Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Here's the deal

Your $350 (€270) 457 is not migration its only a basic temporary work permit, you are not entitled to Medicare or any family allowance/Benefits or anything like that.

If you husband Partner is sponsored on a 457 and he lost his job or the employer went bust then unless he was able to secure sponsorship with another employer within 28 days the whole family will have to leave the country. You are there to do a job and if that falls through so does your right to live in Australia. A 457 is not even a guarantee to become a PR but is an indirect route, you still basically need to meet the same criteria on a 457 as you do sitting at home in Ireland.

Your €3000-€8000 Migration visa is like it says on the tin... Migration, you have basically have the same rights as an Australian you can work for who ever you want or work self employed, medicare, school fees, family benefits etc.

The old... you get what you pay for etc
    Mandrake,
    I'm an OT as well,
    Have you completed the OT skills assessment, http://www.cotrb.com.au/index.htm, it costs $500, and it will take up to twelve weeks. Then you have to get registered with http://www.occupationaltherapyboard.gov.au/. Not sure how the registration works, but as far as i can make out, you wont be able to get work without registration, and you need to have the skills assessment done in order to register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

ANAPOLIS wrote: »
    I too have been looking into moving to Oz or new zealand. i have looked at all the skills assessments but unfortunately my occupation is not on there:( im an unemployed plant operator,(i see loads of jobs advertised on different sites yet plant operator is not one of them:( i am almost 42 and would be leaving my wife and family behind for 12months or more.

how does someone of my age get a work visa:(? cheers:o

http://www.acacia-au.com/anzsco/399211.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carrick34

HI ALL MY HUSBAND HAS TO DO A SKILLS ASSESMENT FOR A CARPENTER WITH VICTORIA UNI. HE HAS TO DO A PAPERWORK ASSESMANT FIRST PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I HAVE TO INCLUDE HAERE? WILL 4 YEARS P60'S BE ENOUGH. HE DOES NOT HAVE TRADE PAPERS BUT DID A FAS COURSE BUT JUST DID NOT FINISH LAST BLOCK. HE HAS OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE BUT CAN ONLY PROVIDE P60'S FROM 07 TO 11 AS THE REST ARE LOST. WILL THIS BE OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

carrick34 wrote: »
    HI ALL MY HUSBAND HAS TO DO A SKILLS ASSESMENT FOR A CARPENTER WITH VICTORIA UNI. HE HAS TO DO A PAPERWORK ASSESMANT FIRST PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I HAVE TO INCLUDE HAERE? WILL 4 YEARS P60'S BE ENOUGH. HE DOES NOT HAVE TRADE PAPERS BUT DID A FAS COURSE BUT JUST DID NOT FINISH LAST BLOCK. HE HAS OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE BUT CAN ONLY PROVIDE P60'S FROM 07 TO 11 AS THE REST ARE LOST. WILL THIS BE OK?

Hello Carrick34,

The Vic Uni website has good guidelines on requirements but essentially you need to demonstrate his skills pathway to becoming a carpenter, so references and details on informal apprenticeship, work experience to date as well as tax documents. As much detail as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carrick34

thanks Liz
    my husbands first employer that he has most of his experience with is now deceased and i can only find one of his p60's from 2003 what would you advice? He has an old reference from him stating the dates that my husband worked for him. He has as i said references and p60s from his two previous employers taking him from 2007 until 2011. he has been unemployed from 2011 until now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Does the new system still only take into account one degree ?, Also do you still need 2 years experience to get a permanent visa?, I'm currently on a Job bridge program to get the 2 years experience I need so I can leave Ireland for good.

I have the following...

Electrician, Electrical Services Engineering Degree & Electrical & Electronic Engineering Degree plus 1 year experience in Substation Design.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Also could I apply for a 485 Visa "Graduate Visa" or do I have to being in college in Australia for 2 years ?
    This visa is for you if you are an overseas student who:

is under 50 years of age

in the last six months has completed an eligible qualification(s) as a result of at least two years study in Australia

has the skills, attributes and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

Im just looking at the last line.

carrick34 wrote: »
    thanks Liz
    my husbands first employer that he has most of his experience with is now deceased and i can only find one of his p60's from 2003 what would you advice? He has an old reference from him stating the dates that my husband worked for him. He has as i said references and p60s from his two previous employers taking him from 2007 until 2011. he has been unemployed from 2011 until now

Hello,

Unfortunately I am unable to give clear advice on such a complex set of circumstances on an open forum such as this especially when I have so little background details. I suggest you continue with the research yourself or contact a competent migration agent from www.mara.gov.au and meet with them to discuss the best way forward.

