Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

A job offer is one thing, the red tape and sponsoring process is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

LizOHagan wrote: »
    Hello...see my responses above...Liz

Liz - quick question

What documentation for work experience assessment needs to be certified copies. I know the Reference Letters should be but what about: tax documents, payslips etc (other supporting documentation I am including) - do these need to be certified copies too or will photocopies suffice for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seller2010

Hi justa quick question for experts out there. my husband is a telecoms engineer and from looking at recruitment sites it seems that they are in demand in Oz but the jobs offered do not offer sponsorship. We were looking at the 175 visa and cannot believe the cost of applying. We would happily pay it if we were to get a refund if visa was not forthcoming but seems that it is non-refundable??
    So, we were wondering if it is the case that his skill is particularly sought after then would we be better off waiting till after the new system is implemented in July i.e. if we submit our expression of interest and get called upon to submit an application then is this an indication of a good chance of success with our application?
    I should also point out that he is 39 so not sure if age is going against us at this stage. He would also be bringing baggage in the form of me and 3 toddlers, does this affect his application? I do hope to work there and while i'm on the sol, i don't think that i'm particularly in demand in Oz
    Thanks

Sorry forgot to add that I have a brother in oz with pr so would it be any quicker/easier/cheaper to apply for 176 visa with him as my sponsor?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Just wondering how long the visa process takes from the point where your case office receives your medicals and police clearances for the 175 visa?

Im at this stage now. Im assuming its kinda in the bag at this stage...

hopefully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Just wondering how long the visa process takes from the point where your case office receives your medicals and police clearances for the 175 visa?

Im at this stage now. Im assuming its kinda in the bag at this stage...

hopefully :D

Did they ask for it or you just gave them to them?
    They asked for mine and was finalised within a few days after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

hussey wrote: »

They asked for them so I'm in the process of getting them now.Will probably take me a couple of weeks to get all the stuff together as I have to add my son to the visa also with the 1022 form.

So is the visa activated from the date of the medical/police clearance?

If so is it always a year you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

bigbadcon wrote: »
    hussey wrote: »

They asked for them so I'm in the process of getting them now.Will probably take me a couple of weeks to get all the stuff together as I have to add my son to the visa also with the 1022 form.

So is the visa activated from the date of the medical/police clearance?

If so is it always a year you get?
    No it's granted when it's granted(usually when police&med certs are cleared) and activated when you arrive in Aus (or for ENS on grant day)

and Yes 1 year for activation

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Redpaddyx All documents need to be scanned originals or certified copies...Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

guys wonder if anyone can help me with this one...

im applying for a indepentant visa (175 i think) and am now at the skills assessment stage, i am a qualified nurse of 2 years and qualified here in Ireland, so my question is do i need a skills assessment done? someone said if you qualified in an EU country you dont need one any truth in it?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shrickman

folks,
    I think it's too late to get your visa app in before the 1st July. Why? Well in my case vetass the Aussie dept that assess my skills and qualifications don't seem to be looking at any new applicants this side of July.it says so on their website.in saying that they sent me the form and were willing for me to sbmir it with $670 fee. So without your. Qualifs being rubber stamped you can't apply for the visa.so your bunched until July.

I'm open to correction on this btw..
    Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Shrickman wrote: »
    folks,
    I think it's too late to get your visa app in before the 1st July. Why? Well in my case vetass the Aussie dept that assess my skills and qualifications don't seem to be looking at any new applicants this side of July.it says so on their website.in saying that they sent me the form and were willing for me to sbmir it with $670 fee. So without your. Qualifs being rubber stamped you can't apply for the visa.so your bunched until July.

I'm open to correction on this btw..
    Anyone?

I was in touch in the institute that are doing my skills assessment and they said turn around time will be 1-2 weeks so as long as I have it in by the start of June I should be fine.

It must just depend on the department that is providing the skills assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

trixyben wrote: »

im applying for a indepentant visa (175 i think) and am now at the skills assessment stage, i am a qualified nurse of 2 years and qualified here in Ireland, so my question is do i need a skills assessment done? someone said if you qualified in an EU country you dont need one any truth in it?

cheers
    I would think so , what does the FAQ say in relation to your skill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shrickman

Hi Fiona,
    WHo is your assessing body? is it Vetaassess? cos it looks like theyre not taking anymore apps

cheers

Everyone needs a skill assessment for GSM, you cant apply without one or your application would be rejected, did you not read this?

I think 'someone' is confused with a 457 where certain countries have to do a skills assessment.

If you are a nurse you probably should look at this

http://www.anmc.org.au/userfiles/file/international_docs/On-Line%20Application%20Information%201%20july%202011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

cheers

Not sure of this is any good to you but when you apply online for 175 visa, there is the option for selection "Receipt for Skills Assessment" when you go to upload documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dollymixx

A little off topic here but without starting another thread I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I'm in the process of applying for pr (856 ens) - do I need to complete Form 80 (character assessment)? I have a checklist from immi which is dated January 2012 which does not mention it, however I have heard of others submitting it and have seen it referred to in another checklist for the same visa, also from immi.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who knows - I've had a look through here and poms and can't find a definitive answer...

