Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NORZ

Hi, I am currently living in New Zealand but we have been thinking about making a move to Perth. I am a type 2 diabetic and my 14 year old son was diagnosed with it two years ago. Would this affect our chances of getting a visa? It dident stop us getting a NZ visa but not sure how the Australian system works.

It very much depends on which visa you are considering applying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

NORZ wrote: »
    It very much depends on which visa you are considering applying for.

I have not got that far in my thinking yet, not sure what the options are but thought the diabetes might be an issue. Which visa type would it be an issue for?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 imagine_08

Hi Guys

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I am currently on a 457 visa and in January I will be 2 years with the company. They have agreed to nominate me then so that I can apply for PR.

Now the company say that they use an agent to do all their applications and they have given me the full costs for me & partner along with their costs for nomination and their agents fees ($3500) which total nearly $11000k.

I have told them that I do not need an agent to do the application and I will do this part myself but they are adamant that I need to use their agent and also pay the agent fees. I'm not happy with this obviously as Id rather save the $3500+

My questions is. do I have a choice how I apply for the visa or do I have to use the agent if that's what the company wants? Also, am I liable to pay for the company's nomination fee?

Thanks in advance

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

I have not got that far in my thinking yet, not sure what the options are but thought the diabetes might be an issue. Which visa type would it be an issue for?

i've got type one and when our WHV was running out, we were looking at state sponsorship but , the Diabetes would have gone against us . basically , the government looks at the projected cost of subsidising treatment assuming we would live here permanently , and if the cost exceeded 40k over your lifetime , then the visa application would be rejected.
    However , there's a health requirement waiver with a 457 visa so 457 was the route we went with , and applying for Pr wont be an issue now....thank feck

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

imagine_08 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I am currently on a 457 visa and in January I will be 2 years with the company. They have agreed to nominate me then so that I can apply for PR.

Now the company say that they use an agent to do all their applications and they have given me the full costs for me & partner along with their costs for nomination and their agents fees ($3500) which total nearly $11000k.

I have told them that I do not need an agent to do the application and I will do this part myself but they are adamant that I need to use their agent and also pay the agent fees. I'm not happy with this obviously as Id rather save the $3500+

My questions is. do I have a choice how I apply for the visa or do I have to use the agent if that's what the company wants? Also, am I liable to pay for the company's nomination fee?

Thanks in advance

Sean

Hi Imagine,

You do not have to use an agent but an agent should be totally familar with current immigration legislation and changes. Some people apply themselves but if they make mistakes on their application it would cost them time and possibly money. But the employer should not be forcing you to use an agent.

Also, his agent should be aware that the employer is liable for (the sponsor and) nomination parts of the application as they relate to the approval of his business and his job offer. You would be liable for the visa part of the application though. Some employers cover all these fees. It seems that this employer is covering none of them. While this is not correct, this is the practice that many employers adopt - the applicant covers the costs.

There are agents that offer an advisory service (like me) where they review your application and advise what should be amended/changed before you submit it and this costs a lot less than paying the full immigration fees where the agent reviews, submits and follows up with immigration on your behalf.

Thanks Declan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 whatif...

Hey all - I'm almost ready to submit my Skilled assessment for the 189 visa - is it okay to scan everything in the one email and send off? Or better to send documents by post?
    Also, feel a bit iffy just putting my credit card details on there and sending it halfway across the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

whatif... wrote: »
    Hey all - I'm almost ready to submit my Skilled assessment for the 189 visa - is it okay to scan everything in the one email and send off? Or better to send documents by post?
    Also, feel a bit iffy just putting my credit card details on there and sending it halfway across the world...

They usually specify whether they want it posted or emailed. Who is your skills assessment with?

irishmover wrote: »
    They usually specify whether they want it posted or emailed. Who is your skills assessment with?

Chartered Accountants Australia - ya I should give the form another read - took me ages to get the paperwork together so haven't looked at it in awhile.

