Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

Can anyone tell me or direct me to where I can find out what documents you need to apply for a 457 Visa?

Thanks

Click on the link below, click on "visa applicants" tab and then click on "Document checklist for visa applicants".

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/457.aspx

Does anyone here know how long a 457 visa sponsorship nomination change from one employer to a new employment should take?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Does anyone here know how long a 457 visa sponsorship nomination change from one employer to a new employment should take?

Between 4 days and three weeks has been my experience.

4 days if they're approved to sponsor before you 3 weeks if they need to apply to nominate is what it took for me.

That's what I've heard. I've a mate that had his application submitted on a Thursday, he started with his new employer the next Tuesday.

My application is into Week 4 now. It's for a local government position.

That's what I've heard. I've a mate that had his application submitted on a Thursday, he started with his new employer the next Tuesday.

My application is into Week 4 now. It's for a local government position.

It can vary a lot. There's no magic number unfortunately.. 4 weeks can happen but hitting the extreme. You've been in contact with them right? Guessing they haven't sponsored before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Guys,

Does anyone know how long the medical takes and what it involves? As in what is involved in the medical examination?

Would it be a bad idea to have had a few drinks the night before?

Cheers

Permanent visa medical examinations include:

Medical Examination by a Medibank Health Solutions doctor.
    Chest X-ray by Medibank Health Solutions' approved Radiologist.
    HIV Blood Test - Blood taken by a Medibank Health Solutions nurse or by our approved pathology provider.
    Nurse Screening - eye test, height, weight, urine test

https://www.medibankhealth.com.au/content.asp?id=35

I have no idea if Alcohol would affect that but probably not advised to take it.

I had an awful experience with Medibank, took 3 weeks longer than it should have as they seemed to have misplaced documents. Pretty sure mine was a very isolated incident. I believe most take, without any abnormalities 4 days or not very long at all.

Ok great I was contemplating booking mine in for Paddy's day but now not thinking that is such a great idea.

How long does the actual medical take? An hour or two?

linola_c wrote: »
    Ok great I was contemplating booking mine in for Paddy's day but now not thinking that is such a great idea.

How long does the actual medical take? An hour or two?

Yeh it took me 2 hours from when I first went into waiting room to completely finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It takes about 20 mins for the medical and maybe 15mins for the X-Ray.

BUPA are going to be taking over the migration stuff from Medibank, although not sure if that's been made public yet.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    It takes about 20 mins for the medical and maybe 15mins for the X-Ray.

BUPA are going to be taking over the migration stuff from Medibank, although not sure if that's been made public yet.

There was a lot of waiting in between for me, but I suppose it was a little busy at the time and it was the week between Christmas and New Years.

Great that probs means I could do it over an extended lunch break!

Cheers :)

irishmover wrote: »
    There was a lot of waiting in between for me, but I suppose it was a little busy at the time and it was the week between Christmas and New Years.

Sorry I meant that the procedure takes about 20 + 15 mins at most, waiting around depends on appointments and other people running late I suppose.

The panel doctors physically check you out and usually ask about scars etc, check your reflexes and the Nurses takes blood. X-Rays are very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Pugins wrote: »
    Having a problem with skillselect website and hoped someone could help. Got invited to apply for 190 visa and started inputting info. However, every time I get to page 7/17 it just won't load and I get an error message that the system is unavailable and try again later.

Have tried and tried at different times of the day, on Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. On two different PCs, on an IPad and phone. Tried clearing cookies etc. no joy. Searched online and it seems to be a common problem but can't find a way to fix it. Has this ever happened anyone else? And if so how did you get around it?

An update just in case someone else encounters this in the future.

After many phone calls and emails and a delay of nearly 3 weeks this has been resolved by DIAC. It appears it can happen when someone is given more than 1 log in ( don't know why I had more than one). Anyway once it was finally passed to the right department they merged the log ons and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Randy Watson

Nearly at the end of my tether here so I thought I would come on here and ask for some advice.

I am looking for a 2 year sponsor for a 457 visa. I've searched the relevant websites and put my profile up 3 weeks ago and nothing yet. I have the qualifications and experience but they don't seem to match up with the jobs advertised over there.

In the industry I am job hunting it's more like who you know. A few of the places I have been employed here [when jobs were plentiful] it has been through word of mouth and I am lead to believe it's the same over there. Do a good job for one employer and he'll recommend you to another etc. Which makes trying to secure a sponsor very difficult.

As I said it has been three weeks and nothing so far. I've been trying to obtain a visa, any visa, for a while now and it's as far away as when I first applied.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nearly at the end of my tether here so I thought I would come on here and ask for some advice.

I am looking for a 2 year sponsor for a 457 visa. I've searched the relevant websites and put my profile up 3 weeks ago and nothing yet.
    The best advice I can think of, is to get your expectations back into reality. Sponorship isn't something that they employers are throwing at people. Being at the end of your tether after only 3 weeks is a bit ridiculous. That's not very long to be looking for a sponsor, esp when you are overseas. Its not even long to be looking for a job in a normal situation.

A lot of people will work for the employer for 3-6 months before the employer agrees to sponsor them. That opportunity to prove themselves is a huge advantage, and they still might not find a sponsor.