Best of luck...Liz

EDIT:- I just noticed on a different thread that you have a Migration Agent - in which case they should from the outset explain exactly what documents are required and in what format and if you are eligible to pass the skill assessment criteria.....as you appear to have lodged an application I am surprised your work experience paperwork such as what the skill assessment now requires was not submitted in the visa application? I would be asking the question of the migration agent rather than a public forum.....

What is the advantage of using an agent if you know the steps yourself with regards what you need to do to get a 5 year Australian Migration Visa. I mean correct me if im wrong but as far as I know heres what I need to do

1.Pre application skills assessment-cost 590 euro

2.IELTS- cost 185 euro

3.Visa application-2544 euro

4.Police clearance-free

5-Medical-275 euro

Can't I do all the above myself without an agent, of course if using an agent gives me even the slightest advantage I don't mind paying for the service.

Can someone tell me what Liz O' Hagan charges for her service in total

Also if I failed the medical would the visa fee be refundable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Shadow if you want to know Liz s fees please just pm her or call her office.

• Advertisement

What is the advantage of using an agent if you know the steps yourself with regards what you need to do to get a 5 year Australian Migration Visa. I mean correct me if im wrong but as far as I know heres what I need to do

1.Pre application skills assessment-cost 590 euro

2.IELTS- cost 185 euro

3.Visa application-2544 euro

4.Police clearance-free

5-Medical-275 euro

Can't I do all the above myself without an agent, of course if using an agent gives me even the slightest advantage I don't mind paying for the service.

Can someone tell me what Liz O' Hagan charges for her service in total

Hello Shadowcomplex

Using a Migration Agent is a matter of CHOICE. You can certainly apply and be successful on your own and many are. Reasons one may choose to use a Migration Agent include -

- some people struggle to understand the paper process and the documentation required
    - some are unsure of their eligibility due to lack of qualifications and work experience
    - some do not understand the points test
    - some need assistance with the preparation of work experience documents
    - some have character or health issues
    - some like the convenience of having someone else tell them exactly what is required rather than conducting research themselves
    - some simply like peace of mind, similar to a tax agent - you can do it yourself or use a tax agent who are experts in this area

In your summary above you have missed the EOI which is a vital step in the process.

My fees vary according to the service YOU require - so as little as 100 euros or as much as 2000 euros - you decide

I hope this helps, Liz :)

Also if I failed the medical would the visa fee be refundable

No refunds apply under any circumstances. Medical issues should looked at before the process begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When apply for a PR visa after being on a 457. Sometimes the skills assessment can be skipped.

Is this only for ENS PR visas, or does it apply to others with the latest changes.
    Is the requirement 2 years in the position on a 457 or or simple 2 years in the role.

Link to relecant info on immi.gov.au

Mellor wrote: »
    When apply for a PR visa after being on a 457. Sometimes the skills assessment can be skipped.

Is this only for ENS PR visas, or does it apply to others with the latest changes.
    Is the requirement 2 years in the position on a 457 or or simple 2 years in the role.

Link to relecant info on immi.gov.au

Hello Mellor

Changes from July 1st can be found here http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-186/

Specifically - Choose the Temporary Residence Transition stream if you are a subclass 457 visa holder who has worked for your employer for two years in the nominated occupation and your employer wants to offer you a permanent position in that occupation. If you apply for the Temporary Residence Transition stream, your skills do not need to be assessed because you have already worked for your nominating employer for two years in Australia.

Thanks Liz.
    Could you clarify one thing. I'm currently on a 457 visa and have been for just over a year, but I'm in this position almost 2 years including time whilst on a 417 and a Bridging visa while the 457 was processing.

Can I apply once I have two years in this position, or does only time on a 457 count. Can't find a clear answer on immi.gov.au

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Hi folks,

Firstly apologies if this is a silly question, Im lacking of details and would like some clarification if someone could help.