The only think I've to do now is get a reference letter from my current employment - tricky as I don't want to tell them I'm going until closer the time - and that could be another 6 months before skilled assessment and EOI is processed.... any thoughts??

Anybody know how much work experience is required before applying for the Skilled Employment Assessment?

I'm applying for my skills assessment and employment assessment at the same time.
    I've been working as a chartered accountant for around 8 months - somebody told me I need at least a year's employment before I can apply - but I don't see anything like this on the website - only that I need >20hrs/wk in continuous employment over 'a period of time'

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Anybody know how much work experience is required before applying for the Skilled Employment Assessment?

I'm applying for my skills assessment and employment assessment at the same time.
    I've been working as a chartered accountant for around 8 months - somebody told me I need at least a year's employment before I can apply - but I don't see anything like this on the website - only that I need >20hrs/wk in continuous employment over 'a period of time'

Hi whatif, you won't get any points for less than 1 years work experience so getting your time assessed by the chartered institute in Australia won't be of any help to you (it is usually only worth it to aid your application for claiming points for skilled employment)

Have you enough points without the skilled employment?

• Advertisement

Hi there - yes, I did well in the IELTS thankfully, so have enough points for the EOI without the work experience.
    Maybe I was mistaken in thinking there was a minimum work experience requirement for the Skills Assessment

Hi there - yes, I did well in the IELTS thankfully, so have enough points for the EOI without the work experience.
    Maybe I was mistaken in thinking there was a minimum work experience requirement for the Skills Assessment

There wasn't for mine. Degree is all they needed but I had a few extra things to hand over.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Hi guys, would work experience earned in Canada be sufficient for the 189 visa? I am an electrician and in Canada where I have being working as of late, technically one has to work 'supervised' prior to sitting the Canadian equivalent trade exam. Most of my work experience in Canada would fall under this category. Would this qualify as 'work experience' for the Australians? What are they like in this area?

Also I have work experience from Ireland a few years back but the employer has gone to ground...

Any suggestions? I would have payslips and P60.

Thanks

Hi Lorne, have a look on the immigration website, they're pretty comprehensive.
    If your skillset is on the updated SOL (skilled occupation list), then it will list the assessing body in Australia that will deal with assessment of your skills.
    It's from their website that you will obtain an application form listing what they require for the skill assessment.
    Each assessing body has differing requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Hi Lorne, have a look on the immigration website, they're pretty comprehensive.
    If your skillset is on the updated SOL (skilled occupation list), then it will list the assessing body in Australia that will deal with assessment of your skills.
    It's from their website that you will obtain an application form listing what they require for the skill assessment.
    Each assessing body has differing requirements

Thanks for the info-)

The trade I work in is on the SOL.

I am just curious about specific work experience, to gain points for an EOI profile and whether my work experience in Canada qualifies to submit to the Australian Border Force?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Hey just wondering how soon you can get Medicare? Is it as soon as your visa is lodged?

rightyabe wrote: »
    Hey just wondering how soon you can get Medicare? Is it as soon as your visa is lodged?

Yep when its lodged you're eligible for Medicare.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Hi all

I will be on a 457 with my company two years next month, so I was going to apply for pr through them. Someone told me you have to stay with the company for two years after pr is approved? Is this true? My plan was as soon as I got it to look for other jobs

Hi all

I will be on a 457 with my company two years next month, so I was going to apply for pr through them. Someone told me you have to stay with the company for two years after pr is approved? Is this true? My plan was as soon as I got it to look for other jobs

Frowned upon but circumstances change and Immi understand that. They won't revoke your PR for leaving a company but I wouldn't leave the next day you get PR. Give it a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Frowned upon but circumstances change and Immi understand that. They won't revoke your PR for leaving a company but I wouldn't leave the next day you get PR. Give it a couple of months.

