Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Are you supposed to do the English test before submitting the expression of interest?

I completed the EOI for a 189 and I have 45 points. For some reason I thought you do the English test after the EOI.

Should I suspend the EOI, take the English test and resubmit the EOI?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 niterain84

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Are you supposed to do the English test before submitting the expression of interest?

I completed the EOI for a 189 and I have 45 points. For some reason I thought you do the English test after the EOI.

Should I suspend the EOI, take the English test and resubmit the EOI?

you need minimum 60 points to lodge EOI. 45 points wont get you anywhere. do the english test first

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭JR1210

I just got the Visa granted, was a pretty simple process
    It took me over a year but you can really speed it up by doing everything at once
    I did the IELTS in July 2013 (there is about a 2 month waiting list in UCD), once I received the results I submitted the Skills Assessment (ACS) in August 2013, got the results 21st November
    Submitted the application the 11th of February and got someone assigned from Adelaide team 4 about 2 weeks later
    Was just gathering info after that and waiting for my defacto partner to do her IELTS as she is not from Ireland, she was sick so had to rebook it again, once she got her exam we got visa granted a week later
    Its an easy process for anyone that wants to do it by themselves. To do it quick you should queue up the IELTS, Skills Assessment, 6 months bank statements, work references, police clearance, birth cert, fill out form 80, get them all signed by the police and ready for upload
    Now I have 6 months to enter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sundy wrote: »
    Yeah I did it. A complete money racket if you ask me, its a real know how the marking scheme works kind of test rather than an actual English competency test.

Also if you don't get the right mark in one section you have to repeat the whole test. It's a scam but an easy 20 points for native English speakers.
    you'd think so, although I just got my results, which were fine overall but mysteriously I'm half a point short of the required pass mark in reading, which if you'd asked me right after I did the test, was one of my strongest areas, with the writing being my weakest.

money grabbing feckers.

Listening: 8.5
    Reading: 7.5
    Writing: 8.0
    Speaking: 9.0
    Overall: 8.5

of course i'd anticipated the 'only just' fail and i had another one already booked in for next month, but it's still very annoying knowing that i should have passed and having them dicking me around to give them a bit of extra revenue for their money making scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wet sand

Hi all,

I was at the Croke Park jobs expo today and I spoke to a lady about moving to Canada. I told her I have a Law Degree without work experience. She told me I would be better off going to Australia since I would qualify for the skilled migration visa.

I have considered moving to Australia under the skilled migration visa but I was certain I didn't qualify under the criteria. I have used up the 1 year visa almost 9 years ago so that option is out.

Is the lady right in saying I qualify for the migration visa with just a Law Degree?
    She is Australian herself.

Thanks

• Advertisement

It's ok. I found out.

The program says you need a minimum of 65 points. I get 30 for my age, 15 for a bachelors and a further 10/20 for the English language test. Provided I pass the 'Superior' English requirement I should get 20 points giving me the 65 points requirement.

Does anyone have any idea how difficult the English Language Test is?

wet sand wrote: »
    It's ok. I found out.

The program says you need a minimum of 65 points. I get 30 for my age, 15 for a bachelors and a further 10/20 for the English language test. Provided I pass the 'Superior' English requirement I should get 20 points giving me the 65 points requirement.

Does anyone have any idea how difficult the English Language Test is?

60 points is the minimum not 65.

I done the Ielts test and got the 20 points. you need to study a bit for it. look at past tests. theres plenty of research material on the net. its not a matter of just turning up and doing it. you obviously know english but u need to study to know exactly what answers they are looking for. you can do it with a bit of preparation

but first of all you should research how to get a skills assesment for your law degree. you need to make sure you can get this before doing the ielts.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Before paying for anything look into the skills assessment for Law.

A friend of mine is a barrister in Ireland and said he'd almost need to spend another few years in Uni in Australia in order to get up to speed with the laws out here as the degree he has is really only useful in Ireland.

I suggest investigating the requirements of the skills assessment. Without being able to get that the 60 points are worthless.