I work for an Irish/UK company who have also got a company in Australia,

I have been offered a position with their AU operations, I am told that they have a 'block' of visas available for professionals who they bring over which will be available to me,

I looked at immi.gov and am unsure of what category these visa's may be,

I also have another query, supposing I travelled with them and worked for a number of months with this company, would I be permitted to leave this job should I decide and work in other areas of employment? - Not that I plan on as of yet but I would like to travel the country after a while and perhaps sustain myself along the way, or would I be required to leave the country and apply for a WHV?

Apologies again for the uninformed nature of my post :(

It could be a 457 visa. The "block" of visa available is probably a number of positions nominated for 457 visas. If that is the visa, then if you leave the company the visa expires. At the very least you'd have to go to new zealand and apply for a WHV.

It could also be an a set of positions nominated for residency, ie ENS visas. But this is a lot less likely imo, IF that was the case, you could do as you wish as you'd be a permanent resident of australia. But I really have to stress, its a lot less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Ok folks this VISA stuff is quite new to me...

I applied for a position on Melbourne and within the last few days, I have been getting emails from the employer mentioning that they maybe interested in offering me the position but they are want to know what is my visa status.

In Ireland, I have been working in IT for the last 15 years, and have a postgrad diploma in IT, I am 40 yrs old.

What is the best approach when is comes to a visa? The company in Oz have asked me how long with it take for me to get a visa, but I am unsure as what visa to look for, is it a 457 work visa??

I have a brother there in Oz for the last few months, he is on a 457 visa with his employer.

Please help? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

It could be a 457 visa. The "block" of visa available is probably a number of positions nominated for 457 visas. If that is the visa, then if you leave the company the visa expires. At the very least you'd have to go to new zealand and apply for a WHV.

It could also be an a set of positions nominated for residency, ie ENS visas. But this is a lot less likely imo, IF that was the case, you could do as you wish as you'd be a permanent resident of australia. But I really have to stress, its a lot less likely.

Thanks Mellor, very helpful :)

I very much doubt it would be the latter, as you say, (given my relatively junior position in the company) I would be almost certain they would not be nominating residency for me.

At least I know where I stand now, thanks again.

Thanks Liz.
    Could you clarify one thing. I'm currently on a 457 visa and have been for just over a year, but I'm in this position almost 2 years including time whilst on a 417 and a Bridging visa while the 457 was processing.

Can I apply once I have two years in this position, or does only time on a 457 count. Can't find a clear answer on immi.gov.au

Hello Mellor....haven't had a chance to study full legislation but on initial reading it is the position on the 457 that is needed to avoid the Skill Assessment.

• Advertisement

LizOHagan wrote: »
    Hello Mellor....haven't had a chance to study full legislation but on initial reading it is the position on the 457 that is needed to avoid the Skill Assessment.
    The position is on the 457 currently. It's the time frame I'm unsure about.
    An example might make it easier. Generally;

I've been with the company 24 months. In the same position. This position in on the SOL and always has been. Of that 24 months, 6 months were on a WHV, 3 months on a Bridging visa and 15 months on a 457 visa. Immi.gov.au says
    Choose the Temporary Residence Transition stream if you are a subclass 457 visa holder who has worked for your employer for two years in the nominated occupation and your employer wants to offer you a permanent position in that occupation

Strictly speaking, I'm on a 457 visa, and have worked for the employer for two years in the nominated position, and I'll be offer a permanent position in that same occupation. so I meet the above. But I'd need be sure of how the two years is calculated as $3k is a lot to risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fizzlefozzle

i have a masters from a few years ago, but i have little experience, like under a year.

When you get a skills assessement, do you need to have at least 2 years experience, or can you just be a graduate of a course from a university that qualifies as the occupation? Is that sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm still reading through the thread in my spare time looking for info, but i thought i'd throw this out there in the hope of getting some advice in the mean time.

my situation is that i've always had it in my mind that i would emigrate to Oz in the next couple of years with my wife and our 11 month old son, but it turns out that due to a respiratory medical condition the irish climate is very bad for him and a warmer, dryer climate such as that in Oz would suit him a lot better, so after spending 2 separate weeks in temple street with him since january (one in the ICU), we've decided to accelerate our emigration plans as much as possible for the sake of our child's health as his condition that has caused us so many issues here would be practically non-existent over there.

I work in IT and there are contracting jobs out in Oz that i could do standing on my head where I could make at least double or close to 3 times what i make here, which would allow my wife to give up work entirely (which we would like, but can't afford to do here) to look after our son full time.

