Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If you have the choice the 856 every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 9332EDWARD

I hope you don't mind answering a few questions to see if I am entitled to apply for the new 189 visa.

1. For the previous work experience 5 years from the last 10 years, do the years have to be continuous years.

2. Likewise 12 months form the last 24 months work, does this have to be continuous.

3. Qualifications, I have a trade cert and an Engineering Degree, should I get both attested, also can I claim the 15 points from the degree if I am applying for the visa as an Electrician.

4. Does the visa application require all payslips or will P60 and letters of references and dates from employers do.

5. Convictions, I have a drug conviction from 2003, I hope to get it taken off my record when the spent convictions bill is introduced later this year. Will this go against me.

6. How much do you charge for the 189 visa when it is introduced.

Regards
    Edward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Easy if you are ready to to submit an application for a new visa, apply for an extension.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/request-whm-extension.doc

Of course if you are looking to apply for an 856 you need a skills assessment, that could take a month or maybe 2 to obtain and so could hold up your application for an extension.
    Just got off the phone from the professional body who will assess my degree. They reckon 2 weeks max to get my degree recognised.

So I'm going to push for the 856. Its gona cost a bit but seeing as im in the situation to get it, I might as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dollymixx

I understand that there are some changes to visa fees after July 1, i.e. That for some visas you will now be charged for the primary and secondary applicant. Does anyone know if this applies to ens 856?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

I have a quick question in relation to the points test that I can't figure out from reading the immi website.

If I want to claim the 15 points for my Bachelor degree do I need to get some sort of verification that it is of an equivalent standard to an Australian degree or will it be enough to send on my transcripts, parchment & certified copy of grading system?
    I have an arts degree from UCD.

Alternatively, I have an accountancy qualification that is being assessed for my skills assessment. Would I need to send in anything in addition to my skills assessment if I wanted to claim the 10 points for that instead of the 15 for the Bachelor degree?

I only need the 10 points so I'll go with whichever one of the above options is more straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

anyoen any idea how long the victoria state sponsership process takes? I've applied for that and will be hopefully sending my documents off to be assesed for the points on the DIAC in the next week or so.

I know the assessment costs money so am i better off waiting for the changes to come in on July 1st before starting anything? i mean the assessment by the ACS will tak a few weeks i'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Quick question for those in the know. Currently living in Sydney and I have a 457 visa, but thinking of applying for PR before the 30 June deadline, the girlfriend is AITI qualified (Irish Institute of Tax) and we were wondering if her skills as an AITI member and with over a years experience of working in a tax role in Australia would be recognised by the Australian institute of Chartered Accounts for the skills list as a taxation account for the 175 visa?

So if anyone has applied with just AITI qualification and been accepted it would be great to know and learn of your experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lmgclarke

Just back from Perth visiting my friend which I do once a year, but this time I've decided I'd like to make the move, but I have no idea where to start. The more I look into it the more confused I get. I am a restaurant manager been in my job for 15 years, current one for 6 and have a degree in hospitality mgt. I'll be 34 this year. Anyone have any suggestions where and how I start this process?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

Hi all,

I am looking to move to Oz towards the end of the year. I am in talks with a recruitment agency in Sydney about jobs. The 2 companies who are hiring at the moment offer sponsorship. If I was applying for a visa myself I would want a residency migration visa. Can companies offer this? Also would I have to work for these companies for a certain length of time before I move jobs etc? What should I be asking the company for?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cancan1984

hi declan, thinking of applying for skilled migration visa, just wondering what proof do i need to supply regarding my work experience in my trade( qualified carpenter) for 12 months out of the last 24. i have pay slips and reference from my employer stating my duties etc.. will i need tax records ie p60 or any other documents??
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Melon what do you expect of the visa? I have never heard of a residency migration visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

How long does it take normally for the 175 visa to be granted since the medicals have gone into a "finalised" state.

Mine are like that since the 17th of May...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭scunner

Hi all,
    We are in the process of sending of our application to visafirst and was just wondering about the deadline of 1st June. I take it that having it with them before then is no guarantee?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Scunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Penny77

Just wondering would my skills qualify under the Washington Accord Qualifications. I have a diploma in Engineering(level 7 ) and post graduate diploma(level 9) but I have NO Bachelor of Engineering Degree. Any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sh2

All,

Apologies if this has been covered a million times - I flicked back a few months on the thread but didn't see it covered.

