take into account unfair dismissals especially in relation to the 90 days to find a new employer?

What other options do I have now ?

Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The unfair dismissal is irrelevant in terms of the visa. Even if you won the case tomorrow, they aren't your employer anymore.
    You have 3 months to find a new employer, or else get a different visa. In terms of visa options;

A new sponsored visa - 457*
    Employer nominated residency 186*
    Independent residency -189
    State sponsored residency - 190

*You'll need a willing employer for these two

Thanks for the info Mellor. Ill start looking into these visas asap.

Well things have moved pretty fast. I have found an employer that is keen.
    I have an interview Thursday and they have asked what they need to do to take over the sponsorship.

Do they just need to lodge a nomination for the role?
    Do I need to do anything then?

Mellor wrote: »
    The unfair dismissal is irrelevant in terms of the visa. Even if you won the case tomorrow, they aren't your employer anymore.
    You have 3 months to find a new employer, or else get a different visa. In terms of visa options;

A new sponsored visa - 457*
    Employer nominated residency 186*
    Independent residency -189
    State sponsored residency - 190

*You'll need a willing employer for these two

imagine_08 wrote: »
    Well things have moved pretty fast. I have found an employer that is keen.
    I have an interview Thursday and they have asked what they need to do to take over the sponsorship.

Do they just need to lodge a nomination for the role?
    Do I need to do anything then?

They'll first need to be approved as a "Standard Business Sponsor". They might have that out of the way already.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Randy Watson

Hello there, I'm looking for some advice with regards to what state to choose to live in.

I am currently in the process of applying for a skilled migration visa and I've been asked to choose between South Australia, Victoria and ACT.

Now I had my heart set on Perth in WA but it's not a dealbreaker. Basically I want to ask people which state offers the best chance of sustained employment for a building site engineer.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Not that I know anything about Building Site Engineers job availability in Australia (I'm a Surveyor though so maybe I should!) when I was in Melbourne (Victoria) there was a huge amount of construction happening, not sure if you've experience in high rise but alot seemed to be happening. Check out seek.com.au and do a search for your specific role in each area and it might give you an idea of what area is plentiful in the jobs department.

Anyone recently done the IELTS around Brisbane or in Australia? Have mine on Saturday and I must admit I've been cocky about it until today. I'm doing the general training one and I've only done a few sample papers found online. Thus far I've found it very easy and get bored with it quite fast. Actually I think I've spent more time complaining about how stupid it is to my girlfriend than actually study!!

Anyone care to give me a warning about it or some tips or allay my current fears that it is actually very straight forward if you know the difference between there, their and they're?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 john.co

irishmover wrote: »
    Anyone recently done the IELTS around Brisbane or in Australia? Have mine on Saturday and I must admit I've been cocky about it until today. I'm doing the general training one and I've only done a few sample papers found online. Thus far I've found it very easy and get bored with it quite fast. Actually I think I've spent more time complaining about how stupid it is to my girlfriend than actually study!!

Anyone care to give me a warning about it or some tips or allay my current fears that it is actually very straight forward if you know the difference between there, their and they're?

I did the IELTS back in March for my 189 Visa application - scored an 8.5 I think! I was in the same boat when preparing, wondering if it was going to be as easy as it seemed using the sample tests. A friend had one of the official exam preparation books so I borrowed that.
    To be honest, if you've a good standard of English it's not particularly difficult - although to get a high mark it can prove tricky. Having not sat a written exam in years, I found it a bit of a challenge to sit down and really concentrate and focus for a couple of hours.
    The reading section was't difficult, the listening comprehension was fine - although it does move pretty quickly, so you need to be sharp to get all the answers.Sometimes you can doubt yourself given the multiple choice answers - could be either of two options etc.
    The written section was OK - it wasn't something I'd done since the Leaving but it wasn't a problem (not a lot you can prepare for as the topics could be anything! Found that writing out a few bullet points about what I wanted to cover in the essay helped keep me focused in the writing. The oral exam was a bit awkward, simply because you're fluent in English and being asked questions of a standard similar to an Irish/French oral for the Leaving Cert! I found this fine, though you need to be confident speaking clearly and be prepared for the examiner to change topics quickly as they read questions off a list - so it's not really a free flowing conversation!
    All I can say is, it won't be hard but take it seriously - take the time to go through the sample exams from start to finish and listen to a few sample listening tests if you can. Take a few essay topics and write out a few bullet points that you could write about - just to get your mind working in that manner again! And be familiar with the length of essay you're required to write - AFAIK they want it pretty much within the word range!
    At the end of the day, it's a very straightforward way of scoring 10 or 20 points for the visa application so once you are prepared and take it seriously you'll be grand.

[Sorry for the long reply!]

What a load of rubbish that was.

Anyone know an alternative site to immi.gov which shows the migration ceiling list? The report link on skillselect doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

What a load of rubbish that was.

Hi Irishmover,

How did you find the englist test? My OH did his on Saturday also.
    He found the essay parts a little difficult as he hasn't sat an exam or wrote an essay in years!!
    Fingers crossed you passed :)

Can I ask how you went about getting your Gardai clearence? Thats the next thing we will have to do.

Cheers

I'm in the process of doing that myself. It is possible to do it from Australia which is what I'm doing as my current Garda clearance is 2 years old.

Check out here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/police_certificate.html

In regards the english test. The Listening and Reading seemed very easy, but I was hugely against the idea of the written one. I found it to be an awful way to identify someone's written english. The question I got for the 250 word essay was something along the lines of this: 'Many people consider a good memory to be the most important part of a successful life. Do you agree or disagree, give examples from personal experience.' I baulked at it for a few minutes and in the end overall had 1 minute remaining from the hour for both the letter and essay. 310 words for the essay so that might be why but when I looked around at the end a good 75% of the room was still writing.