Here's about the best possible answer you'll get in regards the above.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/211160-solicitor-applying-visa-189-skills-assessment.html

Looks like it's among the most difficult professions to have to get a 189. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

If you got a positive skills assessment (which lasts for two years) for one career, say a construction professional which is on the 189 list, and now you actually work in IT, would this raise any flags on an EOI?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭digiman

I think I have all my documentation now, have Medical done, Australian and Irish Police checks back. Have my birthcert, passport and degree all with me, I just need to get them certified.

Have a few questions about uploading of some of the other things.

Qualifications - Overseas, Evidence of

Provide evidence of your overseas qualifications. This may include a certified copy of your academic transcripts, educational certificate (degree, diploma etc) or letter/statement from your overseas education institution.

For these, have people uploaded the main degree certificate and also the 4-5 pages of transcripts?

Work Experience - Overseas, Evidence of

Have people uploaded references from all your employers or just the one?

I've got my fiancee on mine as a de-facto, they mention to Provide evidence of your relationship with your spouse/de facto partner. This may include a certified copy of your marriage certificate, family book, household booklet or family composition evidence.

What evidence do people upload for this? We have lived together in Ireland and Sydney and have bills etc at the same address. I can show photos, flights taken together. Am I on the right track here? What else should I be uploading to this section?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    If you got a positive skills assessment (which lasts for two years) for one career, say a construction professional which is on the 189 list, and now you actually work in IT, would this raise any flags on an EOI?
    from what I've been told by the people we're submitting my application through, what gets you into the country on your skills assessment and what job you actually get when you get there don't actually matter as once you're in 'you're in' so to speak. as long as you can afford to support yourself and your family (if you have one) it doesn't matter what you're doing for work as long as it's legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

digiman wrote: »

Work Experience - Overseas, Evidence of

Have people uploaded references from all your employers or just the one?

This depends on whether or not the employment experience will get you 'points' as far as your application is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

vibe666 wrote: »
    from what I've been told by the people we're submitting my application through, what gets you into the country on your skills assessment and what job you actually get when you get there don't actually matter as once you're in 'you're in' so to speak.

I don't think he was talkig nabout a job after he gets in.
    I read it that he got a positive skills assessment within the last 2 years (construction), but since then has been working in IT. He hasn't yet applied and is wondering would this be a flag, as he needs to provide full employment history.

I have just been granted my 189 Permanent Residency Visa today. I lodged it myself without an agent on June 13th. Its such a relief to finally have it....

niterain84 wrote: »
    I have just been granted my 189 Permanent Residency Visa today. I lodged it myself without an agent on June 13th. Its such a relief to finally have it....

Congrats. Wasn't hard without an agent eh?:)

Congrats, did you have a de-facto on your Visa by any chance? Looking for some advice on what documents to upload to show that she is my defacto.

irishmover wrote: »
    Congrats. Wasn't hard without an agent eh?:)

No, it wasnt hard. Much cheaper too :)

Congrats, did you have a de-facto on your Visa by any chance? Looking for some advice on what documents to upload to show that she is my defacto.

I am married so I just submitted my marriage certificate and that was all they wanted.

Im not sure what the de facto requirements are. The only advice i can give is , Dont listen to pub talk. I heard so much ****e from people that thought they knew it all and turned out to be wrong about a lot of the info.

All the info you need is on the official Australia Dept of Immigration website. Its the most reliable place to get all your info. I followed everything there and it worked out for me.

Good Luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

No, it wasnt hard. Much cheaper too :)

I am married so I just submitted my marriage certificate and that was all they wanted.

Im not sure what the de facto requirements are. The only advice i can give is , Dont listen to pub talk. I heard so much ****e from people that thought they knew it all and turned out to be wrong about a lot of the info.

All the info you need is on the official Australia Dept of Immigration website. Its the most reliable place to get all your info. I followed everything there and it worked out for me.

Good Luck with it :)

congrats. Fair play to you for doing it without an agent. I just wish more people would take thid approach and do their research rather than listening to all the amateur migration agents in the pubs and construction sites. If people really want to live and work and in most cases earn a hell of alot more than money than they would in Ireland then they should be willing to spend a little bit less time on Facebook and a little bit more time on the immigration website and get the correct info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can answer my question, google has failed me.

If I apply for a 189 when I am 32 (gain the extra points) at what stage will I be penalised for turning 33?