I'm currently 35, British (but an Irish resident since 2001) and my wife (also 35) and child (currently 11 months) are Irish.

ideally, we'd be looking at Melbourne or Perth, altough I'm not sure if the colder, wetter winters in Melbourne would be too close to the Irish climate for him. The other benefit to Perth would be that my brother lives there and is an Australian citizen with an Aussie wife and 3 kids and has been there for the last 15+ years.

He thinks that his company could offer me a job and sponsor me and says that we would be able to stay with him until we get on our feet, which I think would be ideal. He or his wife could also potentially sponsor me if that might be a better (i.e. quicker) option for us to get out there sooner, and the sooner the better tbh.

i'm just not sure what the best way of maximising our chances of getting in (and quickly) are?

looking at the SOL i'd be classed as an IT systems analyst (code 261112). I have 17 years experience in IT and have worked for 3 of the top 5 IT companies in the world in that time in both the UK and Ireland (and still working for one of them now) and have industry recognised qualifications to back up my experience so I think I should (hopefully) be able to get in on that alone.

I'd be hoping to be out there before the end of the year if all goes well with around €20k in the bank to get us started, but I don't know how feasible it is to go to Oz as an IT contractor, or would I need to take a permanent role in order to get in?

looking at jobs there, perm roles in my field are still offering good money (touching 6 figures), but a contracting role or two for the first 6-12 months would give us a much better leg up and give us a lot more flexibility due to the increased earning potential, I just don't know if it's going to be a possibility as an immigrant, or if i'd need something permanent and a company sponsorship?

I was in Oz when I was 19 on a 3 month holiday visa and i'm wondering if we might go out there with something like that to start with just to get out there and take it from there or if it would be too risky?

any thoughts?

thanks in advance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

For anyone interested in transferring 457 Visa to a different company.

Been on my 457 for 9 months. I applied 4 days ago for my Visa to be transferred to the new company I'm moving to and I got it granted today. No Occupation change.

People on here in the past said it's a difficult process to change companies on a 457. Well it wasn't for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm still reading through the thread in my spare time looking for info, but i thought i'd throw this out there in the hope of getting some advice in the mean time.

my situation is that i've always had it in my mind that i would emigrate to Oz in the next couple of years with my wife and our 11 month old son, but it turns out that due to a respiratory medical condition the irish climate is very bad for him and a warmer, dryer climate such as that in Oz would suit him a lot better, so after spending 2 separate weeks in temple street with him since january (one in the ICU), we've decided to accelerate our emigration plans as much as possible for the sake of our child's health as his condition that has caused us so many issues here would be practically non-existent over there.

I work in IT and there are contracting jobs out in Oz that i could do standing on my head where I could make at least double or close to 3 times what i make here, which would allow my wife to give up work entirely (which we would like, but can't afford to do here) to look after our son full time.

I'm currently 35, British (but an Irish resident since 2001) and my wife (also 35) and child (currently 11 months) are Irish.

ideally, we'd be looking at Melbourne or Perth, altough I'm not sure if the colder, wetter winters in Melbourne would be too close to the Irish climate for him. The other benefit to Perth would be that my brother lives there and is an Australian citizen with an Aussie wife and 3 kids and has been there for the last 15+ years.

He thinks that his company could offer me a job and sponsor me and says that we would be able to stay with him until we get on our feet, which I think would be ideal. He or his wife could also potentially sponsor me if that might be a better (i.e. quicker) option for us to get out there sooner, and the sooner the better tbh.

i'm just not sure what the best way of maximising our chances of getting in (and quickly) are?

looking at the SOL i'd be classed as an IT systems analyst (code 261112). I have 17 years experience in IT and have worked for 3 of the top 5 IT companies in the world in that time in both the UK and Ireland (and still working for one of them now) and have industry recognised qualifications to back up my experience so I think I should (hopefully) be able to get in on that alone.

I'd be hoping to be out there before the end of the year if all goes well with around €20k in the bank to get us started, but I don't know how feasible it is to go to Oz as an IT contractor, or would I need to take a permanent role in order to get in?

looking at jobs there, perm roles in my field are still offering good money (touching 6 figures), but a contracting role or two for the first 6-12 months would give us a much better leg up and give us a lot more flexibility due to the increased earning potential, I just don't know if it's going to be a possibility as an immigrant, or if i'd need something permanent and a company sponsorship?