As for the speaking part. I have no idea how it went. It was the worst conversation I ever had with anyone. She stopped me from talking every single question she asked me. I'm hoping that meant she just wanted to get through it as quick as possible and onto the next person as clearly I could speak English.

Ridiculous.

I'm in the process of doing that myself. It is possible to do it from Australia which is what I'm doing as my current Garda clearance is 2 years old.

Check out here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/police_certificate.html

In regards the english test. The Listening and Reading seemed very easy, but I was hugely against the idea of the written one. I found it to be an awful way to identify someone's written english. The question I got for the 250 word essay was something along the lines of this: 'Many people consider a good memory to be the most important part of a successful life. Do you agree or disagree, give examples from personal experience.' I baulked at it for a few minutes and in the end overall had 1 minute remaining from the hour for both the letter and essay. 310 words for the essay so that might be why but when I looked around at the end a good 75% of the room was still writing.

As for the speaking part. I have no idea how it went. It was the worst conversation I ever had with anyone. She stopped me from talking every single question she asked me. I'm hoping that meant she just wanted to get through it as quick as possible and onto the next person as clearly I could speak English.

Ridiculous.

Great! Thanks for the link - I'll have a read.

My BF also had to write on that topic, he came out and was like what the FCK!! haha!! I know he was writing until the very last second. He said another examinee kept writing beyond the finish time and the exam supervisor had to get onto him a few times :/ Can you imagine if english wasn't your first language! It would very difficult..
    I think the letter was about moving to a new area or something like that?

In regards to speaking he felt he did well, they asked him to speak about a sporting event he had attended or participated in - he could relate to this from a lot of personal experiences so he said he just rambled on :)
    The only part he is worried about is the writing - fingers and toes crossed!!

It's a pity there is a 13 day wait for the results! My OH will not be happy if he doesn't get the result he needs. Don't fancy having to had out another $330 either :(

Yeh the letter was the same.

The question I was asked in the speaking test was an shopping street you like, why and what you do there............

I picked Henry Street! Reason was because of the markets and the constant "Get your bananaaaaaaaaas" "2 for a fiver" "Here lovey"

maybe thats why she stopped me???? Nah kidding I didn't say that but couldnt think of another street so just talked about that... I'd be surprised if I done terribly in the speaking test. Think its the same issue for me. The written test being an issue.

Case officer assigned this week. They rejected my Garda clearance as it hadnt my middle name on it. They also wanted more proof that I was employed as I said I was. They were given a letter from my employer whom I am on a 457 visa with. Balls, I had hoped to have it wrapped up by now.

Anyone know how much of a queue will there be once the extra paperwork is re-submitted?

• Advertisement

Got my Skills Assessment today!

Can anyone tell me whether I need to meet the 60 points before making an EOI? I get my IELTS results next Friday but the last invitations to apply for this month is Monday so if I can avoid waiting another 2 weeks before I may get invited to apply that would be great.... I'm currently on 55 points and thus need a 7 in the IELTS. But as I said will surely get that next Friday...

Case officer assigned this week. They rejected my Garda clearance as it hadnt my middle name on it. They also wanted more proof that I was employed as I said I was. They were given a letter from my employer whom I am on a 457 visa with. Balls, I had hoped to have it wrapped up by now.

Anyone know how much of a queue will there be once the extra paperwork is re-submitted?
    If you gave a case officer there won't be a queue really, you can email it directly.

For example, I was waiting on my Medical results, did the Medicals Friday, checked Monday night and the results were complete. On tuesday I emailed my case officer let her know the test results were complete.
    My visa was granted within the hour.

got a wonderful email yesterday to say im a resident. it was only lodged 6 weeks ago, was a bit surprised i got it so quick but i aint going to complain.!! overall from whn i satrted the process to when i got the residency it too me a little with 15 weeks.!

I got mine this morning! Delighted :D

Re-submitted my Garda clearance yday and it was granted today

Congrats guys! Putting in my EOI when I get my IELTS results Friday.

8.5 Reading, 8.5 Listening, 9.0 Speaking and 7.5 written. Was pretty much what I expected (aside from speaking). EOI submitted now! 60 points met, would have been nicer to have gotten an 8 in written and got the extra 10 to make things alot more comfortable but it's what I expected when I spent most of the time complaining about how stupid the format is instead of just preparing for it!

3 hours study overall so cant really complain. I guess all you really do need to study for is the written.

well done on the results, its a bit stupid they way we have to do it in the first place. i found it strange the way they take your lows score for your result.

it should be an over all avarage in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

paulshan wrote: »
    well done on the results, its a bit stupid they way we have to do it in the first place. i found it strange the way they take your lows score for your result.

it should be an over all avarage in my opinion

That's a bit of a myth you don't have to do IELTS

If you have an Irish passport it's good enough, people only do it because their points score is not up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Memo89x

Hi guys, my boyfriend and i are based in Perth and he needs to do the IELTS with an 8 band in all components, we needs the points from it unfortunately. Has anyone any advise on completing it test tips/cheats, he is very worked up about it as the last test/exam he would have completed was his Junior cert his spelling and writing is very poor I imagine the reading and writing section will be an extreme challenge for him. I think he should be ok with other 2 components. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement

8.5 Reading, 8.5 Listening, 9.0 Speaking and 7.5 written. Was pretty much what I expected (aside from speaking).

Hey Irishmover,
    Well done on the results! Great news for you :)
    My OH got his yesterday - 7.5 listening, 6.5 reading, 7.5 writing and 9 speaking. He's pretty pee'd off that he didn't get 7 in the reading. He got an overall band score of 7.5.

Does he have to resit it again now that he didn't get 7 in reading or does your result depend on the overall band score?

Advertisement