Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a bank account in Oz for free before I leave

Options
  • 05-01-2012 5:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Is this possible? is there a website or company located in ireland that do this for free or is there a charge for them all? Im going over on a WHV at the end of january also, arriving in brisbane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

do it yourself, afaik all the major australian banks allow you to open a bank a/c here online before going over.
    google commonwealth bank, anz bank, nab, to name but a few

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Not only can you get your bank account set up before you go but it is advisible to have it sorted before you go because once you arrive in Australia, you need to show evidence of your address with utility bills etc if you are trying to get it set up from within the country.

If you set it up before you go, you need to present your passport at your local abnk branch when you arrive so you can collect your bank card.

ANZ is probably the best of them - major reputable bank.
    If you have difficulties, different companies will offer this servcie as part of a package.

Hope this helps,

Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not only can you get your bank account set up before you go but it is advisible to have it sorted before you go because once you arrive in Australia, you need to show evidence of your address with utility bills etc if you are trying to get it set up from within the country.

If you set it up before you go, you need to present your passport at your local abnk branch when you arrive so you can collect your bank card.

ANZ is probably the best of them - major reputable bank.
    If you have difficulties, different companies will offer this servcie as part of a package.

Hope this helps,

Declan Clune
    MARN 1001083

In my experience they're one of the worst, if not the worst, and I work in the industry.

Surprised to hear that Xavi6. My experience with ANZ has been very different ! I have nothing but good things to say about them.

For people out there - other good options for people out there include
    • NAB
    • Commenwealth
    • Westpac
    Ask if they a migration dept too that can help in a variety of ways.
    Maybe Xavi6 can give more insight too.

Thanks,

Declan Clune

Banked with them for my first two years here and they were a nightmare in terms of fees and also very unhelpful when I informed them I was closing my account. Different experiences for everyone though.

The NAB account is quite popular and they explain it quite well on their website so I'd personally check that out first.

The thing is you don't have to open one from overseas, you can stroll into a bank on your first day here and get one set up on the spot when you've had a chance to ask some questions in person.

Either way do it yourself, it's simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I went with westpac. Also opened at super saver account for my super annuation to be paid into. Saves you chasing it up with different employers when the time comes. Just give them your super account details.

Xavi6 wrote: »

... The NAB account is quite popular and they explain it quite well on their website so I'd personally check that out first. ....

Yes they have a migration section which is useful too for people making the move.

Good advise too from Slunk about the Super saver account for the superannuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

NAB was considered the number 1 from choice money in 2011
    http://www.choice.com.au/choiceawards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Not true. On a WHV all you need is passport as proof of ID and you can set up account in a branch within a few minutes.
    Setting up an account online or in person makes no difference, the anti money laundering and ID requirements don't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

When you apply for a new Oz account online, say for instance with NAB, do they send you your A/C number through the post to your Irish address? or do the email it to you?

Just wondering, as I am setting one up and also a CF account to transfer funds from my Irish, but I will need my sort code and bank a/c number to complete this. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Applied online for a NAB account last week but haven't heard a dickie-bird since. Not even an email confirming my application. How long does it usually take before they contact you about your account details?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Applied online for a NAB account last week but haven't heard a dickie-bird since. Not even an email confirming my application. How long does it usually take before they contact you about your account details?

Im in the same position.

Call them and find out - +61 3 8641 9083

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Im in the same position.

I emailed them today asking about my application & they emailed me my account info a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

when i was in oz you can set up a bank account within the first 6 weeks of entering the country on a whv, after 6 weeks you need utility bills

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

when i set up a bank account online, do i just walk into a bank branch out there and collect my debit cards or do they post them on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

sponge_bob wrote: »
    when i set up a bank account online, do i just walk into a bank branch out there and collect my debit cards or do they post them on here?

You head into a branch and verify your idenity usually a passport. They then process 'stuff' and post cards and pin within a few days

Advertisement