I'm currently on 417 WHV which expires in Dec. I'm looking into 457/175 options. Having heard varying reports, has anyone recently applied for the 175 while in the country and how long did it take from beginning to end? I've been told that you can apply while in the country and leave and re-enter to activate it when it is finalised? I would like to apply for the 175 but I know I'm short on time since I'd be looking to get it at the latest early next year. If I think I have a chance to get it within that time range, I may try apply before the new system kicks in next month.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Hi,
    Been reading a bit about the migration skills and am interested in working in oz for a year to see what its like and get some work experience which would be useful if i came back to ireland to work.
    I saw the Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485) and it sounded perfect as I will be a recent graduate with no experience. But I've seen somewhere that it is only if you spent 2 years of your degree studying in australia, is that correct?

If my main purpose is to work for 12 months, a WHV will not do since my "main purpose is to work", right?

Thanks

Yipee!!!!!

175 Visa Granted today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Congrats Con :)

Cheers zweton,

Think Ill be picking your brain about Brisbane soon as I think thats where were planning to go around March 2013 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

No worries!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

I am about to apply for either a 175 or 176 state sponsored visa this week I qualify for both. what is the difference in processing times between both visas? Would I be looking at a minimum wait of 1 year for a 175. How strict are they on you changing states on a 176 before the end of the first two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

I am about to apply for either a 175 or 176 state sponsored visa this week I qualify for both. what is the difference in processing times between both visas? Would I be looking at a minimum wait of 1 year for a 175. How strict are they on you changing states on a 176 before the end of the first two years?

176 visas have been processed quicker (by several months) up until now. However, with a new visa system from July 1st it is hard to predict processing times. Hopefully Immigration will provide processing guidelines in July.

The obligation under a 176 is an agreement with the relevant state and each operates the program differently.

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Yipee!!!!!

175 Visa Granted today :D

Congratulations and best of luck.

Penny77 wrote: »
    Just wondering would my skills qualify under the Washington Accord Qualifications. I have a diploma in Engineering(level 7 ) and post graduate diploma(level 9) but I have NO Bachelor of Engineering Degree. Any experience of this?

Have a look at this website for guidance.

scunner wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We are in the process of sending of our application to visafirst and was just wondering about the deadline of 1st June. I take it that having it with them before then is no guarantee?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Scunner.

The abovementioned is a commercial company and apply on your behalf for a visa. Immigration are changing the skilled visa program on July 1st so your decision is whether to apply under the existing system or the new system.

Nothing is ever guaranteed with Visas so do your research and ensure you understand exactly what steps you need to take and when.

Alway seek clarification from commercial companies in writing.

Good Luck :)

sh2 wrote: »
    All,

Apologies if this has been covered a million times - I flicked back a few months on the thread but didn't see it covered.

I'm currently on 417 WHV which expires in Dec. I'm looking into 457/175 options. Having heard varying reports, has anyone recently applied for the 175 while in the country and how long did it take from beginning to end? I've been told that you can apply while in the country and leave and re-enter to activate it when it is finalised? I would like to apply for the 175 but I know I'm short on time since I'd be looking to get it at the latest early next year. If I think I have a chance to get it within that time range, I may try apply before the new system kicks in next month.

Thanks!

Hello, you can be in Australia when you apply for a skilled visa however no bridging visas are available so timing is important. With a new skilled visa program coming in on July 1 it is hard to predict processing times for the 175 visa. I suggest you act with caution and keep an eye out for the new processing timeframes published by Immigration when the new program is underway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Having a quick look online HERE

Is the only difference between the 175 and 176 visa the state/family sponsorship? And is this sponsorship just to assist with accumulating enough points to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

:) Hi Declan or Liz ,

Im i just seeing thing ?

After july the 1st min points are 60 for skill migration ? are they still counting the scores the same ,
    Thats brillant news for alot of people .

:Dhttp://www.newsroom.immi.gov.au/media_releases/1063

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boredjim

Hi all,
    Just been reading this thread and its so hard to keep track of all the info, so just have a few questions of my own. My girlfriend and I have decided to move to perth for a few years, but as I am 31 I cant get a WHV. I am a pipefitter/plumber with 7 years qualified experience I know its on the SOL. Wont be going until next march but I am anxious to get the ball rolling and start applying. What are my best options for a visa, or for finding a company that may be willing to sponsor me from Ireland??
    I know this has all been covered but if anyone has anything to offer please do!!
    Thanks Jim

• Advertisement

teepee wrote: »
    :) Hi Declan or Liz ,

Im i just seeing thing ?

After july the 1st min points are 60 for skill migration ? are they still counting the scores the same ,
    Thats brillant news for alot of people .

:Dhttp://www.newsroom.immi.gov.au/media_releases/1063

Hello...yes new passmark is 60 points HOWEVER all prospective applicants should aim for the highest score possible as the new system is invitation only so those with the higher scores will have a better chance of an invite.

Advertisement