Great! A few months is fine, thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thedarksh1te

Hey Folks,
    I've had a job offer and the company will take over my 457, (expect the process to start next week) however I've to come home for a wedding in a 10 days (I'm best man) do I have to be in the country for the visa to switch over to the new employer does anybody know?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭crazy8

Coming off 457 applying for PR via ENS Temporary Residence Transition stream...

Is there a limit on the amount of time you can spend abroad which impacts the eligibility to apply? Essentially I am looking to "work from home" in Ireland and also take holidays to extend the amount of time I can be in Ireland, make the most of it. I thought I read something a year or so ago regarding that if you had been outside of Australia for more than 8 weeks over a two year period then that would make you ineligible to apply for PR?? Can't find it now... or am I thinking of citizenship requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi all

There no requirement to stay with the company any length of time.
    In order to qualify for PR the position must be contracted for least two years. But just like any job, you are not obliged to stay with a company for the entire contract.
    crazy8 wrote: »
    Coming off 457 applying for PR via ENS Temporary Residence Transition stream...

Is there a limit on the amount of time you can spend abroad which impacts the eligibility to apply? Essentially I am looking to "work from home" in Ireland and also take holidays to extend the amount of time I can be in Ireland, make the most of it. I thought I read something a year or so ago regarding that if you had been outside of Australia for more than 8 weeks over a two year period then that would make you ineligible to apply for PR?? Can't find it now... or am I thinking of citizenship requirements?

You are thinking of citizenship requirements.
    You can apply for PR without ever having stepped foot in australia.
    But bare in mind that there's a condition on your 457 that you can't cease working for more than 30 days. If you are doing paid work from overseas, then you are still working for them. But I wouldn't be taking unpaid leave for an extended period.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭crazy8

Thanks for that Mellor, was worried the conditions might have changed but all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Mellor wrote: »
    There no requirement to stay with the company any length of time.
    In order to qualify for PR the position must be contracted for least two years. But just like any job, you are not obliged to stay with a company for the entire contract.

You are thinking of citizenship requirements.
    You can apply for PR without ever having stepped foot in australia.
    But bare in mind that there's a condition on your 457 that you can't cease working for more than 30 days. If you are doing paid work from overseas, then you are still working for them. But I wouldn't be taking unpaid leave for an extended period.

Hey Mellor, Im on a 457 but my PR application should be lodged in 2-3 weeks hopefully. Im going back to Ireland for xmas on the 12th of Dec and staying until at least early Feb...Will this 30 day rule affect me?

Cheers

Hey Mellor, Im on a 457 but my PR application should be lodged in 2-3 weeks hopefully. Im going back to Ireland for xmas on the 12th of Dec and staying until at least early Feb...Will this 30 day rule affect me?

Cheers

Hmm I'm not sure that's right. If you leave an employer you used to have 30 days to find a new employer or your visa would be revoked but now it's 90 days.

It's been a while now since I was on a 457 but I don't remember there being a condition that you could only go on leave with an employer for a maximum 30 days and then would have to return to work.
    Condition 8107
    Condition 8107 requires that as a primary holder of a subclass 457 visa you must:
    • work in the occupation for which you were nominated
    • commence that work within 90 days of arrival in Australia
    • obtain any registration or licensing necessary to perform your occupation in Australia
    • work for the sponsor, or an associated entity of the sponsor, who nominated the position you are
    working in, and
    • not cease employment for a period of more than 90 consecutive days.
    You are considered to have ceased employment when either you or your employer gives notice of
    intention to cease employment and the date of the notice of intention to cease employment has
    passed. If more than 90 consecutive days have passed since the date in the notice of intention to cease
    employment, you may be in breach of Condition 8107 and may have your visa cancelled.
    In the event that you abandon your employment, or are absent without leave, you may be considered to
    have ceased employment.
    If your visa is about to cease, and you want to apply for another subclass 457 visa, you must lodge a new
    visa application.
    If you want to change employers while you still hold a valid 457 visa you do not need to apply for a new
    subclass 457 visa, however a nomination must be lodged and approved by your new sponsor before you
    commence working for the new sponsor.

