Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 misslynny

Hi
    I'm thinking about going to OZ on a WHV I currently work as a Health care assistant in sligo . It's called assistant in nursing/nursing assistant in Oz. I have a FETAC LEVEL 5 from ireland. Hoping its the equivalent certificate in Oz...

Does any1 know if it's easy to get a job in this area.?
    I know i have to pass a chest xray and check up.

Im hoping to do my farm work first. Whats it like to get a job on a farm.
    dunno what part of OZ yet...

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lyn

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭monariek

has anybody got some recent experience of the waiting times for 186 visas? submitted early january and just wondering how many months we can expect to be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

monariek wrote: »
    has anybody got some recent experience of the waiting times for 186 visas? submitted early january and just wondering how many months we can expect to be waiting.

its backlooged to the hilts , lodged early november , was told to expect it to me may....last month , they were still processing jun to aug applications

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Update,

Did the IELTs, got: 9.0, 9.0, 8.5 & 7.5... Going for superior - need 8.0 in all four, off to do it again on Saturday :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Update,

Did the IELTs, got: 9.0, 9.0, 8.5 & 7.5... Going for superior - need 8.0 in all four, off to do it again on Saturday :o

There are a few money grabbing things I've seen but the IELTS exam takes the lot. Shambles.

I'd say unlucky mate but I suspect you were just shafted by a dodgy corrector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 imagine_08

Hi All

I have a rather tricky situation I hope can be answered on here.

I have been 2 years on my 457 and my company will not nominate me. They have instead said that all that they are willing to do is extend my 457.

Now my partner is the defacto on my 457. Her company may be willing to nominate her instead and have me go defacto on that application which would allow us to get pr quicker and also allow me the freedom to move companies.

Does anybody know how this process takes place?

Thanks guys

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

imagine_08 wrote: »
    I have been 2 years on my 457 and my company will not nominate me. They have instead said that all that they are willing to do is extend my 457.
    That sucks. They are under no obligation to nominate, but not idea why they wouldn't if they are willing to go the 457 route.
    Now my partner is the defacto on my 457. Her company may be willing to nominate her instead and have me go defacto on that application which would allow us to get pr quicker and also allow me the freedom to move companies.

Does anybody know how this process takes place?
    From nomination to grant? Maybe 6-8 months.
    Could be process in 3, might take 12. Depends on lots of factors. The fact she isn't going via the transition stream won't help speed it up

Thanks Mellor

I think they feel that I will quit once I get PR ( which I definitely will now after this ) They have given me assurances that they will nominate me in 12 months time but that doesn't help me as it could be close to 2 years then before I can get out

My Partner is working with her current company for 3 years now as defacto on my 457 visa. Does this help?

What would her company need to do ? Would they need to lodge a separate 457 visa application for her? or Can they nominate her on 186 visa and have me defacto on that application?

Furthermore would my Visa status change then and would my employer need to know that we have gone this route?

Sean

imagine_08 wrote: »
    My Partner is working with her current company for 3 years now as defacto on my 457 visa. Does this help?
    Whether she has been working for them or not has no real bearing on a 186 visa.
    What would her company need to do ? Would they need to lodge a separate 457 visa application for her? or Can they nominate her on 186 visa and have me defacto on that application?
    Why would she need a 457 application for her?

They just lodge a 186 application with you as a defacto partner on that application.
    Furthermore would my Visa status change then and would my employer need to know that we have gone this route?
    I think technically your visa status would be unchanged, and your 457 would remain valid. If you were to leave your employer (or be let go) while it's processing. DIBP would grant a bridging visa until a decision is made. You employer doesn't need to be told that you are going that route. Even after it is granted, you could continue to work there as a PR until you decided to leave.

Thanks Mellor

I was thinking that as she was the second person/defacto on my visa, that we would need to do something else. If it is as you say then her company should be able to apply for the 186 visa through Temporary Residence Transition stream (so essentially not needing a skills assessment) as she is with them 3 years. Is that not correct?

• Advertisement

It will be Direct Entry stream on the 186 and a skills assessment will be needed. Temporary transition stream only applies to primary visa holder

Thanks Mellor. You've been a great help. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Applied for 186 in early December... What are the chances of getting it before May 5th?!

Applied for 186 in early December... What are the chances of getting it before May 5th?!

It would probably be tight, but possible.
    Actually, when was the nomination submitted? As that appears to be one that sets the timeline.

If you keep an eye on this thread you'll see how other people are travelling. Most of the feb nomination approvals were lodged in august. From comments they have started contact employers who lodged in september for info.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/158703-skillselect-ens-186-timeline-1974.html

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Anyone know how the 189 visas are moving at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Mellor wrote: »

This is a brilliant website! It's like boards but for emigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunsetter

Windorah wrote: »
    Anyone know how the 189 visas are moving at the moment?

Got mine 2 months after applying, let me know if you need any help

• Registered Users Posts: 37 whatif...

Applied for my 189 visa yesterday as an accountant. Very excited. Hoping to move to Sydney. Will be heading on my own. 32yo female. Surf's up!

whatif... wrote: »
    Applied for my 189 visa yesterday as an accountant. Very excited. Hoping to move to Sydney. Will be heading on my own. 32yo female. Surf's up!

Exciting!

I applied for mine at the end of October 2015 and got it at the start of Jan

Lots to do before the actual applying though, bloody IELTS!!

I knoooooow!
    I actually had to sit the IELTS twice last year & it really held up the process for me just waiting around either for results or for the next available date.

So I did the Expression of Interest already (w 75 points) & got invited to apply for the visa yesterday so fingers crossed shouldn't be waiting more than 3 months.