Cheers

T-K-O wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can answer my question, google has failed me.

If I apply for a 189 when I am 32 (gain the extra points) at what stage will I be penalised for turning 33?

Cheers

When you receive the invitation to apply then your EOI is locked. This is the moment dept of immi will assess your case from. you have 2 months to lodge visa after you have received the invitation.

so if for example you turn 33 within these 2 months it doesnt matter as immi assess your application based on the date you received the invitation to apply.

good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

When you receive the invitation to apply then your EOI is locked. This is the moment dept of immi will assess your case from. you have 2 months to lodge visa after you have received the invitation.

so if for example you turn 33 within these 2 months it doesnt matter as immi assess your application based on the date you received the invitation to apply.

good luck

I've searched high and low, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Hey guys sorry for hijacking,

Posting on behalf of my girlfriend, we're both in Australia at the moment on a WHV, she's a qualified pre school teacher with 3 years experience, she's 27. At the moment shes looking at applying for the 189 and I'll go as defacto as her profession is on the skilled list.

Just a bit clueless as to how the whole thing works, I was told that by using an immigration agent it's just wasting money, so it it easy to do the whole process without one ? Also how much would it cost if you were granted the visa ?

We have 8 months left on our current visa so I suppose we have some time but generally how long does it take from start to finish once you register your EOI ?
    We're living in Victoria if that makes a difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Hey guys sorry for hijacking,

Posting on behalf of my girlfriend, we're both in Australia at the moment on a WHV, she's a qualified pre school teacher with 3 years experience, she's 27. At the moment shes looking at applying for the 189 and I'll go as defacto as her profession is on the skilled list.

Just a bit clueless as to how the whole thing works, I was told that by using an immigration agent it's just wasting money, so it it easy to do the whole process without one ? Also how much would it cost if you were granted the visa ?

We have 8 months left on our current visa so I suppose we have some time but generally how long does it take from start to finish once you register your EOI ?
    We're living in Victoria if that makes a difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

A very similar question was asked about 4 or 5 days ago. Its in the Australia forum under a thread named "migrating to oz".
    That will point you in right direction.

Agents arent necessary. All info you need is freely available on official Dept of Immigration Australia website.

My brother is a permanent resident of Oz.

I discovered that he can sponsor me on the 489 visa. What I want to know is this the only visa I can be sponsored on or are there others?

I've seen quite a few people on the expat forum mention "Form 80". What is this form? I don't recall seeing it in any of the documents that are required to be uploaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I've seen quite a few people on the expat forum mention "Form 80". What is this form? I don't recall seeing it in any of the documents that are required to be uploaded.

The dreaded Form 80, they ask questions on everything.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/80.pdf

If it's PR application you definitely need one of these.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    The dreaded Form 80, they ask questions on everything.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/80.pdf

If it's PR application you definitely need one of these.

Yeah, its PR. What section of the online part do you have to upload this information? Is it a sub-section of one of the main ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah, its PR. What section of the online part do you have to upload this information? Is it a sub-section of one of the main ones?

Not sure if this is on the 189 online checklist, but I remember filling it in myself for a 856. It forms the character and particulars ....I would expect it to be used in any serious visa applications such as PR.

It might be that CO will request it in the future anyway.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is on the 189 online checklist, but I remember filling it in myself for a 856. It forms the character and particulars ....I would expect it to be used in any serious visa applications such as PR.

It might be that CO will request it in the future anyway.

I never found it on 189 checklist so was caught off guard when CO asked me for it. It's definitely a requirement of the 189 though. I think I emailed her and did not upload the document but I'm sure there's an option there for character references.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

irishmover wrote: »
    I never found it on 189 checklist so was caught off guard when CO asked me for it. It's definitely a requirement of the 189 though. I think I emailed her and did not upload the document but I'm sure there's an option there for character references.

Form 80 is only required when lodging for decision ready applications.
    In other applications the CO will request it when signed, along with requesting police certs etc.

When I did mine (186) I filled it out and lodged online before my CO was assigned. Was fine like that, once CO was assigned, all I had to do was go for medical and visa was approved the next day.

Advertisement