I was in Oz when I was 19 on a 3 month holiday visa and i'm wondering if we might go out there with something like that to start with just to get out there and take it from there or if it would be too risky?

any thoughts?

The quickest and easiest is definitely the sponsorship route, but it has lots of drawbacks e.g visa tied to job, loss of bargaining power for pay etc. Are you thinking of going with a consultancy and working for them or setting up as independent contractor? No reason why you couldn't work as sponsored worker for consultancy, have met several British and Irish guys working for various IT consultancies around Melbourne, many of them are sponsored.

If you can put the time and money into the process it sounds as though skilled independent visa would be best option. Gives you much more freedom.

I am not on perm visa yet but working as fixed term contractor here in Melbourne, was self-employed consultant back home but it's hard to crack into that here until you have built some local experience and have a good network of contacts built up, that's hugely important here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

vibe666 wrote: »

any thoughts?

Vibe,

Your best bet would be to go for a state sponsored visa(190) e.g SA,WA,VIC etc. This visa is the fastest of the two(processing time), you need to get your skills assessed by relevent assessing body. In your case it will be the ACS(australian computer society) it will take about 3 mnths for this but then the 190 visa itself will only take a few months.
    I know this because i am going down the same route myself and have been looking at the timelines on specific forums and they are coming through very fast. With that many years in I.T you will walk into a job over here be in contract or permanent. Dont use a migration agent as they will charge you 3-4k for doing paperwork which essentially you can do yourself(they are just a middleman). The hardest part about it is the ACS where you are required to send them alot of documentation e.g qualifications, payslips and any other docs that may help your case.
    Like i said all in all if you get the ball rolling NOW you could have your visain 6 months. If you have any questions i would be delighted to help you out as this is one source of info i used along my journey.
    Its not hard at all its more of a waiting game and systems analyst is in high demand. Take a look through each of the states e.g South Australia
    https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/State%20Nominated%20Occupation%20List%202012-13.pdf

systems analyst is in the high availability zone and it has just been released so prob wont fill up for a few months. The states have also lifted the "moral obligation to live and work in state applied to" as of from 1st July so you can apply for South Australia(state sponsored) and once you and your family get the visa you are free to go work and live wherever you want. Company sponsored may be quicker but you will be tied to them for 4 years, and having 17 years in I.T its not like you are just starting out in the industry. This 47 visa is very much suited to grads that have no exp in their industry and really need to put down the 4 years before they move on again. Anyway,PM me if you want any more advice on the this as i have alot of exp on what you should and should not do :-) Best of look,oh ya and check out pomsinoz.com and britishexpats.com they are a mine of info and alot of people are going through the same process.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

guys back at the start of May i applied for the skilled nominated 190 visa with the state of Vistoria. well today I recieved an email from them telling me i need a skills assesment. i applied under the nominated occupation 26311 Network and Systems engineer.

I know i need my skills assessed by the ACS and I'm working on getting transcripts and references from employers (1 of each left to get) do i need any other supporting documents? or would you recommend any other documents to help teh process along?

Also I dont know anything about this skillselect thing, do i need to do anything for that first? or do i wait until after the ACS have responded?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Its nearly that time where I get to ask the boss about getting sponsored on a new visa. Im currently on a 417 WHV and I want to apply for the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) through the company.
    I plan on doing the Direct Entry stream which means I have to:
    -Provide a positive skills assessment in your nominated occupation
    -Provide evidence of at least three years of relevant work experience
    -Have competent English.

My question is on the second point. I started my apprenticeship in car mechanics in late September 2007 and got qualified just this year in the middle of April. I got left go then at the end of April and then came out here in June.
    Ten months of my apprenticeship was off the job training meaning I was in FAS studying. So Im only been working as a qualified mechanic for about 2.5 months. Do I actually need 3 years experience as a qualified mechanic or just 3 years experience in the fields of mechanics before I can qualify for a 186 visa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Someday I asked your question here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056730681

They might know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 beoffthen

Help Advise needed !!

We are a family thinking of emigrating to Australia, and we are not sure if my OH fetac level 6 major award is a recognised qualification in Australia, she runs her own pre school here in Ireland and is looking at applying for a skilled migrant visa, as child care is on the skilled jobs list but not sure if the fetac level 6 is recognised over in Australia if any has done this or has any advise we would really appreciate any help.

Advertisement