Dollymixx wrote: »
    A little off topic here but without starting another thread I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I'm in the process of applying for pr (856 ens) - do I need to complete Form 80 (character assessment)? I have a checklist from immi which is dated January 2012 which does not mention it, however I have heard of others submitting it and have seen it referred to in another checklist for the same visa, also from immi.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who knows - I've had a look through here and poms and can't find a definitive answer...

I did include Form 80 in my application, safer doing it rather than they come back and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

RedPaddyX wrote: »
    Liz - quick question

What documentation for skilled work experience assessment needs to be certified copies for application to Engineers Australia? I know the Reference Letters should be but what about: tax documents, payslips etc (other supporting documentation I am including) - do these need to be certified copies too or will photocopies suffice for these?

Anyone got an answer to my question? Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

LizOHagan wrote: »
    Redpaddyx All documents need to be scanned originals or certified copies...Liz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SteveGalway33

Does anyone know how difficult it will be to gain a visa once SkillSelect come in?

Will the minimum points still be 65?

Will a person be able to see their position on the list?

For example, if 200 people on the list, can we see their points, compared to mine etc?

• Advertisement

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice re my post above
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

seller2010 wrote: »
    Hi justa quick question for experts out there. my husband is a telecoms engineer and from looking at recruitment sites it seems that they are in demand in Oz but the jobs offered do not offer sponsorship. We were looking at the 175 visa and cannot believe the cost of applying. We would happily pay it if we were to get a refund if visa was not forthcoming but seems that it is non-refundable??
    So, we were wondering if it is the case that his skill is particularly sought after then would we be better off waiting till after the new system is implemented in July i.e. if we submit our expression of interest and get called upon to submit an application then is this an indication of a good chance of success with our application?
    I should also point out that he is 39 so not sure if age is going against us at this stage. He would also be bringing baggage in the form of me and 3 toddlers, does this affect his application? I do hope to work there and while i'm on the sol, i don't think that i'm particularly in demand in Oz
    Thanks

Sorry forgot to add that I have a brother in oz with pr so would it be any quicker/easier/cheaper to apply for 176 visa with him as my sponsor?

Hello Seller2010....I will attempt to assist...

- With regards to the cost the likely difference between applying now and after July 1st is the Visa application charge which is currently 2960 Aust dollars. Whilst this is not refundable you really shouldn't apply unless you are eligible. Overall the costs are not high considering the outcome can be permanent residency in Australia. If you haven't started the process then it would seem you are looking post July 1st as time is against you.

- The risk with the new system is that you are competing with others. If others that lodge an EOI have a higher passmark than you then they will be invited to lodge a visa application and you may not. You still have to invest in the skill assessment and ielts test before you lodge the EOI so you will have to outlay funds and no refunds apply.

- Having dependents does not have an adverse affect on the process.

- Under the existing program it will not be quicker /easier or cheaper to go under a 176 visa with your brother. Australia is moving away from family reunion etc and is focusing on skills.

Hope this helps...Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kpars

Hi wondering if anyone can help us. We are a family of 5 wanting to apply for 475 visa as we have relatives in OZ who can sponsor us. I have 23 years experience in admin and partner just finishing college. I would be main sponsor. Questions are would my partner get points for degree even though no results to June. Would I qualify under SOL. Are we to late for July deadline. What is cost of visa. Someone told us second installment would be wavered as partner would have a degree. How long does 475 visa usually take to process. Please help as kids anxious to move before christmas to start new year in Aus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What skill are you expecting to be sponsored under? As your relative cant sponsor you without some company employing you.

Thanks Liz, I will get started on the skills assessment so. Any idea what a realistic time frame would be for completion of the skills assessment? My husband has a diploma in electronic engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kpars

My background is administration in hospital. We were told by australian embassey we could be sponsored by brother as he a citizen and lives in a designated area. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Hi
    Just a quick question to see if anyone has experience of moving from a 417 to an 856. My employer has basically said its up to me whether I go for 457 or 856.

Can I get a bridging visa or some sort of exception to the 6 months per employer rule while I wait for the visa?

And lastly which should I go for?

Sundy wrote: »
    Hi
    Just a quick question to see if anyone has experience of moving from a 417 to an 856. My employer has basically said its up to me whether I go for 457 or 856.

Can I get a bridging visa or some sort of exception to the 6 months per employer rule while I wait for the visa?

And lastly which should I go for?

First thing would be can you obtain a skills assessment in order to lodge your 856?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

mandrake04 wrote: »
    First thing would be can you obtain a skills assessment in order to lodge your 856?

Yeah that's not a problem, both my qualifications are on the list and I can get them assessed by the SSSI and from talking to the person there, it should be a formality.

Basically from my research I qualify for the 856 no problem, it's just the 6 months per employer than I'm unsure about.

• Advertisement

Sundy wrote: »
    Yeah that's not a problem, both my qualifications are on the list and I can get them assessed by the SSSI and from talking to the person there, it should be a formality.

Basically from my research I qualify for the 856 no problem, it's just the 6 months per employer than I'm unsure about.

Easy if you are ready to to submit an application for a new visa, apply for an extension.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/request-whm-extension.doc

Of course if you are looking to apply for an 856 you need a skills assessment, that could take a month or maybe 2 to obtain and so could hold up your application for an extension.

Advertisement