Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bump On Fish

Options
  • 05-01-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭

Hello hello

I apoligies in advance if this has already been asked a million times. But I have searched the net now and there isnt much showing up like me goldfish bump.. So be kind

So I has 4 fish. The goldfish Patrick has has a white bump but not a fungi looking bump just where his tail begins. It wasnt always there appeared around 6 months ago but recently it got bigger. The I spotted a bump behind Dave (his a black moore) just behind his eye.

Again it doesnt look like fungi but I just presumed it was and picked up some treatment in the shop..Which well just turned the water green even without the carbon in the filter...And Patrick and Dave are still the same..

It doesnt seem to be affecting them they fly around the tank and poop all the time..So should I be worried about them Id hate to loose them as I have had them for a few years now...I can try get a snap of them later on if it helps

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Could be a lot of things, but a pic would really help.

In the meantime, what size tank and how many fish? Do you know your water quality, and how often do you do water changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hello hello I is finally back, sorry was knocked out with a cold. Pics are below sorry if they are a bit big or too small. But anywho the moore has the bublle thing on the back of his left eye and patricks is on his tail. As i say it doesnt affect them but i just hope it wont do anything nasty to them.

I change the water really only when it looks like it needs to be changed, i use the bacteria stuff in the water to get rid of the poop as they poop a lot the mingers. And i check the PH level and use tap safe in the water when needed. And the tonic salts which I put in this time changing the water and there doesnt seem to be any changes..

thanks again for the help much appreciated..

patrick1pg.jpg

dave1q.jpg

patrick2j.jpg

patrick3t.jpg

dave3.jpg

dave2r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

hmm, as far as i can see it could still be a lot of things: a fungus, a tumour, a parasite.

With regard to your water change policy, the first thing would be to check nitrites/nitrates/ammonia etc. With sick fish I would immediately increase your water changes - you dont say how often you change it but id be changing 25% up to every few days if i suspected there was an issue that might be related to water quality.

What do you mean by 'you use the bacteria stuff to get rid of the poop'??
    I change the water really only when it looks like it needs to be changed, i use the bacteria stuff in the water to get rid of the poop as they poop a lot the mingers. And i check the PH level and use tap safe in the water when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Goldfish poo a hell of a lot,polluting the tank very quickly. I would do a water change of 25% at least once a week. Use a hose to syphon the poo off the bottom into a bucket. Treat the replacement water with a dechlorinator,and leave it to sit,preferably overnight before topping it up.
    Looking at the water,as you suggest,won't tell you anything. The fish are suffering due to poor water maintenance.

:) Hello, I cant think of the name now of the bacteria for the poop. You get it in a small little bottle and add a bit to the tank evey now and again it breaks down the poop great stuff.

It is an odd one I really do not think it is fungus as I have seen that on a few fish and this seems more solid. I shall try the water changing and see if they improve any, I would hate for something to happen..

thank you too rangi. Although I is not appreicating the last line of your comment "Looking at the water,as you suggest,won't tell you anything. The fish are suffering due to poor water maintenance", jumping the gun a little there and a bit contradictionary of yourself.

As you say you cant judge the water by just looking at it, so cough cough how can you tell me that my fish are suffering by poor water maintenance but just looking at a photograph...Not being cheeking I do appreciate any help but help again not remarks like that :D

• Advertisement

milly - how often do you change your water and how much of your water do you change out when you do it?
    Hello, I cant think of the name now of the bacteria for the poop. You get it in a small little bottle and add a bit to the tank evey now and again it breaks down the poop great stuff.

Im just always wary of stuff like this - if you do appropriate water changes there should be no need for it. A stable tank should not need any chemicals (except for treating tap water)

Hi fungun,

I suppose im trying to think now, I would change roughly 25% of it every 3-4 weeks. As they have always seemed happy enough with this, this is the first time anything like this has happened with them. I suppose as they are getting bigger it could be time to change them more frequantly.

I cant even find that poop stuff on the net there, I will check the name at home. You are right thinking about it as with everything else the less you mess around with the water the better it is for them as apllies to most things. :D

yeah i dont think 25% every 3-4 weeks is really enough, although it also depends on the size of your tank and how stocked it is (how large is your tank?) Elevated nitrates etc from slightly poor water quality just make the fish weaker for fighting a whole range of diseases....and its still quite difficult to tell from your photos - does it look at all like any of the photos of tumours half way down this page (or search for 'tumour'): http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/gldfshdisfaq21.htm

Oh dear some of those pics would make you cry poor fish :(..

Looking at that the 3rd picture down the text from Briony, although not as servere on patrick and dave it would look more like this alrite (a more solid lump)... Sorry I am such a dumb ass when it comes to the size of tanks i will have to measure it. Tis big enough (sorry i know that is vague) I only upgraded it during the summer for them and they have grown since then already.

I shall read through all those articles thank you so much see if there is anything I can do for them, I have them all now for nearly 4years I would hate to loose them. And change the water more often im on it... I hope there is something that will gt rid of it, I just got one of these http://www.fish-school.com/ from himself for christmas for them

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Milly33,I apologise if my comments came acroos the wrong way,they weren't intended to. I was in a rush,and didn't explain what I wanted to properly.I too wouldn't be keen on using any chemicals to 'break down' the poo,I don't know of any that do this,and I've been keeping fish for 25 years. I think most of those things are a gimmick,and are just a money maker for businesses.There's no substitute for good water maintenance in my experience.

• Advertisement

Hello Rangi, thanking you I accept your apology :) only messing. I know what you mean when you are replying quickly things go a-scew..

When i get home I am going to chuck the poop stuff, the little buggers will just have to learn to hold it. I still cant belive how much they poop.. And I am on the case I shall clean out their water more often, really they have got so much bigger since the new tank during the summer they need it more... Must call for more tap safe too, to make sure I am all prepared for them.

Thanks again for all the help everyone...I shall post updates... :D

Advertisement