They're all the conditions I could find directly relating to work. Only talks about AWOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Yep when its lodged you're eligible for Medicare.
    but only for PR visa's, you won't qualify for Medicare if it's a 457, although emergency and maternity care is covered by the reciprocal health agreement, regular medical expenses like GP Cover etc. aren't covered, so you will only get a Medicare card with a PR visa, which is why people recommend private health insurance like Bupa (with ambulance cover), otherwise you could end up paying out a lot of money for medical care.

a good tip for anyone who has/had cover wityh Laya in Ireland is to get a letter from them before you leave showing your insurance dates and cover, as we used that to show we were previous customers of bupa and as long as there hasn't been more than 3 months without cover, they will waive the 12 month waiting period and still cover any previously covered existing conditions you may have when you take out your new aussie health insurance, which is good. :)

ironically, even though I'm a Brit, the "no medicare for 457's" rule still applies to me too as I was an Irish resident when I emigrated to Oz, so for Medicare purposes I'm Irish and 'need not apply' and actually got 'shooed' out of the door of the Medicare office with my Irish wife and kids by the women checking peoples details as they came in the door. :eek:

vibe666 wrote: »
    but only for PR visa's, you won't qualify for Medicare if it's a 457, although emergency and maternity care is covered by the reciprocal health agreement.

I dont know why you're quoting me with that. Rightyabe was asking about PR not 457's. There's ample threads on this forum with that information. Crops up every couple of weeks.

Also sucks about your situation but Medicare isn't all its cracked up to be when you can get a medicare levy exemption on a temporary visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cheers

It's 90 days now. I forgot they increased it.
    It's been a while now since I was on a 457 but I don't remember there being a condition that you could only go on leave with an employer for a maximum 30 days and then would have to return to work.

Maybe i'm misremembering how it was phrased on the old conditions. I remember asking IMMI about leave and going home (I was taking my annual leave plus a week or two unpaid leave). And I was told I couldn't take leave for more than 30 days. Maybe they meant I couldn't absent without leave for more than 30 days :confused:

Anyway, ignore that. as you pointed out. It's 90 days now.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    but only for PR visa's, you won't qualify for Medicare if it's a 457
    They have applied for a PR visa. (its the PR thread).
    ironically, even though I'm a Brit, the "no medicare for 457's" rule still applies to me too as I was an Irish resident when I emigrated to Oz, so for Medicare purposes I'm Irish and 'need not apply' and actually got 'shooed' out of the door of the Medicare office with my Irish wife and kids by the women checking peoples details as they came in the door. :eek:
    There isn't any "no medicare for 457's" rule.
    Either you are eligible for medicare or you aren't. Being on a 457 doesn't affect this.

At a different centre, or a different day, you might have walked away with a medicare number.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    It's 90 days now. I forgot they increased it.

Maybe i'm misremembering how it was phrased on the old conditions. I remember asking IMMI about leave and going home (I was taking my annual leave plus a week or two unpaid leave). And I was told I couldn't take leave for more than 30 days. Maybe they meant I couldn't absent without leave for more than 30 days :confused:

Anyway, ignore that. as you pointed out. It's 90 days now.

They have applied for a PR visa. (its the PR thread).

There isn't any "no medicare for 457's" rule.
    Either you are eligible for medicare or you aren't. Being on a 457 doesn't affect this.

At a different centre, or a different day, you might have walked away with a medicare number.

I never called them about it but that would be a bit ridiculous if you're taking unpaid leave (it being logged in the system thus you're still on the company books) for more than 30 days (previous system) you'd have your visa revoked. There could be any amount of reasons for this. Not to mention a number of 457 workers would be on Casual contracts so wouldn't have any annual or sick leave to begin with.

There are a lot of grey areas in 457 visas.

As for the medicare thing I tried three different centres when I was on 457 and no luck. All around Brisbane though. I was of the understanding that because of the reciprical agreement you couldn't avail of it until PR.

Advertisement