I put Sydney down on the form as I thought that's where the jobs were for Chartered Accountants.
    I'm just in contact with a friend in Brisbane now & I'm thinking of changing my mind & going to Brisbane. Exciting as it is & I'm sure I would settle eventually - the thought of going over to a friendly face is much more comforting to heading to a big city on my own...

Anyone know what the jobs market is like in Brisbane at the mo? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

sunsetter wrote: »
    Got mine 2 months after applying, let me know if you need any help

Thanks man.

Just got an email off the agent and he says the processing times are now 6.5 months! Bit disappointing as if the visa came in before May 5th our soon to be daughter would have been an automatic citizen.

Thanks man.

Just got an email off the agent and he says the processing times are now 6.5 months! Bit disappointing as if the visa came in before May 5th our soon to be daughter would have been an automatic citizen.

According to the immi website it's still 3 months but yeah actual times do vary (I cant paste a linnk cos im new)

I used pomsinoz dott com and it proved to be very useful in getting 'on the ground' data from people who are in the process themselves.. great for tips etc. and there is a google docs spreadsheet somewhere that everyone uses to keep track of the average waiting time

sorry i just noticed you are applying for a 186 so it says 6 months on the IMMI website

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭JR1210

I moved to Oz half way through 2015.. Anyone know the best way to claim back tax in Ireland? Used to be able to do it through PAYE Anytime but cant access it

JR1210 wrote: »
    I moved to Oz half way through 2015.. Anyone know the best way to claim back tax in Ireland? Used to be able to do it through PAYE Anytime but cant access it

You should be able to fill in a P21 balancing statement online via ROS. How come you can't get into your PAYE Anytime account? Should be relatively straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 13 akkakkman

Hi all,

wondering if anyone has any advice on the following.
    I was looking to apply for a 189 visa and was working with a migration agent who was sure I could apply for this visa type. However since looking at the SOL I don't see my occupation listed there but I do see it on the CSOL (and there are also multiple similar occupations to mine listed on the CSOL).

Anybody know if there was some loophole the agent was going to use?
    (I'd ideally try not use an agent and save the few grand)
    Also if like the CSOL there are multiple similar occupations listed when you get your skills assessed do you pick only one occupation or can you have your experience assessed under multiple occupations for a better chance of approval (I doubt it). I just haven't got that far in the prices yet so just curious how that piece works. Is that bit easy enough? (I have 10 years experience in my occupation)

Are people taking IELTS for points basis or as a requirement? If for points basis has anyone taken the Pearsons PTE, and any particular reason why not?

Hi - I've applied for my 189 without using an agent. It took me awhile to find out a few things the hard way - but I don't think agents are worth the exorbitant prices they charge.
    What is your occupation?
    Mine is an accountant so it was pretty straightforward with regards the SOL.
    Yes, I had to take the advanced IELTS for points as it was the only way for me to make up the requirement

whatif... wrote: »
    Hi - I've applied for my 189 without using an agent. It took me awhile to find out a few things the hard way - but I don't think agents are worth the exorbitant prices they charge.
    What is your occupation?
    Mine is an accountant so it was pretty straightforward with regards the SOL.
    Yes, I had to take the advanced IELTS for points as it was the only way for me to make up the requirement

Thanks Whatif, yes I too thought the fees were a little high and I thought I'd be doing a lot of the ground work gathering documents etc anyway....The only justification I can now see is some inside knowledge of some loopholes.

I need to take the English exam for points but the agent advised the PTE as it is 'scored a little easier'. So there you have some inside knowledge I'm not sure you would find too easily.

From the CSOL the following all look very similar and look to fit with my occupation:
    Software Tester
    ICT Systems Test Engineer
    ICT Quality Assurance Engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

The SOL and CSOL are not the same. You can only use the SOL for independent visas (i.e. the 189). You cannot use an occupation on the CSOL for a 189 application. That is for state sponsorship, employer sponsorship and 457 visas.

So if you can't find a relevant occupation on the SOL your only real hope is to apply for a state sponsorship visa. With this visa you're supposed to nominate a state and once visa is granted live and work there for two years.

You need to find the relevant assessing authority for your occupation. There should be information on their website on what's required for a skills assessment.

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    The SOL and CSOL are not the same. You can only use the SOL for independent visas (i.e. the 189). You cannot use an occupation on the CSOL for a 189 application. That is for state sponsorship, employer sponsorship and 457 visas.

So if you can't find a relevant occupation on the SOL your only real hope is to apply for a state sponsorship visa. With this visa you're supposed to nominate a state and once visa is granted live and work there for two years.

You need to find the relevant assessing authority for your occupation. There should be information on their website on what's required for a skills assessment.

Thanks irishmover, I did know the CSOL and SOL were different and that the SOL applies for the Independant 189 visa ! However a migration agent advised I could apply for the 189 and that's the bit where I'm a bit stumped.

In reading a bit further on the requirements for the 189 I spotted this:

To claim points for skilled employment you must have, in the 10 years before you were invited to apply, at least 20 hours of paid work per week in your nominated skilled occupation and/***or a closely related occupation.***

I wonder can I get points based on working in IT and applying under one of these on the SOL as they are closely related to what I do:

ICT business Analyst - this closely matches my experience and arguably I have been doing this for the past 2 years.
    Systems Analyst - same as above.
    Analyst Programmer - bit of a stretch....
    Developer Programmer - bit of a stretch....
    Software Engineer - bit of a stretch....

Does anyone have experience of applying for a 189 with an occupation that is *closely related* to one on the SOL?

Might be a bit of a longshot especially seeing as the CSOL contains all of the occupations I listed above from the SOL but doesn't contain what I actually do.

Advertisement