Mellor wrote: »
    The best advice I can think of, is to get your expectations back into reality. Sponorship isn't something that they employers are throwing at people. Being at the end of your tether after only 3 weeks is a bit ridiculous. That's not very long to be looking for a sponsor, esp when you are overseas. Its not even long to be looking for a job in a normal situation.

A lot of people will work for the employer for 3-6 months before the employer agrees to sponsor them. That opportunity to prove themselves is a huge advantage, and they still might not find a sponsor.

Bit harsh but unfortunately have to agree.

I'm a PR. Came back out to Australia early February and have been searching for a job since. Have had one offer (crazy role won't get into it) one interview for a job in Perth and will have one interview for a job in Brisbane Tuesday. I have only applied to one job outside of Brisbane (which I had an interview for) and applied to about 55 roles around the Brisbane area.

Having PR would put me at a big advantage to someone seeking sponsorship yet I'm still finding it quite hard.

Construction/Engineering/Drafting sector. Have got about 2 years experience in Australia.

Don't like disclosing this information on an online board but perspective for people looking for employment needs to be given. I've been keeping an eye on Melbourne/Sydney/Perth along with FIFO roles and wouldn't be hugely confident I'd have been employed by now if I had applied to any role im suitable for.

However maybe I'm a little picky as time is on my side I dunno..

Good luck with your search. Hope it has a good outcome.

I agree with Mellor, 457 in general are down 37% over the last 6 months compared to the same period last year. The number of Irish people granted 457 is down over 41% over the same period compared with last year.

Mellor wrote: »

As I said further on down the post I have been trying to get various visas for a while now, I don't want to say how long but I didn't think it would take this long. I must be going be for some kind of record :eek:

I realise that if I just applied for a 457 and didn't get one after three weeks I would sound impatient but I've tried a few routes and this is the latest. The longer it goes on the less likely it looks as if I'll get one

As I said further on down the post I have been trying to get various visas for a while now, I don't want to say how long but I didn't think it would take this long. I must be going be for some kind of record :eek:

I realise that if I just applied for a 457 and didn't get one after three weeks I would sound impatient but I've tried a few routes and this is the latest. The longer it goes on the less likely it looks as if I'll get one

What visas did you look at?

• Advertisement

What visas did you look at?

A skilled independent visa and a skilled nominated visa

A skilled independent visa and a skilled nominated visa

And you didn't meet the points?

Did you consider a WHV? I got a 457 from Ireland 2.5 years ago but I was very very lucky. The majority of people come out on a WHV in hope of sponsorship. As Mandrake said though the chances of getting a 457 now are not too good.

And you didn't meet the points?

Did you consider a WHV? I got a 457 from Ireland 2.5 years ago but I was very very lucky. The majority of people come out on a WHV in hope of sponsorship. As Mandrake said though the chances of getting a 457 now are not too good.

I thought I would make the points but fell just short

I'm overage for a WHV

I thought I would make the points but fell just short

I'm overage for a WHV

Keep searching on seek.com.au apply speculatively to companies over here and maybe you might get lucky.

Don't think there's anything else you can do.

Keep searching on seek.com.au apply speculatively to companies over here and maybe you might get lucky.

Don't think there's anything else you can do.

That's one of the websites that I have been trying

Cheers and thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Anybody know what the chances are off getting a 189 visa straight out off Uni for teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

astonaidan wrote: »
    Anybody know what the chances are off getting a 189 visa straight out off Uni for teaching?

Not good I would have thought. To get an invitation to apply you must reach 60 points minimum in the points test (assuming teaching is on the occupation list). Straight out of uni you will get zero points for experience. Check out skillselect for your points etc.

Plus even if you do it all yourself it's an expensive process- application fees, skills assessment, medicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Hey a bit of a random question, but maybe someone here might know.

I have qualified as an electrician, have a Level 7/ Diploma in an Electrical Engineering area and I also have a Level 8 BEng Honors in Electrical & Electronic Engineering.

My query is when adding up the points can I include my previous qualifications or can I only choose one of them? I would have 65 points in only choosing one of them but would still be interested in knowing the answer.

Thanks

BD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Pugins wrote: »
    Not good I would have thought. To get an invitation to apply you must reach 60 points minimum in the points test (assuming teaching is on the occupation list). Straight out of uni you will get zero points for experience. Check out skillselect for your points etc.

Plus even if you do it all yourself it's an expensive process- application fees, skills assessment, medicals.
    Hmm maybe go to NZ get experience there is the way for me to go, If I had a job offer would it be easier to go through on a different visa

• Advertisement

BrianDug wrote: »
    Hey a bit of a random question, but maybe someone here might know.

I have qualified as an electrician, have a Level 7/ Diploma in an Electrical Engineering area and I also have a Level 8 BEng Honors in Electrical & Electronic Engineering.

My query is when adding up the points can I include my previous qualifications or can I only choose one of them? I would have 65 points in only choosing one of them but would still be interested in knowing the answer.

Thanks

BD

Seeing as you can only select one option in the Education list. So one of trade, diploma (is that Australian diploma only so Irish wouldn't count anyway?), degree or master and PhD. I'd be inclined to think that only your highest one would count.

Otherwise you could do like what you done and meet the 60 points with one of each qualification and be aged between 40-44 with nothing else needed.

Advertisement